I am a consultant gastroenterologist at St Vincent’s Hospital and The Royal Melbourne Hospital, with a research interest in liver cancer and viral hepatitis. I completed my PhD exploring the role of the innate immune system in hepatitis C disease post liver transplantation. I received an NHMRC Sidney Sax Early Career Research Fellowship for post-doctoral studies at Imperial College London (Department of Hepatology), where I worked with a team on public health projects targeting reduction of HBV-related liver disease and liver cancer in Sub-saharan Africa and exploring genetic mutation analysis of circulating free tumour DNA in liver cancer in collaboration with Cologne University (Germany). I am currently working on further projects exploring genetics of liver cancer and the epidemiology of liver disease and liver cancer under the mentorship of Professor Margaret Hellard. I am involved in hepatology training and public health projects in Fiji.
- CR Roper Senior research fellow, Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne
- Adjunct senior research fellow, Epidemiology and Disease Prevention, Monash
- Post doctoral fellow, Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne
- Honorary post doctoral fellow, Imperial College London, UK
- Masters student, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (MSc Epi, Post Grad Dip Public Health)
- Gastroenterologist and hepatologist, St Vincent’s Hospital Melbourne
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- Committee member of the Australian Liver Association (ALA), Australasian Society for HIV, Viral Hepatitis and Sexual Health Medicine (ASHM) and Gastroenterological Society of Australia (GESA)
- MBBS (Hons)
- PhD (Medicine)
- FRACP - Gastroenterology
- 2013 NHMRC Early Career Research Fellowship
Bushell/ GESA Post Doctoral Research Scholarship
- 2012 RACP CRB Bushell Scholarship
Astra-Zeneca/ GESA Grant-In-Aid Scholarship
Young Investigator Bursary, European Association for the Study of the Liver.
- 2011 GESA Frenesius Kabi Travel Bursary
- 2009 GESA (Gastroenterology Society of Australia) Clinical Research Scholarship (PhD)
- 1998 National Heart Foundation Summer Scholarship
- 1999 Anti-Cancer Council Summer Research Scholarship
- 2002 MBBS with First Class Honours
Deans Honour’s List
Jamieson Prize for best student in Clinical Medicine;
Tom Keen Prize for best student in Chemical Pathology
- 2001 Deans Honour’s List
- 2000 Deans Honour’s List
- 1998 Deans Honour’s List
Novartis Prize for best student in Behavioural Science
Barriers to hepatocellular carcinoma screening uptake in Victoria
Cancer information compared to Hepatitis B information to INcreAse hepatitis B testing in Melbourne’s Chinese community (CHINA-B study)
EC Partnership: Eliminate Hepatitis C Partnership
Hepatitis B Modelling
Identifying the barriers to hepatitis B clinical management: the perspectives of people with hepatitis B.
Identifying the structural enablers to the clinical management of people with hepatitis B in general practice: a qualitative investigation
Modelling for evidence-based national hepatitis B testing plans
The elimination of hepatitis C as a global public health threat
The QuickStart Study
- Role of COVID-19 vaccine education in discharge planning to increase community vaccination coverage.
Tse WC, Fahey J, Doyle J, Hellard M, Howell J
Intern Med J. 2022 May; Epub ahead of print
- Feasibility of decentralised, task-shifted hepatitis C testing and treatment services in urban Myanmar: implications for scale-up.
Draper BL, Yee WL, Shilton S, Bowring A, Htay H, Nwe N, Markby J, Kyi KP, Easterbrook P, Naing W, Win TM, Aung KS, Howell J, Pedrana A, Hellard M
BMJ Open. 2022 May; 12(5):e059639
- The impact of point-of-care hepatitis C testing in needle and syringe exchange programs on linkage to care and treatment uptake among people who inject drugs: An Australian pilot study.
Howell J, Traeger MW, Williams B, Layton C, Doyle JS, Latham N, Draper B, Bramwell F, Membrey D, McPherson M, Roney J, Stoové M, Thompson AJ, Hellard ME, Pedrana A
J Viral Hepat. 2022 May; 29(5):375-384
- Hepatitis C antibody testing among opioid agonist therapy recipients, Victoria, Australia, 2012 to 2020.
