Professor Caroline Homer AO is the leading midwifery researcher in Australia and has an international reputation as a scholar and leader in maternal and newborn health care and service delivery. She obtained her PhD in 2001 and since then has led research and development projects in Australia and internationally especially in relation to health services delivery, reproductive, maternal and newborn care, human resources for health workforce development and midwifery education. She has more than 30 years of experience in the sector – as a clinician, educator, researcher and leader.
Listen to Professor Homer on Episode 6 of our How Science Matters podcast
- Chair: NHMRC Council (2021-2023), Member (2018-2021) Ministerial appointment.
- Deputy Chair, Australian Medical Research Advisory Committee (AMRAB) for the Medical Research Future Fund (2021-2023)
- Inaugural Chair, WHO’s Strategic and Technical Advisory Group of Experts (STAGE) for Maternal, Newborn, Child, Adolescent Health, and Nutrition (2020-2022) - appointed by the WHO Director General.
- Member: WHO’s Scientific and Technical Advisory Group (STAG) for the UNDP/UNFPA/UNICEF/WHO/World Bank Special Programme of Research, Development and Research Training in Human Reproduction (2020-2022).
- Co-Chair, Australian Commonwealth Department of Health and Ageing National Expert Advisory Executive, Development of National Pregnancy Guidelines (2008-current)
- 2018: Co-Program Director, Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health; Co-Head, Global Women’s and Newborn Health Working Group, Burnet Institute
Visiting Professorial roles
- University of Technology Sydney, Monash University, Deakin University and the University of Melbourne, Australia
- Cardiff University Wales, UK
- King’s College London, UK
- 2008: MMedSc (Clin Epi), University of Sydney, Australia
- 2001: PhD, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- 1997: MNurs, University of Technology Sydney, Australia
- 2022: Honorary Fellowship, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- 2019: Women’s Hospitals Australasia – Medal of Distinction
- 2017: Order of Australia in the Queen’s Birthday Awards
- 2013: Australian College of Midwives’ Inaugural Writing Prize named the Caroline Homer Writing Prize in acknowledgement of contribution to academic writing and publication on the midwifery profession.
- 2013: Awarded Life Membership of Australian College of Midwives (NSW Branch).
- 2012: UTS Alumni Award for Excellence 2012 - Faculty of Health.
- 2011: Winner: Researcher Development (including Supervision) Award. UTS Vice-Chancellor’s Awards for Research Excellence.
Antenatal and postnatal care remote contacts guidance
COVID-19 Journey Project
Evaluating the WHO Labour Care Guide in clinical settings
Experiences of receiving or providing maternity care during CoVID-19 pandemic: The CovMat Study
Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies
HMHB: Quality of Pregnancy, Childbirth and Newborn Health Services Study
Implementing the WHO Labour Care Guide to reduce the use of Caesarean section in four hospitals in India
Living guidelines in maternal and perinatal health
Mapping of COVID-19-related pregnancy and perinatal research in Australia
Midwifery Faculty Development Program
National COVID-19 Clinical Evidence Taskforce
Optimising Quarantine Study
Review of Midwifery Curricula Timor-Leste
SCOOP: Strengthening COVID-19 Communication in Pregnancy
Strengthen Emergency Obstetric Newborn Care (EmONC) training through a Master Train-the-Trainer Program
The Optimise Study: Optimising Isolation, Quarantine and Distancing for COVID-19
Transformative Agenda for Women, Adolescents and Youth in the Pacific: Family Life Education
Transformative Agenda for Women, Adolescents and Youth in the Pacific: Strengthening Health Management Information Systems
Transformative Agenda for Women, Adolescents and Youth in the Pacific: Strengthening Midwifery Education
VOICE - Victorian Online Initiative for Community Engagement
WHO recommendations on antenatal corticosteroids and tocolytics for improving preterm birth outcomes
- Quality newborn care in East New Britain, Papua New Guinea: measuring early newborn care practices and identifying opportunities for improvement.
Wilson AN, Melepia P, Suruka R, Hezeri P, Kabiu D, Babona D, Wapi P, Spotswood N, Bohren MA, Vogel JP, Kelly-Hanku A, Morgan A, Beeson JG, Morgan C, Vallely LM, Waramin EJ, Scoullar MJL, Homer CSE
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2022 Jun; 22(1):462
- Preferences of Australian healthcare providers regarding education on long-term health after hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: a qualitative study.
Roth H, Morcos V, Roberts LM, Hanley L, Homer CSE, Henry A
BMJ Open. 2022 May; 12(5):e055674
- "Never let a good crisis go to waste": Positives from disrupted maternity care in Australia during COVID-19.
Kluwgant D, Homer C, Dahlen H
Midwifery. 2022 Apr; 110:103340
- The United Kingdom and the Netherlands maternity care responses to COVID-19: A comparative study.
van den Berg LMM, Balaam MC, Nowland R, Moncrief G, Topalidou A, Thompson S, Thomson G, de Jonge A, Downe S; ASPIRE-COVID19 Research Team (Including Caroline Homer)
Women Birth. 2022 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Australian women's experiences of receiving maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic: A cross-sectional national survey.
Wilson AN, Sweet L, Vasilevski V, Hauck Y, Wynter K, Kuliukas L, Szabo RA, Homer CSE, Bradfield Z
Birth. 2022 Mar; 49(1):30-39
- Pregnancy in the time of COVID-19: what are the challenges for maternity care?
