Jason joined Burnet Institute after eight years of working in HIV community-based prevention and support in both Toronto and Melbourne.
Building on this experience, Jason joined the Burnet in 2013 to lead the national coordination of the COUNT study, which investigated the prevalence of undiagnosed HIV among gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men (GBM) in Australian cities.
Since then, he has developed expertise in the working with surveillance data and systems, and as the Manager of the Surveillance and Evaluation Working Group leads the ACCESS project, a national sentinel surveillance system of clinical services and laboratories, monitoring blood-borne viruses (BBV) and sexually transmissible infections (STI).
Jason has an interest in the epidemiology of BBVs and STIs among GBM and the use of surveillance data to monitor and evaluate new interventions.
- 2019: Master of Epidemiology, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 2005: Grad Dip Health Promotion, Centennial College, Toronto, Canada
- 2004: BSc (Hons), University of Toronto, Canada
- Low incidence of hepatitis C among a cohort of HIV-negative gay and bisexual men using HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP) in Melbourne, Australia, and the contribution of sexual transmission.
Cornelisse VJ, Traeger MW, Wright EJ, Murphy D, Stoove M, Hellard M, Sacks-Davis R, Asselin J, Fairley CK, Doyle J, Sasawdeusz J
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2021 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- A New Method for Estimating the Incidence of Infectious Diseases.
McManus H, Callander D, Asselin J, McMahon J, Hoy JF, Templeton DJ, Fairley CK, Donovan B, Pedrana AE, Keen P, Wilson DP, Elliott J, Kaldor J, Liaw ST, Petoumenos K, Holt M, Hellard ME, Grulich AE, Carr A, Stoové MA, Guy RJ
Am J Epidemiol. 2021 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Micro-elimination of hepatitis C among people with HIV coinfection: declining incidence and prevalence accompanying a multi-center treatment scale-up trial.
Doyle JS, van Santen DK, Iser D, Sasadeusz J, O'Reilly M, Harney B, Traeger MW, Roney J, Cutts JC, Bowring AL, Winter R, Medland N, Fairley CK, Moore R, Tee B, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Hoy JF, Matthews GV, Prins M, Stoové MA, Hellard ME
Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Sustained, low prevalence of undiagnosed HIV among gay and bisexual men in Sydney, Australia coincident with increased testing and pre-exposure prophylaxis use: results from repeated, bio-behavioural studies 2014-2018.
Keen P, Lee E, Grulich AE, Prestage G, Guy R, Stoové MA, Bavinton BR, Asselin J, Hammoud MA, Broady T, Duck T, Holt M
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2020 Jul; 85(3):e41-e47
- The impact of universal access to direct-acting antiviral therapy on the hepatitis C cascade of care among individuals attending primary and community health services.
Traeger MW, Pedrana AE, van Santen DK, Doyle JS, Howell J, Thompson AJ, El-Hayek C, Asselin J, Polkinghorne V, Membrey D, Bramwell F, Carter A, Guy R, Stoové MA, Hellard ME; EC Victoria Partnership and the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance of Blood-borne Viruses and Sexually Transmitted Infections (ACCESS)
PLoS One. 2020 Jun; 15(6):e0235445
- Privacy-Preserving Record Linkage of Deidentified Records Within a Public Health Surveillance System: Evaluation Study.
Nguyen L, Stoové M, Boyle D, Callander D, McManus H, Asselin J, Guy R, Donovan B, Hellard M, El-Hayek C
J Med Internet Res. 2020 Jun; 22(6):e16757
- Trends in human immunodeficiency virus and sexually transmitted Infection testing among gay, bisexual, and other men who have sex with men after rapid scale-up of preexposure prophylaxis in Victoria, Australiaia.
Ryan KE, Asselin J, Fairley CK, Armishaw J, Lal L, Nguyen L, Murphy D, Traeger M, Hellard M, Hoy J, Stoové M, Wright E; PrEPX Study team
Sex Transm Dis. 2020 Apr; 47(8):516-552
- Gaps in the HIV diagnosis and care cascade for migrants in Australia, 2013-2017: A cross-sectional study.
Marukutira T, Gray RT, Douglass C, El-Hayek C, Moreira C, Asselin J, Donovan B, Vickers T, Spelman T, Crowe S, Guy R, Stoové M, Hellard M
PLoS Med. 2020 Mar; 17(3):e1003044
- Assessment of service refinement and its impact on repeat HIV testing by client's access to Australia's universal healthcare system: a retrospective cohort study.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Asselin J, Leitinger DP, Locke P, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Stoové M
J Int AIDS Soc. 2019 Aug; 22(8):e25353
- Association of HIV Preexposure Prophylaxis With Incidence of Sexually Transmitted Infections Among Individuals at High Risk of HIV Infection.
