An infectious diseases physician, Dr Suman Majumdar is Deputy Program Director (Health Security) at Burnet Institute, and a member of the Tuberculosis Working Group. He has focused skills in the clinical and programmatic management of TB/drug-resistant TB, HIV medicine, training healthcare workers, and health system strengthening.
Suman has worked in a variety of contexts, implementing TB/HIV and global health programs in Timor-Leste, China, India, Mexico, Swaziland and regions of the former Soviet Union.
He has a passion for working in global health through sustainable partnerships and building local capacity. His work aims to redress health inequalities resulting from infectious diseases and enhance health service delivery in low and middle-income countries by providing technical support, training and conducting operational/implementation research.
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Member of the Royal College of Physicians, London
- Member of the Australasian Society of Infectious Diseases
- Member of the Australasian Society for HIV medicine
- Member of Médecins Sans Frontières Australia Association
- Member of the International Union Against Tuberculosis and Lung Disease
- 2017: Deputy Program Director (Health Security), Burnet Institute
- 2013: Infectious Diseases Specialist, Centre for International Health, Burnet Institute
- 2013-present: Consultant Infectious Diseases Physician, International Travel Health, The Alfred, Melbourne
- 2013: TB/HIV Program Implementer – Médecins Sans Frontières, Manson Unit, MSF UK
- 2011-2013: Clinical advisor and associate, Burnet Institute
- 2011-2013: Infectious diseases registrar, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Royal Darwin Hospital and The Alfred
- 2010: Drug-resistant TB doctor, Abkhazia/Georgia, Médecins Sans Frontières
- 2008-2009: Physician trainee; The Alfred Melbourne, Alice Springs Hospital, John Hunter Hospital Newcastle
- 2007: Project doctor, Timor-Leste, Australian Aid International
- 2004-2006: Intern, RMO; St Vincent’s Hospital Sydney, Monash Medical Centre Melbourne
- 2013: FRACP, Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (Infectious Diseases)
- 2010: MRCP (UK), Member of the Royal College of Physicians, London
- 2007: MPH&TM, Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine, James Cook University, Australia
- 2004: Bachelor of Medicine, University of Newcastle, Australia
- 2019: Burnet Institute Gust-McKenzie Medal
- 2013: ASID International travel award, Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases
- 2004: UMAP Scholarship, University mobility in Asia and the Pacific
- 1998: Deans Commendation for High Achievement, University of Queensland
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis diagnosis since Xpert® MTB/RIF introduction in Papua New Guinea, 2012–2017
Lavu EK, Johnson K, Banamu J, Pandey S, Carter R, Coulter C, Aia P, Majumdar SS, Marais BJ, Graham SM, Vince J
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S12-S18
- Impact of GxAlert on the management of rifampicin-resistant tuberculosis patients, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea.
Banamu JK, Lavu E, Johnson K, Moke R, Majumdar SS, Takarinda KC, Commons RJ
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S19-S24
- Implementation of screening and management of household contacts of tuberculosis cases in Daru, Papua New Guinea
Honjepari A, Madiowi S, Madjus S, Burkot C, Islam S, Chan G, Majumdar SS, Graham SM
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S25-S31
- The effects of decentralisation of tuberculosis services in the East New Britain Province, Papua New Guinea.
Maha A, Majumdar SS, Main S, Phillip W, Witari K, Schulz J, du Cros P
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S43-S49
- Successful implementation of bedaquiline for multidrug-resistant TB treatment in remote Papua New Guinea.
Taune M, Ustero P, Hiashiri S, Huang K, Aia P, Morris L, Main S, Chan G, du Cros P, Majumdar SS
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S73-S79
- The SORT IT model for building operational research capacity: the experience of TB service providers in PNG.
Aia P, Majumdar SS, Pomat W, Tefuarani N, Graham SM, Dakulala P
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S1-S2
- The emergency response to multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Daru, Western Province, Papua New Guinea, 2014–2017
Morris L, Hiasihri S, Chan G, Honjepari A, Tugo O, Taune M, Aia P, Dakulala P, Majumdar, SS
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S4-S11
- Telemedicine in resource-limited settings to optimize care for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis.
Huang GKL, Pawape G, Taune M, Hiasihri S, Ustero P, O'Brien DP, du Cros P, Graham S, Wootton R, Majumdar S
Frontiers in Public Health. 2019 Aug; 7:222
- Training for Tuberculosis Elimination in Indonesia: Achievements, Reflections, and Potential for Impact.
