Burnet Principal Fellow Associate Professor Anthony Jaworowski is co-head of the HIV Pathogenesis laboratory. Initially training as an enzymologist, he was awarded his PhD at the John Curtin School of Medical Research (Australian National University) before undertaking postdoctoral studies at the Fox Chase Cancer Center (Philadelphia, PA) with Irwin A Rose.
On his return to Australia in 1985 Anthony lectured in Biochemistry at Melbourne University. He then took a position in the Department of Medicine, Melbourne University to study signal transduction in macrophages before being recruited to the Burnet Institute in 1998, to study how HIV impairs signaling in human macrophages.
Anthony’s major research findings include the mechanism by which HIV infection of macrophages affects their ability to ingest and destroy AIDS-related pathogens, and the changes that occur in innate immune cells in the setting of HIV infection.
His current research is focussed on determining innate immune defects that persist in patients receiving combination antiretroviral therapy with virological suppression, and what factors drive these defects. This research involves determining changes in primary immune cells obtained from HIV patients recruited via the Department of Infectious Diseases at The Alfred hospital. In vitro models of HIV infection in primary human cells are used to probe mechanisms leading to these defects.
- 2009: Burnet Principal Fellow, Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 2009: Adjunct Associate Professor, Department Medicine, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 2009: Adjunct Associate Professor, Departmnent Immunology, Monash University, Australia
- 2003-2009: Honorary Senior Lecturer, Department Medicine, Monash University, Australia
- 1998-2006: Senior Research Officer, Burnet Institute, Australia
- 1998: Honorary Fellow, Department Medicine, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 1992-1997: Senior Research Officer, Department of Medicine, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1986-1991: Lecturer, Russell Grimwade School of Biochemistry, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1981-1984: Postdoctoral Associate, Fox Chase Cancer Centre
- 1984-1986: Postdoctoral Fellow, John Curtin School of Medical Research,
- 2003-present: Head, Macrophage Signalling Laboratory, Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 1976: BSc(Hons) University of New South Wales, Australia
- 1981: PhD Australian National University, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
- 1977: University Medal (University New South Wales)
- Persistence of activated and adaptive-like NK cells in HIV+ individuals despite 2 Years of suppressive combination antiretroviral therapy.
Hearps AC, Agius PA, Zhou J, Brunt S, Chachage M, Angelovich TA, Cameron PU, Giles M, Price P, Elliott J, Jaworowski A
Front Immunol. 2017 Jun; 8:731
- Porphyromonas gingivalis antibody levels and diagnosis of coronary artery disease in HIV-positive individuals.
Berquist VL, Hearps AC, Ford P, Jaworowski A, Leishman SJ, Hoy JF, Trevillyan JM
J Periodontal Res. 2017 Apr; 52(5):930-935
- HIV integration and the establishment of latency in CCL19-treated resting CD4(+) T cells require activation of NF-kappaB.
Saleh S, Lu HK, Evans V, Harisson D, Zhou J, Jaworowski A, Sallmann G, Cheong KY, Mota TM, Tennakoon S, Angelovich TA, Anderson J, Harman A, Cunningham A, Gray L, Churchill M, Mak J, Drummer H, Vatakis DN, Lewin SR, Cameron PU
Retrovirology. 2016 Jul; 13(1):49
- Ex vivo foam cell formation is enhanced in monocytes from older individuals by both extrinsic and intrinsic mechanisms.
Angelovich TA, Shi MD, Zhou J, Maisa A, Hearps AC, Jaworowski A
Exp Gerontol. 2016 Apr; 80:17-26
- Properties of HIV-1 associated cholesterol in addition to raft formation are important for virus infection.
Hawkes D, Jones KL, Smyth RP, Pereira CF, Bittman R, Jaworowski A, Mak J
Virus Res. 2015 Jul; 210:18-21
- CD14hi CD16+ monocytes phagocytose antibody-opsonised Plasmodium falciparum infected erythrocytes more efficiently than other monocyte subsets, and require CD16 and complement to do so.
Zhou J, Feng G, Beeson J, Hogarth PM, Rogerson SJ, Yan Y, Jaworowski A.
BMC Med. 2015 Jul; 13(1):154
- Monocytes from HIV+ individuals show impaired cholesterol efflux and increased foam cell formation after transendothelial migration.
Maisa A, Hearps AC, Angelovich TA, Pereira CF, Zhou J, Shi MDY, Palmer CS, Muller WA, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
AIDS. 2015 Jun; 29(12):1445-1457
- An NK Cell Population Lacking FcRgamma Is Expanded in Chronically Infected HIV Patients.