Traeger MW, Cornelisse VJ, Asselin J, Price B, Roth NJ, Willcox J, Tee BK, Fairley CK, Chang CC, Armishaw J, Vujovic O, Penn M, Cundill P, Forgan-Smith G, Gall J, Pickett C, Lal L, Mak A, Spelman TD, Nguyen L, Murphy DA, Ryan KE, El-Hayek C, West M, Ruth S, Batrouney C, Lockwood JT, Hoy JF, Hellard ME, Stoové MA, Wright EJ; PrEPX Study Team
JAMA. 2019 Apr; 321(14):1380-1390
- Evaluation of PrEP eligibility criteria using sexually transmissible infections as HIV risk markers at enrolment in PrEPX, a large Australian HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis trial.
Cornelisse VJ, Fairley CK, Stoove M, Asselin J, Chow EPF, Price B, Roth NJ, Willcox J, Tee BK, Penn M, Chang CC, Armishaw J, Forgan-Smith G, Wright EJ; PrEPX study team
Clin Infect Dis. 2018 Nov; 67(12):1847-52
- Monitoring the Control of Sexually Transmissible Infections and Blood-Borne Viruses: Protocol for the Australian Collaboration for Coordinated Enhanced Sentinel Surveillance (ACCESS).
Callander D, Moreira C, El-Hayek C, Asselin J, van Gemert C, Watchirs Smith L, Nguyen L, Dimech W, Boyle DI, Donovan B, Stoové M, Hellard M, Guy R
JMIR Res Protoc. 2018 Nov; 7(11):e11028
- Measuring and understanding the attitudes of Australian gay and bisexual men towards biomedical HIV prevention using cross-sectional data and factor analyses.
Wilkinson AL, Draper BL, Pedrana AE, Asselin J, Holt M, Hellard ME, Stoové M
Sex Transm Infect. 2018 Jun; 94(4):309-3014
- Protocol for an HIV Pre-exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) Population Level Intervention Study in Victoria Australia: The PrEPX Study.
Ryan KE, Mak A, Stoove M, Price B, Fairley CK, Ruth S, Lal L, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Nguyen L, Batrouney C, Wilson D, Lockwood J, Murphy D, Cornelisse VJ, Roth N, Willcox J, Chang CC, Armishaw J, Tee BK, Penn M, Forgan-Smith G, Williams C, Montgomery J, Byron K, Coelho A, Allen B, Wiggins J, Kelsall J, Vujovic O, West M, Pierce AB, Gallant D, Bell C, de Wit JBF, Hoy JF, Wesselingh SL, Grant RM, Wright EJ
Front Public Health. 2018 May; 6:151
- Declining prevalence of undiagnosed HIV in Melbourne: results from community-based bio-behavioural studies of gay and bisexual men.
Stoové M, Asselin J, Pedrana A, Lea T, Hellard M, Wilson D, Prestage G, de Wit J, Holt M
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2018 Feb; 42(1):57-61
- A longitudinal cohort study of HIV 'treatment as prevention' in gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men: the Treatment with Antiretrovirals and their Impact on Positive And Negative men (TAIPAN) study protocol.
Callander D, Stoové M, Carr A, Hoy JF, Petoumenos K, Hellard M, Elliot J, Templeton DJ, Liaw S, Wilson DP, Grulich A, Cooper DA, Pedrana A, Donovan B, McMahon J, Prestage G, Holt M, Fairley CK, McKellar-Stewart N, Ruth S, Asselin J, Keen P, Cooper C, Allan B, Kaldor JM, Guy R
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Dec; 16(1):752
- The Impact of a Social Marketing Campaign on HIV and Sexually Transmissible Infection Testing Among Men Who Have Sex With Men in Australia.
Wilkinson AL, Pedrana AE, El-Hayek C, Vella AM, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Fairley CK, Read TR, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Transm Dis. 2016 Jan; 43(1):49-56
- Stop the Drama Downunder: A Social Marketing Campaign Increases HIV/Sexually Transmitted Infection Knowledge and Testing in Australian Gay Men.
Pedrana A, Hellard M, Guy R, El-Hayek C, Gouillou M, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Nguyen P, StoovÃ¨ M
Sex Transm Dis. 2012 Aug; 39(8):651-658
- Developing health promotion interventions on social networking sites: recommendations from The FaceSpace Project.
Gold J, Pedrana AE, Stoové MA, Chang S, Howard S, Asselin J, Ilic O, Batrouney C, Hellard ME
J Med Internet Res. 2012 Feb; 14(1):e30
News Articles (7)