Peter has a background in community development and has worked with marginalised populations for over 20 years in Melbourne, Sydney, Vietnam, Indonesia and China.
His field based research has been focused on risk and people who inject drugs. Peter is teaching undergraduate and postgraduate students in Public Health at La Trobe University. He maintains involvement in various studies of cohorts of injecting drug users in Melbourne.
- Adjunct Research Fellow, Department of EPM, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- Adjunct Research Fellow, National Drug Research Institute, Curtin University
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Public Health, La Trobe University
- BSW, University of New South Wales, Australia
- MA, Victoria University, Australia
- PhD, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- Increasing amphetamine use and forensic involvement among clients of three residential Indigenous alcohol and other drug services in Victoria, Australia.
Goutzamanis S, Higgs P, Richardson M, MacLean S
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2018 Mar
- Internal funding required to improve HIV care.
Brownstein H, Higgs P
J Viral Hepat. 2018 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Blood-borne virus transmission in an urban, culturally diverse neighbourhood: results from a cross-sectional bio-behavioural survey using innovative outreach methods in a hard-to-reach population.
Peach E, Cogger S, Byron K, Francis P, O'Keefe D, Higgs P, Stoove M, Elmore K, Dietze P, Hellard M
Sex health. 2018 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Narratives of Young Men With Injecting Drug Use Histories Leaving Adult Prison.
Walker S, Higgs P, Stoové M, Wilson M
Int J Offender Ther Comp Criminol. 2018 Jan; Epub ahead of print:306624X17747829
- Injecting drug use continues in older users too.
Higgs P, Dietze P
BMJ. 2017 Oct; 359:j4738
- New hepatitis C antiviral treatments eliminate the virus.
Doyle JS, Thompson AJ, Higgs P, Stoove M, Dietze PM, Hellard ME
Lancet. 2017 Jul; 390(10092):358-359
- "Just not all ice users do that": investigating perceptions and potential harms of Australia's Ice Destroys Lives campaign in two studies.
Douglass CH, Early EC, Wright CJC, Palmer A, Higgs P, Quinn B, Dietze PM, Lim MSC
Harm Reduct J. 2017 Jul; 14(1):45
- Longitudinal changes in personal wellbeing in a cohort of people who inject drugs.
Scott N, Carrotte ER, Higgs P, Stoové MA, Aitken CK, Dietze PM
PLoS One. 2017 May; 12(5):e0178474
- "We Might Get Some Free Beers": Experience and Motivation for Transactional Sex Among Behaviorally Bisexual Men in Vientiane, Laos.
Bowring AL, Pasomsouk N, Hughes C, van Gemert C, Higgs P, Sychareun V, Hellard M, Power R
Arch Sex Behav. 2017 May; 46(4):1047-1059
- The effects of needle-sharing and opioid substitution therapy on incidence of hepatitis C virus infection and reinfection in people who inject drugs.
Aitken CK, Agius PA, Higgs PG, Stoové MA, Bowden DS, Dietze PM
Epidemiol Infect. 2017 Mar; 145(4):796-801
- The role of respect in interactions with police among substance-using African refugee young people in Melbourne, Australia
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P
J Ethn Crim Just. 2017 Feb; 15(2):185-204
- Direct-acting antiviral treatment for HCV.
Goutzamanis S, Doyle J, Thompson A, Hellard M, Higgs P
Lancet Infect Dis. 2016 Dec; 16(12):1325-6
- Field engagement further facilitates hepatitis B vaccination completion: Letter in response to: Day et al. (in press).
Higgs P, Doyle J, Luppi J, Dietze P, Hellard M
J Clin Virol. 2016 Jul; 82:64-65
- The introduction of CCTV and associated changes
in heroin purchase and injection settings in Footscray,
Scott N, Higgs P, Caulkins JP, Aitken C, Cogger S, Dietze P
J Exp Criminol. 2016 Apr; 12(2):265-275
- Letter: new treatments for hepatitis C have implications for quality of life in people who inject drugs.
Higgs P, Wright C, Hellard M
Aliment Pharmacol Ther. 2016 Apr; 43(7):840-841
- Heavy alcohol consumption among marginalised African refugee young people in Melbourne, Australia: motivations for drinking, experiences of alcohol-related problems and strategies for managing drinking.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T
Ethn Health. 2016 Mar; 21(3):284-299
- It stops with us: Peer responses increase availability of sterile injecting equipment.
