Initially working in mental health and homelessness service provision in Australia and the UK, Daniel moved into public health research in 2010 after joining Burnet Institute.
Since then, Daniel has fostered strong research skills in program development and leadership, field research and programmatic evaluation, particularly in the areas of alcohol and other drug research and viral hepatitis elimination.
- 2021: Senior Project Officer, Burnet Institute
- 2019-2021: Research and Technical Advisor, Burnet Institute Myanmar Office
- 2018-2019: Data Analyst Activity Manager, Médecins Sans Frontières
- 2014-2018: PhD Candidate, Monash University
- 2010-2013: Research Assistant, Burnet Institute
- 2018: Doctor of Philosophy (Public Health)
- 2012: Master of Public Health (International Health)
- 2004: Bachelor of Behavioural Science
Assessing the feasibility of an integrated HIV cascade of care surveillance system in Myanmar (ACCESS Myanmar)
Blood-borne virus and STI self-testing❗Student Projects Available
EC Australia: Eliminate Hepatitis C Australia Partnership
PATH Cohort Study
- Does sexuality matter? A cross-sectional study of drug use, social injecting, and access to injection-specific care among men who inject drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Schroeder SE, Wilkinson AL, O'Keefe D, Bourne A, Doyle JS, Hellard M, Dietze P, Pedrana A
Harm Reduct J. 2023 Jan; 20(1):9
- Changes in needle and syringe presentations point to the successes of Australian harm reduction policy and practice.
O'Keefe D, Jacka D, Maher L
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2023 Jan; 47(1):100016
- Analysis of four syringe dispensing machine point-of-access data 2017-2020 in Melbourne, Australia: machine utilisation and client demographics.
Kerr P, Cossar RD, Livingston M, Jacka D, Dietze P, O'Keefe D
Harm Reduct J. 2022 Dec; 19(1):144
- Access to needles and syringes and methadone maintenance therapy among people who inject drugs in Yangon, Myanmar: a qualitative study.
Yee WL, Draper B, Myint KT, Min W, Htay H, O'Keefe D, Hellard M
Harm Reduct J. 2022 Sep; 19(1):107
- Time-series analysis of presentations to four syringe dispensing machines and a needle and syringe programme during COVID-19 lockdowns in Melbourne, Australia.
O'Keefe D, Livingston M, Cossar RD, Kerr P, Jacka D, Dietze P
Harm Reduct J. 2022 Sep; 19(1):101
- Health service utilisation and access for people who inject drugs during COVID-19.
Efunnuga H, Higgs P, Walker S, O'Keefe D
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2022 Mar; 41(6):1304-1310
- Exploring hepatitis C virus testing and treatment engagement over time in Melbourne, Australia: a study protocol for a longitudinal cohort study (EC-Experience Cohort study).
O'Keefe D, Gunn J, Ryan K, Djordjevic F, Kerr P, Gold J, Elsum I, Layton C, Chan K, Dietze P, Higgs P, Doyle J, Stoové MA, Hellard M, Pedrana AE
BMJ Open. 2022 Jan; 12(1):e057618
- Cohort Profile: The Melbourne Injecting Drug User Cohort Study (SuperMIX).
Van Den Boom W, Quiroga MDM, O'Keefe D, Kumar D, Hill PL, Scott N, Agius PA, Higgs P, Kerr T, Maher L, Hickman M, Stoové M, Dietze P
Int J Epidemiol. 2022 Jan; 51(3):e123-e130
- Health service utilisation and experiences of stigma among people who inject drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Djordjevic F, Ryan K, Gunn J, Brener L, O'Keefe D, Draper B, Schroeder S, Gold J, Treloar C, Broady T, Dietze P, Hellard M, Pedrana A
J Viral Hepat. 2021 Sep; 28(12):1738-1743
- Decentralised hepatitis C testing and treatment in rural Cambodia: evaluation of a simplified service model integrated in an existing public health system.
