Peter Azzopardi MEpi FRACP PhD leads a program of research around global adolescent health, with a strong focus on health equity. He was a contributor to the Lancet Commission on Adolescent health and wellbeing, and has consulted on adolescent health to governments in Australia and the region, as well as DFAT, UNICEF, UNFPA and WHO.
A large focus of his work is the analysis of big data to identify priority health issues for adolescents at a global, regional, national and sub-national level. He co-chairs WHO’s Global Action for Measurement in Adolescent Health.
Pete also leads a number of projects that consider how best to respond to adolescent health needs- ranging from more inclusive policy, opportunities within schools, to realising opportunities for adolescent health gain in the health system.
Further to his role at Burnet, Pete is a clinical research fellow at the Wardliparingga Aboriginal Research Unit, South Australian Health and Medical Research Institute and a team leader in the Population Health theme, Murdoch Children’s Research Institute.
As of January 2023, Pete has transitioned to an Honorary staff position at Burnet
A profile of adolescent health in Myanmar
Engaging private sector for adolescent health service delivery in Asia and Pacific
Implementing Mental Health and Psychosocial Support Services in East Asia and the Pacific Region
Inequalities in sexual and reproductive health in Asia and the Pacific
Integrated Multi-Sectoral Approach (IMSA) To Improve The Sexual And Reproductive Health Of Adolescents In Magway, Myanmar
Integrating Mental Health and Psychosocial Support into primary health care for Children and Adolescents in Middle East and North Africa
Non-communicable diseases in adolescents in Indonesia
Quantifying early marriage and union in Southeast Asia
Resilient Adolescents and Integrated Life Skills (RAIL) project, Dawei, Myanmar
Review of the health and wellbeing of adolescents and young people in the Middle East and North Africa
Sexual and reproductive health in Asia and the Pacific
The Adolescent Menstrual Experiences and Health Cohort (AMEHC) Study in Bangladesh
TRYP: Transitions and Risk in Young People project
- Bringing a Wider Lens to Adolescent Mental Health: Aligning Measurement Frameworks With Multisectoral Actions.
Azzopardi P, Hijazi Z, Wulan N, Requejo J, Lai J, Carvajal-Velez L, Patton G
J Adolesc Health. 2023 Jan; 72(1S):S9-S11
- The Importance of Mental Health Measurement to Improve Global Adolescent Health.
Guthold R, Carvajal-Velez L, Adebayo E, Azzopardi P, Baltag V, Dastgiri S, Dua T, Fagan L, Ferguson BJ, Inchley JC, Mekuria ML, Moller AB, Servili C, Requejo J.
J Adolesc Health. 2023 Jan; 72(1S):S3-S6
- Strengthening assessment and response to mental health needs for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander children and adolescents in primary care settings: study protocol for the Ngalaiya Boorai Gabara Budbut implementation project.
Reilly R, Azzopardi PS, Brown A, Fisher J, Patton G, Rickwood DJ, Yong CS, Pearson O, Brown N
BMJ Open. 2022 Sep; 12(9):e063154
- Adolescent girls' experiences of menstruation and schooling in monastic schools in Magway Region, Myanmar: A mixed-methods exploration.
Swe ZY, Mon NO, Than KK, Azzopardi PS, Kennedy EC, Davis J, Burns LJ, Hennegan J
Front Reprod Health. 2022 Aug; 4:893266
- Potential Determinants of Cardio-Metabolic Risk among Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Children and Adolescents: A Systematic Review.
McKay CD, O'Bryan E, Gubhaju L, McNamara B, Gibberd AJ, Azzopardi P, Eades S
Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022 Jul; 19(15)
- Priority Indicators for Adolescent Health Measurement - Recommendations From the Global Action for Measurement of Adolescent Health (GAMA) Advisory Group.
Marsh AD, Moller AB, Saewyc E, Adebayo E, Akwara E, Azzopardi P, Ba MG, Baltag V, Bose K, Burrows S, Carvajal L, Dastgiri S, Fagan L, Ferguson J, Friedman HS, Giyava C, Hagell A, Inchley J, Jackson D, Kågesten AE, Mangombe A, Morgan A, Newby H, Schultz L, Sommer M, Speizer I, Tang K, Guthold R
J Adolesc Health. 2022 Jun; 71(4):455-465
- The need for a roadmap to guide actions for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adolescent health: youth governance as an essential foundation.
Westhead S, Appleby Q, Andrews B, Brodie T, Brown A, Canuto K, Cooke J, Garay M, Harrington T, Hunter D, Kennedy C, Lenoy J, Lester O, McCleary H, Pearson O, Randall L, Reilly R, Rose H, Rosendale D, Telfer J, Azzopardi P
Med J Aust. 2022 Jun; 217(1):13-15
- Assuring Bangladesh's future: non-communicable disease risk factors among the adolescents and the existing policy responses.
Biswas T, Azzopardi P, Anwar SN, de Vries TD, Encarnacion-Cruz LM, Hasan MM, Huda MM, Pervin S, Das Gupta R, Mitra DK, Rawal LB, Al Mamun A
J Health Popul Nutr. 2022 May; 41(1):22
- "I Don't Really Know What Diabetes Is": A Qualitative Study Exploring the Experiences of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Young People Aged 10 to 25 Years Living With Type 2 Diabetes in Northern and Central Australia.
Weaver E, Freeman N, Mack S, Titmuss A, Dowler J, Corpus S, Hyatt T, Ellis E, Sanderson C, Connors C, Moore E, Silver B, Azzopardi P, Maple-Brown L, Kirkham R; Diabetes Across the Lifecourse: Northern Australia Partnership.
Can J Diabetes. 2022 May; 46(7):722-729
- Monitoring Menstrual Health Knowledge: Awareness of Menstruation at Menarche as an Indicator.
Hennegan J, Swe ZY, Than KK, Smith C, Sol L, Alberda H, Bukenya JN, Kibira SPS, Makumbi FE, Schwab KJ, Azzopardi PS
Front Glob Womens Health. 2022 Mar; 3:832549
- Global, regional, and national mortality among young people aged 10-24 years, 1950-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.
GBD 2019 Adolescent Mortality Collaborators (including Azzopardi PS)
Lancet. 2021 Oct; 398(10311):1593-1618
- Key recommendations to strengthen public-private partnership for adolescent health in resource constrained settings: Formative qualitative inquiry in Mongolia, Myanmar and the Philippines.
Azzopardi PS, Hennegan J, Prabhu SM, Dagva B, Balibago MM, Htin PPW, Swe ZY, Kennedy EC
Lancet Reg Health West Pac. 2021 Oct; 15:100242
- A scoping review of adolescent health indicators.
Newby H, Marsh AD, Moller AB, Adebayo E, Azzopardi PS, Carvajal L, Fagan L, Friedman HS, Ba MG, Hagell A, Morgan A, Saewyc E, Guthold R
J Adolesc Health. 2021 Jul; 69(3):365-374
- A call for standardised age-disaggregated health data.
Diaz T, Strong KL, Cao B, Guthold R, Moran AC, Moller AB, Requejo J, Sadana R, Thiyagarajan JA, Adebayo E, Akwara E, Amouzou A, Aponte Varon JJ, Azzopardi PS, Boschi-Pinto C, Carvajal L, Chandra-Mouli V, Crofts S, Dastgiri S, Dery JS, Elnakib S, Fagan L, Jane Ferguson B, Fitzner J, Friedman HS, Hagell A, Jongstra E, Kann L, Chatterji S, English M, Glaziou P, Hanson C, Hosseinpoor AR, Marsh A, Morgan AP, Munos MK, Noor A, Pavlin BI, Pereira R, Porth TA, Schellenberg J, Siddique R, You D, Vaz LME, Banerjee A
Lancet Healthy Longev. 2021 Jul; 2(7):e436-e443
- Priority Areas for Adolescent Health Measurement.
Guthold R, Moller AB, Adebayo E, Carvajal L, Ekman C, Fagan L, Ferguson J, Friedman HS, Ba MG, Hagell A, Kohl K, Azzopardi PS
J Adolesc Health. 2021 May; 68(5):888-898
- Enablers and barriers to primary healthcare for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adolescents: study protocol for participatory mixed-methods research that builds on WHO global standards.
Ritchie T, Purcell T, Westhead S, Wenitong M, Cadet-James Y, Brown A, Kirkham R, Neville J, Saleh C, Brown N, Kennedy EC, Hennegan J, Pearson O, Azzopardi PS
BMJ Open. 2021 Apr; 11(4):e046459
- Mental health of adolescents in Myanmar: A systematic review of prevalence, determinants and interventions.
