Dr Khai Lin Huang is Acting Co-Head of the Tuberculosis Elimination and Implementation Science Working Group and a Senior Research Fellow at Burnet Institute. Khai Lin has worked in a number of countries as an infectious diseases physician and public health practitioner, with more than 10 years of clinical experience. He has a public appointment at Northern Health and is a VMO at Epworth Healthcare.
Khai Lin aims to contribute to global health equity through the implementation of evidence-based approaches. More recently his work has focused on public health responses to TB and multidrug-resistant TB, antimicrobial resistance and COVID-19 and its impacts, especially in Papua New Guinea.
- Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Member of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
- Member of the European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
- Member of the Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases
- 2018 to present: Infectious Diseases Specialist; Acting Co-Head, Tuberculosis Elimination and Implementation Science Working Group; Senior Research Fellow, Burnet Institute
- 2020 to present: Consultant, Department of Infectious Diseases, Northern Health, Melbourne
- 2017: Advanced Training in Infectious Diseases, Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory (Doherty Institute) and the Royal Melbourne Hospital
- 2016: Field Technical Coordinator and Infectious Diseases Officer, Burnet Institute, RID TB Papua New Guinea
- 2015: Advanced Training in Infectious Diseases, Royal Darwin Hospital
- 2014: Clinical Research Fellow in Infectious Diseases, Austin Health
- 2013: Advanced Training in Infectious Diseases, Austin Health
- 2009–2012: Internship and Basic Physician Training, Austin Health
- 2017: FRACP, Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (Infectious Diseases)
- 2014: East African Diploma in Tropical Medicine and Hygiene, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine
- 2008: Bachelor of Medicine/Bachelor of Surgery (Honours) and Bachelor of Medical Science, The University of Melbourne
ANCP – Kickstarting antimicrobial resistance responses in PNG (KICK AMR)
Building capacity and improving tuberculosis diagnosis in Timor-Leste
Improving Tuberculosis Services in Timor-Leste
PRIME-TB: Papua New Guinea & Republic of Indonesia for the Micro Elimination of TB
RID-TB Patient Education and Counselling
RID-TB: Reducing the Impact of Drug-Resistant TB in Western Province, PNG
- Contact screening and management in a high-transmission MDR-TB setting in Papua New Guinea: Progress, challenges and future directions
Majumdar SS, Islam S, Huang GKL, Morris L, Bauri M, Chan G, Kama G, Keam T, Peacock-Smith A, Finch S, Marukutira T, Bhatt S, Drewett G, Wratten M, Murray A, Pank N, Masah C, Bala R, Umali S, Kalon S, Greig J, Chani K, Kal M and Graham SM
Front. Trop. Dis. 2023 Jan; 3:1085401.
- COVID-19 and its impacts on primary health services
and public health infectious disease programs in Papua New Guinea. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Newland J, Neuendorf N, , Vallely L, Mek A, Vengiau G, Farquhar R, Boli-Neo R, Seymour M, Wratten M, Aeno H, Nake Trumb R, Kerry Z, Huang KL, Maalsen A, Homer C, Robinson L, , Majumdar S, Vallely A, Laman M, Pomat W, Kelly-Hanku A
WHO Papua New Guinea Commisioned Report. 2022 Dec
- Adapting active case-finding for TB during the COVID-19 pandemic in Yogyakarta, Indonesia.
Chan G, Triasih R, Nababan B, du Cros P, Wilks N, Main S, Huang GKL, Lin D, Graham SM, Majumdar SS, Bakker M, Khan A, Khan FA, Dwihardiani B
Public Health Action. 2021 Jun; 11(2):41-49
- A prospective multicentre diagnostic accuracy study for the Truenat tuberculosis assays.
Penn-Nicholson A, Gomathi SN, Ugarte-Gil C, Meaza A, Lavu E, Patel P, Choudhury B, Rodrigues C, Chadha S, Kazi M, Macé A, Nabeta P, Boehme C, Gangakhedkar RR, Sarin S, Tesfaye E, Gotuzzo E, du Cros P, Tripathy S, Ruhwald M, Singh M, Denkinger CM, Schumacher SG; Truenat trial consortium.
Eur Respir J. 2021 May; 58(5):2100526
- Tuberculosis treatment unmasking leprosy: management of
drug-resistant tuberculosis and leprosy co-infection.
Kama K, Huang GKL, M. Taune M, Arura R, Morris L, Kombuk B, Marome A, O’Brien DP
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S83-S85
- Successful implementation of bedaquiline for multidrug-resistant TB treatment in remote Papua New Guinea.
