Danielle joined Burnet Instiute as a Research Assistant in 2007 after completing a Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Hons) at Monash University. Between 2011 and 2014, Danielle completed her PhD through Burnet and Monash University School of Public Health and Preventive Medicine. Danielle’s thesis examined the epidemiology of injecting drug use in contemporary Australian settings.
Danielle is recognised as an emerging leader in epidemiological research, with over eight years' experience conducting research focusing on illicit drug use, blood-borne viruses, sexual health, HIV prevention and migrant/refugee health. She has expertise in working with large datasets, longitudinal study design and data analysis, and qualitative research methods.
From March 2015, Danielle will be based at the Division of Global Public Health, University of California San Diego, where she will be conducting research examining the complex relationships between forced migration and substance use.
- 2015 - : Postdoctoral Scholar, Division of Global Public Health, University of California San Diego
- 2015 - : Early Career Research Fellow, Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute
- 2015 - : Adjunct Research Fellow, School of Public Health & Preventive Medicine, Monash University
- 2014: Assistant Lecturer, School of Public Health & Preventive Medicine, Monash University
- 2011 – 2014: PhD Candidate, Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute
- 2007 – 2014: Research Assistant, Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute
- 2014: PhD, Monash University
- 2006: BBiomedSci (Hons), Monash University
- 2015 – 2018: NHMRC Sidney Sax Overseas Public Health Early Career Fellowship
- 2015: Endeavour Research Fellowship
- 2014: PhD Thesis Excellence Award, Monash University School of Public Health & Preventive Medicine
- 2014: Monash University Postgraduate Publication Award
- 2013: Miller Foundation Public Health Travel Award
- 2012: Monash University Postgraduate Travel Award
- The experience of initiating injection drug use and its social context: A qualitative systematic review and thematic synthesis.
Guise A, Horyniak D, Melo J, McNeill R, Werb D
Addiction. 2017 Jul; Epub ahead of print
- Cross-border injection drug use and HIV and hepatitis C virus seropositivity among people who inject drugs in San Diego, California.
Horyniak D, Wagner KD, Armenta RF, Cuevas-Mota J, Hendrickson E, Garfein RS
J Int AIDS Soc. 2017 Jul; 47:9-17
- Trends in reports of driving following illicit drug consumption among regular drug users in Australia, 2007-2013: Has random roadside drug testing had a deterrent effect?
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Lenton S, Alati R, Bruno R, Matthews A, Breen C, Burns L
Accid Anal Prev. 2017 May; 104:146-155
- The role of respect in interactions with police among substance-using African refugee young people in Melbourne, Australia
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P
J Ethn Crim Just. 2017 Feb; 15(2):185-204
- Relationships Between Integration and Drug Use Among Deported Migrants in Tijuana, Mexico.
Horyniak D, Pinedo M, Burgos JL, Ojeda VD.
J Immigr Minor Health. 2017 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Exploring attitudes towards sexting of young people: a cross-sectional study.
Lim MS, Vella AM, Horyniak DR, Hellard ME
Sexual Health. 2016 Oct; 13(6):530-535
- Epidemiology of Substance Use among Forced Migrants: A Global Systematic Review.
Horyniak D, Melo JS, Farrell RM, Ojeda VD, Strathdee SA
PLoS One. 2016 Jul; 11(7):e0159134
- Heavy alcohol consumption among marginalised African refugee young people in Melbourne, Australia: motivations for drinking, experiences of alcohol-related problems and strategies for managing drinking.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T
Ethn Health. 2016 Mar; 21(3):284-299
- From initiating injecting drug use to regular injecting: Retrospective survival analysis of injecting progression within a sample of people who inject drugs regularly.