Carroll D, Wulan N, Swe ZY, Myint AA, Sanda S, Lwin AM, Oo T, Khaing LL, San CC, Tun WPP, Cini K, Win PM, Azzopardi P
Asian J Psychiatr. 2021 Apr; 61:102650
- Diet quality trajectories and cardiovascular phenotypes/metabolic syndrome risk by 11-12 years.
Kerr JA, Liu RS, Gasser CE, Mensah FK, Burgner D, Lycett K, Gillespie AN, Juonala M, Clifford SA, Olds T, Saffery R, Gold L, Liu M, Azzopardi P, Edwards B, Dwyer T, Wake M
Int J Obes (Lond). 2021 Apr; 45:1392–1403
- Gender norms and the wellbeing of girls and boys - Author's reply.
Azzopardi PS, Vaughan C, Patton GC, Humphries-Waa K, Binder G, Comrie-Thomson L, Kennedy E
Lancet Glob Health. 2021 Apr; 9(4):e399
- Matching action to need: an analysis of Global Burden of Disease 2017 and population health data to focus adolescent health policy and actions in Myanmar.
Cini KI, Win PM, Swe ZY, Than KK, Win TM, Aung YW, Myint AA, Wulan NR, Burns LJ, Kennedy EC, Francis KL, Sanda, Myat SM, Swe S, Ko AK, Yadanar, Hellard M, Hughes CL, Patton GC, Mokdad AH, Azzopardi PS
Glob Health Action. 2021 Jan; 14(1):1844976
- Gender inequalities in health and wellbeing across the first two decades of life: an analysis of 40 low-income and middle-income countries in the Asia-Pacific region.
Kennedy E, Binder G, Humphries-Waa K, Tidhar T, Cini K, Comrie-Thomson L, Vaughan C, Francis K, Scott N, Wulan N, Patton G, Azzopardi P
Lancet Glob Health. 2020 Oct; 8(12):e1473-e1488
- Identifying risk and protective factors, including culture and identity, for methamphetamine use in Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities: Relevance of the 'communities that care' model.
Reilly R, Gendera S, Treloar C, Roe Y, Conigrave K, Azzopardi P, Ward J
Soc Sci Med. 2020 Oct; 266:113451
- Measuring universal health coverage based on an index of effective coverage of health services in 204 countries and territories, 1990-2019: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2019.
GBD 2019 Universal Health Coverage Collaborators (including Peter Azzopardi)
Lancet. 2020 Oct; 396(10258):1250-1284
- Mapping geographical inequalities in oral rehydration therapy coverage in low-income and middle-income countries, 2000-17
Local Burden of Disease Diarrhoea Collaborators (including Peter Azzopardi)
Lancet Glob Health. 2020 Aug; 8(8):e1038-e1060
- Cross-sectional metabolic profiles of mental health in population-based cohorts of 11- to 12-year-olds and mid-life adults: The Longitudinal Study of Australian Children.
Lange K, Lycett K, Ellul S, Saffery R, Mensah F, Carlin J, Gold L, Edwards B, Azzopardi P, Sawyer M, Juonala M, Burgner D, Wake M
Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2020 May; 54(9):928-937
- Understanding mental health and its determinants from the perspective of adolescents: A qualitative study across diverse social settings in Indonesia.
Willenberg L, Wulan N, Medise BE, Devaera Y, Riyanti A, Ansariadi A, Wiguna T, Kaligis F, Fisher J, Luchters S, Jameel A, Sawyer SM, Tran T, Kennedy E, Patton GC, Wiweko B, Azzopardi PS
Asian J Psychiatr. 2020 May; 52:102148
- Direct assessment of mental health and metabolic syndrome amongst Indonesian adolescents: a study design for a mixed-methods study sampled from school and community settings.
Azzopardi PS, Willenberg L, Wulan N, Devaera Y, Medise B, Riyanti A, Ansariadi A, Sawyer S, Wiguna T, Kaligis F, Fisher J, Tran T, Agius PA, Borschmann R, Brown A, Cini K, Clifford S, Kennedy EC, Pedrana A, Pham MD, Wake M, Zimmet P, Durrant K, Wiweko B, Luchters S
Glob Health Action. 2020 Mar; 13(1):1732665
- Investing in the health of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander adolescents: a foundation for achieving health equity.
