Dr Alyce Wilson is a Public Health Physician and Honorary Senior Research Fellow in global maternal, child and adolescent health at the Burnet Institute.
She is an Australian medical doctor with postgraduate qualifications in public health and obstetrics and gynaecology. Alyce is a fellow of the Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine, Royal Australasian College of Physicians and completed a PhD examining the quality of maternal and newborn care in Papua New Guinea.
Further to her role at Burnet, Alyce holds honorary positions at the University of Melbourne and Monash University, and is available to supervise public health medicine trainees and research students.
- 2022 – present: Committee Member, Victorian Regional Committee, Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine, Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 2021 – present: Clinical Senior Fellow (Hon), Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, University of Melbourne/Mercy Hospital
- 2019 – present: Affiliate Senior Lecturer, Department of Nutrition, Dietetics and Food, Monash University
- 2018 – 2022: Editorial Board Member, O&G Magazine, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- 2020 – 2022: Co-Chair, International Consortium on Sexual Health and Reproductive Rights
- 2020 – 2022: Policy and Advocacy Committee Member, Victorian Registrar Representative, Chair National Trainees Committee, Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine, Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 2018 – 2020: Australia/New Zealand Steering Committee Member, Need for Nutrition/Education Innovation Programme (NNEdPro), Cambridge University
- 2018 – current: Public Health Physician and Senior Research Fellow (Burnet Institute)
- 2014 – current: Senior Lecturer (Melbourne Medical School, University of Melbourne)
- 2022 – 2022: Senior Medical Advisor (Public Health Strategy and Policy, COVID-19 Response Division, Department of Health, Victoria)
- 2018 – 2022: Medical Doctor (Women’s Health Clinics, Royal Women’s Hospital)
- 2022 – Doctor of Philosophy, University of Melbourne
- 2022 – Fellowship, Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine, Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 2018 – Diploma of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- 2018 – Master of Public Health, University of Melbourne
- 2015 – Doctor of Medicine, University of Melbourne
- 2008 – Bachelor of Health Sciences Honours, Deakin University
- 2007 – Bachelor of Nutrition and Dietetics, Monash University
COVID-19 Journey Project
Experiences of receiving or providing maternity care during CoVID-19 pandemic: The CovMat Study
Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies
HMHB - Health Services for Postnatal and Infancy Care
HMHB: Quality of Pregnancy, Childbirth and Newborn Health Services Study
Mapping of COVID-19-related pregnancy and perinatal research in Australia
Optimising Quarantine Study
Rapid review of maternal health recommendations related to the COVID-19 pandemic
SCOOP: Strengthening COVID-19 Communication in Pregnancy
- Low knowledge of newborn danger signs among pregnant women in Papua New Guinea and implications for health seeking behaviour in early infancy - findings from a longitudinal study.
Eghrari D, Scoullar MJL, Wilson AN, Peach E, Elijah A, Melepia P, SupSup H, Vallely LM, Siba PM, Kennedy EC, Vogel JP, Homer CSE, Robinson LJ, Fowkes FJI, Pomat W, Crabb BS, Beeson JG, Morgan CJ
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2023 Jan; 23(1):71
- "Tell us what's going on": Exploring the information needs of pregnant and post-partum women in Australia during the pandemic with 'Tweets', 'Threads', and women's views.
Caddy C, Cheong M, Lim MSC, Power R, Vogel JP, Bradfield Z, Coghlan B, Homer CSE, Wilson AN
PLoS One. 2023 Jan; 18(1):e0279990
- Hungry for more: Australian medical students' competence, attitudes and preferences towards nutrition education.
Bredhauer J, Cone S, Brown L, Moseley G, Wilson A, Perlstein R, Ball L
BMC Med Educ. 2022 Sep; 22(1):692
- Multicountry study protocol of COCOON: COntinuing Care in COVID-19 Outbreak global survey of New, expectant, and bereaved parent experiences.