Hui L, Knight M, Edlow A, Homer C, Danchin M
Clin Chem. 2022 Mar; 68(3):385–391
- Partnership-defined quality approach to companionship during labour and birth in East New Britain, Papua New Guinea: A mixed-methods study
Wilson AN, Melepia P, Suruka R, Hezeri P, Kabiu D, Babona D, Wapi P, Bohren MA, Vogel JP, Kelly-Hanku A, Morgan A, Beeson JG, Morgan C, Spotswood N, Scoullar MJL, Vallely LM, Homer CSE
PLoS Glob Pub Health. 2022 Feb; 2(2):e0000102
- Indonesian midwives' perspectives on changes in the provision of maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic: A qualitative study.
Hazfiarini A, Zahroh RI, Akter S, Homer CSE, Bohren MA
Midwifery. 2022 Feb; 108:103291
- Inequalities in women's utilization of postnatal care services in Bangladesh from 2004 to 2017.
Aziz S, Basit A, Sultana S, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Sci Rep. 2022 Feb; 12(1):2747
- Depression, anxiety and posttraumatic stress disorder six months following preeclampsia and normotensive pregnancy: a P4 study.
Roberts L, Henry A, Harvey SB, Homer CSE, Davis GK
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2022 Feb; 22(1):108
- Access to, and experiences of, maternity care for women with physical disabilities: A scoping review.
Blair A, Cao J, Wilson A, Homer C
Midwifery. 2022 Feb; 107:103273
- Private provider incentives in health care: The case of caesarean births.
Yu S, Fiebig DG, Viney R, Scarf V, Homer C
Soc Sci Med. 2022 Jan; 294:114729
- 'We are going into battle without appropriate armour': A qualitative study of Indonesian midwives' experiences in providing maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Hazfiarini A, Akter S, Homer CSE, Zahroh RIR, Bohren MA
Women Birth. 2022 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Enhancing quality midwifery care in humanitarian and fragile settings: a systematic review of interventions, support systems and enabling environments.
Homer CS, Turkmani S, Wilson AN, Vogel JP, Shah MG, Fogstad H, Langlois EV
BMJ Glob Health. 2022 Jan; 7(1)
- Country or region of birth and hospital admission for mental disorders after birth: A study based on population data of New South Wales, Australia, 2003-2009.
Zhao Y, Zhao J, Xu F, Boyce P, Homer CSE
Asia Pac J Public Health. 2022 Jan; 34(2-3):255-257
- Outcomes to measure the effects of pharmacological interventions for pain management for women during labour and birth: A review of systematic reviews and randomised trials.
Tan A, Wilson AN, Eghrari D, Clark H, Tse WC, Bohren MA, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
BJOG. 2022 Jan; 129(6):845-854
- Midwifery continuity of care and vaginal birth after caesarean section: A randomised controlled trial.
Homer CSE, Davis DL, Mollart L, Turkmani S, Smith RM, Bullard M, Leiser B, Foureur M
Women Birth. 2022 Jan; 35(3):e294-e301
- Midwives' experiences of providing maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic in Australia.
Bradfield Z, Hauck Y, Homer CSE, Sweet L, Wilson AN, Szabo RA, Wynter K, Vasilevski V, Kuliukas L
Women Birth. 2022 Jan; 35(3):262-271
- Receiving maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic: Experiences of women's partners and support persons.
Vasilevski V, Sweet L, Bradfield Z, Wilson AN, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Homer CSE, Szabo RA, Wynter K
Women Birth. 2022 Jan; 35(3):298-306
- Childbearing women's experiences of the maternity care system in Australia during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sweet L, Wilson AN, Bradfield Z, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Homer CSE, Szabo RA, Wynter K, Vasilevski V
Women Birth. 2022 Jan; 35(3):223-231
- World Health Organization and knowledge translation in maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health and nutrition.
STAGE (Strategic Technical Advisory Group of Experts), Duke T, AlBuhairan FS, Agarwal K, Arora NK, Arulkumaran S, Bhutta ZA, Binka F, Castro A, Claeson M, Dao B, Darmstadt GL, English M, Jardali F, Merson M, Ferrand RA, Golden A, Golden MH, Homer C, Jehan F, Kabiru CW, Kirkwood B, Lawn JE, Li S, Patton GC, Ruel M, Sandall J, Sachdev HS, Tomlinson M, Waiswa P, Walker D, Zlotkin S
Arch Dis Child. 2022 Jan; 107(7):644-649
- Preliminary findings on the experiences of care for parents who suffered perinatal bereavement during the COVID-19 pandemic.
Silverio SA, Easter A, Storey C, Jurković D, Sandall J; PUDDLES Global Collaboration (including Homer CSE and Wilson AN)
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2021 Dec; 21(1):840
- Funding received from breastmilk substitute manufacturers and policy positions of national maternity care provider associations: an online cross-sectional review
Qassin S, Homer CSE, Wilson AN
BMJ Open. 2021 Dec; 11(12):e050179
- The State of the World's Midwifery 2021 report: findings to drive global policy and practice.
Andrea Nove, Petra Ten Hoope-Bender, Martin Boyce, Sarah Bar-Zeev, Luc de Bernis, Geeta Lal, Zoe Matthews, Million Mekuria, Caroline S E Homer
Hum Resour Health. 2021 Nov; 19(1):146
- COVID-19 vaccination perceptions and intentions of maternity care consumers and providers in Australia.