Main S, Lestari T, Triasih R, Chan G, Davidson L, Majumdar S, Santoso D, Phung S, Laukkala J, Graham S, du Cros P, Ralph A
Trop Med Infect Dis. 2019 Jul; 4(3):E107
- Early success with retention in care among people living with HIV at decentralized ART satellite sites in Yangon, Myanmar, 2015–2016
Htet KM, Soe KT, Myo Minn Oo MM, Hone S, Majumdar SS, Oo HN
Front Pub Health. 2019 May; 7:124
- Are death and loss to follow-up still high in people living with HIV on ART after national scale-up and earlier treatment initiation? A large cohort study in government hospital-based setting, Myanmar: 2013-2016.
Aung ZZ, Oo MM, Tripathy JP, Kyaw NTT, Hone S, Oo HN, Majumdar SS
PLoS One. 2018 Sep; 13(9):e0204550
- Evaluation of a tuberculosis active case finding project in peri-urban areas, Myanmar: 2014-2016.
Aye S, Majumdar SS, Oo MM, Tripathy JP, Satyanarayana S, Kyaw NTT, Kyaw KWY, Oo NL, Thein S, Thu MK, Soe KT, Aung ST
Int J Infect Dis. 2018 May; 70:93-100
- Multi-clonal evolution of multi-drug-resistant/extensively drug-resistant Mycobacterium tuberculosis in a high-prevalence setting of Papua New Guinea for over three decades.
Bainomugisa A, Lavu E, Hiashiri S, Majumdar S, Honjepari A, Moke R6, Dakulala P, Hill-Cawthorne GA, Pandey S, Marais BJ, Coulter C, Coin L
Microb Genom. 2018 Jan; 4(2):e000147
- Extending 'Contact Tracing' into the community within a 50-metre radius of an index tuberculosis patient Using Xpert MTB/RIF in urban, Pakistan: Did it increase case detection?
Fatima R, Qadeer E, Yaqoob A, Haq MU, Majumdar SS, Shewade HD, Stevens R, Creswell J, Mahmood N, Kumar AM
PLoS One. 2016 Nov; 11(11):e0165813
- Dotting the Three I's for collaborative TB-HIV activities: evaluation of a pilot programme in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Sah SK, Sahu SK, Lamichhane B, Bhatta GK, Bhandari KB, Owiti P, Majumdar SS
Public Health Action. 2016 Sep; 6(3):169-175
- Mycobacterium Tuberculosis. (Book Chapter)
in "HIV Management in Australasia" Australasian Society for HIV Medicine, Sydney, Australia.. 2016 Jul
- Workshop on Prioritising New Research Areas for Tuberculosis Control in Myanmar. (Report)
Aung ST, Saw S, Sein TT, Aung PP, Pastricha N, Chan G, Majumdar S
Ministry of Health, Myanmar. 2016 Jul
- The Spectrum of Chromobacterium violaceum Infections from a Single Geographic Location.
Lin YD, Majumdar SS, Hennessy J, Baird RW
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2016 Feb; 94(4):710-716
- Overview of viral hepatitis treatment research in China. (WHO Report)
El-Hayek C, Zou H, Hua B, Cheah S, Majumdar S, Hellard M
WHO China. 2015 Jul
- Neonatal mortality in India's rural poor: Findings of a household survey and verbal autopsy study in Rajasthan, Bihar and Odisha.
Dogra V, Khanna R, Jain A, Kumar AM, Shewade HD, Majumdar SS
J Trop Pediatr. 2015 Mar; 61(3):210-214
- Adoptive T cell immunotherapy for treatment of ganciclovir-resistant cytomegalovirus disease in a renal transplant recipient.
N Macesic, D Langsford, K Nicholls, P Hughes, D J Gottlieb, L Clancy, E Blyth, K Micklethwaite, B Withers, S Majumdar, S Fleming, J Sasadeusz
Am J Transplant. 2015 Mar; 15(3):827-832
- The 'frozen state' of drug-resistant tuberculosis: notes from the field in Abkhazia.
S Majumdar, D O'Brien, N Hurtado, C Hewison, P du Cros
Intern Med J. 2011 Dec; 41(12):805-808
- Drug-resistant tuberculosis in 9 high burden Asian countries. (Report)
Majumdar S, Kong F, du Cros P, O’Brien D, Reeder J, Elliott J
AusAID Health Resource Facility. Australian Government, Canberra. 2011 Jul
News Articles (42)