Azzopardi P, Blow N, Purcell T, Brown N, Ritchie T, Brown A
Med J Aust. 2020 Feb; 212(5):202-204
- Eating disorder symptoms across the weight spectrum in Australian adolescents.
Hughes EK, Kerr JA, Patton GC, Sawyer SM, Wake M, Le Grange D, Azzopardi P
Int J Eat Disord. 2019 Aug; 52(8):885-894
- The Global Action for Measurement of Adolescent health (GAMA) Initiative-Rethinking Adolescent Metrics.
Guthold R, Moller AB, Azzopardi P, Ba MG, Fagan L, Baltag V, Say L, Banerjee A, Diaz T
J Adolesc Health. 2019 Jun; 64(6):697-699
- WASH: a basic human right and essential intervention for child health and development.
Russell F, Azzopardi P
Lancet Glob Health. 2019 Apr; 7(4):e417
- 'Next Generation Youth Well-being Study:' understanding the health and social well-being trajectories of Australian Aboriginal adolescents aged 10-24 years: study protocol.
Gubhaju L, Banks E, Ward J, D'Este C, Ivers R, Roseby R, Azzopardi P, Williamson A, Chamberlain C, Liu B, Hotu C, Boyle J, McNamara B, Eades SJ; ‘Next Generation’ investigator team.
BMJ Open. 2019 Mar; 9(3):e028734
- Progress in adolescent health and wellbeing: tracking 12 headline indicators for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2016.
Azzopardi PS, Hearps SJC, Francis KL, Kennedy EC, Mokdad AH, Kassebaum NJ, Lim S, Irvine CMS, Vos T, Brown AD, Dogra S, Kinner SA, Kaoma NS, Naguib M, Reavley NJ, Requejo J, Santelli JS, Sawyer SM, Skirbekk V, Temmerman M, Tewhaiti-Smith J, Ward JL, Viner RM, Patton GC
Lancet. 2019 Mar; 393(10176):1101-1118
- Screening for depressive and anxiety disorders among adolescents in Indonesia: Formal validation of the centre for epidemiologic studies depression scale - revised and the Kessler psychological distress scale.
Tran TD, Kaligis F, Wiguna T, Willenberg L, Nguyen HTM, Luchters S, Azzopardi P, Fisher J
J Affect Disord. 2019 Mar; 246:189-194
- Cross-sectional associations between Ideal Cardiovascular Health scores and vascular phenotypes in 11- to 12-year-olds and their parents: The Longitudinal Study of Australian Children.
Liu RS, Wake M, Grobler A, Cheung M, Lycett K, Ranganathan S, Edwards B, Dwyer T, Azzopardi P, Juonala M, Burgner DP
Int J Cardiol. 2019 Feb; 277:258-265
- Global, regional, and national burden of traumatic brain injury and spinal cord injury, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
GBD 2016 Traumatic Brain Injury and Spinal Cord Injury Collaborators (including Azzopardi PS)
Lancer Neurol. 2019 Jan; 18(1):56-87
- Global, regional, and national age-sex-specific mortality for 282 causes of death in 195 countries and territories, 1980–2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017
GBD 2017 Causes of Death Collaborators (including Azzopardi P)
Lancet. 2018 Dec; 392(10159):1736-1788
- Global, regional, and national age-sex-specific mortality and life expectancy, 1950-2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.
GBD 2017 Mortality Collaborators (including Azzopardi P)
Lancet. 2018 Nov; 392(10159):1684-1735
- Global, regional, and national incidence, prevalence, and years lived with disability for 354 diseases and injuries for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017
GBD 2017 Disease and Injury Incidence and Prevalence Collaborators (including Azzopardi P)
Lancet. 2018 Nov; 392(10159):1789-1858
- Global, regional, and national disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) for 359 diseases and injuries and healthy life expectancy (HALE) for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.
GBD 2017 DALYs and HALE Collaborators (including Azzopardi P)
Lancet. 2018 Nov; 392(10159):1859-1922
- Measuring progress from 1990 to 2017 and projecting attainment to 2030 of the health-related Sustainable Development Goals for 195 countries and territories: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.