Loughnan SA, Gautam R, Silverio SA, Boyle FM, Cassidy J, Ellwood D, Homer C, Horey D, Leisher SH, de Montigny F, Murphy M, O'Donoghue K, Quigley P, Ravaldi C, Sandall J, Storey C, Wilson AN, Flenady V (COCOON Global Collaboration)
BMJ Open. 2022 Sep; 12(9):e061550
- Exclusive breastfeeding and women's psychological well-being during the first wave of COVID-19 pandemic in Italy
Ravaldi C, Mosconi l, Wilson AN, Lisa H. Amir LH, Bonaiuti R Ricca V, Vannacci A
Front Public Health. 2022 Aug; 10:965306
- 'What do doctors think they need to know about nutrition?'-a qualitative study of doctors with formal nutrition training.
Caldow G, Palermo C, Wilson AN
BMC Nutr. 2022 Aug; 8(1):85
- Strategies to reduce stigma and discrimination in sexual and reproductive healthcare settings: A mixed-methods systematic review
Bohren MA, Vazquez Corona M, Odiase OJ, Wilson AN, Sudhinaraset M, Diamond-Smith N, Berryman J, Tunçalp O, Afulani PA
PLoS Glob Pub Health. 2022 Jun; 2(6):e0000582
- Are Australian junior doctors failing to act as health advocates? A qualitative analysis
Maloney DPD, Moodie R, Daube M, Wilson AN
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2022 Jun; 46(4):527-532
- Quality newborn care in East New Britain, Papua New Guinea: measuring early newborn care practices and identifying opportunities for improvement.
Wilson AN, Melepia P, Suruka R, Hezeri P, Kabiu D, Babona D, Wapi P, Spotswood N, Bohren MA, Vogel JP, Kelly-Hanku A, Morgan A, Beeson JG, Morgan C, Vallely LM, Waramin EJ, Scoullar MJL, Homer CSE
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2022 Jun; 22(1):462
- Australian women's experiences of receiving maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic: A cross-sectional national survey.
Wilson AN, Sweet L, Vasilevski V, Hauck Y, Wynter K, Kuliukas L, Szabo RA, Homer CSE, Bradfield Z
Birth. 2022 Mar; 49(1):30-39
- Partnership-defined quality approach to companionship during labour and birth in East New Britain, Papua New Guinea: A mixed-methods study
Wilson AN, Melepia P, Suruka R, Hezeri P, Kabiu D, Babona D, Wapi P, Bohren MA, Vogel JP, Kelly-Hanku A, Morgan A, Beeson JG, Morgan C, Spotswood N, Scoullar MJL, Vallely LM, Homer CSE
PLoS Glob Pub Health. 2022 Feb; 2(2):e0000102
- Access to, and experiences of, maternity care for women with physical disabilities: A scoping review.
Blair A, Cao J, Wilson A, Homer C
Midwifery. 2022 Feb; 107:103273
- Enhancing quality midwifery care in humanitarian and fragile settings: a systematic review of interventions, support systems and enabling environments.
Homer CS, Turkmani S, Wilson AN, Vogel JP, Shah MG, Fogstad H, Langlois EV
BMJ Glob Health. 2022 Jan; 7(1)
- Outcomes to measure the effects of pharmacological interventions for pain management for women during labour and birth: A review of systematic reviews and randomised trials.
Tan A, Wilson AN, Eghrari D, Clark H, Tse WC, Bohren MA, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
BJOG. 2022 Jan; 129(6):845-854
- Midwives' experiences of providing maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic in Australia.
Bradfield Z, Hauck Y, Homer CSE, Sweet L, Wilson AN, Szabo RA, Wynter K, Vasilevski V, Kuliukas L
Women Birth. 2022 Jan; 35(3):262-271
- Receiving maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic: Experiences of women's partners and support persons.