Zhou J, Amran FS, Kramski M, Angelovich TA, Elliott J, Hearps AC, Price P, Jaworowski A
J Immunol. 2015 Apr; 194(10):4688-4697
- Inflammation-induced foam cell formation in chronic inflammatory disease.
Angelovich TA, Hearps AC, Jaworowski A
Immunol Cell Biol. 2015 Mar; 93(8):683-693
- Viremic and virologically suppressed HIV infection increases age-related changes to monocyte activation equivalent to 12 and 4 years of ageing respectively.
Angelovich TA, Hearps AC, Maisa A, Martin GE, Lichtfuss GF, Cheng WJ, Palmer CS, Landay AL, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Feb; 69(1):11-17
- Glucose Transporter 1-Expressing Proinflammatory Monocytes Are Elevated in Combination Antiretroviral Therapy-Treated and Untreated HIV+ Subjects.
Palmer CS, Anzinger JJ, Zhou J, Gouillou M, Landay A, Jaworowski A, McCune JM, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 2014 Nov; 193(11):5595-5603
- Opsonic phagocytosis of Plasmodium falciparum merozoites: mechanism in human immunity and a correlate of protection against malaria.
Osier FH, Feng G, Boyle MJ, Langer C, Zhou J, Richards JS, McCallum FJ, Reiling L, Jaworowski A, Anders RF, Marsh K, Beeson JG
BMC Med. 2014 Jul; 12(1):108
- Inflammation and innate immune activation in chronic HIV infection.
Jaworowski A, Hearps AC
Microbiol Aust. 2014 May; 35(2):101-102
- Peripheral Blood Mononuclear Cells Derived from Grand Multigravidae Display a Distinct Cytokine Profile in Response to P. falciparum Infected Erythrocytes.
Ludlow LE, Hasang W, Umbers AJ, Forbes EK, Ome M, Unger HW, Mueller I, Siba PM, Jaworowski A, Rogerson SJ
PLoS One. 2014 Jan; 9(1):e86160
- Associations between surface markers on blood monocytes and carotid atherosclerosis in HIV-positive individuals.
Westhorpe CL, Maisa A, Spelman T, Hoy JF, Dewar EM, Karapanagiotidis S, Hearps AC, Cheng WJ, Trevillyan J, Lewin SR, Sviridov D, Elliott JH, Jaworowski A, Dart AM, Crowe SM
Immunol Cell Biol. 2014 Jan; 92(2):133-138
- Increased glucose metabolic activity is associated with CD4+ T-cell activation and depletion during chronic HIV infection.
Palmer CS, Ostrowski M, Gouillou M, Tsai L, Yu D, Zhou J, Henstridge DC, Maisa A, Hearps AC, Lewin SR, Landay A, Jaworowski A, McCune JM, Crowe SM
AIDS. 2014 Jan; 28(3):297-309
- HIV and co-infections.
Chang CC, Crane M, Zhou J, Mina M, Post JJ, Cameron BA, Lloyd AR, Jaworowski A, French MA, Lewin SR
Immunol Rev. 2013 Jul; 254(1):114-142
- Age-Associated Changes in Monocyte and Innate Immune Activation Markers Occur More Rapidly in HIV Infected Women.
Martin GE, Gouillou M, Hearps AC, Angelovich TA, Cheng AC, Lynch F, Cheng WJ, Paukovics G, Palmer CS, Novak RM, Jaworowski A, Landay AL, Crowe SM
PLoS One. 2013 Jan; 8(1):e55279
- Role of monocytes in mediating HIV-specific antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity.
Kramski M, Schorcht A, Johnston AP, Lichtfuss GF, Jegaskanda S, De Rose R, Stratov I, Kelleher AD, French MA, Center RJ, Jaworowski A, Kent SJ
J Immunol Methods. 2012 Oct; 384(1-2):51-61
- Opsonization of malaria-infected erythrocytes activates the inflammasome and enhances inflammatory cytokine secretion by human macrophages.
Zhou J, Ludlow LE, Hasang W, Rogerson SJ, Jaworowski A
Malar J. 2012 Oct; 11(1):343
- Advances in infection and immunity: from bench to bedside.
Hansen DS, Stewart CR, Jaworowski A, de-Koning Ward TF
Immunol Cell Biol. 2012 Sep; 90(8):751-754
- Virologically Suppressed HIV Patients Show Activation of NK Cells and Persistent Innate Immune Activation.