Bradfield Z, Wynter K, Hauck Y, Sweet L, Wilson AN, Szabo RA, Vasilevski V, Kuliukas L, Homer CSE
PLoS One. 2021 Nov; 16(11):e0260049
- The Optimise Study: Information access and communication about COVID-19. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Kwong E, Heath K, Altermatt A, Munari S, Merner B, Hill S, Stoové M, Wilson A, Caddy C, Lim M, Vogel J, Power R, Coghlan B, Cheong M, Bradfield Z, Homer C, Pedrana A, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Sep; Report 10:1-13
- Advocating for midwives in low-to-middle income countries in the COVID-19 pandemic.
Adnani QES, O'Connell MA, Homer CSE
Women Birth. 2021 Aug; 34(6):501-502
- Modelling the cost of place of birth: a pathway analysis.
Scarf VL, Yu S, Viney R, Cheah SL, Dahlen H, Sibbritt D, Thornton C, Tracy S, Homer C
BMC Health Serv Res. 2021 Aug; 21(1):816
- Point-of-care testing and treatment of sexually transmitted and genital infections during pregnancy in Papua New Guinea (WANTAIM trial): protocol for an economic evaluation alongside a cluster-randomised trial.
Batura N, Saweri OP, Vallely A, Pomat W, Homer C, Guy R, Luchters S, Mola G, Vallely LM, Morgan C, Kariwiga G, Wand H, Rogerson S, Tabrizi SN, Whiley DM, Low N, Peeling RW, Siba PM, Riddell M, Laman M, Bolnga J, Robinson LJ, Morewaya J, Badman S, Kelly-Hanku A, Toliman PJ, Peter W, Peach E, Garland S, Kaldor J, Wiseman V
BMJ Open. 2021 Aug; 11(8):e046308
- Group Pregnancy Care for refugee background women: a codesigned, multimethod evaluation protocol applying a community engagement framework and an interrupted time series design.
Riggs E, Yelland J, Mensah FK, Gold L, Szwarc J, Kaplan I, Small R, Middleton P, Krastev A, McDonald E, East C, Homer C, Nesvadba N, Biggs L, Braithwaite J, Brown SJ
BMJ Open. 2021 Jul; 11(7):e048271
- Defining Preterm Birth and Stillbirth in the Western Pacific: A Systematic Review.
Connolly M, Phung L, Farrington E, Scoullar MJL, Wilson AN, Comrie-Thomson L, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Asia Pac J Public Health. 2021 Jun; 33(5):489-501
- Early neonatal death review from two provinces in Papua New Guinea: A retrospective analysis.
Vallely LM, Smith R, Bolnga JW, Babona D, Riddell MA, Mengi A, Au L, Polomon C, Vogel JP, Pomat WS, Vallely AJ, Homer CS
J Paediatr Child Health. 2021 Jun; 57(6):841-846
- Cross Cultural Workers for women and families from migrant and refugee backgrounds: a mixed-methods study of service providers perceptions.
Rogers HJ, Hogan L, Coates D, Homer CSE, Henry A
BMC Womens Health. 2021 May; 21(1):222
- The prevalence of uterine fundal pressure during the second stage of labour for women giving birth in health facilities: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Farrington E, Connolly M, Phung L, Wilson AN, Comrie-Thomson L, Bohren MA, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Reprod Health. 2021 May; 18(1):98
- Intravenous oxytocin dosing regimens for postpartum hemorrhage prevention at cesarean section: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Phung LC, Farrington EK, Connolly M, Wilson AN, Carvalho B, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2021 May; 225(3):250-263
- Editorial: Outcome reporting in midwifery research.
Matvienko-Sikar, K Homer C
Women Birth. 2021 May; 34(3):203-205
- Baby Buddy App for Breastfeeding and Behavior Change: Retrospective Study of the App Using the Behavior Change Wheel.
Musgrave LM, Baum A, Perera N, Homer CS, Gordon A
JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2021 Apr; 9(4):e25668
- Rethinking the use of 'vulnerable'.
Munari SC, Wilson AN, Blow NJ, Homer CSE, Ward JE
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2021 Apr; 45(3):197-199
- Experiences of receiving and providing maternity care during the COVID-19 pandemic in Australia: A five-cohort cross-sectional comparison.
Bradfield Z, Wynter K, Hauck Y, Vasilevski V, Kuliukas L, Wilson AN, Szabo RA, Homer CSE, Sweet L
PLoS One. 2021 Mar; 16(3):e0248488
- Becoming a mother in the 'new' social world in Australia during the first wave of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Sweet L, Bradfield Z, Vasilevski V, Wynter K, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Homer CSE, Szabo RA, Wilson AN
Midwifery. 2021 Mar; 98:102996
- WHO next generation partograph: revolutionary steps towards individualised labour care.
Hofmeyr GJ, Bernitz S, Bonet M, Bucagu M, Dao B, Downe S, Galadanci H, Homer CSE, Hundley V, Lavender T, Levy B, Lissauer D, Lumbiganon P, McConville FE, Pattinson R, Qureshi Z, Souza JP, Stanton ME, Ten Hoope-Bender P, Vannevel V, Vogel JP, Oladapo OT
BJOG. 2021 Mar; 128(10):1658-1662
- The cost-effectiveness of tranexamic acid for treatment of postpartum hemorrhage: A systematic review.
Aziz S, Rossiter S, Homer CSE, Wilson AN, Comrie-Thomson L, Scott N, Vogel JP
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2021 Feb; 155(3):331-341
- A cross sectional study of midwifery students' experiences of COVID-19: Uncertainty and expendability.
