Michelle is a Principal Investigator on Burnet's flagship Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies (HMHB) project and a PhD candidate.
Previously Michelle was the Research Program Manager for HMHB based in East New Britain (ENB), Papua New Guinea (PNG). She has a special interest in health system strengthening, health worker training, maternal, newborn and child health, and operational and implementation research.
Michelle has practical clinical and public health experience in remote Australia, Lao PDR and PNG. She is skilled in training and motivating small teams, working cross-culturally and has technical expertise in research, maternal, newborn and child health.
Having grown up in Africa, Asia and the Pacific, Michelle has always had a passion for rectifying health inequalities faced by women and children in these communities. She aims to achieve this through her work, fostering cross-institutional partnerships, medical research and health-system strengthening.
- Bachelor of Medicine, Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), Monash University
- Masters in International Health (MIH), Monash University/Burnet Institute
- Diploma in Obstetrics and Gynaecology (DRANZCOG)
- The Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- The Royal Australian and New Zealand of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- 2014-16: Research Program Manager, Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies project, Burnet Institute, Kokopo, PNG
- 2013: Clinical Fellow, Centre for International Child Health (CICH), University of Melbourne, Lao PDR
- 2013: Early Essential Newborn Care (EENC) Steering Committee, Lao PDR Ministry of Health and World Health Organization
- 2013: Senior Paediatric Registrar, Townsville, Queensland
- 2010: Maternal and Child Health Project, Ilahita Melbourne Community Association (IMCA), East Sepik, Papua New Guinea
- 2009-2012: Paediatric Registrar, Royal Children's Hospital and Sunshine Hospital, Melbourne
- 2007-2008: Intern and Residents, Western Health, Melbourne
- 2006: Nonga Base Hospital, Rabaul, Papua New Guinea
- 2006: Aboriginal Health Clinic, Amoonguna, Northern Territory