Frank Fenner Award
The Frank Fenner Award acknowledges significant contribution to Burnet’s vision and purpose in the areas of medical research and public health, and is named after the great Australian virologist, the late Professor Frank Fenner AC. Recipients deliver a lecture to staff and students. See 2020 winner Chad Hughes' lecture highlights.
Alastair Lucas Prize for Medical Research
The Alastair Lucas Prize for Medical Research is awarded to a researcher who wishes to establish their career or is currently establishing their career primarily at Burnet Institute (5 years or less at Burnet) and pursue diseases and health issues of major national or global importance that align with the mission and focus of the Institute. Read about 2023 winner Dr Lindi Masson.
Named in honour of founding directors of the Burnet and Austin Research Institutes, Professor Ian Gust AO and Emeritus Professor Ian McKenzie AM, the Gust-McKenzie Medal is presented annually to an outstanding mid-career Burnet staff member in recognition of excellence in research and/or public health. Read about 2023 winner Professor Joshua Vogel.
Launched in 2023, the Dorabjee Award is named after former Burnet Institute senior staff member and harm reduction pioneer Jimmy Dorabjee.
In recognition of Jimmy's major achievements in the sector, particularly in the Asian region, Burnet Institute has committed to funding conference attendance scholarships to support two people with lived/living experience who are working in the harm reduction field to attend a conference on drug use and related harms and/or related concepts of their choice. Click here for more information.
These include the following. Read about 2023 Travel Award winners.
- Jim and Margaret Beever Fellowship
- Dora Lush Academic Excellence Award
- Margaret Harrison Parental Leave Grant
- Domestic Travel Award
- Miller Foundation Public Health
- Miller Foundation Biomedical Research
- Geoffrey Stewardson Travel Fellowship
- Hon Geoffrey Connard Travel Fellowship
- Pauline Speedy Biomedical Research Fellowship
- Harold Mitchell Foundation Postgraduate Travel Fellowship
- Harold Mitchell Foundation Postdoctoral Travel Fellowship
- Gender, Equity, Diversity and Inclusion Travel Fellowship
- Crockett-Murphy Travel Award