Dr Pedrana BBmedSc (hons), PhD (Public Health) is a senior research fellow and public health practitioner, who co-leads the Implementation Science working group at Burnet Institute. She holds an adjunct research fellow position at Monash University and Co-lead’s the Health Services Research and Implementation Platform at Monash Partners.
Her research focusses on Blood-borne virus/Sexually Transmitted Infections epidemiology and the integration of health interventions and evaluation to inform health services and quality of care improvements. Her current work on Hepatitis C elimination uses implementation science and co-design approaches to strengthen health systems and works closely with community organisations to produce evidence to support decision and policy making.
In her current role as coordinator of the Eliminate Hepatitis C Australia Partnership, a $11.3M national project, she leads a multi-disciplinary team of over 80+ researchers, implementation scientists, government workers, and health services and community organisation members to develop a cohesive national response to increase hepatitis C testing and treatment.
She has published over 100 peer-reviewed articles in leading local and international journals, and delivered over 50 presentations at local, national, and international conferences. Over the past five years she has secured > A$25 million in competitive research grants and tender funds as a lead investigator.
- 2020 – present: Senior Advisor, Know COVID19 Executive, Burnet Institute
- 2019 – present: Senior Research Fellow, Disease Elimination Program, Burnet Institute
- 2019 – present: Co-Lead Health Services Research and Implementation Platform, Monash Partners
- 2014 – present: Adjunct Research Fellow, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University
- 2020 – present: Knowledge Translation Lead, Optimise COVID-19 Study
- 2019 - present: EC Partnership Australia Coordinator, Burnet Institute
- 2016 - 2021: EC Partnership Victoria Coordinator, Burnet Institute
- 2014 - 2017: Postdoctoral Research Fellow, Department Nutrition, Harvard T.H Chan School of Public Health
- 2013 - 2018: ICT and Evaluation Advisor, Jhpiego
- 2014 - 2016: mHealth Specialist, SUMMIT Institute of Development
- 2012 - 2015: Visiting Research Fellow and mHealth Advisor, RTI Indonesia
- 2012: Advanced Public Health Officer, Queensland Health, Cairns Public Health Unit, Cairns
- 2012: PhD Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2005: BA Biomedical Science (Hons), Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2004: BA Biomedical Science, Monash University, Melbourne, Australia
- 2021: Burnet - NHMRC ‘near-miss' fellowship
- 2020: Hepatitis Victoria LiverWELL Individual Contribution Award
- 2014-2017: National Health and Medical Research Council, Early Career Fellowship
- 2013: Monash University Outstanding Support of Peers Award – PhD
- 2013: Monash University Bridging Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 2012: Endeavour Executive Award Holder
- 2012: Scholarship Recipient for the International Union against Sexually Transmitted Infections Conference
- 2012: Monash Postgraduate Publications Award
- 2011: Monash University Postgraduate Travel Grant Award
- 2009: National Health and Medical Research Council Postgraduate Scholarship Award
- 2009: Sidney Myer Health Scholarship Award
- 2009: Burnet Institute Public Health Travel Award
- 2009: Best Oral Presentation: HIV Prevention, Australasian Society for HIV Medicine Australasian HIV/AIDS Conference
- 2005: Runner Up; VicHealth Health Promotion Project Award
Cancer information compared to Hepatitis B information to INcreAse hepatitis B testing in Melbourne’s Chinese community (CHINA-B study)
COVASIM: Modelling COVID-19
EC Australia: Eliminate Hepatitis C Australia Partnership
EC Partnership: Eliminate Hepatitis C Partnership
Evaluation of Malaria Case-Based Reporting using a mobile phone application in Myanmar
Hepatitis C: Community Testing and Treatment (CT2)
PRONTO! Rapid HIV point-of-care testing in Victoria
SHARP: Sexual Health And Risk Prevention Study
The elimination of hepatitis C as a global public health threat
The International Collaboration on Hepatitis C Elimination in HIV Cohorts (InCHEHC)
The Optimise Study: Optimising Isolation, Quarantine and Distancing for COVID-19
The QuickStart Study
- Feasibility of decentralised, task-shifted hepatitis C testing and treatment services in urban Myanmar: implications for scale-up.
Draper BL, Yee WL, Shilton S, Bowring A, Htay H, Nwe N, Markby J, Kyi KP, Easterbrook P, Naing W, Win TM, Aung KS, Howell J, Pedrana A, Hellard M
BMJ Open. 2022 May; 12(5):e059639
- The impact of point-of-care hepatitis C testing in needle and syringe exchange programs on linkage to care and treatment uptake among people who inject drugs: An Australian pilot study.
Howell J, Traeger MW, Williams B, Layton C, Doyle JS, Latham N, Draper B, Bramwell F, Membrey D, McPherson M, Roney J, Stoové M, Thompson AJ, Hellard ME, Pedrana A
J Viral Hepat. 2022 May; 29(5):375-384
- Hepatitis C antibody testing among opioid agonist therapy recipients, Victoria, Australia, 2012 to 2020.