GBD 2017 SDG Collaborators (including Azzopardi P)
Lancet. 2018 Nov; 392(10159):2091-2138
- Global, regional, and national comparative risk assessment of 84 behavioural, environmental and occupational, and metabolic risks or clusters of risks for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2017.
GBD 2017 Risk Factor Collaborators (including Azzopardi P)
Lancet. 2018 Nov; 392(10159):1923-1994
- Population and fertility by age and sex for 195 countries and territories, 1950-2017: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2017.
GBD 2017 Population and Fertility Collaborators (including Azzopardi P)
Lancet. 2018 Nov; 392(10159):1995-2051
- Missing in the middle: measuring a million deaths annually in children aged 5-14 years.
Patton GC, Azzopardi P
Lancet Glob Health. 2018 Oct; 6(10):e1048-e1049
- Alcohol use and burden for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016
GBD 2016 Alcohol Collaborators (including Azzopardi P)
Lancet. 2018 Sep; 392(10152):1015-1035
- Measuring performance on the Healthcare Access and Quality Index for 195 countries and territories and selected subnational locations: a systematic analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
GBD 2016 Healthcare Access and Quality Collaborators (including Azzopardi P)
Lancet. 2018 Jun; 391(10136):2236-2271
- Adolescent health in the Eastern Mediterranean Region: findings from the global burden of disease 2015 study.
GBD 2015 Eastern Mediterranean Region Adolescent Health Collaborators. (including Peter Azzopardi, Karly Cini and Elissa Kennedy)
Int J Public Health. 2018 May; 63(Suppl 1):79-96
- Bone health, activity and sedentariness at age 11-12years: Cross-sectional Australian population-derived study.
Osborn W, Simm P, Olds T, Lycett K, Mensah FK, Muller J, Fraysse F, Ismail N, Vlok J, Burgner D, Carlin JB, Edwards B, Dwyer T, Azzopardi P, Ranganathan S, Wake M
Bone. 2018 Apr; 112:153-160
- The age of adolescence...and young adulthood - Authors' reply.
Sawyer SM, Azzopardi PS, Wickremarathne D, Patton GC
Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2018 Apr; 2(4):e7
- The age of adolescence.
Sawyer SM, Azzopardi PS, Wickremarathne D, Patton GC
Lancet Child Adolesc Health. 2018 Mar; 2(3):223-228
- Adolescence and the next generation.
Patton GC, Olsson CA, Skirbekk V, Saffery R, Wlodek ME, Azzopardi PS, Stonawski M, Rasmussen B, Spry E, Francis K, Bhutta ZA, Kassebaum NJ, Mokdad AH, Murray CJL, Prentice AM, Reavley N, Sheehan P, Sweeny K, Viner RM, Sawyer SM
Nature. 2018 Feb; 554(7693):458-466
- Health and wellbeing of Indigenous adolescents in Australia: a systematic synthesis of population data.
Azzopardi PS, Sawyer SM, Carlin JB, Degenhardt L, Brown N, Brown AD, Patton GC.
Lancet. 2018 Jan; 391(10122):766-782
- Global, regional, and national comparative risk assessment of 84 behavioural, environmental and occupational, and metabolic risks or clusters of risks, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
GBD 2016 Risk Factors Collaborators including Azzopardi P
Lancet. 2017 Sep; 390(10100):1345-1422
- Measuring progress and projecting attainment on the basis of past trends of the health-related Sustainable Development Goals in 188 countries: an analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
GBD 2016 SDG Collaborators including Azzopardi P
Lancet. 2017 Sep; 390(10100):1423-1459
- Global, regional, and national disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) for 333 diseases and injuries and healthy life expectancy (HALE) for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
GBD 2016 DALYs and HALE Collaborators including Azzopardi P
Lancet. 2017 Sep; 390(10100):1260-1344
- Child and adolescent mortality across Malaysia's epidemiological transition: A systematic analysis of global burden of disease data.
Abdul-Razak S, Azzopardi PS, Patton GC, Mokdad AH, Sawyer SM
J Adolesc Health. 2017 Aug; 61(4):424-433
- Healthcare Access and Quality Index based on mortality from causes amenable to personal health care in 195 countries and territories, 1990-2015: a novel analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015.
GBD 2015 Healthcare Access and Quality Collaborators including Azzopardi P
Lancet. 2017 Jul; 390(10091):231-266
News Articles (12)