Higgs P, Cogger S, Kelsall J, Gavin N, Elmore K, Francis P, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2016 Jan; 29:96-97
- Age-related differences in patterns of criminal activity among a large sample of polydrug injectors in Australia.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Degenhardt. L, Agius P, Higgs P, Bruno R, Alati R, Burns L
J Subst Abuse. 2016 Jan; 22(1):48-56
- Patterns of, and Factors Associated With, Illicit Pharmaceutical Opioid Analgesic Use in a Prospective Cohort of People Who Inject Drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Agius PA, Degenhardt L, Reddel S, Higgs P, Aitken C, Stoové M, Dietze P
Subst Use Misuse. 2015 Nov; 50(13):1650-1659
- Going tobacco free in Australian prisons – increasing tattooing harm?
Treloar C, Baldry E, Higgs P, Dietze P, Stoové M, Lloyd A
Int J Prisoner Health. 2015 Nov; 11(4):Viewpoint
- Behavioural research to inform understanding of hepatitis C resistance.
Higgs P, Dwyer R, Cogger S, Hellard M, Maher L
Lancet Infect Dis. 2015 Nov; 15(11):1260-1261
- Factors Influencing Access to Sexual Health Care Among Behaviorally Bisexual Men in Vientiane, Laos: A Qualitative Exploration.
Bowring AL, Pasomsouk N, Higgs P, Sychareun V, Hellard M, Power R
Asia Pac J Public Health. 2015 Nov; 27(8):820-834
- Injecting buprenorphine-naloxone film: Findings from an explorative qualitative study.
White N, Flaherty I, Higgs P, Larance B, Nielsen S, Degenhardt L, Ali R, Lintzeris N
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2015 Jul; 34(6):623-629
- Hepatitis C transmission and treatment as prevention - The role of the injecting network.
Hellard M, McBryde E, Sacks Davis R, Rolls DA, Higgs P, Aitken C, Thompson A, Doyle J, Pattison P, Robins G
Int J Drug Policy. 2015 May; 26(10):958-962
- 'It’s always just there in your face’: young people’s
views on porn.
Walker S, Temple-Smith M, Higgs P, Sanci L
Sex Health. 2015 May; 12(3):200-206
- How "Hidden" Are Unobserved Networks Among People Who Inject Drugs?
Higgs P, Sacks-Davis R, Aitken C, Hellard M
Am J Public Health. 2015 Apr; 105(6):e3
- Oral health-related quality of life among an Australian sample of people who inject drugs.
Truong A, Higgs P, Cogger S, Jamieson L, Burns L, Dietze P
J Public Health Dent. 2015 Mar; 75(3):218-24
- Further research required to determine unique factors associated with dental care access among deprived populations.
Truong A, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P
Public Health. 2014 Nov; 128(12):1131-1133
- Experiences of and Attitudes Toward Injecting Drug Use Among Marginalized African Migrant and Refugee Youth in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T, Seid G
J Ethn Subst Abuse. 2014 Oct; 13(4):405-429
- The impact of injecting networks on hepatitis C transmission and treatment in people who inject drugs.
Hellard M, Rolls DA, Sacks-Davis R, Robins G, Pattison P, Higgs P, Aitken C, McBryde E
Hepatology. 2014 Aug; 60(6):1861-1870
- No Drama: Key Elements to the Success of an HIV/STI-Prevention Mass-Media Campaign.
Pedrana AE, Hellard ME, Higgs P, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Stoové M
Qual Health Res. 2014 Apr; 24(5):695-705
- The long winding road of opioid substitution therapy implementation in South-East Asia: challenges to scale up.
Reid G, Sharma M, Higgs P
J Pub Health Res. 2014 Apr; 3(1):204
- Urbanisation and sexual health: Understanding bisexually active men in Hanoi, Vietnam.
Higgs P, Reddel S, Pham HV, Khoat VD, Hellard M
Health Psychol Behav Med. 2014 Apr; 2(1):613-622
- Does informing people who inject drugs of their hepatitis C status influence their injecting behaviour? Analysis of the Networks II study.
Aspinall EJ, Weir A, Sacks-Davis R, Spelman T, Grebely J, Higgs P, Hutchinson SJ, Hellard ME
Int J Drug Policy. 2014 Jan; 25(1):179-182
- Detection of HCV-Specific IFN-gamma Responses in HCV Antibody and HCV RNA Negative Injecting Drug Users.
