Jane is an epidemiologist with more than 10 years’ experience supporting international medical humanitarian interventions by Médecins sans Frontières (MSF) as an operational epidemiologist and epidemiology advisor. Having enhanced and supported the Health Information System tools used in part of MSF for routine data management to support patient care, programme monitoring and strategic decision making, she is continuing to provide guidance on content and functional requirements during an extended transition to a new system.
Her field epidemiology has encompassed field support during outbreak investigations and response including severe lead poisoning, meningitis, Ebola, Legionnaires’ disease. She has undertaken field work to support programs in a range of countries including Nigeria, Sierra Leone, Zimbabwe, Swaziland, Belarus, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Nepal, Myanmar, Malaysia and Colombia.
Operational research arising from routine activities and strategic objectives has included research related to outbreak interventions (lead poisoning, meningococcal disease, Ebola) and programs managing TB and HIV in challenging settings.
With health-related research, analysis and programmatic experience for over 20 years in non-government, government, private industry and academic settings, her aim is to support projects focused on improving the health and living status of people in resource limited, unstable, or marginalised settings.
Jane joins Burnet Institute as a Senior Operational Epidemiologist in the TB Elimination and Implementation Science working group, supporting program implementation and research activities.
- Member of Australasian Epidemiological Association
- 2017-present: Senior Operational Epidemiologist, Tuberculosis Elimination and Implementation Science group, Burnet Institute
- 2020: Outbreak Epidemiologist and Co-lead Outbreak Field Epidemiology Intelligence team, COVID-19 Incident Management Team, Victorian Department of Health
- 2017-present: Health Information System Content Specialist Advisor, Manson Unit, Médecins sans Frontières (MSF)-UK
- 2008 – 2017: Operational Epidemiology Advisor, Manson Unit, MSF-UK,
- 2007 – 2008: Coordinator of Operational Research, MSF-Holland HIV program, Lagos Nigeria
- 2007: Contract Project Officer, Communicable Disease Control Branch, Health Department, Western Australia
- 2005 - 2006: Epidemiologist, Department of Infectious Diseases, And Lecturer, Epidemiology Unit, Department of Social And Preventive Medicine Universiti Malaya Medical Centre,
- May – August 2005: Epidemiologist, Merlin (Medical Emergency Relief International), Tajikistan Field Office
- 2004: Interim Supervisor Masters of Applied Epidemiology Program, National Centre for Epidemiology and Population Health, Australian National University, Australia
- 2002 – 2005: Epidemiologist, Medical Marketing, CSL Limited, Melbourne, Australia,
- June 2002: Research Officer, Victorian Q Fever Management Program, Communicable Diseases Section, Victorian Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Australia,
- 2000 – 2002: Epidemiology Registrar, Masters of Applied Epidemiology Field Placement, Communicable Diseases Section, Victorian Department of Human Services, Melbourne, Australia,
- 1999: Research Associate, The Department of Microbiology, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia,
- 1998: Research Assistant, The Department of Microbiology, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
- 1994 – 1998: PhD candidate, The Departments of Microbiology and Biochemistry, The University of Western Australia, Perth, Australia
- 2002, M App Epid, Australian National University, Australia
- 1998, PhD, University of Western Australia, Australia
- 1993, BSc(Hons1), University of Western Australia, Australia
Diagnostic accuracy of Molbio Truenat for diagnosis of TB and rifampicin resistance
PRIME-TB: Papua New Guinea & Republic of Indonesia for the Micro Elimination of TB
The EZARET Study: Exploring Zoonotic Association and Risks for Extrapulmonary Tuberculosis in PNG
- Beyond the bubble: neighbours helping neighbours.
Lin YD, du Cros P, Greig J, Lavu EK, Hiasihri S
Intern Med J. 2021 Jul; 51(7):1013-1015
- Outcomes with a shorter multidrug-resistant tuberculosis regimen from Karakalpakstan, Uzbekistan.
du Cros P, Khamraev A, Tigay Z, Abdrasuliev T, Greig J, Cooke G, Herboczek K, Pylypenko T, Berry C, Ronnachit A, Lister D, Dietrich S, Ariti C, Safaev K, Nyang'wa BT, Parpieva N, Tillashaikhov M, Achar J
ERJ Open Res. 2021 Jan; 7(1):00537-2020
- The factors affecting household transmission dynamics and community compliance with Ebola control measures: a mixed-methods study in a rural village in Sierra Leone.
Grazia Caleo, Jennifer Duncombe, Freya Jephcott, Kamalini Lokuge, Clair Mills, Evita Looijen, Fivi Theoharaki, Ronald Kremer, Karline Kleijer, James Squire, Manjo Lamin, Beverley Stringer, Helen A Weiss, Daniel Culli, Gian Luca Di Tanna, Jane Greig
BMC Public Health. 2018 Feb; 18(1):248
- Improving mapping for Ebola response through mobilising a local community with self-owned smartphones: Tonkolili District, Sierra Leone, January 2015.
