Bruce Wines, (PhD) is a Senior Research Officer of the Burnet Institute and his work is based on the central theme of structural /functional relationships in the immune system focusing on the biology of IgA and IgG receptors and antibodies.
Dr. Wines' PhD work on complement component C1q was at the Biochemistry Department of the University of Sydney with Dr Simon Easterbrook-Smith. In the Biochemical Virology Laboratory at Johns Hopkins with Paula Pitha he studied the dysfunction of the immune system in the retroviral MAIDS disease model. Since then he has worked on Fc receptors focusing on the biology and biochemistry of the main leukocyte IgA receptor, FcalphaRI and the low affinity IgG receptor FcgammaRIIa.
Recently, in collaboration with Prof. John Fraser at the University of Auckland and Dr Paul Ramsland at the Burnet, he has been investigating the staphylococcal superantigen like (SSL) toxins as agents of immune evasion for the major human pathogen Staphylococcus aureus.
- 2006-present: Senior Research Officer, Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 2006-present: Senior Fellow, Department of Immunology, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 2003-present: Senior Fellow, Department of Pathology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 1994-2006: Senior Research Officer, Austin Research Institute, A&RMC, Victoria, Australia
- 1992-1994: Senior Associate, Victoria University, Victoria, Australia
- 1992- Oct 1994: Postdoctoral Fellow, Oncology Center, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- 1990-1992: Research Officer, Centre for Molecular Biology and Medicine, Monash University,Victoria, Australia
- BSc (Hons), University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- PhD, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- Antibody-dependent phagocytosis (ADP) responses following trivalent inactivated influenza vaccination of younger and older adults.
Ana-Sosa-Batiz F, Johnston APR, Hogarth PM, Wines BD, Barr I, Wheatley AK, Kent SJ
Vaccine. 2017 Nov; 35(47):6451-6458
- HIV-1 Env- and Vpu-specific antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity responses associated with elite control of HIV.
Madhavi V, Wines BD, Amin J, Emery S; ENCORE1 study group, Lopez E, Kelleher A; Sydney LTNP study group, Center RJ, Hogarth PM, Chung AW, Kent SJ, Stratov I
J Virol. 2017 Aug; 91(18):e00700-17
- Partial efficacy of a broadly neutralizing antibody against cell-associated SHIV infection.
Parsons MS, Lloyd SB, Lee WS, Kristensen AB, Amarasena T, Center RJ, Keele BF, Lifson JD, LaBranche CC, Montefiori D, Wines BD, Hogarth PM, Swiderek KM, Venturi V, Davenport MP, Kent SJ
Sci Trans Med. 2017 Aug; 9(402):eaaf1483
- Anti-HIV-1 ADCC antibodies following latency reversal and treatment interruption.
Lee WS, Kristensen AB, Rasmussen TA, Tolstrup M, Østergaard L, Søgaard OS, Wines BD, Hogarth PM, Reynaldi A, Davenport MP, Emery S, Amin J, Cooper DA, Kan VL, Fox J, Gruell H, Parsons MS, Kent SJ
J Virol. 2017 Aug; 91(15):e00603
- Fc functional antibodies in humans with severe H7N9 and seasonal influenza.
Vanderven HA, Liu L, Ana-Sosa-Batiz F, Nguyen TH, Wan Y, Wines B, Hogarth PM, Tilmanis D, Reynaldi A, Parsons MS, Hurt AC, Davenport MP, Kotsimbos T, Cheng AC, Kedzierska K, Zhang X, Xu J, Kent SJ
JCI Insights. 2017 Jul; 2(13):92750
- Effect of combination antiretroviral therapy on HIV-1-specific antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity responses in subtype B- and subtype C-infected cohorts.
Madhavi V, Kulkarni A, Shete A, Lee WS, Mclean MR, Kristensen AB, Ghate M, Wines BD, Hogarth PM, Parsons MS, Kelleher A, Cooper DA, Amin J, Emery S, Thakar M, Kent SJ
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2017 Jul; 75(3):345-353
- Dimeric Fcγ receptor enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay to study HIV-specific antibodies: a new look into breadth of Fcγ receptor antibodies induced by the RV144 Vaccine Trial.
McLean MR, Madhavi V, Wines BD, Hogarth PM, Chung AW, Kent SJ
J Immunol. 2017 Jun; 199(2):816-826
- A Phase 1 Human Immunodeficiency Virus vaccine trial for cross-profiling the kinetics of serum and mucosal antibody responses to CN54gp140 modulated by two homologous prime-boost vaccine regimens.
Kratochvil S, McKay PF, Kopycinski JT, Bishop C, Hayes PJ, Muir L, Pinder CL, Cizmeci D, King D, Aldon Y, Wines BD, Hogarth PM, Chung AW, Kent SJ, Held K, Geldmacher C, Dally L, Santos NS, Cole T, Gilmour J, Fidler S, Shattock RJ
Front Immunol. 2017 May; 8:595
- Antibody functional assays as measures of Fc receptor-mediated immunity to HIV - New technologies and their Impact on the HIV vaccine field.
Wines BD, Billings H, Mclean MR, Kent SJ, Hogarth PM
Curr HIV Res. 2017 Mar; 15(3):202-215
- Distinctive expression of Interleukin-23 receptor subunits on human Th17 and gammadelta T cells.
Wines BD, Yap ML, Powell MS, Tan PS, Ko KK, Orlowski E, Hogarth PM
Immunol Cell Biol. 2017 Mar; 95(3):272-279
- Dimeric FcgammaR Ectodomains as Probes of the Fc Receptor Function of Anti-Influenza Virus IgG.