Dawe J, Wilkinson AL, Asselin J, Carter A, Pedrana A, Traeger MW, Thomas AJ, Curtis M, Cooper M, Howell J, Doyle JS, Hellard ME, Stoové M; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of blood borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections (ACCESS).
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Apr; 104:103696
- Randomised controlled trial of active case management to link hepatitis C notifications to treatment in Tasmania, Australia: a study protocol.
Marukutira T, Moore KP, Hellard M, Richmond J, Turner K, Pedrana AE, Melody S, Johnston FH, Owen L, Van Den Boom W, Scott N, Thompson A, Iser D, Spelman T, Veitch M, Stoové MA, Doyle J
BMJ Open. 2022 Mar; 12(3):e056120
- Hepatitis C incidence among patients attending primary care health services that specialise in the care of people who inject drugs, Victoria, Australia, 2009 to 2020.
Wilkinson AL, van Santen DK, Traeger MW, Sacks-Davis R, Asselin J, Scott N, Harney BL, Doyle JS, El-Hayek C, Howell J, Bramwell F, McManus H, Donovan B, Stoové M, Hellard M, Pedrana A
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Mar; 103:103655
- "It's not just the hit itself": the social practice of injecting drug use among gay and bisexual men in Australia.
Schroeder SE, Bourne A, Doyle J, Stoove M, Hellard M, Pedrana A
Int J Drug Policy. 2022 Mar; 103:103642
- Reducing liver disease-related deaths in the Asia-Pacific: the important role of decentralised and non-specialist led hepatitis C treatment for cirrhotic patients.
Draper B, Yee WL, Pedrana A, Kyi KP, Qureshi H, Htay H, Naing W, Thompson AJ, Hellard M, Howell J
Lancet Reg Health West Pac. 2022 Mar; 20:100359
- Intent to Be Vaccinated against COVID-19 in Victoria, Australia.
Heath K, Altermatt A, Saich F, Pedrana A, Fletcher-Lartey S, Bowring AL, Stoové M, Danchin M, Kaufman J, Gibney KB, Hellard M
Vaccines (Basel). 2022 Jan; 10(2)
- Exploring hepatitis C virus testing and treatment engagement over time in Melbourne, Australia: a study protocol for a longitudinal cohort study (EC-Experience Cohort study).
O'Keefe D, Gunn J, Ryan K, Djordjevic F, Kerr P, Gold J, Elsum I, Layton C, Chan K, Dietze P, Higgs P, Doyle J, Stoové MA, Hellard M, Pedrana AE
BMJ Open. 2022 Jan; 12(1):e057618
- Assessment of the cost-effectiveness of Australia’s risksharing agreement for direct-acting antiviral treatments for hepatitis C: a modelling study.
Scott N, Palmer A, Tidhar T, Stoové M, Sacks-Davis R, Doyle JS, Pedrana A, Thompson AJ, Wilson DP, Hellard M
Lancet Reg Health - West Pac. 2022 Jan; 18:100316
- Real-world monitoring progress towards the elimination of hepatitis C virus in Australia using sentinel surveillance of primary care clinics; an ecological study of hepatitis C virus antibody tests from 2009 to 2019.
Wilkinson AL, Pedrana A, Traeger MW, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Nguyen L, Polkinghorne V, Doyle JS, Thompson AJ, Howell J, Scott N, Dimech W, Guy R, Hellard M, Stoové M; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of blood borne viruses and sexually transmissible infections (ACCESS)
Epidemiol Infect. 2022 Jan; 150:e7
- Assessing the feasibility, acceptability and impacts of an education program on hepatitis B testing uptake among ethnic Chinese in Australia: results of a randomised controlled pilot study.
Xiao Y, Wallace J, Ahad M, van Gemert C, Thompson AJ, Doyle J, Lam HY, Chan K, Bennett G, Adamson E, Yussf N, Tang A, Pedrana A, Stoove M, Hellard M, Howell J
BMC Public Health. 2021 Oct; 21(1):1861
- Health service utilisation and experiences of stigma among people who inject drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Djordjevic F, Ryan K, Gunn J, Brener L, O'Keefe D, Draper B, Schroeder S, Gold J, Treloar C, Broady T, Dietze P, Hellard M, Pedrana A
J Viral Hepat. 2021 Sep; 28(12):1738-1743
- The Optimise Study: Information access and communication about COVID-19. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Kwong E, Heath K, Altermatt A, Munari S, Merner B, Hill S, Stoové M, Wilson A, Caddy C, Lim M, Vogel J, Power R, Coghlan B, Cheong M, Bradfield Z, Homer C, Pedrana A, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Sep; Report 10:1-13
- A modelling analysis of financial incentives for hepatitis C testing and treatment uptake delivered through a community-based testing campaign.