Dawe J, Wilkinson AL, Asselin J, Carter A, Pedrana A, Traeger MW, Thomas AJ, Curtis M, Cooper M, Howell J, Doyle JS, Hellard ME, Stoové M; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of blood borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections (ACCESS).
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Apr; 104:103696
- Hepatitis B and pregnancy: understanding the experiences of care among pregnant women and recent mothers in metropolitan Melbourne.
Ahad M, Wallace J, Xiao Y, van Gemert C, Bennett G, Darby J, Desmond P, Hall S, Holmes J, Papaluca T, Glasgow S, Thompson A, Hellard M, Doyle J, Howell J
BMC Public Health. 2022 Apr; 22(1):817
- Hepatitis C incidence among patients attending primary care health services that specialise in the care of people who inject drugs, Victoria, Australia, 2009 to 2020.
Wilkinson AL, van Santen DK, Traeger MW, Sacks-Davis R, Asselin J, Scott N, Harney BL, Doyle JS, El-Hayek C, Howell J, Bramwell F, McManus H, Donovan B, Stoové M, Hellard M, Pedrana A
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Mar; 103:103655
- Making child's play of tolerance: Defining the immune-viral interplay during combination entecavir and pegylated interferon therapy for immune tolerant hepatitis B infection.
Howell J, Hellard M
Hepatology. 2022 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- Australian consensus recommendations for the management of hepatitis B.
Lubel JS, Strasser SI, Thompson AJ, Cowie BC, MacLachlan J, Allard NL, Holmes J, Kemp WW, Majumdar A, Iser D, Howell J, Matthews GV
Med J Aust. 2022 Mar; 216(9): 478-486
- Reducing liver disease-related deaths in the Asia-Pacific: the important role of decentralised and non-specialist led hepatitis C treatment for cirrhotic patients.
Draper B, Yee WL, Pedrana A, Kyi KP, Qureshi H, Htay H, Naing W, Thompson AJ, Hellard M, Howell J
Lancet Reg Health West Pac. 2022 Mar; 20:100359
- Turning the tide on hepatitis C-related liver transplantation: the return on investment in hepatitis C treatment in Australia and New Zealand.
Howell J, Majumdar A, Fink M, Byrne M, McCaughan G, Strasser SI, Crawford M, Hodgkinson P, Stuart KA, Tallis C, Chen J, Wigg A, Jones R, Jaques B, Jeffrey G, Adams L, Wallace MC, Munn S, Gane E, Thompson A, Gow P
Liver Transpl. 2022 Feb; 28(2):236-246
- Real-world monitoring progress towards the elimination of hepatitis C virus in Australia using sentinel surveillance of primary care clinics; an ecological study of hepatitis C virus antibody tests from 2009 to 2019.
Wilkinson AL, Pedrana A, Traeger MW, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Nguyen L, Polkinghorne V, Doyle JS, Thompson AJ, Howell J, Scott N, Dimech W, Guy R, Hellard M, Stoové M; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of blood borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections (ACCESS)
Epidemiol Infect. 2022 Jan; 150:e7
- Assessing the feasibility, acceptability and impacts of an education program on hepatitis B testing uptake among ethnic Chinese in Australia: results of a randomised controlled pilot study.
Xiao Y, Wallace J, Ahad M, van Gemert C, Thompson AJ, Doyle J, Lam HY, Chan K, Bennett G, Adamson E, Yussf N, Tang A, Pedrana A, Stoove M, Hellard M, Howell J
BMC Public Health. 2021 Oct; 21(1):1861
- Outcomes of the CT2 Study: A 'one-stop-shop' for community-based hepatitis C testing and treatment in Yangon, Myanmar.
Draper B, Htay H, Pedrana A, Yee WL, Howell J, Kyi KP, Naing W, Aung KS, Markby J, Easterbrook P, Bowring A, Aung W, Sein YY, Nwe N, Myint KT, Shilton S, Hellard M
Liver Int. 2021 Jun; 41(11):2578-2589
- A qualitative exploration of enablers for hepatitis B clinical management among ethnic Chinese in Australia.
