Dr Pham was trained as medical doctor in Vietnam and completed his PhD at Burnet Institute under Associate Professors Stanley Luchters and David Anderson, and Professor Suzanne Crowe AM.
Dr Pham has more than 15 years experience in the field of public health, including 10 years working for the Vietnam Ministry of Health on health system strengthening and health policy.
Before commencing his PhD at Burnet, Dr Pham served as project director and program team leader at different International Public Health Organisations in Vietnam including Management Science for Health (MSH), PATH and Pathfinder International.
Dr Pham’s areas of interest include: validation and implementation of novel point-of-care diagnostic technologies, reproductive health, maternal and child health, infectious diseases, HIV/AIDS, health system/health policy research, and health financing.
- 2018: Adjunct Research Fellow, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Monash University.
- 2018: Burnet Institute Fellow, International Development
- 2018: Senior Research Officer, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
- 2014-2017: Research Officer/PhD candidate, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
- 2013: Project Director, Leadership Management and Governance project, Management Science for Health (MSH), Vietnam
- 2011-2012: Program team leader, Reproductive Health and Public-Private Partnership (PPP) projects, PATH, Vietnam
- 2009-2010: Program manager, policy and health system strengthening sub-program, Pathfinder International, Vietnam
- 2000-2009: Public health specialist, Ministry of Health of Vietnam
- 2018: PhD, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2005: MPH, University of Alabama at Birmingham, USA
- 1998: MD, Hanoi Medical University, Vietnam
Blood-borne virus and STI self-testing❗Student Projects Available
Global Monitoring Platform for Maternal and Newborn Health
Novel PoC Testing for Diagnosis of Active Syphilis in Pregnant Women and Infants in Fiji
The Optimise Study: Optimising Isolation, Quarantine and Distancing for COVID-19
The PharmEC REACH study
- The effect of the Xpert HIV-1 Qual test on early infant diagnosis of HIV in Myanmar and Papua New Guinea: a pragmatic, cluster-randomised, stepped-wedge, open-label trial.
Mohamed Y, Htay H, Gare J, Vallely AJB, Kelly-Hanku A, Yee WL, Agius PA, Badman SG, Pham MD, Nightingale C, Chen XS, Kombati Z, Koata A, Munnull G, Silim S, Thein W, Zaw TM, Kyaw LL, Stoové M, Crowe SM, Anderson D, Tin HH, Luchters S
Lancet HIV. 2023 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- Validation of a novel point-of-care test for alanine aminotransferase measurement: A pilot cohort study.
Howell J, Van H, Pham MD, Sawhney R, Li F, Bhat P, Lubel J, Kemp W, Bloom S, Majumdar A, McCaughan GW, Hall S, Spelman T, Doyle JS, Hellard M, Visvanathan K, Thompson A, Drummer HE, Anderson D
Liver Int. 2023 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Left behind on the path to 90-90-90: understanding and responding to HIV among displaced people.
Vasylyeva TI, Horyniak D, Bojorquez I, Pham MD
J Int AIDS Soc. 2022 Nov; 25(11):e26031
- Validation of novel point-of-care test for alanine aminotransferase measurement: A pilot cohort study.
Howell J, Traeger MW, Williams B, Layton C, Doyle JS, Latham N, Draper B, Bramwell F, Membrey D, McPherson M, Roney J, Stoové M, Thompson AJ, Hellard ME, Pedrana A
Clin Liver Dis (Hoboken). 2022 Oct; 20(4):136-139
- Improved rapid diagnostic tests to detect syphilis and yaws: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Zhang Y, Goh SM, Mello MB, Baggaley RC, Wi T, Johnson CC, Asiedu KB, Marks M, Pham MD, Fairley CK, Chow EPF, Mitjà O, Toskin I, Ballard RC, Ong JJ
Sex Transm Infect. 2022 Sep; 98(8):608-616
- Point-of-Care Diagnostics for Diagnosis of Active Syphilis Infection: Needs, Challenges and the Way Forward.
Pham MD, Ong JJ, Anderson DA, Drummer HE, Stoové M
Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022 Jul; 19(13):8172
- Viral load monitoring for people living with HIV in the era of test and treat: progress made and challenges ahead - a systematic review.
Pham MD, Nguyen HV, Anderson D, Crowe S, Luchters S
BMC Public Health. 2022 Jun; 22(1):1203
- Reaching people receiving opioid agonist therapy at community pharmacies with hepatitis C virus: An international randomised controlled trial.
Byrne CJ, Radley A, Inglis SK, Beer L, Palmer N, Duc Pham M, Allardice K, Wang H, Robinson E, Hermansson M, Semizarov D, Healy B, Doyle JS, Dillon JF
Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2022 May; 55(12):1512-1523
- The relationship between team dynamics with healthcare coordination and clinical work satisfaction among Commune Health Workers: A Bayesian model averaging study.