Palmer AY, Chan K, Gold J, Layton C, Elsum I, Hellard M, Stoove M, Doyle JS, Pedrana A, Scott N; EC Partnership
J Viral Hepat. 2021 Aug; 28(11):1624-1634
- The Optimise Study: Vaccination knowledge, attitudes and beliefs. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Kwong E, Heath K, Altermatt A, Munari S. Merner B, Hill S, Stoové M, Griffiths D, Collie A, Lim M, Eddy S, Meagher N, McDougall C, Marinkovic Chavez K, Carpenter L, Fletcher-Lartey S, Price D, Gibbs L, Shearer F, Power R, Cheong M, Caddy C, Pedrana A, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Aug; Report 9:1-15
- Barriers to hepatitis C treatment among secondary needle and syringe program clients and opportunities to intervene.
Gunn J, McNally S, Ryan J, Layton C, Bryant M, Walker S, O'Mahony C, Pedrana A.
Int J Drug Policy. 2021 Jul; 96:103387
- The introduction of a mandatory mask policy was associated with significantly reduced COVID-19 cases in a major metropolitan city.
Scott N, Saul A, Spelman T, Stoove M, Pedrana A, Saeri A, Grundy E, Smith L, Toole M, McIntyre CR, Crabb BS, Hellard M
PLoS One. 2021 Jul; 16(7):e0253510
- The Optimise Study: Impact of government restrictions on risk mitigation strategies. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Kwong E, Heath K, Altermatt A, Munari S. Merner B, Hill S, Power R, Cheong M, Caddy C, Griffiths D, Collie A, Stoové M, Pedrana A, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Jul; Report 8:1-12
- Outcomes of the CT2 Study: A 'one-stop-shop' for community-based hepatitis C testing and treatment in Yangon, Myanmar.
Draper B, Htay H, Pedrana A, Yee WL, Howell J, Kyi KP, Naing W, Aung KS, Markby J, Easterbrook P, Bowring A, Aung W, Sein YY, Nwe N, Myint KT, Shilton S, Hellard M
Liver Int. 2021 Jun; 41(11):2578-2589
- Implications of HIV self-testing for other sexually transmissible infection testing and broader sexual health needs: a mixed methods study of gay and bisexual men in Australia.
Leitinger D, Ryan K, Wilkinson AL, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Transm Dis. 2021 Jun; 48(6):417-423
- The Optimise Study: The impact of COVID19 on income and finances. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Kwong E, Heath K, Altermatt A, Munari S. Merner B, Hill S, Griffiths D, Collie A, Stoové M, Pedrana A, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Jun; Report 7:1-9
- "It's time!": A qualitative exploration of the acceptability of hepatitis C notification systems to help eliminate hepatitis C.
Walker S, Wallace J, Latham N, Saich F, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Treloar C, Marukutira T, Higgs P, Doyle J, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2021 May; 97:103280
- The Optimise Study: Gendered differences in coping and responding to COVID-19. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Kwong E, Heath K, Altermatt A, Munari S. Merner B, Hill S, Stoové M, Pedrana A, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 May; Report 6:1-10
- Affordable treatment and political commitment are crucial to eliminate hepatitis C globally.
Hellard M, Pedrana A, Draper B
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021 Apr; 6(6):414-416
- The Optimise Study: Social networks and mixing patterns. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Heath K, Altermatt A, Munari S, Merner B, Hill S, Lusher D, Radhitio Sadewo G, Wang P, Pedrana A, Gibney K, Hellard M
The Optimise Study. 2021 Apr; Report 5:1-12
- A mobile phone application for malaria case-based reporting to advance malaria surveillance in Myanmar: a mixed methods evaluation.
Oo WH, Htike W, Cutts JC, Win KM, Thu KM, Oo MC, Hkawng GN, Agius PA, Htoon PP, Scott N, Kearney E, Moreira C, Pedrana A, Stoove M, Thi A, Aung YW, Thein MM, Rosecrans K, Lwin KT, Min AK, Fowkes FJI
Malar J. 2021 Mar; 20(1):167
- A costing analysis of a state-wide, nurse-led hepatitis C treatment model in prison.
Palmer A, Papaluca T, Stoové M, Winter R, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Wilson D, Thompson A, Scott N; EC Victoria Partnership.
Int J Drug Policy. 2021 Mar; 94:103203
- The Optimise Study: Vaccine preparedness. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Heath K, Altermatt A, Merner B, Hill S, Pedrana A, Munari S, Horyniak D, Walker S, Wallace J, Block K, Gibbs L, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Mar; Report 4:1-8
- A global investment framework for the elimination of hepatitis B.
Howell J, Pedrana A, Schroeder SE, Scott N, Aufegger L, Atun R, Baptista-Leite R, Hirnschal G, Hoen E', Hutchinson SJ, Lazarus JV, Olufunmilayo L, Peck R, Sharma M, Sohn AH, Thompson A, Thursz M, Wilson D, Hellard M
J Hepatol. 2021 Mar; 74(3):535-549
- A New Method for Estimating the Incidence of Infectious Diseases.
McManus H, Callander D, Asselin J, McMahon J, Hoy JF, Templeton DJ, Fairley CK, Donovan B, Pedrana AE, Keen P, Wilson DP, Elliott J, Kaldor J, Liaw ST, Petoumenos K, Holt M, Hellard ME, Grulich AE, Carr A, Stoové MA, Guy RJ
Am J Epidemiol. 2021 Feb; 190(7):1386-1395
- Modelling the impact of reducing control measures on the COVID-19 pandemic in a low transmission setting.
Scott N, Palmer A, Delport D, Abeysuriya R, Stuart R, Kerr CC, Ministry D, Klein D, Sacks-Davis R, Heath K, Hainsworth S, Pedrana A, Stoové M, Wilson D, Hellard ME
Med J Aust. 2021 Feb; 214(2):79-83
- The Optimise Study: COVID-19 testing and strategies to improve testing uptake. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Heath K, Altermatt A, Davis A, Pedrana A
Optimise Study. 2021 Feb; Report 3(Feb):1-10
- The phases of hepatitis C elimination: achieving WHO elimination targets.
Pedrana A, Munari S, Stoové M, Doyle J, Hellard M
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2021 Jan; 6(1):6-8
- Letter to the Editor: Recommendations for implementing hepatitis C virus care in homeless shelters: The stakeholder perspective.
Harney B, McColl R, Pedrana A, Morrison E, Doyle J, Hellard M, Higgs P
Hepatol Commun. 2021 Jan; 5(1):146-147
- Increasing hepatitis C testing and linkage to care: Results of a testing campaign with incentives at primary care clinics in Melbourne, Australia.
Chan K, Elsum I, Gold J, Layton C, Accadia L, Bryant M, Gunn J, Djordjevic F, Purcell I, Dicka J, Forrest M, Crawford S, Hellard M, Pedrana A; Eliminate Hepatitis C Partnership
J Viral Hepat. 2021 Jan; 28(3):569-572
- A platform in the use of medicines to treat chronic hepatitis C (PLATINUM C): protocol for a prospective treatment registry of real-world outcomes for hepatitis C.
Ramsay J, Marsh J, Pedrana A, Andric N, Norman R, Cheng W, Webb S, Zeps N, Bellgard M, Graves T, Hellard M, Snelling T
BMC Infect Dis. 2020 Oct; 20(1):802
- Authors' response to Letter to the Editor: "Colombian experience in the management of hepatitis C".
Schroeder S, Pedrana A, Scott N, Hellard M
Liver Int. 2020 Sep; 40(12):3142-3143
- A survey of Australian general practitioners' hepatitis C knowledge and management 2 years after subsidised direct-acting antiviral therapy became available.
Gooey M, Wong E, Pedrana A, Allard N, Doyle J, Hellard M, Wade A
Sex Health. 2020 Aug; 17(4):387-389
- Using digital communication technology to increase HIV testing among men who have sex with men and transgender women: Systematic review and meta-analysis
Veronese V, Ryan KE, Hughes C, Lim MS, Pedrana A, Stoové M
J Med Internet Res. 2020 Jul; 22(7):e14230
- Global hepatitis C elimination: an investment framework.
Pedrana A, Howell J, Scott N, Schroeder S, Kuschel C, Lazarus JV, Atun R, Baptista-Leite R, 't Hoen E, Hutchinson SJ, Aufegger L, Peck R, Sohn AH, Swan T, Thursz M, Lesi O, Sharma M, Thwaites J, Wilson DP, Hellard M
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020 Jul; 5(10):927-939
- A model of the economic benefits of global hepatitis C elimination: an investment case.
Scott N, Kuschel C, Pedrana A, Schroeder S, Howell J, Thompson A, Wilson DP, Hellard M
Lancet Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2020 Jul; 5(10):940-947
- Decentralized, Community-Based Hepatitis C Point-of-Care Testing and Direct-Acting Antiviral Treatment for People Who Inject Drugs and the General Population in Myanmar: Protocol for a Feasibility Study.
Draper BL, Pedrana A, Howell J, Yee WL, Htay H, Aung KS, Shilton S, Kyi KP, Naing W, Hellard M
JMIR Res Protoc. 2020 Jul; 9(7):e16863
- Achieving Hepatitis C Elimination By Using Person-Centered, Nurse-Led Models of Care: A Discussion of Four International Case Studies.
Richmond JA, Gallagher L, McDonald L, OʼSullivan M, Fitzsimmons C, Pedrana A
Gastroenterol Nurs. 2020 Jul; 43(4):303-309
- The impact of universal access to direct-acting antiviral therapy on the hepatitis C cascade of care among individuals attending primary and community health services.
Traeger MW, Pedrana AE, van Santen DK, Doyle JS, Howell J, Thompson AJ, El-Hayek C, Asselin J, Polkinghorne V, Membrey D, Bramwell F, Carter A, Guy R, Stoové MA, Hellard ME; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of Blood-borne Viruses and Sexually Transmitted Infections (ACCESS)
PLoS One. 2020 Jun; 15(6):e0235445
- A strategic framework to ease community-wide Covid-19 suppression measures.
Coghlan B, Majumdar SS, Pedrana A, Hellard ME, Crabb BS
MJA. 2020 Apr; Epub preprint
- Direct assessment of mental health and metabolic syndrome amongst Indonesian adolescents: a study design for a mixed-methods study sampled from school and community settings.
Azzopardi PS, Willenberg L, Wulan N, Devaera Y, Medise B, Riyanti A, Ansariadi A, Sawyer S, Wiguna T, Kaligis F, Fisher J, Tran T, Agius PA, Borschmann R, Brown A, Cini K, Clifford S, Kennedy EC, Pedrana A, Pham MD, Wake M, Zimmet P, Durrant K, Wiweko B, Luchters S
Glob Health Action. 2020 Mar; 13(1):1732665
- Australia needs to increase testing to achieve hepatitis C elimination.
Scott N, Sacks-Davis R, Wade AJ, Stoové M, Pedrana A, Doyle JS, Thompson AJ, Wilson DP, Hellard ME
Med J Aust. 2020 Mar; 212(8):365-370
- A quasi-experimental text messaging trial to improve adolescent sexual and reproductive health and smoking knowledge in Indonesia.
Pedrana AE, Pina J, Padmawati RS, Zuhrina R, Lazuardi L, Lim MSC, Hellard ME, Prabandari YS
Sex Health. 2020 Feb; 17(2):167-177
- HIV incidence and factors associated with testing positive for HIV among men who have sex with men and transgender women in Myanmar: data from community-based HIV testing services.
Veronese V, Traeger M, Oo ZM, Tun TT, Oo NN, Maung H, Hughes C, Pedrana A, Stoové M
J Int AIDS Soc. 2020 Feb; 23(2):e25454
- Treading lightly: Finding the best way to use public health surveillance of hepatitis C diagnoses to increase access to cure.
Stoové M, Wallace J, Higgs P, Pedrana A, Goutzamanis S, Latham N, Scott N, Treloar C, Crawford S, Doyle J, Hellard M
Int J Drug Policy. 2020 Jan; 75:102596
- The Elimination of Hepatitis C as a Public Health Threat.
Hellard M, Schroeder SE, Pedrana A, Doyle J, Aitken C
Cold Spring Harb Perspect Med. 2020 Jan; 10(4):a036939
- Staying hepatitis C negative: a systematic review and meta-analysis of cure and reinfection in people who inject drugs.
Latham NH, Doyle JS, Palmer AY, Vanhommerig JW, Agius P, Goutzamanis S, Li Z, Pedrana A, Gottfredsson M, Bouscaillou J, Luhmann N, Mazhnaya A, Altice FL, Saeed S, Klein M, Falade-Nwulia OO, Aspinall E, Hutchinson S, Hellard ME, Sacks-Davis R
Liver Int. 2019 Dec; 39(12):2244-2260
- Point-of-care Hepatitis C virus testing and linkage to treatment in an Australian inner-city emergency department.
Hutton J, Doyle J, Zordan R, Weiland T, Cocco A, Howell J, Iser S, Snell J, Fry S, New K, Sloane R, Jarman M, Phan D, Tran S, Pedrana A, Williams B, Johnson J, Glasgow S, Thompson A
Int J Drug Policy. 2019 Oct; 72:84-90
- Point-of-care hepatitis C testing from needle and syringe programs: An Australian feasibility study.
Williams B, Howell J, Doyle J, Thompson AJ, Draper B, Layton C, Latham N, Bramwell F, Membrey D, Mcpherson M, Roney J, Stoové M, Hellard ME, Pedrana A
Int J Drug Policy. 2019 Oct; 72:91-98
- A comparative, retrospective analysis of HIV testing among gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men in Melbourne, Australia.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Chow E, Read T, Chen M, Locke P, Leitinger D, Bradshaw C, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Fairley CK, Stoové M
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2019 Oct; 43(5):419-423
- Innovative strategies for the elimination of viral hepatitis at a national level: a country case series.
Schroeder ES, Pedrana A, Scott N, Wilson D, Kuschel C, Aufegger L, Atun R, Baptista-Leite R, Butsashvili M, El-Sayed M, Getahun A, Hamid S, Hammad R, 't Hoen E, Hutchinson SJ, Lazarus JV, Lesi O, Li W, Mohamed RB, Olafsson S, Peck R, Sohn AH, Sonderup M, Spearman CW, Swan T, Thursz M, Walker T, Hellard M, Howell J
Liver Int. 2019 Aug; 39(10):1818-1836
- Assessment of service refinement and its impact on repeat HIV testing by client's access to Australia's universal healthcare system: a retrospective cohort study.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Asselin J, Leitinger DP, Locke P, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Stoové M
J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Aug; 22(8):e25353
- Australia’s progress towards hepatitis C elimination. Annual Report 2019
Burnet Institute and Kirby Institute (Prepared by Wilkinson A, Edited by Margaret Hellard M, Stoové, M, Dore G, Grebely J, Pedrana A, Doyle J, Thompson A, Hajarizadeh B, Alavi M, Aitken C)
Annual Report. 2019 Jul
- Hepatitis C risk perceptions and attitudes towards reinfection among HIV-diagnosed gay and bisexual men in Melbourne, Australia.