Zhang M, O'Keefe D, Craig J, Samley K, Bunreth V, Jolivet P, Balkan S, Marquardt T, Dousset JP, Le Paih M
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021 Mar; 6(5):371-380
- High sustained viral response rate in patients with hepatitis C using generic sofosbuvir and daclatasvir in Phnom Penh, Cambodia.
Zhang M, O'Keefe D, Iwamoto M, Sann K, Kien A, Hang V, Brucker C, Jolivet P, Ly S, Chhit D, Balkan S, Marquardt T, Le Paih M, Dousset JP
J Viral Hepat. 2020 May; 27(9):886-895
- Response to Kwon et al. "Estimating the number of people who inject drugs and syringe coverage in Australia, 2005-2016".
O'Keefe D, Aitken C, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2020 Jan; 207:107800
- Use of alcohol swabs to clean injecting sites among people who regularly inject drugs in Australia.
Gibbs D, Peacock A, O'Keefe D, Butler K, Bruno R, Lenton S, Burns L, Larney S.
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2020 Jan; 39(1):83-92
- Harm reduction programs and policy in Australia: barriers and enablers to effective implementation.
O’Keefe D, Ritter A, Stoové M, Hughes C, Dietze P
SUCHT. 2020 Jan; 66(1):33-43
- Geo-spatial analysis of individual-level needle and syringe coverage in Melbourne, Australia.
O'Keefe D, Wilkinson A, Aitken C, Dietze P
PLoS One. 2018 Dec; 13(12):e0209280
- Blood-borne virus transmission in an urban, culturally diverse neighbourhood: results from a cross-sectional bio-behavioural survey using innovative outreach methods in a hard-to-reach population.
Peach E, Cogger S, Byron K, Francis P, O'Keefe D, Higgs P, Stoove M, Elmore K, Dietze P, Hellard M
Sex Health. 2018 Oct; 15(1):54-60
- Analysis of time of drug use according to needle and syringe program operating hours in Melbourne, Australia: Effects on individual-level needle and syringe coverage.
O'Keefe D, Aitken C, Scott N, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018 Aug; 191:259-265
- Should sterile needle and syringe wastage be included within individual-level needle and syringe coverage measures?
O'Keefe D, Aitken C, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2018 Aug; 60:8-9
- Are there differences in individual-level needle and syringe coverage across Australian jurisdictions related to program policy? A preliminary analysis.
Hill P, O'Keefe D, Dietze PM
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2018 May; 37(5): 653-657
- Measuring individual-level needle and syringe coverage among people who inject drugs in Myanmar.
O'Keefe D, Aung SM, Pasricha N, Wun T, Linn SK, Lin N, Aitken C, Hughes C, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2018 May; 58:22-30
- The association between intentional overdose and same-sex sexual intercourse in a cohort of people who inject drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
O'Keefe D, Bowring A, Aitken C, Dietze P
Subst Use Misuse. 2018 Feb; 53(5):755-762
- Assessing individual-level needle and syringe coverage parameters and the measurement of coverage in Melbourne, Australia: methods and impacts.
O'Keefe D, Scott N, Aitken C, Dietze P
J Public Health. 2018 Jan; 40(3):e336-e342
- Injecting drug use in low and middle income countries: opportunities to improve care and prevent harm.
O'Keefe D, Stoové M, Doyle J, Dietze P, Hellard M.
J Viral Hepat. 2017 Jun; 24(9):714-724
- How does the use of multiple needles/syringes per injecting episode impact on the measurement of individual level needle and syringe program coverage?
O'Keefe D, McCormack A, Cogger S, Aitken C, Burns L, Bruno R, Stafford J, Butler K, Breen C, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2017 May; 46:96-106
- Longitudinal analysis of change in individual-level needle and syringe coverage amongst a cohort of people who inject drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
O'Keefe D, Scott N, Aitken C, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2017 Apr; 176:7-13