Ngo TT, Van Nguyen H, Pham TH, Van Nguyen T, Vu KD, Pham MD, Phung D, Thi Tran AN, Nguyen PT, Le PM, Thi Dao AM, Ngo HT, Van Hoang M.
Int J Health Plann Manage. 2022 Apr; 37(5):2684-2696
- A profile of the Visitect(R) CD4 and Visitect(R) CD4 advanced disease for management of people living with HIV.
Pham MD, Stoove M, Crowe S, Luchters S, Anderson D`
Expert Rev Mol Diagn. 2022 Mar; 22(3):247-252
- Impacts of High Environmental Temperatures on Congenital Anomalies: A Systematic Review.
Haghighi MM, Wright CY, Ayer J, Urban MF, Pham MD, Boeckmann M, Areal A, Wernecke B, Swift CP, Robinson M, Hetem RS, Chersich MF, Climate Change And Heat-Health Study Group
Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2021 May; 18(9)
- The COVID-19 global pandemic: a review of the Vietnamese Government response.
Tran LTT, Manuama EO, Vo DP, Nguyen HV, Cassim R, Pham M, Bui DS
J Glob Health Rep. 2021 Apr; 5:e2021030
- Vietnam’s healthcare system decentralization: How well does it respond to global health crises such as covid-19 pandemic?
Nguyen HV, Debattista J, Pham MD, Dao ATM, Gilmour S, Nguyen HL, Nguyen TV, Le PM, Nguyen PT, Tran ATN, Vu KD, Dinh ST, Minh Van Hoang MV
Asia Pac J Health Manag. 2021 Jan; 16(1):i619
- Loss to follow up of pregnant women with HIV and infant HIV outcomes in the prevention of maternal to child transmission of HIV programme in two high-burden provinces in Papua New Guinea: a retrospective clinical audit.
Kelly-Hanku A, Nightingale CE, Pham MD, Mek A, Homiehombo P, Bagita M, Nankinga J, Vallely A, Vallely L, Sethy G, Kaldor J, Luchters S
BMJ Open. 2020 Dec; 10(12):e038311
- Associations between high temperatures in pregnancy and risk of preterm birth, low birth weight, and stillbirths: systematic review and meta-analysis.
Chersich MF, Pham MD, Areal A, Haghighi MM, Manyuchi A, Swift CP, Wernecke B, Robinson M, Hetem R, Boeckmann M, Hajat S; Climate Change and Heat-Health Study Group
BMJ. 2020 Nov; 371:m3811
- Performance characteristics of an instrument-free point-of-care CD4 test (VISITECT(R)CD4) for use in resource-limited settings.
Vidhyavathi V, Iqbal HS, Kanthamani K, Solomon SS, Nandagopal P, Luchters S, Pham MD, Forbes J, Crowe SM, McMurran C, Anderson DA, Balakrishnan P
J Int Med Res. 2020 Sep; 48(9):300060520955028
- Reaching mEthadone users Attending Community pHarmacies with HCV: an international cluster randomised controlled trial protocol (REACH HCV).
Byrne C, Radley A, Inglis SK, Beer LJZ, Palmer N, Pham MD, Healy B, Doyle JS, Donnan P, Dillon JF
BMJ Open. 2020 Aug; 10(8):e036501
- Improving the coverage and accuracy of syphilis testing: The development of a novel rapid, point-of-care test for confirmatory testing of active syphilis infection and its early evaluation in China and South Africa.
Pham MD, Wise A, Garcia ML, Van H, Zheng S, Mohamed Y, Han Y, Wei WH, Yin YP, Chen XS, Dimech W, Braniff S, Technau KG, Luchters S, Anderson DA
EClinicalMedicine. 2020 Jul; 24:100440
- COVID-19 in Africa: care and protection for frontline healthcare workers.
Chersich MF, Gray G, Fairlie L, Eichbaum Q, Mayhew S, Allwood B, English R, Scorgie F, Luchters S, Simpson G, Haghighi MM, Pham MD, Rees H
Global Health. 2020 May; 16(1):46
- Direct assessment of mental health and metabolic syndrome amongst Indonesian adolescents: a study design for a mixed-methods study sampled from school and community settings.
Azzopardi PS, Willenberg L, Wulan N, Devaera Y, Medise B, Riyanti A, Ansariadi A, Sawyer S, Wiguna T, Kaligis F, Fisher J, Tran T, Agius PA, Borschmann R, Brown A, Cini K, Clifford S, Kennedy EC, Pedrana A, Pham MD, Wake M, Zimmet P, Durrant K, Wiweko B, Luchters S
Glob Health Action. 2020 Mar; 13(1):1732665
- The validation of organisational culture assessment instrument in healthcare setting: results from a cross-sectional study in Vietnam.