Xiao Y, Wallace J, Thompson A, Hellard M, van Gemert C, Holmes JA, Croagh C, Richmond J, Papaluca T, Hall S, Hong T, Demediuk B, Iser D, Ryan M, Desmond P, Visvanathan K, Howell J
J Viral Hepat. 2021 Jun; 28(6):925-933
- Clinical utility of quantifying hepatitis B surface antigen in African patients with chronic hepatitis B
Post G, Howell J, Sow A, Ndow G, Chemin I, Lo G, Cessay A, Cohen D, Njie R, Toure S, Diop M, Sombie R, Nana J, Leroy V, Lacombe K, Bojang L, Tacke F, Toure-Kane C, Ka M, Mendy M, Mboup S, Thursz M, Shimakawa Y, Ingiliz P, Lemoine M
J Viral Hepat. 2021 Mar; 28(2):1003-1010
- A global investment framework for the elimination of hepatitis B.
Howell J, Pedrana A, Schroeder SE, Scott N, Aufegger L, Atun R, Baptista-Leite R, Hirnschal G, Hoen E', Hutchinson SJ, Lazarus JV, Olufunmilayo L, Peck R, Sharma M, Sohn AH, Thompson A, Thursz M, Wilson D, Hellard M
J Hepatol. 2021 Mar; 74(3):535-549
- Current issues in the prevalence, diagnosis and management of hepatocellular carcinoma in Australia.
Lubel JS, Roberts SK, Howell J, Ward J, Shackel NA
Intern Med J. 2021 Feb; 51(2):181-188
- In support of community-based hepatitis C treatment with triage of people at risk of cirrhosis to specialist care.
Wade AJ, Doyle JS, Draper B, Howell J, Iser D, Roberts SK, Kemp W, Thompson AJ, Hellard ME
J Viral Hepat. 2021 Jan; 28(1):217-218
- Non-invasive fibrosis algorithms are clinically useful for excluding cirrhosis in prisoners living with hepatitis C.
Papaluca T, Craigie A, McDonald L, Edwards A, MacIsaac M, Holmes JA, Jarman M, Lee T, Huang H, Chan A, Lai M, Sundararajan V, Doyle JS, Hellard M, Stoove M, Howell J, Desmond P, Iser D, Thompson A
PLoS One. 2020 Nov; 15(11):e0242101
- Point-of-Care Tests for Hepatitis B: An Overview.
Xiao Y, Thompson AJ, Howell J
Cells. 2020 Oct; 9(10):E2233
- Facilitating hepatitis B clinical management in general practice: A qualitative investigation.
Wallace J, Richmond J, Allard N, Howell J, Adamson E, XiaoYZ, O’Reilly C, Hellard M
Aust J Gen Pract. 2020 Sep; 49(9):599-604
- Validation of the TREAT-B score for hepatitis B treatment eligibility in a large Asian cohort: TREAT-B improves with age.
Howell J, Anderson D, Bloom S, Lubel J, Kemp W, Williams J, Bell S, Croagh C, Demediuk B, Desmond P, Hall S, Holmes J, Hong T, Iser D, Lim L, Papaluca T, Ryan M, Visvanathan K, Xiao Y, van Gemert C, Hellard M, Thompson A
J Hepatol. 2020 Sep; 73(5):1282-1284
- Estimates of the global reduction in liver disease-related mortality with increased coffee consumption: an analysis of the Global Burden of Disease Dataset.
Gow P, Spelman T, Gardner S, Hellard M, Howell J
Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2020 Aug; 52(7):1195-1203
- Closing the stable door after the horse has bolted - should we be treating people with immune-tolerant chronic hepatitis B to prevent hepatocellular carcinoma?
Howell J, Chan HL, Feld JJ, Hellard ME, Thompson AJ
Gastroenterology. 2020 Aug; 158(8):2028-2032
- Global hepatitis C elimination: an investment framework.
Pedrana A, Howell J, Scott N, Schroeder S, Kuschel C, Lazarus JV, Atun R, Baptista-Leite R, 't Hoen E, Hutchinson SJ, Aufegger L, Peck R, Sohn AH, Swan T, Thursz M, Lesi O, Sharma M, Thwaites J, Wilson DP, Hellard M
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020 Jul; 5(10):927-939
- A model of the economic benefits of global hepatitis C elimination: an investment case.
Scott N, Kuschel C, Pedrana A, Schroeder S, Howell J, Thompson A, Wilson DP, Hellard M
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020 Jul; 5(10):940-947
- Decentralized, Community-Based Hepatitis C Point-of-Care Testing and Direct-Acting Antiviral Treatment for People Who Inject Drugs and the General Population in Myanmar: Protocol for a Feasibility Study.
Draper BL, Pedrana A, Howell J, Yee WL, Htay H, Aung KS, Shilton S, Kyi KP, Naing W, Hellard M
JMIR Res Protoc. 2020 Jul; 9(7):e16863
- Use of controlled temperature chain and compact prefilled auto-disable devices to reach 2030 hepatitis B birth dose vaccination targets in LMICs: a modelling and cost-optimisation study.
Seaman CP, Morgan C, Howell J, Xiao Y, Spearman CW, Sonderup M, Lesi O, Andersson MI, Hellard ME, Scott N
Lancet Glob Health. 2020 Jul; 8(7):e931-e941
- The impact of universal access to direct-acting antiviral therapy on the hepatitis C cascade of care among individuals attending primary and community health services.
Traeger MW, Pedrana AE, van Santen DK, Doyle JS, Howell J, Thompson AJ, El-Hayek C, Asselin J, Polkinghorne V, Membrey D, Bramwell F, Carter A, Guy R, Stoové MA, Hellard ME; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of Blood-borne Viruses and Sexually Transmitted Infections (ACCESS)
PLoS One. 2020 Jun; 15(6):e0235445
- Enhancing the hepatitis B care cascade in Australia: a cost-effectiveness model.
Xiao Y, Howell J, van Gemert C, Thompson AJ, Seaman CP, McCulloch K, Scott N, Hellard ME
J Viral Hepat. 2020 May; 27(5):526-536
- A cost-effectiveness analysis of primary versus hospital-based specialist care for direct acting antiviral hepatitis C treatment.
Palmer AY, Wade AJ, Draper B, Howell J, Doyle JS, Petrie D, Thompson AJ, Wilson DP, Hellard ME, Scott N
Int J Drug Policy. 2020 Feb; 76:102633
- 'Think Hep B' in primary care: A before-and-after evaluation of a self-guided learning package.
Xiao Y, van Gemert C, Howell J, Adamson E, Towell V, Cowie BC, Thompson AJ, Hellard M
Aust J Gen Pract. 2020 Jan; 49(1-2):66-69
- 'Teach-back' is a simple communication tool that improves disease knowledge in people with chronic hepatitis B - a pilot randomized controlled study.
Tran S, Bennett G, Richmond J, Nguyen T, Ryan M, Hong T, Howell J, Demediuk B, Desmond P, Bell S, Thompson A
BMC Public Health. 2019 Oct; 19(1):1355
- Point-of-care Hepatitis C virus testing and linkage to treatment in an Australian inner-city emergency department.
Hutton J, Doyle J, Zordan R, Weiland T, Cocco A, Howell J, Iser S, Snell J, Fry S, New K, Sloane R, Jarman M, Phan D, Tran S, Pedrana A, Williams B, Johnson J, Glasgow S, Thompson A
Int J Drug Policy. 2019 Oct; 72:84-90
- Point-of-care hepatitis C testing from needle and syringe programs: An Australian feasibility study.
Williams B, Howell J, Doyle J, Thompson AJ, Draper B, Layton C, Latham N, Bramwell F, Membrey D, Mcpherson M, Roney J, Stoové M, Hellard ME, Pedrana A
Int J Drug Policy. 2019 Oct; 72:91-98
- Innovative strategies for the elimination of viral hepatitis at a national level: a country case series.
