Katherine completed a PhD at Burnet Institute and the University of Melbourne in 2019 following undergraduate specialisations in Immunology and Microbiology (2014 BSc (Hons), Monash University).
During her doctoral candidature, Katherine undertook studies investigating the epidemiology of malaria in Southeast Asia to understand the immune drivers of malaria infection and treatment efficacy in high risk populations and clinical patients. Since 2019 she has been a Postdoctoral Researcher at Burnet Institute within the Malaria and Infectious Diseases Epidemiology Group, and a fellow of the NHMRC-funded Centre of Research Excellence (CRE) for Malaria Elimination. Her research continues to investigate antimalarial immunity in low transmission settings, including its role in surveillance of ongoing transmission and risk of disease rebound in regions approaching malaria elimination.
- 2019: Postdoctoral Fellow, Australian Centre for Research Excellence in Malaria Elimination
2015: Research Assistant, Centre for Epidemiology and Biostatistics, The University of Melbourne
2014: Research Assistant, Malaria and Infectious Disease Epidemiology Group, Burnet Institute
- 2019: Doctor of Philosophy, the University of Melbourne
- 2014: Bachelor of Science (Hons), Monash University
- 2018: Crofts Public Health Publication Award
- 2017: Pauline Speedy Postgraduate Travel Award
Host and parasite factors that predict Artemisinin Resistance reservoirs
Immunity to malaria and infectious diseases during pregnancy
Immunity, drug efficacy and spread of antimalarial drug resistance
Impact of declining transmission on immunity and risk of malaria rebound
Serological surveillance to identify mosquito exposure and malaria transmission
- Evaluation of the effectiveness of topical repellent distributed by village health volunteer networks against Plasmodium spp. infection in Myanmar: A stepped-wedge cluster randomised trial.
Agius PA, Cutts JC, Han Oo W, Thi A, O'Flaherty K, Zayar Aung K, Kyaw Thu H, Poe Aung P, Mon Thein M, Nyi Zaw N, Yan Min Htay W, Paing Soe A, Razook Z, Barry AE, Htike W, Devine A, Simpson JA, Crabb BS, Beeson JG, Pasricha N, Fowkes FJI
PLoS Med. 2020 Aug; 17(8):e1003177
- The contribution of functional antimalarial immunity to measures of parasite clearance in therapeutic efficacy studies of artemisinin derivatives.
O'Flaherty K, Ataíde R, Zaloumis SG, Ashley EA, Powell R, Feng G, Reiling L, Dondorp AM, Day NP, Dhorda M, Fairhurst RM, Lim P, Amaratunga C, Pukrittayakamee S, Hien TT, Htut Y, Mayxay M, Faiz MA, Beeson JG, Nosten F, Simpson JA, White NJ, Fowkes FJI
J Infect Dis. 2019 Aug; 220(7):1178-1187
- Effectiveness of repellent delivered through village health volunteers on malaria incidence in villages in South-East Myanmar: a stepped-wedge cluster-randomised controlled trial protocol.
Win Han Oo, Cutts JC, Agius PA, Kyaw Zayar Aung, Poe Poe Aung, Aung Thi, Nyi Nyi Zaw, Htin Kyaw Thu, Wai Yan Min Htay, Ataide R, O'Flaherty K, Ai Pao Yawn, Aung Paing Soe, Beeson JG, Crabb B, Pasricha N, Fowkes FJI
BMC Infect Dis. 2018 Dec; 18(1):663
News Articles (2)