Lichtfuss GF, Cheng WJ, Farsakoglu Y, Paukovics G, Rajasuriar R, Velayudham P, Kramski M, Hearps AC, Cameron PU, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Immunol. 2012 Jun; 189(3):1491-1499
- Anti-HIV-1 antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity mediated by hyperimmune bovine colostrum IgG.
Kramski M, Lichtfuss GF, Navis M, Isitman G, Wren L, Rawlin G, Center RJ, Jaworowski A, Kent SJ, Purcell DF
Eur J Immunol. 2012 Jun; 42(10):2771-2781
- Aging is associated with chronic innate immune activation and dysregulation of monocyte phenotype and function.
Hearps AC, Martin GE, Angelovich TA, Cheng WJ, Maisa A, Landay AL, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
Aging Cell. 2012 Jun; 11(5):867-875
- Endothelial cell activation promotes foam cell formation by monocytes following transendothelial migration in an in vitro model.
Westhorpe CL, Dufour EM, Maisa A, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM, Muller WA
Exp Mol Pathol. 2012 May; 93(2):220-226
- HIV infection induces age-related changes to monocytes and innate immune activation in young men that persist despite combination antiretroviral therapy.
Hearps AC, Maisa A, Cheng WJ, Angelovich TA, Lichtfuss GF, Palmer CS, Landay AL, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
AIDS. 2012 Apr; 26(7):843-853
- HIV-1 inhibits phagocytosis and inflammatory cytokine responses of human monocyte-derived macrophages to P. falciparum infected erythrocytes.
Ludlow LE, Zhou J, Tippett E, Cheng WJ, Hasang W, Rogerson SJ, Jaworowski A
PLoS One. 2012 Feb; 7(2):e32102
- HIV infection and aging of the innate immune system.
Hearps AC, Angelovich TA, Jaworowski A, Mills J, Landay AL, Crowe SM
Sex Health. 2011 Dec; 8(4):453-464
- Early events of HIV-1 infection: can signaling be the next therapeutic target?
Jones KL, Smyth RP, Pereira CF, Cameron PU, Lewin SR, Jaworowski A, Mak J
J Neuroimmune Pharmacol. 2011 Jun; 6(2):269-283
- Differential expression of CD163 on monocyte subsets in healthy and HIV-1 infected individuals.
Tippett E, Cheng WJ, Westhorpe C, Cameron PU, Brew BJ, Lewin SR, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
PLoS One. 2011 May; 6(5):e19968
- HIV inhibits early signal transduction events triggered by CD16 cross-linking on NK cells, which are important for antibody-dependent cellular cytotoxicity.
Lichtfuss GF, Meehan AC, Cheng WJ, Cameron PU, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Leukoc Biol. 2011 Jan; 89(1):149-158
- Establishment of HIV-1 latency in resting CD4+ T cells depends on chemokine-induced changes in the actin cytoskeleton.
Cameron PU, Saleh S, Sallmann G, Solomon A, Wightman F, Evans VA, Boucher G, Haddad EK, Sekaly RP, Harman AN, Anderson JL, Jones KL, Mak J, Cunningham AL, Jaworowski A, Lewin SR
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Sep; 107(39):16934-16939
- The macrophage: the intersection between HIV infection and atherosclerosis.
Crowe SM, Westhorpe CL, Mukhamedova N, Jaworowski A, Sviridov D, Bukrinsky M
J Leukoc Biol. 2010 Apr; 87(4):589-598
- Decreased NK Cell FcRgamma in HIV-1 infected individuals receiving combination antiretroviral therapy: a cross sectional study.
Leeansyah E, Zhou J, Paukovics G, Lewin SR, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
PLoS One. 2010 Mar; 5(3):e9643
- Enhanced monocyte Fc phagocytosis by a homologue of interleukin-10 encoded by human cytomegalovirus.
Jaworowski A, Cheng WJ, Westhorpe CL, Abendroth A, Crowe SM, Slobedman B
Virology. 2009 Aug; 391(1):20-24
- Antibodies to variant surface antigens of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes are associated with protection from treatment failure and the development of anemia in pregnancy.
Feng G, Aitken E, Yosaatmadja F, Kalilani L, Meshnick SR, Jaworowski A, Simpson JA, Rogerson SJ
J Infect Dis. 2009 Jul; 200(2):299-306
- Effects of HIV-1 infection in vitro on transendothelial migration by monocytes and monocyte-derived macrophages.
