After completing her Bachelor of Biomedical Science degree in 2007, Jo-Anne went on to pursue an Honours degree in the laboratory of Professor Ray Norton at the Walter & Eliza Hall Institute (WEHI), to study the structural interactions of malaria antigens.
In 2009, she joined Professor James Beeson’s group at WEHI as a PhD student before moving with the rest of the group to the Burnet Institute. Her PhD project focused on understanding the significance of human antibodies to Plasmodium falciparum surface antigens and their role in protective immunity.
Jo-Anne completed her PhD and is currently working as a post-doctoral scientist under the supervision of Dr Michelle Boyle and Professor Beeson, with a particular focus on naturally acquired immunity to Plasmodium falciparum gametocyte antigens.
- 2012: Doctor of Philosophy, University of Melbourne
- 2008: Bachelor of Science (Honours), University of Melbourne
- 2007: Bachelor of Biomedical Science, University of Melbourne
- 2017 Ian Potter Foundation Travel Award – ASTMH Conference, USA
- 2016 Cass Foundation Travel Award – BioMalPar Conference, Germany
- 2012 Best Poster Prize – Molecular Approaches to Malaria
- 2012 Best Poster Prize – AMREP ECR symposium
- 2011 Best Poster Prize – Lorne Infection and Immunity Conference
- 2011 OzEMalaR Travel Award – London School of Hygiene
- 2011 Travel Award – Australian Society for Parasitology
- 2010-2012 Australian Postgraduate Award – University of Melbourne
- 2009 Melbourne Research Scholarship – University of Melbourne
- 2008 Alan W Harris Scholarship – Walter and Eliza Hall Institute
- Human immunization with a polymorphic malaria vaccine candidate induced antibodies to conserved epitopes that promote functional antibodies to multiple parasite strains.
Feng G, Boyle MJ, Cross N, Chan JA, Reiling L, Osier F, Stanisic D, Mueller I, Anders RF, McCarthy JS, Richards JS, Beeson JG
J Infect Dis. 2018 Mar; 218(1):35-43
- Establishment of a yeast-based VLP platform for antigen presentation.
Wetzel D, Rolf T, Suckow M, Kranz A, Barbian A, Chan JA, Leitsch J, Weniger M, Jenzelewski V, Kouskousis B, Palmer C, Beeson JG, Schembecker G, Merz J, Piontek M
Microb Cell Fact. 2018 Feb; 17(1):17
- Evaluating antibody functional activity and strain-specificity of vaccine candidates for malaria in pregnancy using in vitro phagocytosis assays.
Hommel M, Chan JA, Umbers AJ, Langer C, Rogerson SJ, Smith JD, Beeson JG
Parasit Vectors. 2018 Jan; 11(1):69
- Patterns of protective associations differ for antibodies to P.falciparum-infected erythrocytes and merozoites in immunity against malaria in children.
Chan JA, Stanisic DI, Duffy MF, Robinson LJ, Lin E, Kazura JW, King CL, Siba PM, Fowkes FJ, Mueller I, Beeson JG
Eur J Immunol. 2017 Aug; 47(12):2124-2136
- The exported chaperone Hsp70-x supports virulence functions for Plasmodium falciparum blood stage parasites.
Charnaud SC, Dixon MWA, Nie CQ, Chappell L, Sanders PR, Nebl T, Hanssen E, Berriman M, Chan JA, Blanch AJ, Beeson JG, Rayner JC, Przyborski JM, Tilley L, Crabb BS, Gilson PR
PLoS One. 2017 Jul; 12(7):e0181656
- Host immunity to Plasmodium falciparum and the assessment of emerging artemisinin resistance in a multinational cohort.
Ataide R, Ashley EA, Powell R, Chan JA, Malloy MJ, O'Flaherty K, Takashima E, Langer C, Tsuboi T, Dondorp AM, Day NP, Dhorda M, Fairhurst RM, Lim P, Amaratunga C, Pukrittayakamee S, Hien TT, Htut Y, Mayxay M, Faiz MA, Beeson JG, Nosten F, Simpson JA, White NJ, Fowkes FJ
PNAS. 2017 Mar; 114(13):3515-3520
- Infectivity of Plasmodium falciparum in malaria-naive individuals is related to knob expression and cytoadherence of the parasite.
Stanisic DI, Gerrard J, Fink J, Griffin PM, Liu XQ, Sundac L, Sekuloski S, Rodriguez IB, Pingnet J, Yang Y, Zhou Y, Trenholme KR, Wang CY, Hackett H, Chan JA, Langer C, Hanssen E, Hoffman SL, Beeson JG, McCarthy JS, Good MF
Infect Immun. 2016 Jul; 84(9):2689-2696
- A single point in protein trafficking by Plasmodium falciparum determines the expression of major antigens on the surface of infected erythrocytes targeted by human antibodies.
Chan JA, Howell KB, Langer C, Maier AG, Hasang W, Rogerson SJ, Petter M, Chesson J, Stanisic DI, Duffy MF, Cooke BM, Siba PM, Mueller I, Bull PC, Marsh K, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG
Cell Mol Life Sci. 2016 May; 73(21):4141-4158
- PTEX is an essential nexus for protein export in malaria parasites.
Elsworth B, Matthews K, Nie CQ, Kalanon M, Charnaud SC, Sanders PR, Chisholm SA, Counihan NA, Shaw PJ, Pino P, Chan J-A, Azevedo MF, Rogerson SJ, Beeson JG, Crabb BS, Gilson PR, de Koning-Ward TF
Nature. 2014 Jul; 511(7511):587-591
- Surface antigens of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes as immune targets and malaria vaccine candidates.
Chan JA, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG
Cell Mol Life Sci. 2014 Apr; 71(19):3633-3657
- Sequential processing of merozoite surface proteins during and after erythrocyte invasion by Plasmodium falciparum.
Boyle MJ, Langer C, Chan JA, Hodder AN, Coppel RL, Anders RF, Beeson JG
Infect Immun. 2014 Jan; 82(3):924-936
- Platelet factor 4 and Duffy antigen required for platelet killing of Plasmodium falciparum.
McMorran BJ, Wieczorski L, Drysdale KE, Chan JA, Huang HM, Smith C, Mitiku C, Beeson JG, Burgio G, Foote SJ
Science. 2012 Dec; 338(6112):1348-1351
- Targets of antibodies against Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes in malaria immunity.
Chan JA, Howell KB, Reiling L, Ataide R, Mackintosh CL, Fowkes FJ, Petter M, Chesson JM, Langer C, Warimwe GM, Duffy MF, Rogerson SJ, Bull PC, Cowman AF, Marsh K, Beeson JG
J Clin Invest. 2012 Sep; 122(9):3227-3238
News Articles (5)