Schroeder ES, Pedrana A, Scott N, Wilson D, Kuschel C, Aufegger L, Atun R, Baptista-Leite R, Butsashvili M, El-Sayed M, Getahun A, Hamid S, Hammad R, 't Hoen E, Hutchinson SJ, Lazarus JV, Lesi O, Li W, Mohamed RB, Olafsson S, Peck R, Sohn AH, Sonderup M, Spearman CW, Swan T, Thursz M, Walker T, Hellard M, Howell J
Liver Int. 2019 Aug; 39(10):1818-1836
- Identification of mutations in circulating cell-free tumour DNA as a biomarker in hepatocellular carcinoma.
Howell J, Atkinson SR, Pinato DJ, Knapp S, Ward C, Minisini R, Burlone ME, Leutner M, Pirisi M, Büttner R, Khan SA, Thursz M, Odenthal M, Sharma R
Eur J Cancer. 2019 Jun; 116:56-66
- Hepatitis B management during immunosuppression for haematological and solid organ malignancies: an Australian consensus statement.
Doyle J, Raggatt M, Slavin M, McLachlan SA, Strasser SI, Sasadeusz JJ, Howell J, Hajkowicz K, Nandurkar H, Johnston A, Bak N, Thompson AJ
Med J Aust. 2019 Jun; 210(10):462-468
- The emerging burden of liver disease in cystic fibrosis patients: A UK nationwide study.
Toledano MB, Mukherjee SK, Howell J, Westaby D, Khan SA, Bilton D, Simmonds NJ
PLoS One. 2019 Apr; 14(4):e0212779
- Tracking the uptake of outcomes of hepatitis B virus testing using laboratory data in Victoria, 2011-2016; a population-level cohort study.
van Gemert C, Dimech W, Stoové M , Guy R , Howell J , Bowden S, Nicholson S , Pendle S , Donovan B , Hellard M
Sexual Health. 2019 Mar; 16:358-366
- Community-based, point-of-care hepatitis C testing: perspectives and preferences of people who inject drugs.
Latham NH, Pedrana A, Doyle JS, Howell J, Williams B, Higgs P, Thompson AJ, Hellard ME
J Viral Hepat. 2019 Feb; 26(7):919-922
- Outcomes of treatment for hepatitis C in prisoners using a nurse-led, state-wide model of care.
Papaluca T, McDonald L, Craigie A, Gibson A, Desmond P, Wong D, Winter R, Scott N, Howell J, Doyle J, Pedrana A, Lloyd A, Stoové M, Hellard M, Iser D, Thompson A
J Hepatol. 2019 Jan; 70(5):839-846
- Aiming for the elimination of viral hepatitis in Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and Territories: where are we now and barriers to meeting WHO targets by 2030.
Howell J, Pedrana A, Cowie BC, Doyle J, Getehun A, Ward J, Gane E, Cunningham C, Wallace J, Lee A, Malani J, Thompson A, Hellard ME
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Jan; 34(1):40-48
- "B in IT" - a community-based model for the management of hepatitis B patients in primary care clinics using a novel web-based clinical tool.
Debra A O'Leary, Eleanor Cropp, David Isaac, Paul V Desmond, Sally Bell, Tin Nguyen, Darren Wong, Jessica Howell, Jacqui Richmond, Jenny O'Neill, Alexander J Thompson
Hepatol Med Policy. 2018 Jan; 3:1
- Reaching hepatitis C virus elimination targets requires health system interventions to enhance the care cascade.
Scott N, Doyle JS, Wilson DP, Wade A, Howell J, Pedrana A, Thompson A, Hellard ME
Int J Drug Policy. 2017 Sep; 47:107-116
- Review article: delivering precision oncology in intermediate-stage liver cancer.
Pinato DJ, Howell J, Ramaswami R, Sharma R
Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2017 Jun; 45(12):1514-1523
- Hepatocellular carcinoma after sustained virologic response: Leave no one behind.
Howell J, Thompson AJ
Gastroenterology. 2017 May; 152(6):1282-1284
- Integration of the cancer-related inflammatory response as a stratifying biomarker of survival in hepatocellular carcinoma treated with sorafenib.
