Brendan Allen is an experienced executive and clinical and public health professional with over 25 years’ experience in the health sector (nursing, international health and health service management). For 20 years, he has led teams providing strategic planning activities, program management and technical assistance in low and middle-income countries within the academic, private and NGO sectors. Brendan is currently the Executive General Manager – Business Development and Funding Partnerships at Burnet Institute and is responsible for partnership engagement and developing opportunities with government donors, UN agencies and multilateral organisations.
Prior to this, he was the Executive Director of The Global Alliance for Surgery, Obstetrics, Trauma and Anaesthesiology (The G4 Alliance), based in the USA and led the Alliance in their global advocacy campaigns, strategic planning and policy development. Previously, he was Chief Operating Officer of the Nossal Institute Limited, the operating arm of the Nossal Institute for Global Health (University of Melbourne).
Brendan has significant experience in South and South East Asia, and has lived and worked for three years in Hanoi managing a hospital strengthening program at the National Hospital of Paediatrics. In previous roles, he worked as project manager of the Australian Aid funded Indonesian Women’s Health and Family Welfare Project in Eastern Indonesia; Program Coordinator of the East Asia region with Oxfam Australia; and has worked as a clinical nurse consultant and health service manager in remote area health services in the Northern Territory.
- Master of Public Health (International Health), Monash University, Melbourne, 2006
- Bachelor of Nursing, QUT, Brisbane, 1993
- Diploma of Health Science (Nursing), La Trobe University College of Northern Victoria, Bendigo, 1991
- 2016 – Ongoing: Honorary Fellow, Nossal Institute for Global Health, University of Melbourne
- 2018 – Current Executive General Manager – Business Development, Burnet Institute
- 2016-2017: Executive Director, Global Alliance for Surgical, Obstetric, Trauma and Anaesthesia Care (USA)
- 2014-2016: COO, Nossal Institute for Global Health, University of Melbourne
- 2011-2016: Business Development Manager, Nossal Institute for Global Health, University of Melbourne
- 2008-2011: Project Manager National Hospital of Paediatrics Education and Training Project (Ha Noi, Viet Nam); Nossal Institute for Global Health, University of Melbourne
- 2005-2008: Development Manager, Coffey International Development
- 2001-2005: Program Coordinator – East Asia, Oxfam Australia
- 2000-2001: Research Coordinator, Monash University
- 1999-2000: Country Program Manager – Asia Unit, Australian Volunteers International
- 1998: Tutor – Clinical Studies, Institute of Health Sciences, Male, Republic of Maldives
- 1997-1998: Health Service Manager, Kunbarllanjnja CHC and DEMED Association, Oenpelli, Northern Territory
- 1995-1996: Clinical Nurse Consultant, Urapuntja Health Service, Utopia, Northern Territory
- 1991-1995: Registered Nurse, Royal Brisbane Hospital