Kuliukas L, Hauck Y, Sweet L, Vasilevski V, Homer C, Wynter K, Wilson A, Szabo R, Bradfield Z
Nurse Educ Pract. 2021 Feb; 51:102988
- Covid-19 changes to maternity care: Experiences of Australian doctors.
Szabo RA, Wilson AN, Homer C, Vasilevski V, Sweet L, Wynter K, Hauck Y, Kuliukas L, Bradfield Z
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2021 Feb; 61(3):408-415
- Understanding workforce experiences in the early career period of Australian midwives: insights into factors which strengthen job satisfaction.
Sheehy DA, Smith MR, Gray PJ, Homer C
Midwifery. 2021 Feb; 93:102880
- The impact of planning for COVID-19 on private practising midwives in Australia.
Homer CSE, Davies-Tuck M, Dahlen HG, Scarf VL
Women Birth. 2021 Feb; 34(1):e32-e37
- Preventing post-partum haemorrhage at home during COVID-19: what are we waiting for?
Hobday K, Prata N, Hulme J, Homer CS
Lancet Glob Health. 2021 Jan; 9(3):e245-e246
- Baby Buddy app evaluation-effective uplift in breast feeding despite unclear mechanism.
Blair M, Downe S, Gordon A, Musgrave L, Homer C, Etherington C
mHealth. 2021 Jan; 7:16
- Potential impact of midwives in preventing and reducing maternal and neonatal mortality and stillbirths: a Lives Saved Tool modelling study.
Nove A, Friberg IK, de Bernis L, McConville F, Moran AC, Najjemba M, Ten Hoope-Bender P, Tracy S, Homer CSE
Lancet Glob Health. 2021 Jan; 9(1):e24-e32
- Perinatal death audit and classification of stillbirths in two provinces in Papua New Guinea: a retrospective analysis.
Vallely LM, Smith R, Bolnga JW, Babona D, Riddell MA, Mengi A, Au L, Polomon C, Vogel JP, Pomat WS, Vallely AJ, Homer CS
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2021 Jan; 153(1):160-168
- Usability, acceptability, and feasibility of the World Health Organization Labour Care Guide: A mixed-methods, multicountry evaluation.
Vogel JP, Comrie-Thomson L, Pingray V, Gadama L, Galadanci H, Goudar S, Laisser R, Lavender T, Lissauer D, Misra S, Pujar Y, Qureshi ZP, Amole T, Berrueta M, Dankishiya F, Gwako G, Homer CSE, Jobanputra J, Meja S, Nigri C, Mohaptra V, Osoti A, Roberti J, Solomon D, Suleiman M, Robbers G, Sutherland S, Vernekar S, Althabe F, Bonet M, Oladapo OT
Birth. 2021 Jan; 48(1):66-75
- Pregnant women voice their concerns and birth expectations during the COVID-19 pandemic in Italy.
Ravaldi C, Wilson A, Ricca V, Homer C, Vannacci A
Women Birth. 2021 Jan; 34(4):335-343
- Clinical guidelines for caring for women with COVID-19 during pregnancy, childbirth and the immediate postpartum period.
Pavlidis P, Eddy K, Phung L, Farrington E, Connolly M, Lopes R, Wilson AN, Homer CSE, Vogel JP
Women Birth. 2021 Jan; 34(5):455-464
- Counting stillbirths and COVID 19-there has never been a more urgent time.
Homer CSE, Leisher SH, Aggarwal N, Akuze J, Babona D, Blencowe H, Bolgna J, Chawana R, Christou A, Davies-Tuck M, Dandona R, Gordijn S, Gordon A, Jan R, Korteweg F, Maswime S, Murphy MM, Quigley P, Storey C, Vallely LM, Waiswa P, Whitehead C, Zeitlin J, Flenady V
Lancet Glob Health. 2021 Jan; 9(1):e10-e11
- Caring for the carers: Ensuring the provision of quality maternity care during a global pandemic.
Wilson AN, Ravaldi C, Scoullar MJL, Vogel JP, Szabo RA, Fisher JRW, Homer CSE
Women Birth. 2021 Jan; 34(3):206-209
- Assessing Australian women's knowledge and knowledge preferences about long-term health after hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: a survey study.
Roth H, Homer CSE, LeMarquand G, Roberts LM, Hanley L, Brown M, Henry A
BMJ Open. 2020 Dec; 10(12):e042920
- Assessing the quality of antenatal corticosteroids in low- and middle-income countries: A systematic review.
Mosoro E, Wilson AN, Homer CSE, Vogel J
PLoS One. 2020 Dec; 15(12):e0243034
- The role of midwifery and other international insights for maternity care in the United States: An analysis of four countries.
Kennedy HP, Balaam MC, Dahlen H, Declercq E, de Jonge A, Downe S, Ellwood D, Homer CSE, Sandall J, Vedam S, Wolfe I
Birth. 2020 Dec; 47(4):332-345
- Covid-19 Global Trends and Analysis - Global Epidemiology and Global Snapshots (Public Health Report)
Toole M, Homer C, Umali S, Majumdar S
Know-C19 Burnet Institute. 2020 Dec; Update 2(December):1-15
- Clinical care of pregnant and postpartum women with COVID-19: Living recommendations from the National COVID-19 Clinical Evidence Taskforce.