Schroeder SE, Higgs P, Winter R, Brown G, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Doyle J, Stoové M
J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 May; 22(5):e25288
- Treatment access is only the first step to hepatitis C elimination: experience of universal anti-viral treatment access in Australia.
Doyle JS, Scott N, Sacks-Davis R, Pedrana AE, Thompson AJ, Hellard ME; Eliminate Hepatitis C Partnership
Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2019 Mar; 49(9):1223-1229
- Community-based, point-of-care hepatitis C testing: perspectives and preferences of people who inject drugs.
Latham NH, Pedrana A, Doyle JS, Howell J, Williams B, Higgs P, Thompson AJ, Hellard ME
J Viral Hepat. 2019 Feb; 26(7):919-922
- Assessing the effect of the Expanding Maternal and Neonatal Survival program on improving stabilization and referral for maternal and newborn complications in Indonesia.
Pedrana A, Qomariyah SN, Tholandi M, Wijayanto B, Gandawidjaja T, Amelia D, Apriatni M, Sudirman S, Zazri A, Sethi R, Emerson M, Ahmed S
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Feb; 144 Suppl 1:30-41
- Presence of doctors and obstetrician/gynecologists for patients with maternal complications in hospitals in six provinces of Indonesia.
Pedrana A, Tholandi M, Qomariyah SN, Sethi R, Hyre A, Amelia D, Suhowatsky S, Ahmed S
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Feb; 144 Suppl 1:42-50
- The effect of Expanding Maternal and Neonatal Survival interventions on improving the coverage of labor monitoring and complication prevention practices in hospitals in Indonesia: A difference-in-difference analysis.
Tholandi M, Sethi R, Pedrana A, Qomariyah SN, Amelia D, Kaslam P, Sudirman S, Apriatni MS, Rahmanto A, Emerson M, Ahmed S
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Feb; 144 Suppl 1:21-29
- Changes in obstetric case fatality and early newborn mortality rates in hospitals after the implementation of the Expanding Maternal and Neonatal Survival program in Indonesia: Results from a health information system.
Ahmed S, Tholandi M, Pedrana A, Zazri A, Parmawaty N, Rahmanto A, Sethi R
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Feb; 144 Suppl 1:13-20
- Assessment of knowledge of evidence-based maternal and newborn care practices among midwives and nurses in six provinces in Indonesia.
Reena Sethi, Maya Tholandi, Dwirani Amelia, Alisa Pedrana, Saifuddin Ahmed
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2019 Feb; 144 Suppl 1:51-58
- Outcomes of treatment for hepatitis C in prisoners using a nurse-led, state-wide model of care.
Papaluca T, McDonald L, Craigie A, Gibson A, Desmond P, Wong D, Winter R, Scott N, Howell J, Doyle J, Pedrana A, Lloyd A, Stoové M, Hellard M, Iser D, Thompson A
J Hepatol. 2019 Jan; 70(5):839-846
- Aiming for the elimination of viral hepatitis in Australia, New Zealand, the Pacific Islands and Territories: where are we now and barriers to meeting WHO targets by 2030.
Howell J, Pedrana A, Cowie BC, Doyle J, Getehun A, Ward J, Gane E, Cunningham C, Wallace J, Lee A, Malani J, Thompson A, Hellard ME
J Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2019 Jan; 34(1):40-48
- Pathways to ensure universal and affordable access to hepatitis C treatment.
Douglass CH, Pedrana A, Lazarus JV, 't Hoen EFM, Hammad R, Leite RB, Hill A, Hellard M
BMC Med. 2018 Oct; 16(1):175
- Eliminating hepatitis C: the importance of frequent testing of people who inject drugs in high prevalence settings.
Scott N, Sacks-Davis R, Pedrana A, Doyle J, Thompson A, Hellard M
J Viral Hepat. 2018 Jul; 25(12):1472-1480
- Measuring and understanding the attitudes of Australian gay and bisexual men towards biomedical HIV prevention using cross-sectional data and factor analyses.
Wilkinson AL, Draper BL, Pedrana AE, Asselin J, Holt M, Hellard ME, Stoové M
Sex Transm Infect. 2018 Jun; 94(4):309-3014
- Eliminating HIV/HCV co-infection in gay and bisexual men: is it achievable through scaling up treatment?
Sacks-Davis R, Pedrana AE, Scott N, Doyle JS, Hellard ME
Expert Rev Anti Infect Ther. 2018 May; 16(5):411-422
- Implications of survey labels and categorisations for understanding drug use in the context of sex among gay and bisexual men in Melbourne, Australia.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Pedrana A, Quinn B, Dietze P, Hellard M, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2018 May; 55:183-186
- Linkage and retention in HCV care for HIV-infected populations: early data from the DAA era.