Wines BD, Vanderven HA, Esparon SE, Kristensen AB, Kent SJ, Hogarth PM
J Immunol. 2016 Jul; 197(4):1507-1516
- What lies beneath: Antibody dependent natural killer cell activation by antibodies to internal influenza virus proteins.
Vanderven HA, Ana-Sosa-Batiz F, Jegaskanda S, Rockman S, Laurie K, Barr I, Chen W, Wines B, Hogarth PM, Lambe t, Gilbert SC, Parsons MS, Kent SJ
EBioMed. 2016 Apr; 8:277-290
- Antibody responses with Fc-mediated functions after trivalent influenza vaccination of HIV-infected subjects.
Kristensen AB, Lay WN, Ana-Sosa-Batiz F, Vanderven HA, Madhavi V, Laurie KL, Carolan L, Wines BD, Hogarth M, Wheatley AK, Kent SJ
J Virol. 2016 Apr; 90(12):5724-5734
- The FcγR of humans and non-human primates and their Interaction with IgG: Implications for induction of inflammation, resistance to infection and the use of therapeutic monoclonal antibodies.
Hogarth PM, Anania JC, Wines BD
Curr Top Microbiol Immunol. 2014 Aug; 382:321-352
- Polymorphisms and Interspecies Differences of the Activating and Inhibitory FcgammaRII of Macaca nemestrina Influence the Binding of Human IgG Subclasses.
Trist HM, Tan PS, Wines BD, Ramsland PA, Orlowski E, Stubbs J, Gardiner EE, Pietersz GA, Kent SJ, Stratov I, Burton DR, Hogarth PM
J Immunol. 2014 Jan; 192(2):892-903
- Interaction of Human, Rat, and Mouse Immunoglobulin A (IgA) with Staphylococcal Superantigen-like 7 (SSL7) Decoy Protein and Leukocyte IgA Receptor.
Wines BD, Ramsland PA, Trist HM, Gardam S, Brink R, Fraser JD, Hogarth PM
J Biol Chem. 2011 Sep; 286(38):33118-33124
- Structural basis for Fc gammaRIIa recognition of human IgG and formation of inflammatory signaling complexes.
Ramsland PA, Farrugia W, Bradford TM, Sardjono CT, Esparon S, Trist HM, Powell MS, Tan PS, Cendron AC, Wines BD, Scott AM, Hogarth PM
J Immunol. 2011 Aug
- Specificity of staphylococcal superantigen-like protein 10 toward the human IgG1 Fc domain.
Patel D, Wines BD, Langley RJ, Fraser JD
J Immunol. 2010 Jun; 184(11):6283-6292
- Structural basis for inhibition of complement C5 by the SSL7 protein from Staphylococcus aureus.
Laursen NS, Gordon N, Hermans S, Lorenz N, Jackson N, Wines B, Spillner E, Christensen JB, Jensen M, Fredslund F, Bjerre M, Sottrup-Jensen L, Fraser JD, Andersen GR
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Feb; 107(8):3681-3686
- The crystal structure of staphylococcal superantigen-like protein 11 in complex with sialyl Lewis X reveals the mechanism for cell binding and immune inhibition.
Chung MC, Wines BD, Baker H, Langley RJ, Baker EN, Fraser JD
Mol Microbiol. 2007 Dec; 66(6):1342-1355
- Structural basis for evasion of IgA immunity by Staphylococcus aureus revealed in the complex of SSL7 with Fc of human IgA1.
Ramsland PA, Willoughby N, Trist HM, Farrugia W, Hogarth PM, Fraser JD, Wines BD
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2007 Sep; 104(38):15051-15056
- The mechanism underlying defective Fcgamma receptor-mediated phagocytosis by HIV-1-infected human monocyte-derived macrophages.
Leeansyah E, Wines BD, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A.
J Immunol. 2007 Jan; 178(2):1096-1104
- IgA receptors in health and disease.
Wines BD, Hogarth PM
Tissue Antigens. 2006 Aug; 68(2):103-114
- A common site of the Fc receptor gamma subunit interacts with the unrelated immunoreceptors FcalphaRI and FcepsilonRI.
Wines BD, Trist HM, Ramsland PA, Hogarth PM
J Biol Chem. 2006 Jun; 281(25):17108-17113
- Alteration of the Fc gamma RIIa dimer interface affects receptor signaling but not ligand binding.
Powell MS, Barnes NC, Bradford TM, Musgrave IF, Wines BD, Cambier JC, Hogarth P
J Immunol. 2006 Jun; 176(12):7489-7494
- Raft localisation of FcgammaRIIa and efficient signaling are dependent on palmitoylation of cysteine 208.
Barnes NC, Powell MS, Trist HM, Gavin AL, Wines BD, Hogarth PM
Immunol Lett. 2006 Apr; 104(1-2):118-123
- A competitive mechanism for staphylococcal toxin SSL7 inhibiting the leukocyte IgA receptor, Fc alphaRI, is revealed by SSL7 binding at the C alpha2/C alpha3 interface of IgA.
Wines BD, Willoughby N, Fraser JD, Hogarth PM
J Biol Chem. 2006 Jan; 281(3):1389-1393
- Biochemical analysis and crystallisation of Fc gamma RIIa, the low affinity receptor for IgG.
Powell MS, Barton PA, Emmanouilidis D, Wines BD, Neumann GM, Peitersz GA, Maxwell KF, Garrett TP, Hogarth PM
Immunol Lett. 1999 May; 68(1):17-23
- Identification of residues in the first domain of human Fc alpha receptor essential for interaction with IgA.
Wines BD, Hulett MD, Jamieson GP, Trist HM, Spratt JM, Hogarth PM
J Immunol. 1999 Feb; 162(4):2146-2153