Vogel JP, Tendal B, Giles M, Whitehead C, Burton W, Chakraborty S, Cheyne S, Downton T, Fraile Navarro D, Gleeson G, Gordon A, Hunt J, Kitschke J, McDonald S, McDonnell N, Middleton P, Millard T, Murano M, Oats J, Tate R, White H, Elliott J, Roach V, Homer CSE; National COVID-19 Clinical Evidence Taskforce
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2020 Dec; 60(6):840-851
- Assessing knowledge of healthcare providers concerning cardiovascular risk after hypertensive disorders of pregnancy: an Australian national survey.
Roth H, Homer CSE, Arnott C, Roberts L, Brown M, Henry A
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2020 Nov; 20(1):717
- Previous psychopathology predicted severe COVID-19 concern, anxiety, and PTSD symptoms in pregnant women during "lockdown" in Italy.
Ravaldi C, Ricca V, Wilson A, Homer C, Vannacci A
Arch Womens Ment Health. 2020 Nov; 23 :783-786
- Mobile Phone Apps in Australia for Improving Pregnancy Outcomes: Systematic Search on App Stores.
Musgrave LM, Kizirian NV, Homer CSE, Gordon A
JMIR mHealth uHealth. 2020 Nov; 8(11):e22340
- Ending malnutrition in all its forms requires scaling up proven nutrition interventions and much more: a 129-country analysis.
Scott N, Delport D, Hainsworth S, Pearson R, Morgan C, Huang S, Akuoku JK, Piwoz E, Shekar M, Levin C, Toole M, Homer CS
BMC Med. 2020 Nov; 18(1):356
- Implementation and evaluation of a quality improvement initiative to reduce late gestation stillbirths in Australia: Safer Baby Bundle study protocol.
Andrews CJ, Ellwood D, Middleton PF, Gordon A, Nicholl M, Homer CSE, Morris J, Gardener G, Coory M, Davies-Tuck M, Boyle FM, Callander E, Bauman A, Flenady VJ; Safer Baby Bundle collaborators.
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2020 Nov; 20(1):694
- Editorial: Addressing stillbirth in Australia: A national initiative.
Women Birth. 2020 Nov; 33(6):505
- Stillbirth in Australia 1: The road to now: Two decades of stillbirth research and advocacy in Australia.
Flenady VJ, Middleton P, Wallace EM, Morris J, Gordon A, Boyle FM, Homer CS, Henry S, Brezler L, Wojcieszek AM, Davies-Tuck M, Coory M, Callander E, Kumar S, Clifton V, Leisher SH, Blencowe H, Forbes M, Sexton J, Ellwood DA
Women Birth. 2020 Nov; 33(6):506-513
- Stillbirth in Australia 5: Making respectful care after stillbirth a reality: The quest for parent-centred care.
Boyle FM, Horey D, Dean JH, Loughnan S, Ludski K, Mead J, Homer CS, de Wilde D, Morris J, Flenady VJ
Women Birth. 2020 Nov; 33(6):531-536
- Stillbirth in Australia 2: Working together to reduce stillbirth in Australia: The Safer Baby Bundle initiative.
Andrews CJ, Ellwood DA, Gordon A, Middleton P, Homer CSE, Wallace EM, Nicholl MC, Marr C, Sketcher-Baker K, Weller M, Seeho SKM, Flenady VJ; Safer Baby Bundle collaborators.
Women Birth. 2020 Nov; 33(6):514-519
- A unified call to action from Australian Nursing and Midwifery leaders: ensuring that Black Lives Matter.
Geia L, Baird K, Bail K, Barclay L, Bennett J, Best O, Birks M, Blackley L, Blackman R, Bonner A, Bryant Ao R, Buzzacott C, Campbell S, Catling C, Chamberlain C, Cox L, Cross W, Cruickshank M, Cummins A, Dahlen H, Daly J, Darbyshire P, Davidson P, Denny-Wilson E, De Souza R, Doyle K, Drummond A, Duff J, Duffield C, Dunning T, East L, Elliott D, Elmir R, Fergie D, Ferguson C, Fernandez R, Flower Am D, Foureur M, Fowler C, Fry M, Gorman E, Grant J, Gray J, Halcomb E, Hart B, Hartz D, Hazelton M, Heaton L, Hickman L, Homer C, Hungerford C, Hutton A, Jackson Ao D, Johnson A, Kelly M, Kitson A, Knight S, Levett-Jones T, Lindsay D, Lovett R, Luck L, Malloy L, Manias E, Mannix J, Marriott Am R, Martin M, Massey D, McCloughen A, McGough S, McGrath L, Mills J, Mitchell B, Mohamed J, Montayre J, Moroney T, Moyle W, Moxham L, Northam Am H, Nowlan S, O'Brien T, Ogunsiji O, Patterson C, Pennington K, Peters K, Phillips J, Power T, Procter N, Ramjan L, Ramsay N, Rasmussen B, Rihari-Thomas J, Rind B, Robinson M, Roche M, Sainsbury K, Salamonson Y, Sherwood J, Shields L, Sim J, Skinner I, Smallwood G, Smallwood R, Stewart L, Taylor S, Usher Am K, Virdun C, Wannell J, Ward R, West C, West R, Wilkes L, Williams R, Wilson R, Wynaden D, Wynn R
Contemp Nurse. 2020 Sep; 56(4):297-308
- Blood pressure postpartum (BP(2)) RCT protocol: Follow-up and lifestyle behaviour change strategies in the first 12 months after hypertensive pregnancy.