Sacks-Davis R, Doyle JS, Rauch A, Beguelin C, Pedrana AE, Matthews GV, Prins M, van der Valk M, Klein MB, Saeed S, Lacombe K, Chkhartishvili N, Altice FL, Hellard ME
J Int AIDS Soc. 2018 Apr; 21 Suppl 2:e25051
- Heterogeneity in hepatitis C treatment prescribing and uptake in Australia: a geospatial analysis of a year of unrestricted treatment access.
Scott N, Hainsworth SW, Sacks-Davis R, Pedrana A, Doyle J, Wade A, Hellard M
J Virus Erad. 2018 Apr; 4(2):108-114
- Comfort Relying on HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis and Treatment as Prevention for Condomless Sex: Results of an Online Survey of Australian Gay and Bisexual Men.
Holt M, Draper BL, Pedrana AE, Wilkinson AL, Stoové M
AIDS Behav. 2018 Mar; 22(11):3617-3626
- Acceptability of Peer-Delivered HIV Testing and Counselling Among Men Who Have Sex with Men (MSM) and Transgender Women (TW) in Myanmar.
Veronese V, Oo ZM, Thein ZW, Aung PP, Draper BL, Hughes C, Ryan C, Pedrana A, Stoové M
AIDS Behav. 2018 Feb; 22(8):2426-2434
- Declining prevalence of undiagnosed HIV in Melbourne: results from community-based bio-behavioural studies of gay and bisexual men.
Stoové M, Asselin J, Pedrana A, Lea T, Hellard M, Wilson D, Prestage G, de Wit J, Holt M
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2018 Feb; 42(1):57-61
- Achieving hepatitis C elimination in Europe - to treatment scale up and beyond.
Hellard M, Scott N, Sacks Davis R, Pedrana A
J Hepatol. 2018 Feb; 68(3):383-385
- Acceptability and HIV prevention benefits of a peer-based model of rapid point of care HIV testing for Australian gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men.
Leitinger D, Ryan KE, Brown G, Pedrana A, Wilkinson AL, Ryan C, Hellard M, Stoové M
AIDS Behav. 2018 Jan; 22(1):178-189
- Trial and error: evaluating and refining a community model of HIV testing in Australia.
Ryan KE, Pedrana A, Leitinger D, Wilkinson AL, Locke P, Hellard ME, Stoové M
BMC Health Serv Res. 2017 Oct; 17(1):692
- Pathways to the elimination of hepatitis C: prioritising access for all.
Pedrana AE, Sacks-Davis R, Doyle JS, Hellard ME
Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2017 Oct; 10(10):1023-1026
- Reaching hepatitis C virus elimination targets requires health system interventions to enhance the care cascade.
Scott N, Doyle JS, Wilson DP, Wade A, Howell J, Pedrana A, Thompson A, Hellard ME
Int J Drug Policy. 2017 Sep; 47:107-116
- Targeted direct-acting antiviral treatment for chronic hepatitis C: a financial reality or an obstacle to elimination?
Hellard M, Pedrana A, Scott N
J Hepatol. 2017 Feb; 66(2):270-272
- A longitudinal cohort study of HIV 'treatment as prevention' in gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men: the Treatment with Antiretrovirals and their Impact on Positive And Negative men (TAIPAN) study protocol.
Callander D, Stoové M, Carr A, Hoy JF, Petoumenos K, Hellard M, Elliot J, Templeton DJ, Liaw S, Wilson DP, Grulich A, Cooper DA, Pedrana A, Donovan B, McMahon J, Prestage G, Holt M, Fairley CK, McKellar-Stewart N, Ruth S, Asselin J, Keen P, Cooper C, Allan B, Kaldor JM, Guy R
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Dec; 16(1):752
- Reach, engagement, and effectiveness: a systematic review of evaluation methodologies used in health promotion via social networking sites.
Lim MS, Wright CJ, Carrotte ER, Pedrana AE
Health Promot J Aust. 2016 Dec; 27(3):187-197
- Characteristics of gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men testing and retesting at Australia’s first shop-front rapid point-of-care HIV testing service.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Leitinger D, El-Hayek C, Ryan C, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Health. 2016 Aug; 13(6):560-567
- The Impact of a Social Marketing Campaign on HIV and Sexually Transmissible Infection Testing Among Men Who Have Sex With Men in Australia.
Wilkinson AL, Pedrana AE, El-Hayek C, Vella AM, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Fairley CK, Read TR, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Transm Dis. 2016 Jan; 43(1):49-56
- Successes in sexual health communications development, programmatic implementation and evaluation in the Torres Strait region 2006 to 2012.
Fagan PS, Robertson HK, Pedrana AE, Raulli A, Crouch AA
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2015 Jun; 39(3):270-276
- The use of social networking platforms for sexual health promotion: identifying key strategies for successful user engagement.
Veale HJ, Sacks-Davis R, Weaver ERN, Pedrana AE, Stoové MA, Hellard ME
BMC Public Health. 2015 Feb; 15(1):85
- Young people's comparative recognition and recall of an Australian Government Sexual Health Campaign.
Lim MS, Gold J, Bowring AL, Pedrana AE, Hellard ME
Int J STD AIDS. 2015 Jan; 26(6):398-401
- Effects of HIV antiretroviral therapy on sexual and injecting risk-taking behaviour: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Doyle JS, Degenhardt L, Pedrana AE, McBryde ES, Guy R, Stoové MA, Weaver E, Grulich AE, Lo YR, Hellard M
Clin Infect Dis. 2014 Aug; 59(10):1483-1494
- PRONTO! Community-Based HIV Rapid Testing Evaluation Report - Stage 1.
Ryan K, Leitinger D, Pedrana A, Wilkinson A, Stoové M
Report for the Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute: Melbourne, Australia. 2014 Jul
- Outcome evaluation of HIV prevention initiatives 2012 – 2013 in men who have sex with men in Victoria.
Vella A., Wilkinson A., Pedrana, A., Stoové, M
Technical Report for Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute: Melbourne, Australia. 2014 Jul
- Moving towards HIV treatment as prevention.
Stoové MA, Pedrana AE, Hellard ME
Microbiol Aust. 2014 May; 35(2):88-90
- No Drama: Key Elements to the Success of an HIV/STI-Prevention Mass-Media Campaign.
Pedrana AE, Hellard ME, Higgs P, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Stoové M
Qual Health Res. 2014 Apr; 24(5):695-705
- Making the most of a brave new world: Opportunities and considerations for using Twitter as a public health monitoring tool.
Stoové MA, Pedrana AE
Prev Med. 2014 Mar; 63:109-111
- High rates of hepatitis C virus reinfection and spontaneous clearance of reinfection in people who inject drugs: a prospective cohort study.
Sacks-Davis R, Aitken CK, Higgs P, Spelman T, Pedrana AE, Bowden S, Bharadwaj M, Nivarthi UK, Suppiah V, George J, Grebely J, Drummer HE, Hellard M
PLoS One. 2013 Nov; 8(11):e80216
- Sexual Health Promotion on Social Networking Sites: A Process Evaluation of the FaceSpace Project.
Nguyen P, Gold J, Pedrana A, Chang S, Howard S, Ilic O, Hellard M, Stoové M
J Adolesc Health. 2013 Apr; 53(1):98-104
- Increases in newly acquired HIV infections in Victoria, Australia: epidemiological evidence of successful prevention?
Feigin A, El-Hayek C, Hellard M, Pedrana A, Donnan E, Fairley C, Tee BK, Stoové M
Sex Health. 2013 Apr; 10(2):166-170
- Queer as F**k: Reaching and Engaging Gay Men in Sexual Health Promotion through Social Networking Sites.
Pedrana A, Hellard M, Gold J, Ata N, Chang S, Howard S, Asselin J, Ilic O, Batrouney C, Stoové M
J Med Internet Res. 2013 Feb; 15(2):e25
- Stop the Drama Downunder: A Social Marketing Campaign Increases HIV/Sexually Transmitted Infection Knowledge and Testing in Australian Gay Men.
Pedrana A, Hellard M, Guy R, El-Hayek C, Gouillou M, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Nguyen P, StoovÃ¨ M
Sex Transm Dis. 2012 Aug; 39(8):651-658
- Mobile safe injecting facilities in Barcelona and Berlin.
Dietze P, Winter R, Pedrana A, Leicht A, MajÃ³ I Roca X, Brugal MT.
Int J Drug Policy. 2012 Mar; 23(4):257-260
- Developing health promotion interventions on social networking sites: recommendations from The FaceSpace Project.
Gold J, Pedrana AE, Stoové MA, Chang S, Howard S, Asselin J, Ilic O, Batrouney C, Hellard ME
J Med Internet Res. 2012 Feb; 14(1):e30
- High rates of undiagnosed HIV infections in a community sample of gay men in Melbourne, Australia.
Pedrana AE, Hellard ME, Wilson K, Guy R, StoovÃ© M
JAIDS. 2012 Jan; 59(1):94-99
- The difference in self-reported and biological measured HIV prevalence: Implications for HIV prevention.
Pedrana AE, Hellard ME, Guy R, Wilson K, Stoové M
AIDS Behav. 2012 Jan; 16(6):1454-1463
- Registered post achieved a higher response rate than normal mail--a randomized controlled trial.
Pedrana A, Hellard M, Giles M
J Clin Epidemiol. 2008 Sep; 61(9):896-899
- Enhanced case detection for newly acquired hepatitis C infection: epidemiological findings and health service implications.
Guy R, Devadason D, Lim M, Higgins N, Pedrana A, Gibson K, Lewis J, Spelman T, White B, Kaldor J, Hellard M
Commun Dis Intell. 2008 Jun; 32(2):250-256
- Risk behaviours and blood borne virus exposure for transient workers in rural Victoria.
Pedrana A, Aitken C, Higgs P, Hellard M
Aust J Rural Health. 2008 Jun; 16(3):143-149
News Articles (31)