Van Huy N, Thu NTH, Anh NLT, Au NTH, Phuong NT, Cham NT, Minh PD
BMC Public Health. 2020 Mar; 20(1):316
- Climate change and control of diarrhoeal diseases in South Africa: Priorities for action
Boeckmann M, Roux T, Robinson M, Areal A, Durusu D, Wernecke B, Manyuchi A, Pham MD, Wang C, Hetem R, Harden L, Vargas E, Wright CY, Erasmus BFN, Rees H, Vogel C, Wang S, Black V, Mabhikwa M, Chersich MF
SAMJ. 2019 Jun; 109(6):359-361
- Prevalence and determinants of unprotected sex in intimate partnerships of men who inject drugs: findings from a prospective intervention study.
Sharma V, Tun W, Sarna A, Saraswati LR, Pham MD, Thior I, Luchters S
Int J STD AIDS. 2019 Mar; 30(4):386-95
- Performance of a novel low-cost, instrument-free plasma separation device for HIV viral load quantification and determination of treatment failure in people living with HIV in Malaysia: a diagnostic accuracy study.
Pham MD, Haile BA, Azwa I, Kamarulzaman A, Raman N, Saeidi A, Bador MK, Tan M, Zhu J, Yi F, Elliott JH, Garcia ML, Li F, Crowe SM, Luchters S, Anderson DA
J Clin Microbiol. 2019 Jan; 57(4):e01683-18
- The field performance and diagnostic accuracy of a low-cost instrument-free point-of-care CD4 test (VISITECT(R) CD4) performed by different health worker cadres among pregnant women.
Luchters S, Technau K, Mohamed Y, Chersich MF, Agius PA, Pham MD, Garcia ML, Forbes J, Shepherd A, Coovadia A, Crowe SM, Anderson DA
J Clin Microbiol. 2019 Jan; 57(2):e01277-18
- Relationship between self-efficacy and HIV testing uptake among young men who have sex with men in Myanmar: a cross-sectional analysis.
Pham MD, Aung PP, Agius PA, Pasricha N, Oo SM, Tun W, Bajracharya A, Luchters S
Int J STD AIDS. 2019 Jan; 30(1):20-28
- Factors associated with HIV testing among young men who have sex with men in Myanmar: a cross-sectional study.
Pham MD, Aung PP, Paing AK, Pasricha N, Agius PA, Tun W, Bajracharya A, Luchters S
J Int AIDS Soc. 2017 Nov; 20(3):e25026
- Determinants of knowledge of critical danger signs, safe childbirth and immediate newborn care practices among auxiliary midwives: a cross sectional survey in Myanmar.
Than KK, Morgan A, Pham MD, Beeson JG, Luchters S
BMJ Open. 2017 Jul; 7(6):e017180
- Feasibility of antiretroviral treatment monitoring in the era of decentralized HIV care: a systematic review.
Pham MD, Romero L, Parnell B, Anderson DA, Crowe SM, Luchters S
AIDS Res Ther19. 2017 Jan; 14(1):3
- Performance of point-of-care CD4 testing technologies in resource-constrained settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Pham MD, Agius PA, Romero L, McGlynn P, Anderson D, Crowe SM, Luchters S
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Oct; 16(1):592
- Mapping of research on maternal health interventions in low- and middle-income countries: a review of 2292 publications between 2000 and 2012.
Chersich M, Blaauw D, Dumbaugh M, Penn-Kekana L, Thwala S, Bijlmakers L, Vargas E, Kern E, Kavanagh J, Dhana A, Becerra-Posada F, Mlotshwa L, Becerril-Montekio V, Mannava P, Luchters S, Pham MD, Portela AG, Rees H
Global Health. 2016 Sep; 12(1):52
- Acceptability and feasibility of point-of-care CD4 testing on HIV continuum of care in low and middle income countries: a systematic review.
Pham MD, Agius PA, Romero L, McGlynn P, Anderson D, Crowe SM, Luchters S
BMC Health Serv Res. 2016 Aug; 16(1):343
- Viet Nam Health Report 2006: Vietnam health sector - Equity, Efficiency and Development in the new context.
Chien TTT, Lieu DH, Long NH, Cu NQ, Vung ND, Pham MD, Thien DD, Bales S
Hanoi: Medical Publishing House. 2007 Jul
- Policy options for the Renovation and Improvement of the Health System towards Equity, Efficiency and Development (Health Financing chapter).
Chien TTT, Troedsson H, Trong DQ, Lieu DH, Pham MD, Chuan LH
Hanoi: Medical Publishing House. 2007 Jul
News Articles (3)