Henry A, Arnott C, Makris A, Davis G, Hennessy A, Beech A, Pettit F, Homer CS, Craig ME, Roberts L, Hyett J, Chambers G, Fitzgerald O, Gow M, Mann L, Challis D, Gale M, Ruhotas A, Kirwin E, Denney-Wilson E, Brown M
Pregnancy Hypertens. 2020 Jul; 22:1-6
- Wilson and Homer reply to Papadakis.
Wilson AN, Homer CSE
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2020 Jun; 60(3):E7
- Seeing birth in a new light: The transformational effect of exposure to homebirth for hospital-based midwives.
Coddington R, Catling C, Homer C
Midwifery. 2020 May; 88:102755
- A core outcome set for pre-eclampsia research: An international consensus development study.
Duffy JMN, Cairns AE, Richards-Doran D, van 't Hooft J, Gale C, Brown M, Chappell LC, Grobman WA, Fitzpatrick R, Karumanchi SA, Khalil A, Lucas DN, Magee LA, Mol BW, Stark M, Thangaratinam S, Wilson MJ, von Dadelszen P, Williamson PR, Ziebland S, McManus RJ; International Collaboration to Harmonise Outcomes for Pre-eclampsia (iHOPE). including CSE Homer as Collaborator
BJOG. 2020 May; 127(12):1516-1526
- What would Florence think of midwives and nurses in 2020?
Homer C, Bucknall T, Farrell T
Women Birth. 2020 May; 33(5):409-410
- Misoprostol for the prevention of post-partum haemorrhage in Mozambique: an analysis of the interface between human rights, maternal health and development.
Hobday K, Zwi AB, Homer C, Kirkham R, Hulme J, Wate PZ, Prata N
BMC Int Health Hum Rights. 2020 Apr; 20(1):9
- Midwives in a pandemic: A call for solidarity and compassion.
O'Connell M, Crowther S, Ravaldi C, Homer C
Women Birth. 2020 Mar; 33(3):205-206
- Editorial: Words matter; language matters.
Homer C, Wilson A, Davis D
Women Birth. 2020 Mar; 33(2):105-106
- The cost of vaginal birth at home, in a birth centre or in a hospital setting in New South Wales: A micro-costing study.
Scarf VL, Yu S, Viney R, Lavis L, Dahlen H, Foureur M, Homer C
Women Birth. 2020 Mar; 33(3):286-293
- Survey of Australian maternity hospitals to inform development and implementation of a stillbirth prevention 'bundle of care'.
Andrews CJ, Ellwood D, Middleton PF, Homer CSE, Reinebrant HE, Donnolley N, Boyle FM, Gordon A, Nicholl M, Morris J, Gardener G, Davies-Tuck M, Wallace EM, Flenady VJ
Women Birth. 2020 Mar; 33(3):251-258
- Induction of labour indications and timing: A systematic analysis of clinical guidelines.
Coates D, Homer C, Wilson A, Deady L, Mason E, Foureur M, Henry A
Women Birth. 2020 Mar; 33(3):219-230
- Recognising the challenges of providing care for Thai pregnant adolescents: Healthcare professionals' views.
Jittitaworn W, Fox D, Catling C, Homer CSE
Women Birth. 2020 Mar; 33(2):e192-e190
- Understanding the Experiences and Needs of Migrant Women Affected by Female Genital Mutilation Using Maternity Services in Australia.
Turkmani S, Homer CSE, Dawson AJ
Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2020 Feb; 17(5):E1491
- Third- and fourth-degree tears: A review of the current evidence for prevention and management.
Wilson AN, Homer CSE
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2020 Feb; 60(2):175-182
- The provision of midwife-led care in low-and middle-income countries: An integrative review.
Michel-Schuldt M, McFadden A, Renfrew M, Homer C
Midwifery. 2020 Feb; 84:102659
- 2020 is the International Year of the Midwife: Announcing a special issue.
Women Birth. 2020 Feb; 33(1):1-2
- Indications for, and timing of, planned caesarean section: A systematic analysis of clinical guidelines.
Coates D, Homer C, Wilson A, Deady L, Mason E, Foureur M, Henry A
Women Birth. 2020 Feb; 33(1):22-34
- The future in their hands: Graduating student midwives' plans, job satisfaction and the desire to work in midwifery continuity of care.
Evans J, Taylor J, Browne J, Ferguson S, Atchan M, Maher P, Homer CS, Davis D
Women Birth. 2020 Feb; 33(1):e59-e66
- Responding to the health needs of women from migrant and refugee backgrounds-Models of maternity and postpartum care in high-income countries: A systematic scoping review.
Rogers HJ, Hogan L, Coates D, Homer CSE, Henry A
Health Soc Care Community. 2020 Jan; 28(5):1343-1365
- Eclampsia in Australia and New Zealand: A prospective population-based study.
Pollock W, Peek MJ, Wang A, Li Z, Ellwood D, Homer CSE, Jackson Pulver L, McLintock C, Vaughan G, Knight M, Sullivan EA
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2020 Jan; 60(4):533-540
- Mapping the trajectories for women and their babies from births planned at home, in a birth centre or in a hospital in New South Wales, Australia, between 2000 and 2012.
Vanessa L Scarf, Rosalie Viney, Serena Yu, Maralyn Foureur, Chris Rossiter, Hannah Dahlen, Charlene Thornton, Seong Leang Cheah, Caroline S E Homer
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2019 Dec; 19(1):513
- Maternal and newborn health indicators in Papua New Guinea - 2008-2018.
