After completing his Bachelor of Science majoring in microbiology and molecular biology, Adam started his Master’s in biochemistry where he investigated the Mycobacterium tuberculosis and Mycobacterium smegmatis ClpP1P2 proteases, specifically their assembly and activation processes. Adam continued his research on these Mycobacterium species in his PhD and further dissected and characterised the Pup-Proteasome system that is crucial for pathogenic mycobacteria to survive hostile environments inside macrophages and persist inside the host.
Shortly after his PhD, Adam joined the pharmaceutical industry as a scientist at CSL’s Recombinant & Gene Product Development group where he gained valuable experience in various pharmaceutical products development, large scale manufacturing, quality control and quality assurance. During his time at CSL, Adam was part of the UQ Covid-19 vaccine manufacturing development project, and the AstraZeneca Covid-19 vaccine manufacturing. He implemented continuous improvements in processes and led the internal CSL Innovation Awards initiative. He was also the Health and Safety Representative for his department and completed the operations risk assessments across functions.
After a few years at CSL, Adam joined St Vincent’s Institute of Medical Research working on an oncology-focused project with Pfizer’s Centres of Therapeutic Innovation. This collaboration aimed to identify potential new small molecules that target the DNA damage response, which is common to most cancers.
Adam returned to La Trobe University to gain skills in research administration, specifically reporting on realised research impact beyond academia where he supported academics across the University and showcased their translated research projects. He improved the tracking process for project impact and ensured La Trobe University’s continuous success in the Times Higher Education Impact ranking by aligning its operations and outputs with the United Nations Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
Adam is currently a Postdoctoral Research Officer working on malaria vaccines development as part of the Burnet Vaccine Initiative.
- 2019: Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology, La Trobe University, Australia
- 2014: Master of Biotechnology and Bioinformatics - La Trobe University, Australia
- 2012: Bachelor of Science (double major in Microbiology and Molecular Biology) - Monash University, Australia
- 2023: President of Students & Young Professionals sub-chapter of the Parenteral Drug Association (PDA)
- 2021: Vice President of Students & Young Professionals sub-chapter of the Parenteral Drug Association (PDA)
- 2019: Health and Safety Representative (HSR) at CSL Limited
- 2014: Public Relations Officer of La Trobe International
- 2023: Postdoctoral Research Officer - Burnet Institute, Australia
- 2022: Research Impact Coordinator - La Trobe University, Australia
- 2021: Senior Research Assistant - St Vincent's Institute of Medical Research, Australia
- 2019: Scientist - CSL Limited Recombinant & Gene Product Development, Australia
- 2019: Postdoctoral Research Officer - La Trobe University, Australia
- 2019: Teaching Associate - Monash University, Australia
- 2018: Research Assistant - La Trobe University, Australia
- 2015: Teaching Associate - La Trobe University, Australia