Flynn JK, Sacks-Davis R, Higgs P, Aitken C, Moneer S, Suppiah V, Tracy L, Ffrench R, Bowden S, Drummer H, George J, Bharadwaj M, Hellard M
Hepat Mon. 2014 Jan; 14(1):e14678
- High rates of hepatitis C virus reinfection and spontaneous clearance of reinfection in people who inject drugs: a prospective cohort study.
Sacks-Davis R, Aitken CK, Higgs P, Spelman T, Pedrana AE, Bowden S, Bharadwaj M, Nivarthi UK, Suppiah V, George J, Grebely J, Drummer HE, Hellard M
PLoS One. 2013 Nov; 8(11):e80216
- Establishing the Melbourne injecting drug user cohort study (MIX): rationale, methods, and baseline and twelve-month follow-up results.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Jenkinson R, Degenhardt L, Stoové M, Kerr T, Hickman M, Aitken C, Dietze P
Harm Reduct J. 2013 Jun; 10(1):11
- The relationship between age and risky injecting behaviours among a sample of Australian people who inject drugs.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Degenhardt L, Higgs P, McIlwraith F, Alati R, Bruno R, Lenton S, Burns L
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013 May; 132(3):541-6
- Preventing hepatitis C virus transmission among young people in the justice system.
Lenton E, White B, Aitken C, Hellard M, Higgs P
Children Youth Serv Rev. 2013 May; 35(5):834-6
- Concordance between self-reported and actual hepatitis C virus infection status in a cohort of people who inject drugs.
O'Keefe D, Aitken C, Higgs P, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2013 Feb; 32(2):208-210
- A response to: Self-reported and actual hepatitis C virus infection status.
O'Keefe D, Aitken C, Higgs P, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2013 Jan; 32(1):107
- A cross-sectional study of emergency department visits by people who inject drugs.
Aitken C, Kerr T, Hickman M, Stoové M, Higgs P, Dietze P
Emerg Med J. 2013 Jan; 30(5):421-422
- Injecting drug use and related health behaviours in a small case series of East African migrants in Melbourne.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Degenhardt L, Cogger S, Power R, Dietze P
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2012 Dec; 36(6):586-587
- Hepatitis C virus phylogenetic clustering is associated with the social-injecting network in a cohort of people who inject drugs.
Sacks-Davis R, Daraganova G, Aitken C, Higgs P, Tracy L, Bowden S, Jenkinson R, Rolls D, Pattison P, Robins G, Grebely J, Barry A, Hellard M
PLoS One. 2012 Oct; 7(10):e47335
- Modelling antiviral treatment to prevent hepatitis C infection among people who inject drugs in Victoria, Australia.
Hellard ME, Jenkinson R, Higgs P, Stoové MA, Sacks-Davis R, Gold J, Hickman M, Vickerman P, Martin NK
Med J Aust. 2012 Jun; 196(10):638-641
- The impact of khat use on East African communities in Melbourne: A preliminary investigation.
Feigin A, Higgs P, Hellard M, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2012 May; 31(3):288-293
- Exploring the sexual networks of men who have sex with men and women in Hanoi, Vietnam - Summary Report
Siobhan Reddel, Pham Hanh Van, Nguyen Van Thuy, Peter Higgs, Khoat Van Dang, Rebecca Jenkinson, Caroline Van Gemert, Chad Hughes, Margaret Hellard, Mike Toole AM
- Exploring the sexual networks of men who have sex with men and women in Hanoi, Vietnam - Final Report
Siobhan Reddel, Pham Hanh Van, Nguyen Van Thuy, Peter Higgs, Khoat Van Dang, Rebecca Jenkinson, Caroline Van Gemert, Chad Hughes, Margaret Hellard, Mike Toole
- Barriers to receiving hepatitis C treatment for people who inject drugs: Myths and evidence.
Higgs P, Sacks-Davis R, Gold J, Hellard M
Hepat Mon. 2011 Jul; 11(7):513-518
- Vietnam moves forward with harm reduction: an assessment of progress.
Reid G, Higgs P
Glob Public Health. 2011 Feb; 6(2):168-180
- Australians living with and managing hepatitis C.
O'Brien AP, Cross WM, Higgs P, Munro I, Bloomer MJ, Chou KR
Issues Ment Health Nurs. 2010 Aug; 31(8):520-524
- Further research required to determine link between khat consumption and driver impairment.
Feigin A, Higgs P, Hellard M, Dietze P
Bull World Health Organ. 2010 Jun; 88(6):480
- Older injectors: an emerging and under-recognised public health issue.