Robbers G, Vogel JP, Mola G, Bolgna J, Homer CSE
Sex Reprod Health Matters. 2019 Dec; 27(1):1686199
- Assessing Knowledge Gaps of Women and Healthcare Providers Concerning Cardiovascular Risk After Hypertensive Disorders of Pregnancy-A Scoping Review.
Roth H, LeMarquand G, Henry A, Homer C
Front Cardiovasc Med. 2019 Nov; 6:178
- Maternal and perinatal outcomes by planned place of birth in Australia 2000 - 2012: a linked population data study.
Homer CSE, Cheah SL, Rossiter C, Dahlen HG, Ellwood D, Foureur MJ, Forster DA, McLachlan HL, Oats JJN, Sibbritt D, Thornton C, Scarf VL
BMJ Open. 2019 Oct; 9(10):e029192
- Point-of-care testing and treatment of sexually transmitted infections to improve birth outcomes in high-burden, low-income settings: Study protocol for a cluster randomized crossover trial (the WANTAIM Trial, Papua New Guinea)
Vallely AJ, William S. Pomat WS, Homer C, Guy R, Luchters S, Mola GDL, Kariwiga G, Vallely LM, Wiseman V, Morgan C, Wand H, Rogerson SJ, Tabrizi SN, Whiley DM, Low N, Peeling R, Siba P, Riddell M, Laman M, Bolnga J, Robinson LJ, Morewaya J, Badman SG, Batura N, Kelly-Hanku A, Toliman PJ, Peter W, Babona D, Peach E, Garland SM, Kaldor JM
Well Open Res. 2019 May; 4:53
- Addressing preconception behaviour change through mobile phone apps: a protocol for a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Musgrave LM, Homer CSE, Kizirian NV, Gordon A
Syst Rev. 2019 Apr; 8(1):86
- The experience of vasa praevia for Australian midwives: A qualitative study.
Nasrin Javid, Jon A Hyett, Caroline S E Homer
Women Birth. 2019 Apr; 32(2):185-192
- A review of midwifery in mainland China: Contemporary developments within historical, economic and sociopolitical contexts.
Ling-Ling Gao, Hong Lu, Nicky Leap, Caroline Homer
Women Birth. 2019 Apr; 32(2):e279-e283
- Scaling Up Misoprostol to Prevent Postpartum Hemorrhage at Home Births in Mozambique: A Case Study Applying the ExpandNet/WHO Framework.
Hobday K, Hulme J, Prata N, Wate PZ, Belton S, Homer C
Glob Health Sci Pract. 2019 Mar; 7(1):66-86
- Creating the first national linked dataset on perinatal and maternal outcomes in Australia: Methods and challenges.
Cheah SL, Scarf VL, Rossiter C, Thornton C, Homer CSE
J Biomed Inform. 2019 Mar; 93:103152
- A survey of opinion and practice regarding prenatal diagnosis of vasa previa among obstetricians from Australia and New Zealand.
Nasrin Javid, Jonathan A Hyett, Susan P Walker, Elizabeth A Sullivan, Caroline S E Homer
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Mar; 144(3):252-259
- Obstetric anal sphincter injuries among women with gestational diabetes and women without gestational diabetes: A NSW population-based cohort study.
Reem Zeki, Zhuoyang Li, Alex Y Wang, Caroline S E Homer, Jeremy J N Oats, Drew Marshall, Elizabeth A Sullivan
Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2019 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Women's knowledge of maternal danger signs during pregnancy: Findings from a cross-sectional survey in Papua New Guinea.
Vallely LM, Emori R, Gouda H, Phuanukoonnon S, Homer C, Vallely AJ
Midwifery. 2019 Feb; 72:7-13
- Implementation of midwifery continuity of care models for Indigenous women in Australia: Perspectives and reflections for the United Kingdom.
Fernandez Turienzo C, Roe Y, Rayment-Jones H, Kennedy A, Forster D, Homer C, McLachlan H, Sandall J
Midwifery. 2019 Feb; 69:110-112
- Beyond the headlines: Fetal movement awareness is an important stillbirth prevention strategy.
Flenady V, Ellwood D, Bradford B, Coory M, Middleton P, Gardener G, Radestad I, Homer C, Davies-Tuck M, Forster D, Gordon A, Groom K, Crowther C, Walker S, Foord C, Warland J, Murphy M, Said J, Boyle F, O'Donoghue K, Cronin R, Sexton J, Weller M, McCowan L
Women Birth. 2019 Jan; 32(1):1-2
- Core outcome sets for prevention and treatment of postpartum haemorrhage: an international Delphi consensus study.
S Meher, A Cuthbert, J J Kirkham, P Williamson, E Abalos, N Aflaifel, Z A Bhutta, A Bishop, J Blum, P Collins, D Devane, A-S Ducloy-Bouthors, B Fawole, A M Gulmezoglu, K Gutteridge, G Gyte, Cse Homer, S Mallaiah, J M Smith, A D Weeks, Z Alfirevic
BJOG. 2019 Jan; 126(1):83-93
- Getting evidence into practice - Managing hares and tortoises.
Women Birth. 2018 Dec; 31(6):431-432
- Adverse pregnancy and neonatal outcomes associated with Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Mycoplasma genitalium, M. hominis, Ureaplasma urealyticum and U. parvum: a systematic review and meta-analysis protocol.
