Shan is a Public Health Practitioner specialising in Maternal, Child Health and Nutrition.
Prior to joining Burnet, Shan worked and lived overseas, predominantly in the Asia Pacific region including Nepal, Thailand, Cambodia, Lao, and PNG. Program management, planning, implementation and formative research has been the main focus of her work.
Shan and her team piloted the first mobile health (mHealth) application on newborn health in rural Cambodia which sent life-saving voice messages about care-seeking behaviour directly to mothers and caregivers of neonates. This won the Gold Medal at the ASEAN ICT Awards in 2015.
- Nutrition Consultant – UNICEF EAPRO, Lao PDR and PNG
- Nutrition Advisor – Save the Children, Action Against Hunger, ChildFund (Cambodia)
- Health Program Manager – People in Need (Cambodia)
- International Nutritionist – FAO (Cambodia)
- Nutrition Officer – Ministry of Health (Nepal)
- 2011: Master of Public Health (Monash)
- 2006: Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics (Monash)
ANCP – Kickstarting antimicrobial resistance responses in PNG (KICK AMR)
Fleming Fund Country Grant – Papua New Guinea
Integrated solutions for healthy birth, growth, and development in Lao PDR
- Ending malnutrition in all its forms requires scaling up proven nutrition interventions and much more: a 129-country analysis.
Scott N, Delport D, Hainsworth S, Pearson R, Morgan C, Huang S, Akuoku JK, Piwoz E, Shekar M, Levin C, Toole M, Homer CS
BMC Med. 2020 Nov; 18(1):356