Peter Higgs, Lisa Maher
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2010 May; 29(3):233-234
- Nurse led CBT program for Indigenous people.
O'Brien A, Cross W, Higgs P, Munro I, Bloomer M
Aust Nursing J. 2010 Mar; 17(8):35
- An evaluation of a heroin overdose prevention and education campaign.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Lewis J, Winter R, Dietze P, Aitken C
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2010 Jan; 29(1):5-11
- Factors influencing a self-limiting HIV outbreak among ethnic Vietnamese injecting drug users in Melbourne, Australia.
Higgs P, Yohannes K, Hellard M, Maher L
Qual Health Res. 2009 Dec; 19(12):1690-1701
- Limits to relying on expert information: the Delphi technique in a study of ethnic Vietnamese injection drug users in Melbourne, Australia.
Nguyen OK, Higgs PG, Hellard ME
Soc Work Public Health. 2009 Sep; 24(5):371-379
- Heroin-gel capsule cocktails and groin injecting practices among ethnic Vietnamese in Melbourne, Australia.
Higgs P, Dwyer R, Duong D, Thach ML, Hellard M, Power R, Maher L
Int J Drug Policy. 2009 Jul; 20(4):340-346
- Qualitative evaluation of a peer-based needle syringe programme in Vietnam.
Ngo AD, Schmich L, Higgs P, Fischer A
Int J Drug Policy. 2009 Mar; 20(2):179-182
- Gender, culture and harm: an exploratory study of female heroin users of Vietnamese ethnicity.
Higgs P, Owada K, Hellard M, Power R, Maher L
Cult Health Sex. 2008 Oct; 10(7):681-696
- Risk behaviours and blood borne virus exposure for transient workers in rural Victoria.
Pedrana A, Aitken C, Higgs P, Hellard M
Aust J Rural Health. 2008 Jun; 16(3):143-149
- The development of peer educator-based harm reduction programmes in Northern Vietnam.
Walsh N, Gibbie TM, Higgs P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2008 Mar; 27(2):200-203
- Differences in the social networks of ethnic Vietnamese and non-Vietnamese injecting drug users and their implications for blood-borne virus transmission.
Aitken CK, Higgs P, Bowden S
Epidemiol Infect. 2008 Mar; 136(3):410-416
- Buprenorphine injection in Melbourne, Australia - an update.
Aitken CK, Higgs PG, Hellard ME
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2008 Mar; 27(2):197-199
- Transitions to injecting and risk of hepatitis C transmission among ethnic Vietnamese heroin smokers in Melbourne Australia
Higgs P, Kelsall J, Nguyen QC
Hepatitis Monthly. 2008 Feb; 8(2):115-120
- Integrating enhanced hepatitis C testing and counselling in research.
Winter R, Nguyen O, Higgs P, Armstrong S, Duong D, Thach ML, Aitken C, Hellard M
Int J Drug Policy. 2008 Feb; 19(1):66-70
- Selling syringes to injecting drug users: a study of five pharmacies in Hanoi, Vietnam.
Pankonin CA, Higgs P, Reid G, Aitken C
J Infect Dev Ctries. 2008 Feb; 2(1):51-58
- Change in hepatitis C virus genotype in injecting drug users.
Aitken C, McCaw R, Jardine D, Bowden S, Higgs P, Nguyen O, Crofts N, Hellard M
J Med Virol. 2004 Dec; 74(4):543-545
- Molecular epidemiology of hepatitis C virus in a social network of injection drug users.
Aitken CK, McCaw RF, Bowden DS, Tracy SL, Kelsall JG, Higgs PG, Kerger MJ, Nguyen H, Crofts JN
J Infect Dis. 2004 Nov; 190(9):1586-1595
- The impact of a police crackdown on a street drug scene: evidence from the street.
Aitken C, Moore D, Higgs P, Kelsall J, Kerger M
Int J Drug Policy. 2002 Jul; 13(3):193.202
- Vulnerability among Vietnamese illicit drug users in Australia: challenges for change.
Reid G, Higgs P, Beyer L, Crofts N
Int J Drug Policy. 2002 Jul; 13(2):127-136
- HIV among injecting drug users of Indo-Chinese ethnicity in Victoria.
Hocking JS, Higgs PG, Keenan CM, Crofts N
Med J Aust. 2002 Feb; 176(4):191-192
- Severe vein damage caused by Temezepam injecting.
Aitken CK, Higgs P
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2002 Feb; 26(1):79
News Articles (10)