Westhorpe CL, Zhou J, Webster NL, Kalionis B, Lewin SR, Jaworowski A, Muller WA, Crowe SM
J Leukoc Biol. 2009 Jun; 85(6):1027-1035
- Relationship between human immunodeficiency virus type 1 coinfection, anemia, and levels and function of antibodies to variant surface antigens in pregnancy-associated malaria.
Jaworowski A, Fernandes LA, Yosaatmadja F, Feng G, Mwapasa V, Molyneux ME, Meshnick SR, Lewis J, Rogerson SJ.
Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2009 Mar; 16(3):312-319
- 4th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention.
Maher L, Tachedjian G, Hoy JF, Millwood I, Guy RJ, Walsh NM, Zaunders JJ, Jaworowski A, Kaldor JM
Med J Aust. 2007 Dec; 187(11-12):610-612
- A novel flow cytometric phagocytosis assay of malaria-infected erythrocytes.
Tippett E, Fernandes LA, Rogerson SJ, Jaworowski A
J Immunol Methods. 2007 Aug; 325(1-2):42-50
- CD16+ monocyte subset preferentially harbors HIV-1 and is expanded in pregnant Malawian women with Plasmodium falciparum malaria and HIV-1 infection.
Jaworowski A, Kamwendo DD, Ellery P, Sonza S, Mwapasa V, Tadesse E, Molyneux ME, Rogerson SJ, Meshnick SR, Crowe SM
J Infect Dis. 2007 Jul; 196(1):38-42
- The CD16+ monocyte subset is more permissive to infection and preferentially harbors HIV-1 in vivo.
Ellery PJ, Tippett E, Chiu YL, Paukovics G, Cameron PU, Solomon A, Lewin SR, Gorry PR, Jaworowski A, Greene WC, Sonza S, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 2007 May; 178(10):6581-6589
- The mechanism underlying defective Fcgamma receptor-mediated phagocytosis by HIV-1-infected human monocyte-derived macrophages.
Leeansyah E, Wines BD, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A.
J Immunol. 2007 Jan; 178(2):1096-1104
- Impaired complement-mediated phagocytosis by HIV type-1-infected human monocyte-derived macrophages involves a cAMP-dependent mechanism.
Azzam R, Kedzierska K, Leeansyah E, Chan H, Doischer D, Gorry PR, Cunningham AL, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2006 Jul; 22(7):619-629
- Adverse effects of antiretroviral drugs on HIV-1-infected and uninfected human monocyte-derived macrophages.
Azzam R, Lal L, Goh SL, Kedzierska K, Jaworowski A, Naim E, Cherry CL, Wesselingh SL, Mills J, Crowe SM
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006 May; 42(1):19-28
- Normal CD16 expression and phagocytosis of Mycobacterium avium complex by monocytes from a current cohort of HIV-1-infected patients.
Jaworowski A, Ellery P, Maslin CL, Naim E, Heinlein AC, Ryan CE, Paukovics G, Hocking J, Sonza S, Crowe SM
J Infect Dis. 2006 Mar; 193(5):693-697
- Phagocytosis stimulates mobilization and shedding of intracellular CD16A in human monocytes and macrophages: inhibition by HIV-1 infection.
Webster NL, Kedzierska K, Azzam R, Paukovics G, Wilson J, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Leukoc Biol. 2006 Feb; 79(2):294-302
- Low TRBP levels support an innate human immunodeficiency virus type 1 resistance in astrocytes by enhancing the PKR antiviral response.
Ong CL, Thorpe JC, Gorry PR, Bannwarth S, Jaworowski A, Howard JL, Chung S, Campbell S, Christensen HS, Clerzius G, Mouland AJ, Gatignol A, Purcell DFJ
J Virol. 2005 Oct; 79(20):12763-12772
- Phagocytic efficiency of monocytes and macrophages obtained from Sydney blood bank cohort members infected with an attenuated strain of HIV-1.
Kedzierska K, Churchill M, Maslin CL, Azzam R, Ellery P, Chan HT, Wilson J, Deacon NJ, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2003 Dec; 34(5):445-453
- Human immunodeficiency virus type 1 infection inhibits granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor-induced activation of STAT5A in human monocyte-derived macrophages.
Warby TJ, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Virol. 2003 Dec; 77(23):12630-12638
- Defective phagocytosis by human monocyte/macrophages following HIV-1 infection: underlying mechanisms and modulation by adjunctive cytokine therapy.
Kedzierska K, Azzam R, Ellery P, Mak J, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
J Clin Virol. 2003 Feb; 26(2):247-263
- Quantifying complement-mediated phagocytosis by human monocyte-derived macrophages.