Taune M, Ustero P, Hiashiri S, Huang K, Aia P, Morris L, Main S, Chan G, du Cros P, Majumdar SS
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S73-S79
- Telemedicine in resource-limited settings to optimize care for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
Huang GKL, Pawape G, Taune M, Hiasihri S, Ustero P, O'Brien DP, du Cros P, Graham S, Wootton R, Majumdar S
Frontiers in Public Health. 2019 Aug; 7:222
- Opportunistic infections acquired in localised geographical regions of the world. (BOOK CHAPTER)
Huang GKL, O'Brien DP
In "HIV Management in Australasia: A guide for Clinical Care" Australasian Society for HIV, Published by Viral Hepatitis and Sexual Health Medicine (ASHM). 2019 Jul; Book Chapter
- Mycobacterial mimicry in a man from Myanmar.
David Wj Griffin, G Khai Lin Huang, Philippe Lachapelle, Steven Yc Tong, Siddhartha Mahanty
Med J Aust. 2019 May; 210(8):349-351.e1
- Disseminated Nontuberculous Mycobacterial Infection Associated With Acquired Immunodeficiency Due to Anti-Interferon gamma Autoantibodies.
Arvind Yerramilli, G Khai Lin Huang, David W J Griffin, Khai Lin Kong, Stephen Muhi, Ramona S Muttucumaru, Shio Yen Tio, Su M Chew, Rashelle Farah, Michael Christie, Siddhartha Mahanty, Thomas R Schulz
Open Forum Infect Dis. 2019 Apr; 6(4):ofz131
- Prolonged Detection of Japanese Encephalitis Virus in Urine and Whole Blood in a Returned Short-term Traveler.
G Khai Lin Huang, Shio Yen Tio, Leon Caly, Suellen Nicholson, Irani Thevarajan, Georgina Papadakis, Mike Catton, Steven Y C Tong, Julian Druce
Open Forum Infect Dis. 2017 Sep; 4(4):ofx203
- Genomic Characterization of Recrudescent Plasmodium malariae after Treatment with Artemether/Lumefantrine.
Gavin G Rutledge, Ian Marr, G Khai Lin Huang, Sarah Auburn, Jutta Marfurt, Mandy Sanders, Nicholas J White, Matthew Berriman, Chris I Newbold, Nicholas M Anstey, Thomas D Otto, Ric N Price
Emerg Infect Dis. 2017 Aug; 23(8):1300-1307
- Staphylococcus aureus Prostatic abscess: a clinical case report and a review of the literature.
David E Carroll, Ian Marr, G Khai Lin Huang, Deborah C Holt, Steven Y C Tong, Craig S Boutlis
BMC Infect Dis. 2017 Jul; 17(1):509
- Prulifloxacin/Ulifloxacin (Book Chapter)
Huang GK, Grayson ML
in "Kucer's The Use of Antibiotics: A Clinical Review of Antibacterial, Antifungal, Antiparasitic and Antiviral Drugs 7th Ed" Eds Grayson ML, Crowe SM, McCarthy JS, Mills J, Mouton JW, Paterson DL, Cosgrove S, Hope W (CRC Press). 2017 Jul
- Management of dengue in Australian travellers: a retrospective multicentre analysis.
Alex Yc Tai, Sarah L McGuinness, Roselle Robosa, David Turner, G Khai Lin Huang, Karin Leder, Tony M Korman, Irani Thevarajan, Andrew J Stewardson, Alexander A Padiglione, Douglas F Johnson
Med J Aust. 2017 Apr; 206(7):295-300
- Use of an Innovative Personality-Mindset Profiling Tool to Guide Culture-Change Strategies among Different Healthcare Worker Groups.
M Lindsay Grayson, Nenad Macesic, G Khai Huang, Katherine Bond, Jason Fletcher, Gwendolyn L Gilbert, David L Gordon, Jane F Hellsten, Jonathan Iredell, Caitlin Keighley, Rhonda L Stuart, Charles S Xuereb, Marilyn Cruickshank
PLoS One. 2015 Oct; 10(10):e0140509
- Measles: an important cause of fever and rash in a returned traveller.
G Khai Lin Huang, Katherine A Bond, Nicholas H Hewitt, Paul D R Johnson
Med J Aust. 2014 Nov; 201(10):605-606
- Red herring in returned traveler: drug reaction with eosinophilia and systemic symptom (DRESS) syndrome mimicking sepsis.
Hui Yin Lim, Gene Khai Lin Huang, Joseph Torresi, Douglas Johnson
J Travel Med. 2014 Nov; 21(6):425-428
- Back to basics: hand hygiene and isolation.
Gene K L Huang, Andrew J Stewardson, Michael L Grayson
Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2014 Aug; 27(4):379-389
- Epidemiology and management of Buruli Ulcer.
Huang GK, Johnson PD
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2014 Jul; 12(7):855-65
- Buruli Ulcer (Atypical Mycobacterium). (Book Chapter)
Huang GK, Johnson PD
in Emerging Infectious Diseases. Eds. Ergonul O, Can F, Akova M, Madoff L. Elsevier. 2014 Jul
News Articles (10)