Howell J, Pinato DJ, Ramaswami R, Arizumi T, Ferrari C, Gibbin A, Burlone ME, Guaschino G, Toniutto P, Black J, Sellers L, Kudo M, Pirisi M, Sharma R
Oncotarget. 2017 Feb; 8(22):36161-36170
- On-target sorafenib toxicity predicts improved survival in hepatocellular carcinoma: a multi-centre, prospective study.
Howell J, Pinato DJ, Ramaswami R, Bettinger D, Arizumi T, Ferrari C, Yen C, Gibbin A, Burlone ME, Guaschino G, Sellers L, Black J, Pirisi M, Kudo M, Thimme R, Park JW, Sharma R
Alimentary Pharmacology and therapeutics. 2017 Jan; 45(8):1146-1155
- The clinical role of circulating free tumor DNA in gastrointestinal malignancy.
Howell JA, Khan SA, Knapp S, Thursz MR, Sharma R
Transl Res. 2017 Jan; 183:137-154
- PROLIFICA: a story of West African clinical and research collaborations to target hepatitis B-related hepatocellular carcinoma in West Africa.
J Howell, N G Ladep, S Nayagam, M Lemoine, D A Garside, M M E Crossey, E Okeke, R Njie, M M Ka, M Taal, M R Thursz, S D Taylor-Robinson
QJM. 2015 Jun; Epub ahead of print
- Prevention of Liver Fibrosis and Cancer in Africa: The PROLIFICA project - a collaborative study of hepatitis B-related liver disease in West Africa.
Howell J, Ladep NG, Lemoine M, Nayagam S, Toure PS, Diop MM, Daveiga JA, Sall AS, Lo G, Crossey MM, Thursz MR, Taylor-Robinson SD, Ka MM
S Afr Med J. 2015 Jan; 105(3):185-186
- An overview of hepatitis B prevalence, prevention and management in the pacific islands and territories.
Howell J, Van Gemert C, Lemoine M, Thursz M, Hellard M
J Gastroent Hepatol. 2014 Aug; 29(11):1854-1866
- Prevention of materno-foetal transmission of hepatitis B in sub-Saharan Africa: the evidence, current practice and future challenges.
Howell J, Lemoine M, Thursz M
J Viral Hepat. 2014 Jun; 21(6):381-396
- Role of toll-like receptors in liver transplantation.
Jessica Howell, Paul Gow, Peter Angus, Kumar Visvanathan
Liver Transpl. 2014 Mar; 20(3):270-280
- Hepatitis C recurrence: the Achilles heel of liver transplantation.
J Howell, P Angus, P Gow
Transpl Infect Dis. 2014 Feb; 16(1):1-16
- Identifying the superior measure of rapid fibrosis for predicting premature cirrhosis after liver transplantation for hepatitis C.
J Howell, R Sawhney, P Angus, M Fink, R Jones, B Z Wang, K Visvanathan, P Crowley, P Gow
Transpl Infect Dis. 2013 Dec; 15(6):588-599
- Cyclosporine and tacrolimus have inhibitory effects on toll-like receptor signaling after liver transplantation.
Jessica Howell, Rohit Sawhney, Adam Testro, Narelle Skinner, Paul Gow, Peter Angus, Dilip Ratnam, Kumar Visvanathan
Liver Transpl. 2013 Oct; 19(10):1099-1107
- Paracetamol overdose in Victoria remains a significant health-care burden.
Siddharth Sood, Jessica Howell, Vijaya Sundararajan, Peter W Angus, Paul J Gow
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013 Aug; 28(8):1356-1360
- Pegylated interferon plus ribavirin versus standard interferon plus ribavirin for chronic hepatitis C infection: a meta-analytical systematic review.
Quinn B, Doyle JS, Howell J, Chow SM, Aspinall EJ, Hutchinson SJ, Hellard ME
Technical Report for the World Health Organisation, Global Hepatitis Programme, Geneva. 2013 Jul
- The role of natural killer cells in hepatitis C infection.
Howell J, Visvanathan K
Antiviral Therapy. 2013 Jul; 18(7):853-865
- Toll-like receptors in hepatitis C infection: implications for pathogenesis and treatment.
Jessica Howell, Peter Angus, Paul Gow, Kumar Visvanathan
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2013 May; 28(5):766-776
News Articles (9)