Alex is currently working with the Modelling and Biostatistics group to build a health economic model for driving investment in global adolescent health. This work is part of a Centres of Research Excellence (CRE) partnership with the Murdoch Children’s Research Institute (MCRI) and other partners. Alex additionally supports a range of programs in the Disease Elimination program at Burnet Institute as an analyst, health modeller and data manager. He is also undertaking a Masters of Biostatistics with the Biostatistics Collaboration of Australia (BCA) through Monash University.
He has a keen interest in data driven and qualitative approaches to resolving health inequity in Australia.
In 2017, Alex moved to Victoria to undertake an honours in health sciences at Swinburne University focusing on systems and cognitive neuroscience. He received a first class honours for his work and contributed to further studies as a research assistant in the Brain and Psychological Sciences Centre.
Alex completed his Bachelor of Psychological Science in 2016 with Griffith University in Queensland, taking an interest in cognitive neuroscience and community mental health.
Throughout his career, Alex has worked in a range of community mental health and emergency relief organisations as a support worker.
- Community Support Worker, DIVRS, Preston
- Research Assistant, Swinburne University of Technology
- Rehabilitation Officer, Canefields Clubhouse, Logan, Queensland
- 2020: Masters of Biostatistics, BCA – Monash University (current)
- 2019: Masters of Public Health, Monash University (postponed)
- 2017-2018: First Class Honours in Health Science (B/Health Science (Hons)), Swinburne University
- 2013-2016: Bachelor of Psychological Sciences, Griffith University
Coping with COVID-19: Young people’s health and wellbeing in Australia
The Optimise Study: Optimising Isolation, Quarantine and Distancing for COVID-19
- Hepatitis C antibody testing among opioid agonist therapy recipients, Victoria, Australia, 2012 to 2020.
Dawe J, Wilkinson AL, Asselin J, Carter A, Pedrana A, Traeger MW, Thomas AJ, Curtis M, Cooper M, Howell J, Doyle JS, Hellard ME, Stoové M; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of blood borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections (ACCESS).
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Apr; 104:103696
- The Optimise Study: A rapid survey examining concerns about children returning to school in 2022. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Hellard M, Gibney K, Hill S, Merner B, Heath K, Altermatt A, Jin D, Young K, Thomas A, Nguyen T, Wilkinson A, Saich F
Optimise Study. 2022 Apr; Special Report(April):1-11
- The Optimise Study: Summer 2021-2022 Snapshot. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Hellard M, Gibney K, Stoové M, Young K, Altermatt A, Heath K, Thomas A, Nguyen T, Wilkinson A, Merner B, Hill S, Saich F, Jin D
Optimise Study. 2022 Apr; Special Report(Apr):1-20
- COVID-19 testing in schools and attitudes and concerns about the current state of the pandemic. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Heath K, Altermatt A, Thomas A, Nguyen T, Wilinson A, Merner B, Hill S, Fletcher-Lartey S, Gibbs L, Gibbs L, Shearer F, Stoové M, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Nov; Report 12(Nov):1-13
News Articles (4)