Chan HT, Kedzierska K, O'Mullane J, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
Immunol Cell Biol. 2001 Oct; 79(5):429-435
- FcgammaR-mediated phagocytosis by human macrophages involves Hck, Syk, and Pyk2 and is augmented by GM-CSF.
Kedzierska K, Vardaxis NJ, Jaworowski A, Crowe SM
J Leukoc Biol. 2001 Aug; 70(2):322-328
- nef-deleted HIV-1 inhibits phagocytosis by monocyte-derived macrophages in vitro but not by peripheral blood monocytes in vivo.
Kedzierska K, Mak J, Jaworowski A, Greenway A, Violo A, Chan HT, Hocking J, Purcell D, Sullivan JS, Mills J, Crowe S
AIDS. 2001 May; 15(8):945-955
- Modulation of the catalytic activity of the Src family tyrosine kinase Hck by autophosphorylation at a novel site in the unique domain.
T M Johnson, N A Williamson, G Scholz, A Jaworowski, R E Wettenhall, A R Dunn, H C Cheng
J Biol Chem. 2000 Oct; 275(43):33353-33364
- Granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor inhibits HIV-1 replication in monocyte-derived macrophages.
Kedzierska K, Maerz A, Warby T, Jaworowski A, Chan H, Mak J, Sonza S, Lopez A, Crowe S
AIDS. 2000 Aug; 14(12):1739-1748
- The rat visceral yolk sac internalizes maternal transferrin and secretes hydrolyzed products towards the fetus.
Richardson SJ, Southwell BR, Jaworowski A
Comp Biochem Physiol B Biochem Mol Biol. 2000 Jan; 125(1):29-36
- MRL/lpr and MRL+/+ macrophage DNA synthesis in the absence and the presence of colony-stimulating factor-1 and granulocyte-macrophage colony-stimulating factor.
J A Hamilton, J Chan, R J Byrne, R J Bischof, A Jaworowski, V Kanagasundaram
J Immunol. 1998 Dec; 161(12):6802-6811
- cAMP enhances CSF-1-induced ERK activity and c-fos mRNA expression via a MEK-dependent and Ras-independent mechanism in macrophages.
N J Wilson, A Jaworowski, A C Ward, J A Hamilton
Biochem Biophys Res Commun. 1998 Mar; 244(2):475-480
- Different pathways of colony-stimulating factor 1 degradation in macrophage populations revealed by wortmannin sensitivity.
V Kanagasundaram, E Christy, J A Hamilton, A Jaworowski
Biochem J. 1998 Feb; 330 ( Pt 1):197-202
- Effects of wortmannin and rapamycin on CSF-1-mediated responses in macrophages.
J A Hamilton, R Byrne, G Whitty, P K Vadiveloo, N Marmy, R B Pearson, E Christy, A Jaworowski
Int J Biochem Cell Biol. 1998 Feb; 30(2):271-283
- Isolation, characterization, cDNA cloning and gene expression of an avian transthyretin. Implications for the evolution of structure and function of transthyretin in vertebrates.
W Duan, M G Achen, S J Richardson, M C Lawrence, R E Wettenhall, A Jaworowski, G Schreiber
Eur J Biochem. 1991 Sep; 200(3):679-687
- Enolpyruvate: chemical determination as a pyruvate kinase intermediate.
S H Seeholzer, A Jaworowski, I A Rose
Biochemistry. 1991 Jan; 30(3):727-732
- Transthyretin (prealbumin) gene expression in choroid plexus is strongly conserved during evolution of vertebrates.
P J Harms, G F Tu, S J Richardson, A R Aldred, A Jaworowski, G Schreiber
Comp Biochem Physiol B. 1991 Jan; 99(1):239-249
- Characterization of the respiratory NADH dehydrogenase of Escherichia coli and reconstitution of NADH oxidase in ndh mutant membrane vesicles.
A Jaworowski, G Mayo, D C Shaw, H D Campbell, I G Young
Biochemistry. 1981 Jun; 20(12):3621-3628
- Nucleotide sequence coding for the respiratory NADH dehydrogenase of Escherichia coli. UUG initiation codon.
I G Young, B L Rogers, H D Campbell, A Jaworowski, D C Shaw
Eur J Biochem. 1981 May; 116(1):165-170
- Genetic identification and purification of the respiratory NADH dehydrogenase of Escherichia coli.
A Jaworowski, H D Campbell, M I Poulis, I G Young
Biochemistry. 1981 Mar; 20(7):2041-2047
News Articles (6)