Sophia completed a Master of Public Health at Lund University in Sweden in 2017. For her thesis project she joined Burnet Institute and conducted a qualitative study of risk perceptions and attitudes towards hepatitis C reinfection among HIV-diagnosed gay and bisexual men recently cured from hepatitis C.
She now works at Burnet Institute as a research assistant across multiple projects. Sophia has a particular interest in qualitative research seeking to understand and address barriers to wellbeing among disadvantaged and high-risk populations, including prisoners and ex-prisoners, people who use drugs, gay and bisexual men, and young people.
- 2015: Bachelor of Arts in Peace and Conflict Studies, Malmö University, Sweden
- 2017: Master of Science (Public Health), Lund University, Sweden
- Constructing a 'target population': A critical analysis of public health discourse on substance use among gay and bisexual men, 2000-2020.
Schroeder SE, Bourne A, Doyle JS, Hellard ME, Stoové M, Pedrana A
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Jul; 108:103808
- "It's not just the hit itself": the social practice of injecting drug use among gay and bisexual men in Australia.
Schroeder SE, Bourne A, Doyle J, Stoove M, Hellard M, Pedrana A
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Mar; 103:103642
- "It's a revolving door": Ego-depletion among prisoners with injecting drug use histories as a barrier to post-release success.
Schroeder SE, Drysdale K, Lafferty L, Baldry E, Marshall AD, Higgs P, Dietze P, Stoové M, Treloar C
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Jan; 101:103571
- Health service utilisation and experiences of stigma among people who inject drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Djordjevic F, Ryan K, Gunn J, Brener L, O'Keefe D, Draper B, Schroeder S, Gold J, Treloar C, Broady T, Dietze P, Hellard M, Pedrana A
J Viral Hepat. 2021 Sep; 28(12):1738-1743
- Structural competency in the post-prison period for people who inject drugs: A qualitative case study.
Treloar C, Schroeder S, Lafferty L, Marshall A, Drysdale K, Higgs P, Baldry E, Stoove M, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2021 May; 95:103261
- A global investment framework for the elimination of hepatitis B.
Howell J, Pedrana A, Schroeder SE, Scott N, Aufegger L, Atun R, Baptista-Leite R, Hirnschal G, Hoen E', Hutchinson SJ, Lazarus JV, Olufunmilayo L, Peck R, Sharma M, Sohn AH, Thompson A, Thursz M, Wilson D, Hellard M
J Hepatol. 2021 Mar; 74(3):535-549
- Authors' response to Letter to the Editor: "Colombian experience in the management of hepatitis C".
Schroeder S, Pedrana A, Scott N, Hellard M
Liver Int. 2020 Sep; 40(12):3142-3143
- Global hepatitis C elimination: an investment framework.
Pedrana A, Howell J, Scott N, Schroeder S, Kuschel C, Lazarus JV, Atun R, Baptista-Leite R, 't Hoen E, Hutchinson SJ, Aufegger L, Peck R, Sohn AH, Swan T, Thursz M, Lesi O, Sharma M, Thwaites J, Wilson DP, Hellard M
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020 Jul; 5(10):927-939
- A model of the economic benefits of global hepatitis C elimination: an investment case.
Scott N, Kuschel C, Pedrana A, Schroeder S, Howell J, Thompson A, Wilson DP, Hellard M
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020 Jul; 5(10):940-947
- The Elimination of Hepatitis C as a Public Health Threat.
Hellard M, Schroeder SE, Pedrana A, Doyle J, Aitken C
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2020 Jan; 10(4):a036939
- Innovative strategies for the elimination of viral hepatitis at a national level: a country case series.
Schroeder ES, Pedrana A, Scott N, Wilson D, Kuschel C, Aufegger L, Atun R, Baptista-Leite R, Butsashvili M, El-Sayed M, Getahun A, Hamid S, Hammad R, 't Hoen E, Hutchinson SJ, Lazarus JV, Lesi O, Li W, Mohamed RB, Olafsson S, Peck R, Sohn AH, Sonderup M, Spearman CW, Swan T, Thursz M, Walker T, Hellard M, Howell J
Liver Int. 2019 Aug; 39(10):1818-1836
- Hepatitis C risk perceptions and attitudes towards reinfection among HIV-diagnosed gay and bisexual men in Melbourne, Australia.
Schroeder SE, Higgs P, Winter R, Brown G, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Doyle J, Stoové M
J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 May; 22(5):e25288
News Articles (3)