Laura M Nic Lochlainn, Ivan Gayton, Georgios Theocharopoulos, Robin Edwards, Kostas Danis, Ronald Kremer, Karline Kleijer, Sumaila M Tejan, Mohamed Sankoh, Augustin Jimissa, Jane Greig, Grazia Caleo
PLoS One. 2018 Jan; 13(1):e0189959
- Implications of differentiated care for successful ART scale-up in a concentrated HIV epidemic in Yangon, Myanmar.
Anita Mesic, Julie Fontaine, Theingy Aye, Jane Greig, Thin Thin Thwe, Laura Moreto-Planas, Jarmila Kliesckova, Khin Khin, Nana Zarkua, Lucia Gonzalez, Erwin Lloyd Guillergan, Daniel P O'Brien
J Int AIDS Soc. 2017 Jul; 20(Suppl 4):21644
- Ebola management centre proximity associated with reduced delays of healthcare of Ebola Virus Disease (EVD) patients, Tonkolili, Sierra Leone, 2014-15.
Georgios Theocharopoulos, Kostas Danis, Jane Greig, Alexandra Hoffmann, Henriette De Valk, Augustine Jimissa, Sumaila Tejan, Mohammed Sankoh, Karline Kleijer, Will Turner, Jay Achar, Jennifer Duncombe, Kamalini Lokuge, Ivan Gayton, Rob Broeder, Ronald Kremer, Grazia Caleo
PLoS One. 2017 May; 12(5):e0176692
- Where there is hope: a qualitative study examining patients' adherence to multi-drug resistant tuberculosis treatment in Karakalpakstan, Uzbekistan.
Shona Horter, Beverley Stringer, Jane Greig, Akhmet Amangeldiev, Mirzagaleb N Tillashaikhov, Nargiza Parpieva, Zinaida Tigay, Philipp du Cros
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Jul; 16:362
- Risk factors for unstructured treatment interruptions and association with survival in low to middle income countries.
McMahon JH, Spelman T, Ford N, Greig J, Mesic A, Ssonko C, Casas EC, O'Brien DP
AIDS Res Ther. 2016 Jul; 13(4):25
- Invasive Meningococcal Meningitis Serogroup C Outbreak in Northwest Nigeria, 2015 - Third Consecutive Outbreak of a New Strain.
Jaime Chow, Kennedy Uadiale, Agatha Bestman, Charity Kamau, Dominique A Caugant, Aminu Shehu, Jane Greig
PLoS Curr. 2016 Jul; 8
- Evaluation of Pastorex meningitis kit performance for the rapid identification of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C in Nigeria.
Kennedy Uadiale, Agatha Bestman, Charity Kamau, Dominique A Caugant, Jane Greig
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2016 Jul; 110(7):381-385
- Inpatient signs and symptoms and factors associated with death in children aged 5 years and younger admitted to two Ebola management centres in Sierra Leone, 2014: a retrospective cohort study.
Tejshri Shah, Jane Greig, Linda Margaretha van der Plas, Jay Achar, Grazia Caleo, James Sylvester Squire, Alhaji Sayui Turay, Grace Joshy, Catherine D'Este, Emily Banks, Florian Vogt, Kamalini Lokuge
Lancet Glob Health. 2016 Jul; 4(7):e495-e501
- Electronic medical records in humanitarian emergencies - the development of an Ebola clinical information and patient management system.
Kiran Jobanputra, Jane Greig, Ganesh Shankar, Eric Perakslis, Ronald Kremer, Jay Achar, Ivan Gayton
F1000Res. 2016 Jun; 5:1477
- Successful Control of Ebola Virus Disease: Analysis of Service Based Data from Rural Sierra Leone.
Kamalini Lokuge, Grazia Caleo, Jane Greig, Jennifer Duncombe, Nicholas McWilliam, James Squire, Manjo Lamin, Emily Veltus, Anja Wolz, Gary Kobinger, Marc-Antoine de la Vega, Osman Gbabai, Sao Nabieu, Mohammed Lamin, Ronald Kremer, Kostas Danis, Emily Banks, Kathryn Glass
PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2016 Mar; 10(3):e0004498
- Risk factors for mortality during antiretroviral therapy in older populations in resource-limited settings.
O'Brien D, Spelman T, Greig J, McMahon J, Ssonko C, Casas E, Mesic A, Du Cros P, Ford N
J Int AIDS Soc. 2016 Jan; 19(1):20665
- Ebola viral load at diagnosis associates with patient outcome and outbreak evolution.
Marc-Antoine de La Vega, Grazia Caleo, Jonathan Audet, Xiangguo Qiu, Robert A Kozak, James I Brooks, Steven Kern, Anja Wolz, Armand Sprecher, Jane Greig, Kamalini Lokuge, David K Kargbo, Brima Kargbo, Antonino Di Caro, Allen Grolla, Darwyn Kobasa, James E Strong, Giuseppe Ippolito, Michel Van Herp, Gary P Kobinger
J Clin Invest. 2015 Dec; 125(12):4421-4428
- Sequential outbreaks due to a new strain of Neisseria meningitidis serogroup C in northern Nigeria, 2013-14.