Vasilevski V, Sweet L, Bradfield Z, Wilson AN, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Homer CSE, Szabo RA, Wynter K
Women Birth. 2022 Jan; 35(3):298-306
- Childbearing women's experiences of the maternity care system in Australia during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sweet L, Wilson AN, Bradfield Z, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Homer CSE, Szabo RA, Wynter K, Vasilevski V
Women Birth. 2022 Jan; 35(3):223-231
- Preliminary findings on the experiences of care for parents who suffered perinatal bereavement during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Silverio SA, Easter A, Storey C, Jurković D, Sandall J; PUDDLES Global Collaboration (including Homer CSE and Wilson AN)
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2021 Dec; 21(1):840
- Funding received from breastmilk substitute manufacturers and policy positions of national maternity care provider associations: an online cross-sectional review
Qassin S, Homer CSE, Wilson AN
BMJ Open. 2021 Dec; 11(12):e050179
- COVID-19 vaccination perceptions and intentions of maternity care consumers and providers in Australia.
Bradfield Z, Wynter K, Hauck Y, Sweet L, Wilson AN, Szabo RA, Vasilevski V, Kuliukas L, Homer CSE
PLoS One. 2021 Nov; 16(11):e0260049
- The Optimise Study: Information access and communication about COVID-19. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Kwong E, Heath K, Altermatt A, Munari S, Merner B, Hill S, Stoové M, Wilson A, Caddy C, Lim M, Vogel J, Power R, Coghlan B, Cheong M, Bradfield Z, Homer C, Pedrana A, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Sep; Report 10:1-13
- Defining Preterm Birth and Stillbirth in the Western Pacific: A Systematic Review.
Connolly M, Phung L, Farrington E, Scoullar MJL, Wilson AN, Comrie-Thomson L, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Asia Pac J Public Health. 2021 Jun; 33(5):489-501
- The prevalence of uterine fundal pressure during the second stage of labour for women giving birth in health facilities: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Farrington E, Connolly M, Phung L, Wilson AN, Comrie-Thomson L, Bohren MA, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Reprod Health. 2021 May; 18(1):98
- Intravenous oxytocin dosing regimens for postpartum hemorrhage prevention at cesarean section: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Phung LC, Farrington EK, Connolly M, Wilson AN, Carvalho B, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021 May; 225(3):250-263
- Rethinking the use of 'vulnerable'.
Munari SC, Wilson AN, Blow NJ, Homer CSE, Ward JE
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2021 Apr; 45(3):197-199
- Experiences of receiving and providing maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic in Australia: A five-cohort cross-sectional comparison.
Bradfield Z, Wynter K, Hauck Y, Vasilevski V, Kuliukas L, Wilson AN, Szabo RA, Homer CSE, Sweet L
PLoS One. 2021 Mar; 16(3):e0248488
- Public health physicians: who are they and why we need more of them - especially in Victoria.
Wilson AN, Moodie R, Grills N
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2021 Mar; 45(2):93-94
- Becoming a mother in the 'new' social world in Australia during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sweet L, Bradfield Z, Vasilevski V, Wynter K, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Homer CSE, Szabo RA, Wilson AN
Midwifery. 2021 Mar; 98:102996
- 'No-Frills Prils': GPs' views on drug costs and therapeutic interchange of angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors: a qualitative study.
Lim H, Sanci L, Webster S, Wilson AN, Lau P
Aust J Prim Health. 2021 Mar; 27(2):152-157
- Women's sleep position during pregnancy in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review.
Rossiter SK, Aziz S, Wilson AN, Comrie-Thomson L, Stacey T, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Reprod Health. 2021 Mar; 18(1):53
- The cost-effectiveness of tranexamic acid for treatment of postpartum hemorrhage: A systematic review.
Aziz S, Rossiter S, Homer CSE, Wilson AN, Comrie-Thomson L, Scott N, Vogel JP
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2021 Feb; 155(3):331-341
- A cross sectional study of midwifery students' experiences of COVID-19: Uncertainty and expendability.
Kuliukas L, Hauck Y, Sweet L, Vasilevski V, Homer C, Wynter K, Wilson A, Szabo R, Bradfield Z
Nurse Educ Pract. 2021 Feb; 51:102988
- Covid-19 changes to maternity care: Experiences of Australian doctors.
