Ms. Anna Wilkinson is an early career public health researcher, with interests in epidemiology, biostatistics, maximising the use of data, and evaluating public health policy.
Anna completed a PhD in 2016, which focussed on HIV epidemiology, and followed this with a post-doctoral position at Cancer Council Victoria, expanding not only her public health content knowledge but quantitative analysis skills. To further build her theoretical knowledge, Anna commenced a Master of Biostatistics in 2017, Australia’s leading qualification in biostatistics, demonstrating a commitment to ongoing learning and a career in biostatistics.
Ms. Wilkinson has an extensive clinical background including working as a research nurse at the Alfred Hospital and Burnet Institute. Previously Anna has worked in diverse clinical settings, including in rural and remote Australia and in the UK. This breadth of clinical work has provided an important foundation for her public health research career.
- 2018 - present: Honorary Fellow, Burnet Institute, Melbourne
- 2017 - present: Adjunct Lecturer, Monash University, School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine, Melbourne
- 2018 - present: Research Fellow, Burnet Institute, Melbourne
- 2017 - 2018: Research Fellow, Cancer Council Victoria
- 2016 - 2017: Postdoctoral Bridging Fellow, Monash University
- 2012 - 2015: PhD Candidate, Burnet Institute and Monash University
- 2012 - 2015: Research Assistant, Burnet Institute
- 2016: Doctor of Philosophy, Monash University, Melbourne
- 2001: Bachelor of Nursing, Griffith University, Brisbane
- 2014: Highly Commended Oral presentation, International Union Against Sexually Transmitted Infections Asia-Pacific Conference, Bangkok, Thailand
- 2012: Poster Prize, Australasian HIV/AIDS Conference, Melbourne, Australia
EC Australia: Eliminate Hepatitis C Australia Partnership
EC Partnership: Eliminate Hepatitis C Partnership
The elimination of hepatitis C as a global public health threat
The Optimise Study: Optimising Isolation, Quarantine and Distancing for COVID-19
- Impact of COVID-19 lockdown restrictions on hepatitis C testing in Australian primary care services providing care for people who inject drugs.
Traeger MW, van Santen DK, Sacks-Davis R, Asselin J, Carter A, Doyle JS, Pedrana A, Wilkinson AL, Howell J, Thatcher R, Didlick J, Donovan B, Guy R, Hellard ME, Stoové MA; Australia Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of Sexually Transmissible Infections and Blood Borne Viruses (ACCESS).
J Viral Hepat. 2022 Jun; 29(10):908-918
- High rates of resumption of injecting drug use following release from prison among men who injected drugs before imprisonment.
Curtis M, Winter RJ, Dietze P, Wilkinson AL, Cossar RD, Stewart AC, Agius PA, Butler T, Aitken C, Kirwan A, Walker S, Stoové M
Addiction. 2022 Jun; Epub ahead of print
- Latent Class Analysis of Sexual Behaviours and Attitudes to Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Gay and Bisexual Men Using PrEP.
Traeger MW, Murphy D, Ryan KE, Asselin J, Cornelisse VJ, Wilkinson AL, Hellard ME, Wright EJ, Stoové MA
AIDS Behav. 2022 Jun; 26(6):1808-1820
- Criminal Justice Involvement after Release from Prison following Exposure to Community Mental Health Services among People Who Use Illicit Drugs and Have Mental Illness: a Systematic Review.
Stewart AC, Cossar RD, Quinn B, Dietze P, Romero L, Wilkinson AL, Stoové M
J Urban Health. 2022 May; 99:635-654
- Hepatitis C antibody testing among opioid agonist therapy recipients, Victoria, Australia, 2012 to 2020.
Dawe J, Wilkinson AL, Asselin J, Carter A, Pedrana A, Traeger MW, Thomas AJ, Curtis M, Cooper M, Howell J, Doyle JS, Hellard ME, Stoové M; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of blood borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections (ACCESS).
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Apr; 104:103696
- Hepatitis C incidence among patients attending primary care health services that specialise in the care of people who inject drugs, Victoria, Australia, 2009 to 2020.
Wilkinson AL, van Santen DK, Traeger MW, Sacks-Davis R, Asselin J, Scott N, Harney BL, Doyle JS, El-Hayek C, Howell J, Bramwell F, McManus H, Donovan B, Stoové M, Hellard M, Pedrana A
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Mar; 103:103655
- Emergency department presentations in the first weeks following release from prison among men with a history of injecting drug use in Victoria, Australia: A prospective cohort study.
Cossar RD, Stewart AC, Wilkinson AL, Dietze P, Ogloff JRP, Aitken C, Butler T, Kinner SA, Curtis M, Walker S, Kirwan A, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Mar; 101:103532
- Real-world monitoring progress towards the elimination of hepatitis C virus in Australia using sentinel surveillance of primary care clinics; an ecological study of hepatitis C virus antibody tests from 2009 to 2019.