Vallely LM, Egli-Gany D, Pomat W, Homer CS, Guy R, Wand H, Silver B, Rumbold AR, Kaldor JM, Low N, Vallely AJ
BMJ Open. 2018 Nov; 8(11):e024175
- Updated clinical practice guidelines on pregnancy care.
Homer CS, Oats J, Middleton P, Ramson J, Diplock S
Med J Aust. 2018 Nov; 209(9):409-412
- Birthplace in Australia: Antenatal preparation for the possibility of transfer from planned home birth.
Deborah Fox, Athena Sheehan, Caroline Se Homer
Midwifery. 2018 Nov; 66:134-140
- "My job is to get pregnant women to the hospital": a qualitative study of the role of traditional birth attendants in the distribution of misoprostol to prevent post-partum haemorrhage in two provinces in Mozambique.
Hobday K, Hulme J, Homer C, Zualo Wate P, Belton S, Prata N
Reprod Health. 2018 Oct; 15(1):174
- Short-term and long-term effects of caesarean section on the health of women and children.
Sandall J, Tribe RM, Avery L, Mola G, Visser GH, Homer CS, Gibbons D, Kelly NM, Kennedy HP, Kidanto H, Taylor P, Temmerman M
Lancet. 2018 Oct; 392(10155):1349-1357
- Enabling new graduate midwives to work in midwifery continuity of care models: A conceptual model for implementation.
Allison M Cummins, Christine Catling, Caroline S E Homer
Women Birth. 2018 Oct; 31(5):343-349
- Multiple morbidities in pregnancy: Time for research, innovation, and action.
Beeson JG, Homer CSE, Morgan C, Menendez C
PLoS Med. 2018 Sep; 15(9):e1002665
- Asking different questions: A call to action for research to improve the quality of care for every woman, every child. (Longer Version)
Holly P Kennedy, Melissa Cheyney, Hannah G Dahlen, Soo Downe, Maralyn J Foureur, Caroline S E Homer, Elaine Jefford, Alison McFadden, Michaela Michel-Schuldt, Jane Sandall, Hora Soltani, Anna M Speciale, Jennifer Stevens, Saraswathi Vedam, Mary J Renfrew
Birth. 2018 Sep; 45(3):222-231
- Why ARRIVE should not thrive in Australia.
Davies-Tuck M, Wallace EM, Homer CSE
Women Birth. 2018 Aug; 31(5):339-340
- Asking different questions: A call to action for research to improve the quality of care for every woman, every child.
Kennedy HP, Cheyney M, Dahlen HG, Downe S, Foureur MJ, Homer CSE, Jefford E, McFadden A, Michel-Schuldt M, Sandall J, Soltani H, Speciale AM, Sevens J, Vedam S, Renfrew MJ.
Women Birth. 2018 Aug; 31(4):242-243
- Woman and Birth (June 2018).
Caroline S E Homer
Women Birth. 2018 Aug; 31(4):241
- Community-based misoprostol for the prevention of post-partum haemorrhage: A narrative review of the evidence base, challenges and scale-up.
Hobday K, Hulme J, Belton S, Homer CS, Prata N
Glob Public Health. 2018 Aug; 13(8):1081-1097
- Anaemia and depression before and after birth: a cohort study based on linked population data.
Fenglian Xu, Lynette Roberts, Colin Binns, Elizabeth Sullivan, Caroline S E Homer
BMC Psychiatry. 2018 Jul; 18(1):224
- Midwifery pre-registration education and mid-career workforce participation and experiences.
Annabel Sheehy, Rachel M Smith, Joanne E Gray, Caroline S E Homer
Women Birth. 2018 Jul; Epub ahead of print
- Maternal and perinatal outcomes by planned place of birth among women with low-risk pregnancies in high-income countries: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Vanessa L Scarf, Chris Rossiter, Saraswathi Vedam, Hannah G Dahlen, David Ellwood, Della Forster, Maralyn J Foureur, Helen McLachlan, Jeremy Oats, David Sibbritt, Charlene Thornton, Caroline S E Homer
Midwifery. 2018 Jul; 62:240-255
- Maternity care experiences and health needs of migrant women from female genital mutilation-practicing countries in high-income contexts: A systematic review and meta-synthesis.
Sabera Turkmani, Caroline S E Homer, Angela Dawson
Birth. 2018 Jun; 46(1):3-14
- The implementation of the free maternal health policy in rural Northern Ghana: synthesised results and lessons learnt.
Philip Ayizem Dalinjong, Alex Y Wang, Caroline S E Homer
BMC Res Notes. 2018 May; 11(1):341
- Cesarean section and diabetes during pregnancy: An NSW population study using the Robson classification.
Reem Zeki, Jeremy J N Oats, Alex Y Wang, Zhuoyang Li, Caroline S E Homer, Elizabeth A Sullivan
J Obstet Gynaecol Res. 2018 May; 44(5):890-898
- Barriers to and strategies for addressing the availability, accessibility, acceptability and quality of the sexual, reproductive, maternal, newborn and adolescent health workforce: addressing the post-2015 agenda.
Caroline S E Homer, Sofia Castro Lopes, Andrea Nove, Michaela Michel-Schuldt, Frances McConville, Nester T Moyo, Martha Bokosi, Petra Ten Hoope-Bender
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018 Feb; 18(1):55
- Has the free maternal health policy eliminated out of pocket payments for maternal health services? Views of women, health providers and insurance managers in Northern Ghana.
Philip Ayizem Dalinjong, Alex Y Wang, Caroline S E Homer
PLoS One. 2018 Feb; 13(2):e0184830
News Articles (41)