Szabo RA, Wilson AN, Homer C, Vasilevski V, Sweet L, Wynter K, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Bradfield Z
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2021 Feb; 61(3):408-415
- Pregnant women voice their concerns and birth expectations during the COVID-19 pandemic in Italy.
Ravaldi C, Wilson A, Ricca V, Homer C, Vannacci A
Women Birth. 2021 Jan; 34(4):335-343
- Clinical guidelines for caring for women with COVID-19 during pregnancy, childbirth and the immediate postpartum period.
Pavlidis P, Eddy K, Phung L, Farrington E, Connolly M, Lopes R, Wilson AN, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Women Birth. 2021 Jan; 34(5):455-464
- Caring for the carers: Ensuring the provision of quality maternity care during a global pandemic.
Wilson AN, Ravaldi C, Scoullar MJL, Vogel JP, Szabo RA, Fisher JRW, Homer CSE
Women Birth. 2021 Jan; 34(3):206-209
- Assessing the quality of antenatal corticosteroids in low- and middle-income countries: A systematic review.
Mosoro E, Wilson AN, Homer CSE, Vogel J
PLoS One. 2020 Dec; 15(12):e0243034
- Associations of gestational diabetes and type 2 diabetes during pregnancy with breastfeeding at hospital discharge and up to 6 months: the PANDORA study.
Danielle K Longmore, Elizabeth L M Barr, Alyce N Wilson, Federica Barzi, Marie Kirkwood, Alison Simmonds, I-Lynn Lee, Eyvette Hawthorne, Paula Van Dokkum, Christine Connors, Jacqueline A Boyle, Paul Zimmet, Kerin O'Dea, Jeremy Oats, Harold D McIntyre, Alex D H Brown, Jonathan E Shaw, Louise J Maple-Brown
Diabetologia. 2020 Dec; 63(12):2571-2581
- Previous psychopathology predicted severe COVID-19 concern, anxiety, and PTSD symptoms in pregnant women during "lockdown" in Italy.
Ravaldi C, Ricca V, Wilson A, Homer C, Vannacci A
Arch Womens Ment Health. 2020 Nov; 23 :783-786
- Improving the quality of maternal and newborn care in the Pacific region: A scoping review.
Wilson AN, Spotswood N, Hayman GS, Vogel JP, Narasia J, Elijah A, Morgan C, Morgan A, Beeson J, Homer CSE
Lancet Reg Health West Pac. 2020 Oct; 3:100028
- Cost-effectiveness of uterine tamponade devices for the treatment of postpartum haemorrhage: A systematic review.
Vogel JP, Wilson AN, Scott N, Widmer M, Althabe F, Oladapo OT
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2020 Sep; 151(3):333-340
- Self-care and remote care during pregnancy: a new paradigm?
Gülmezoglu AM, Ammerdorffer A, Narasimhan M, Wilson AN, Vogel JP, Say L, Tunçalp Ö
Health Res Policy Syst. 2020 Sep; 18(1):107
- Wilson and Homer reply to Papadakis.
Wilson AN, Homer CSE
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2020 Jun; 60(3):E7
- Editorial: Words matter; language matters.
Homer C, Wilson A, Davis D
Women Birth. 2020 Mar; 33(2):105-106
- Third- and fourth-degree tears: A review of the current evidence for prevention and management.
Wilson AN, Homer CSE
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2020 Feb; 60(2):175-182
- Traditional food availability and consumption in remote Aboriginal communities in the Northern Territory, Australia.
Megan Ferguson, Clare Brown, Claire Georga, Edward Miles, Alyce Wilson, Julie Brimblecombe
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2017 Jun; 41(3):294-298
- Low rates of predominant breastfeeding in hospital after gestational diabetes, particularly among Indigenous women in Australia.
Catherine R Chamberlain, Alyce N Wilson, Lisa H Amir, Kerin O'Dea, Sandra Campbell, Dympna Leonard, Rebecca Ritte, Mary Mulcahy, Sandra Eades, Rory Wolfe
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2017 Apr; 41(2):144-150
News Articles (17)