Kate works part time at Burnet, where she is the staff physician and a clinical epidemiologist. Her background is as an infectious diseases (ID) physician with an interest in HIV. After completing her ID training, Kate developed her research skills by undertaking a PhD followed by a degree in epidemiology / statistics. Today she enjoys combining a part time clinical role with contributing to a range of research projects and volunteering.
Kate is currently contributing to projects including international epidemiologic studies of painful HIV-associated neuropathy, work examining genetic associations with HIV-associated neuropathy in cohorts in Indonesia and South Africa, an audit of diagnostic testing for Pneumocystis pneumonia in patients with HIV, and an Australian study examining genetic associations with non-tuberculous mycobacterial lung disease.
Kate is often asked what attracted her to research: “There are several things! I really enjoy working with colleagues from diverse backgrounds and providing a clinical and/or epidemiological perspective on projects designed by basic scientists. The buzz of looking at data and seeing new findings emerge is very real. But for me, the greatest motivator is the patients. Seeing patients in the clinic constantly raises questions about disease pathogenesis, drug toxicities, quality of life and more. What could be more natural than combining clinical work with a role trying to answer some of the questions that come up?“
- 2012 Honorary Senior Research Fellow, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa
- 2011 Principal Burnet Fellow, Centre for Biomedical Research, Burnet Institute
- 2011 Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University
- 2007 Staff Physician, Burnet Institute
- 2000 Consultant Physician, Infectious Diseases Unit, The Alfred Hospital
- 2014 – present Staff Elected Member, Burnet Institute
- 2012 – 2015 Member, MS Research Australia Social and Applied Research Reference Group
- 2011 Microbiology and Virology Grant Review Panel Member, NHMRC
- 2010 – present Member, Alfred Health Ethics Committee
- 2010 – 2016 Member, MS Advisory Council, Victoria (Chair 2014 – 2016)
- 2008 – present Member, Alfred Health Research Review Committee
- 2007 – present Victorian HIV Blood and Tissue Storage Bank Steering Committee
- 2002 – present Australian National NeuroAIDS Brain & Tissue Bank Steering Committee
- 2001 – 2005 Treasurer, Australian Doctors Orchestra
- 2005 Graduate Diploma in Clinical Epidemiology, Monash University
- 2004 PhD, Monash University “Sensory neuropathy in HIV/AIDS”
- 1999 Fellowship of the Royal Australasian College of Physicians (FRACP) (Infectious Diseases)
- 1992 Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery (MBBS), University of Melbourne
- 2016 Honorable mention in the 2016 Intima Journal Essay Contest
- 2010 “Best explainer” Alfred Health Ethics Committee annual awards
- 2009 – 2012 NH&MRC Career Development Award
- 2006 Australasian Society for HIV Medicine: Best Epidemiology Poster Prize
- 2005 Viertel Clinical Investigatorship, Charles and Sylvia Viertel foundation
- 2004 2004 President’s Award, