Lee completed a BSc(Hons) at the University of Melbourne, majoring in Botany. He then completed a PhD in the laboratories of Associate Professor Stuart Ralph and Professor Geoff McFadden, followed by a postdoctoral position with Dr Michael Duffy, both at the University of Melbourne.
His research has combined equal parts bioinformatics and wet-lab work, including transcriptomics, whole-genome sequencing, molecular and cell biology, and CRISPR-Cas9. His projects have investigated the role and mechanism of alternative splicing in apicomplexans, and the function of histone modifications and epigenetic regulation of transcription in the malaria parasite.
He joined Professor James Beeson’s lab in 2021 to research the immune response to Plasmodium vivax malaria.
- 2021: Honorary Senior Fellow, Department of Medicine, The University of Melbourne
- 2017: Australian Epigenetics Alliance (AEpiA)
- 2010: Australian Society for Parasitology (ASP)
- 2017–2021: Postdoctoral fellow, Michael Duffy laboratory, Department of Microbiology and Immunology, The University of Melbourne
- 2018: PhD, The University of Melbourne
- 2009: BSc(Hons), The University of Melbourne
- 2020: Bio21 Institute Research Fellow Travel Award
- 2019: EMCRA travel award, School of Biomedical Sciences, the University of Melbourne
- 2019: Australia-Germany joint research co-operation scheme grant, UA-DAAD
- 2013: Best postgraduate speaker presentation, Malaria in Melbourne Conference
- 2013: VLSCI Travel Award, OzEMalaR Travel Award, Bio21 Travel Award
- 2012: VLSCI PhD Top-Up Scholarship
- 2011: The Megan Klemm Postgraduate Research Award, the University of Melbourne
- 2010: Best first-year speaker at the Biochemistry and Molecular Biology Postgraduate retreat
- 2010: Best Student Oral Presentation for an Australian Society for Parasitology member at ICOPA XII
- 2010: Australian Society for Parasitology Student Travel Grant
- Histone modifications associated with gene expression and genome accessibility are dynamically enriched at Plasmodium falciparum regulatory sequences.
Tang J, Chisholm SA, Yeoh LM, Gilson PR, Papenfuss AT, Day KP, Petter M, Duffy MF
Epigenetics Chromatin. 2020 Nov; 13(1):50
- Developments in drug design strategies for bromodomain protein inhibitors to target Plasmodium falciparum parasites.
Hanh H T Nguyen, Lee M Yeoh, Scott A Chisholm, Michael F Duffy
Expert Opin Drug Discov. 2020 Apr; 15(4):415-425
- Decreased K13 Abundance Reduces Hemoglobin Catabolism and Proteotoxic Stress, Underpinning Artemisinin Resistance.
Tuo Yang, Lee M Yeoh, Madel V Tutor, Matthew W Dixon, Paul J McMillan, Stanley C Xie, Jessica L Bridgford, David L Gillett, Michael F Duffy, Stuart A Ralph, Malcolm J McConville, Leann Tilley, Simon A Cobbold
Cell Rep. 2019 Nov; 29(9):2917-2928.e5
- Alternative splicing is required for stage differentiation in malaria parasites.
Lee M Yeoh, Christopher D Goodman, Vanessa Mollard, Emma McHugh, V Vern Lee, Angelika Sturm, Anton Cozijnsen, Geoffrey I McFadden, Stuart A Ralph
Genome Biol. 2019 Aug; 20(1):151
- Alternative Splicing in Apicomplexan Parasites.
Lee M Yeoh, V Vern Lee, Geoffrey I McFadden, Stuart A Ralph
mBio. 2019 Feb; 10(1)