O'Keefe D, Horyniak D, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016 Jan; 158:177-180
- Age-related differences in patterns of criminal activity among a large sample of polydrug injectors in Australia.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Degenhardt. L, Agius P, Higgs P, Bruno R, Alati R, Burns L
J Subst Abuse. 2016 Jan; 22(1):48-56
- Patterns of, and Factors Associated With, Illicit Pharmaceutical Opioid Analgesic Use in a Prospective Cohort of People Who Inject Drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Agius PA, Degenhardt L, Reddel S, Higgs P, Aitken C, Stoové M, Dietze P
Subst Use Misuse. 2015 Nov; 50(13):1650-1659
- How do drug market changes affect characteristics of injecting initiation and subsequent patterns of drug use? Findings from a cohort of regular heroin and methamphetamine injectors in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Stoové M, Degenhardt L, Aitken C, Kerr T, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2015 Jan; 26(1):43-50
- Effect of Intubation for Gamma-hydroxybutyric Acid Overdose on Emergency Department Length of Stay and Hospital Admission.
Dietze P, Horyniak D, Agius P, Munir V, Smit DV, Johnston J, Fry CL, Degenhardt L
Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Nov; 21(11):1226-1231
- Experiences of and Attitudes Toward Injecting Drug Use Among Marginalized African Migrant and Refugee Youth in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T, Seid G
J Ethn Subst Abuse. 2014 Oct; 13(4):405-429
- Prevalence, correlates, and attitudes towards sexting among young people in Melbourne, Australia
Yeung T, Horyniak D, Vella A, Hellard M, Lim M
Sex Healtrh. 2014 Jul; 11(4):332-339
- Pattern and characteristics of ecstasy and related drug (ERD) presentations at two hospital emergency departments, Melbourne, Australia, 2008-2010.
Horyniak D, Degenhardt L, Smit DV, Munir V, Johnston J, Fry C, Dietze P
Emerg Med J. 2014 Jan; 31(4):317-322
- Establishing the Melbourne injecting drug user cohort study (MIX): rationale, methods, and baseline and twelve-month follow-up results.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Jenkinson R, Degenhardt L, Stoové M, Kerr T, Hickman M, Aitken C, Dietze P
Harm Reduct J. 2013 Jun; 10(1):11
- The relationship between age and risky injecting behaviours among a sample of Australian people who inject drugs.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Degenhardt L, Higgs P, McIlwraith F, Alati R, Bruno R, Lenton S, Burns L
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013 May; 132(3):541-6
- “Let’s Get Wasted!” and Other Apps: Characteristics, Acceptability, and Use of Alcohol-Related Smartphone Applications
Weaver ER, Horyniak DR Jenkinson R, Dietze P, Lim MSC
JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2013 Feb; 1(1):E9
- Injecting drug use and related health behaviours in a small case series of East African migrants in Melbourne.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Degenhardt L, Cogger S, Power R, Dietze P
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2012 Dec; 36(6):586-587
- The use of alprazolam by people who inject drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Reddel S, Quinn B, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2012 Jun; 31(4):585-590
- Behavioural interventions for preventing hepatitis C infection in people who inject drugs: A global systematic review.
Sacks-Davis R, Horyniak D, Grebely J, Hellard M
Int J Drug Policy. 2012 May; 23(3):176-184
- Post-marketing surveillance of buprenorphine-naloxone in Australia: diversion, injection and adherence with supervised dosing.
Larance B, Degenhardt L, Lintzeris N, Bell J, Winstock A, Dietze P, Mattick R, Ali R, Horyniak D
Drug Alcohol Dependence:. 2011 Nov; 118(2-3):265-273
- Global epidemiology of hepatitis B and hepatitis C in people who inject drugs: results of systematic reviews.
Nelson PK, Mathers BM, Cowie B, Hagan H, Des Jarlais D, Horyniak D, Degenhardt L
Lancet. 2011 Aug; 378(9791):571-583
- The prevalence and correlates of buprenorphine inhalation amongst opioid substitution treatment (OST) clients in Australia.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Larance B, Winstock A, Degenhardt L
Int J Drug Policy. 2011 Mar; 22(2):167-171
News Articles (6)