Anna Funk, Kennedy Uadiale, Charity Kamau, Dominique A Caugant, Umar Ango, Jane Greig
PLoS Curr. 2014 Dec; 6
- Description of 3,180 courses of chelation with dimercaptosuccinic acid in children </= 5 y with severe lead poisoning in Zamfara, Northern Nigeria: a retrospective analysis of programme data.
Natalie Thurtle, Jane Greig, Lauren Cooney, Yona Amitai, Cono Ariti, Mary Jean Brown, Michael J Kosnett, Krystel Moussally, Nasir Sani-Gwarzo, Henry Akpan, Leslie Shanks, Paul I Dargan
PLoS Med. 2014 Oct; 11(10):e1001739
- Association of blood lead level with neurological features in 972 children affected by an acute severe lead poisoning outbreak in Zamfara State, northern Nigeria.
Jane Greig, Natalie Thurtle, Lauren Cooney, Cono Ariti, Abdulkadir Ola Ahmed, Teshome Ashagre, Anthony Ayela, Kingsley Chukwumalu, Alison Criado-Perez, Camilo Gomez-Restrepo, Caitlin Meredith, Antonio Neri, Darryl Stellmach, Nasir Sani-Gwarzo, Abdulsalami Nasidi, Leslie Shanks, Paul I Dargan
PLoS One. 2014 Apr; 9(4):e93716
- Risk factors associated with default from multi- and extensively drug-resistant tuberculosis treatment, Uzbekistan: a retrospective cohort analysis.
Maeve K Lalor, Jane Greig, Sholpan Allamuratova, Sandy Althomsons, Zinaida Tigay, Atadjan Khaemraev, Kai Braker, Oleksander Telnov, Philipp du Cros
PLoS One. 2013 Nov; 8(11):e78364
- TB treatment in a chronic complex emergency: treatment outcomes and experiences in Somalia.
Karin Fischer Liddle, Riekje Elema, Sein Sein Thi, Jane Greig, Sarah Venis
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2013 Nov; 107(11):690-698
- Predictors of Raised Viral Load during Antiretroviral Therapy in Patients with and without Prior Antiretroviral Use: A Cross-Sectional Study.
Greig JE, du Cros PA, Mills C, Ugwoeruchukwu W, Etsetowaghan A, Grillo A, Tayo-Adetoro A, Omiyale K, Spelman T, O'Brien DP
PLoS One. 2013 Aug; 8(8):e71407
- Impact of HIV-associated conditions on mortality in people commencing anti-retroviral therapy in resource limited settings.
Marshall CS, Curtis AJ, Spelman T, O'Brien DP, Greig J, Shanks L, du Cros P, Casas EC, da Fonseca MS, Athan E, Elliott JH
PLoS One. 2013 Jul; 8(7):e68445
- Incidence of WHO Stage 3 and 4 Conditions following Initiation of Anti-Retroviral Therapy in Resource Limited Settings.
Curtis AJ, Marshall CS, Spelman T, Greig J, Elliot JH, Shanks L, Du Cros P, Casas EC, Da Fonseca MS, O'Brien DP
PLoS One. 2012 Dec; 7(12):e52019
- Association between older age and adverse outcomes on antiretroviral therapy: a cohort analysis of programme data from nine countries.
Jane Greig, Esther C Casas, Daniel P O'Brien, Edward J Mills, Nathan Ford
AIDS. 2012 Jul; 26 Suppl 1:S31-S37
- Association of BMI category change with TB treatment mortality in HIV-positive smear-negative and extrapulmonary TB patients in Myanmar and Zimbabwe.
Lenka Benova, Katherine Fielding, Jane Greig, Bern-Thomas Nyang'wa, Esther Carrillo Casas, Marcio Silveira da Fonseca, Philipp du Cros
PLoS One. 2012 Apr; 7(4):e35948
- Similar mortality and reduced loss to follow-up in integrated compared with vertical programs providing antiretroviral treatment in sub-saharan Africa.
Greig J, O'Brien DP, Ford N, Spelman T, Sabapathy K, Shanks L
JAIDS. 2012 Apr; 59(5):e92-e98
- Direct microscopy versus sputum cytology analysis and bleach sedimentation for diagnosis of tuberculosis: a prospective diagnostic study.
Pamela Hepple, Pascal Nguele, Jane Greig, Maryline Bonnet, Vinciane Sizaire
BMC Infect Dis. 2010 Sep; 10:276
- Provision of antiretroviral treatment in conflict settings: the experience of Medecins Sans Frontieres.
Daniel P O'Brien, Sarah Venis, Jane Greig, Leslie Shanks, Tom Ellman, Kalpana Sabapathy, Lisa Frigati, Clair Mills
Confl Health. 2010 Jun; 4:12
- An outbreak of Legionnaires' disease at the Melbourne Aquarium, April 2000: investigation and case-control studies.
Jane E Greig, John A Carnie, Graham F Tallis, Norbert J Ryan, Agnes G Tan, Ian R Gordon, Bernard Zwolak, Jennie A Leydon, Charles S Guest, William G Hart
Med J Aust. 2004 Jun; 180(11):566-572
News Articles (1)