Peter Azzopardi has over 10 years of experience in adolescent health programming, clinical medicine and research. Dr Azzopardi is an adolescent physican by training and has worked across many settings in the Western Pacific region. He also recently completed his PhD, a project where he described the health and wellbeing of Indigenous adolescents living in Australia using national survey data, hospital data and mortality data.
Dr Azzopardi contributed to the analysis of global burden of disease data for 188 countries to describe key health issues for adolescent health and wellbeing at a national, regional and global level for the Lancet Commission on Adolescent Health and Wellbeing. He has extensive experience in supporting and advising Government and non-government organisations around population health research, specifically in the areas of adolescent health.
Dr Azzopardi is a member of the consortium advisory group for the Longitudinal Study of Australian Children, Australia’s largest and longest running birth cohort. He is also a member of the Global Burden of Disease collaborator network. In this role, Dr Azzopardi has provided input and co-authored forthcoming publications arising from the Global Burden of Disease 2015 study.
- Measuring performance on the Healthcare Access and Quality Index for 195 countries and territories and selected subnational locations: a systematic analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
GBD 2016 Healthcare Access and Quality Collaborators (including Azzopardi P)
Lancet. 2018 Jun; 391(10136):2236-2271
- Bone health, activity and sedentariness at age 11-12years: Cross-sectional Australian population-derived study.
Osborn W, Simm P, Olds T, Lycett K, Mensah FK, Muller J, Fraysse F, Ismail N, Vlok J, Burgner D, Carlin JB, Edwards B, Dwyer T, Azzopardi P, Ranganathan S, Wake M
Bone. 2018 Apr; Epub ahead of print
- Adolescence and the next generation.
Patton GC, Olsson CA, Skirbekk V, Saffery R, Wlodek ME, Azzopardi PS, Stonawski M, Rasmussen B, Spry E, Francis K, Bhutta ZA, Kassebaum NJ, Mokdad AH, Murray CJL, Prentice AM, Reavley N, Sheehan P, Sweeny K, Viner RM, Sawyer SM
Nature. 2018 Feb; 554(7693):458-466
- Health and wellbeing of Indigenous adolescents in Australia: a systematic synthesis of population data.
Azzopardi PS, Sawyer SM, Carlin JB, Degenhardt L, Brown N, Brown AD, Patton GC.
Lancet. 2018 Jan; 391(10122):766-782
- Global, regional, and national comparative risk assessment of 84 behavioural, environmental and occupational, and metabolic risks or clusters of risks, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
GBD 2016 Risk Factors Collaborators including Azzopardi P
Lancet. 2017 Sep; 390(10100):1345-1422
- Measuring progress and projecting attainment on the basis of past trends of the health-related Sustainable Development Goals in 188 countries: an analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
GBD 2016 SDG Collaborators including Azzopardi P
Lancet. 2017 Sep; 390(10100):1423-1459
- Global, regional, and national disability-adjusted life-years (DALYs) for 333 diseases and injuries and healthy life expectancy (HALE) for 195 countries and territories, 1990-2016: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2016.
GBD 2016 DALYs and HALE Collaborators including Azzopardi P
Lancet. 2017 Sep; 390(10100):1260-1344
- Child and adolescent mortality across Malaysia's epidemiological transition: A systematic analysis of global burden of disease data.
Abdul-Razak S, Azzopardi PS, Patton GC, Mokdad AH, Sawyer SM
J Adolesc Health. 2017 Aug; 61(4):424-433
- Healthcare Access and Quality Index based on mortality from causes amenable to personal health care in 195 countries and territories, 1990-2015: a novel analysis from the Global Burden of Disease Study 2015.
GBD 2015 Healthcare Access and Quality Collaborators including Azzopardi P
Lancet. 2017 Jul; 390(10091):231-266
News Articles (5)