Wilkinson AL, Pedrana A, Traeger MW, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Nguyen L, Polkinghorne V, Doyle JS, Thompson AJ, Howell J, Scott N, Dimech W, Guy R, Hellard M, Stoové M; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of blood borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections (ACCESS)
Epidemiol Infect. 2022 Jan; 150:e7
- The Incidence of Hepatitis C Among Gay, Bisexual, and Other Men Who Have Sex With Men in Australia, 2009-2019.
Harney BL, Sacks-Davis R, van Santen DK, Traeger M, Wilkinson AL, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Fairley CK, Roth N, Bloch M, Matthews G, Donovan B, Guy R, Stoové M, Hellard ME, Doyle JS; Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of Sexually Transmissible Infections and Blood-borne Viruses (ACCESS).
Clin Infect Dis. 2022 Jan; 74(10):1804-1811
- Psychiatric well-being among men leaving prison reporting a history of injecting drug use: A longitudinal analysis.
Stewart AC, Cossar R, Wilkinson AL, Scott N, Dietze P, Quinn B, Kinner SA, Aitken C, Walker S, Curtis M, Butler T, Ogloff JRP, Stoové M
Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2022 Jan; 56(8):1034-1043
- Strategies to maximise study retention and limit attrition bias in a prospective cohort study of men reporting a history of injecting drug use released from prison: the prison and transition health study.
Stewart AC, Cossar R, Walker S, Wilkinson AL, Quinn B, Dietze P, Winter R, Kirwan A, Curtis M, Ogloff JRP, Kinner S, Aitken C, Butler T, Woods E, Stoové M
BMC Med Res Methodol. 2021 Sep; 21(1):185
- The Prison and Transition Health (PATH) cohort study: Prevalence of health, social, and crime characteristics after release from prison for men reporting a history of injecting drug use in Victoria, Australia.
Stewart AC, Cossar RD, Wilkinson AL, Quinn B, Dietze P, Walker S, Butler T, Curtis M, Aitken C, Kirwan A, Winter R, Ogloff J, Kinner S, Stoové M
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2021 Aug; 227:108970
- Implications of HIV self-testing for other sexually transmissible infection testing and broader sexual health needs: a mixed methods study of gay and bisexual men in Australia.
Leitinger D, Ryan K, Wilkinson AL, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Transm Dis. 2021 Jun; 48(6):417-423
- Estimating the number of new hepatitis C infections in Australia in 2015, prior to the scale-up of direct-acting antiviral treatment.
Palmer AY, Wilkinson A, Aitken C, Dietze P, Dore GJ, Maher L, Sacks-Davis R, Stoové M, Wilson D, Hellard M, Scott N
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021 Mar; 36(8):2270-2274
- Frequent occurrence of low-level positive autoantibodies in chronic hepatitis C.
Deshpande P, Bundell C, McKinnon E, Hellard M, Ffrench R, Wilkinson AL, Drummer H, Gaudieri S, Lucas M
Pathology. 2020 Jun; 52(5):576-583
- Prevalence of daily tobacco smoking participation among HIV-positive and HIV-negative Australian gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men.
Wilkinson A, Quinn B, Draper B, White S, Hellard M, Stoové M
HIV Med. 2020 Feb; 21(2):e3-e4
- A comparative, retrospective analysis of HIV testing among gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men in Melbourne, Australia.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Chow E, Read T, Chen M, Locke P, Leitinger D, Bradshaw C, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Fairley CK, Stoové M
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2019 Oct; 43(5):419-423
- Assessment of service refinement and its impact on repeat HIV testing by client's access to Australia's universal healthcare system: a retrospective cohort study.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Asselin J, Leitinger DP, Locke P, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Stoové M
J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Aug; 22(8):e25353
- Australia’s progress towards hepatitis C elimination. Annual Report 2019
Burnet Institute and Kirby Institute (Prepared by Wilkinson A, Edited by Margaret Hellard M, Stoové, M, Dore G, Grebely J, Pedrana A, Doyle J, Thompson A, Hajarizadeh B, Alavi M, Aitken C)
Annual Report. 2019 Jul
- Estimating the syphilis epidemic among gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men in Australia following changes in HIV care and prevention.
Wilkinson A, Scott N, Tidhar T, Luong P, El-Hayek C , Wilson D, Fairley C, Zhang L, Leslie D , Roth N , Tee BK , Hellard M , Stoové M
Sex Health. 2019 Feb; 16(3):254-262
- Geo-spatial analysis of individual-level needle and syringe coverage in Melbourne, Australia.
O'Keefe D, Wilkinson A, Aitken C, Dietze P
PLoS One. 2018 Dec; 13(12):e0209280
- Indexation of Tobacco Excise and Customs Duty and Smoking Prevalence Among Australian Adults, 2001-2010: A Serial Cross-sectional Study.
Wilkinson AL, Scollo M, Durkin SJ, Bayly M, Spittal MJ, Chaloupka FJ, Wakefield MA
Nicotine Tob Res. 2018 Oct; Epub ahead of print
- Measuring and understanding the attitudes of Australian gay and bisexual men towards biomedical HIV prevention using cross-sectional data and factor analyses.
Wilkinson AL, Draper BL, Pedrana AE, Asselin J, Holt M, Hellard ME, Stoové M
Sex Transm Infect. 2018 Jun; 94(4):309-3014
- Implications of survey labels and categorisations for understanding drug use in the context of sex among gay and bisexual men in Melbourne, Australia.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Pedrana A, Quinn B, Dietze P, Hellard M, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2018 May; 55:183-186
- Comfort Relying on HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis and Treatment as Prevention for Condomless Sex: Results of an Online Survey of Australian Gay and Bisexual Men.
Holt M, Draper BL, Pedrana AE, Wilkinson AL, Stoové M
AIDS Behav. 2018 Mar; 22(11):3617-3626
- Acceptability and HIV prevention benefits of a peer-based model of rapid point of care HIV testing for Australian gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men.
Leitinger D, Ryan KE, Brown G, Pedrana A, Wilkinson AL, Ryan C, Hellard M, Stoové M
AIDS Behav. 2018 Jan; 22(1):178-189
- Trial and error: evaluating and refining a community model of HIV testing in Australia.
Ryan KE, Pedrana A, Leitinger D, Wilkinson AL, Locke P, Hellard ME, Stoové M
BMC Health Serv Res. 2017 Oct; 17(1):692
- Wilkinson et al. Respond to "Latent Transition Analyses in Clinical Cohorts".
Wilkinson AL, El-Hayek C, Fairley CK, Roth N, Tee BK, McBryde E, Hellard M, Stoové M
Am J Epidemiol. 2017 Apr; 185(8):639-640
- Utility of risk-based chlamydia testing in primary care: analysis of retrospective surveillance data among women in Melbourne, Australia.
Wilkinson AL, McNamee K, El-Hayek C, Chow EP, Bradshaw CS, Roth N, Tee BK, Stoové M, Hellard M
Sex Health. 2017 Apr; 14(3):268-273
- Measuring transitions in sexual risk among Men Who Have Sex With Men: The novel use of latent class and latent transition analysis in HIV sentinel surveillance.
Wilkinson AL, El-Hayek C, Fairley CK, Roth N, Tee BK, McBryde E, Hellard M, Stoové M
Am J Epidemiol. 2017 Mar; 185(8):627-635
- Comparing non-occupational post-exposure prophylaxis drug regimens for HIV: insights from a linked HIV surveillance system.
Pierce AB, El-Hayek C, McCarthy D, Armishaw J, Watson K, Wilkinson A, Price B, Wright EJ, Hoy JF, Stoové MA
Sex Health. 2017 Feb; 14(2):179-87
- A 'test and treat' prevention strategy in Australia requires innovative HIV testing models: a cohort study of repeat testing among 'high-risk' men who have sex with men.
Wilkinson AL, El-Hayek C, Spelman T, Fairley CK, Leslie D, McBryde ES, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Transm Infect. 2016 Sep; 92(6):464-466
- Characteristics of gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men testing and retesting at Australia’s first shop-front rapid point-of-care HIV testing service.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Leitinger D, El-Hayek C, Ryan C, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Health. 2016 Aug; 13(6):560-567
- The Impact of a Social Marketing Campaign on HIV and Sexually Transmissible Infection Testing Among Men Who Have Sex With Men in Australia.
Wilkinson AL, Pedrana AE, El-Hayek C, Vella AM, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Fairley CK, Read TR, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Transm Dis. 2016 Jan; 43(1):49-56
- "Seek, Test, Treat" Lessons from Australia: A Study of HIV testing patterns from a cohort of men who have sex with men.
Wilkinson AL, El-Hayek C, Spelman T, Fairley C, Leslie D, McBryde E, Hellard M, Stoové M
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Mar; 69(4):460-465
- Paying the price in an era of HIV treatment as prevention: a retrospective study of the cost burden of HIV treatment for people living with HIV in Victoria, Australia.
Wilkinson AL, McMahon J, Cheah Y, Bradshaw CS, El-Hayek C, Stoové M
Sex Health. 2015 Jan; 12(1):34-38
News Articles (1)