Allan has worked on Infectious diseases since 1979. Before retiring in January 2020 and returning to Australia, he was the Institute Director of the GSK Vaccines Institute for Global Health since its inception in 2007 working on vaccines for Typhi, Paratyphi A, Shigella, invasive nontyphoidal Salmonella and Group A streptococcus.
Prior to this position he had more than 25 years' experience working on the development of experimental malaria vaccines, field work in epidemiology and testing control programs for malaria in endemic countries including malaria elimination programs in China and The Philippines. He also led laboratory-based research in malaria antigen identification.
Allan held previous appointments at the National Institutes of Health (NIH), USA, where he was the co-branch chief of the Malaria Vaccine Development Branch and at the Queensland Institute of Medical Research in Brisbane, Australia.
His current interest is in finding practical ways to efficiently get therapeutics and diagnostics for major global health problems from initial proof of concept in humans, through Phase 3 and registration to sustainable production and implementation.
- Publications More than 280 refereed research publications
- More than 50 reviews, book chapters etc
- 17 issued patent families.
2020: Honorary Senior Principal Research Fellow at Burnet Institute
- 2019: Honorary International Fellow of the American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene
- 2010: Primo Santa Caterina d’Oro. A European prize for work on neglected diseases
- 2015: Institute Director, GSK Vaccines Institute for Global Health, Siena, Italy
- 2007: Institute Director, Novartis Vaccines Institute for Global Health, Siena, Italy
- 2003: Co-Chief Malaria Vaccine Development Branch (MVDB), NIAID, NIH
- 2000: Staff Scientist then Tenured Senior Investigator, MVDB, NIAID, NIH
- 1999: Deputy Director, Queensland Institute of Medical Research (QIMR)
- 1987: Principal Research Fellow, then Senior Principal Research Fellow, QIMR
- 1987: Associate Professor then Professor, Tropical Health Programme, University of Queensland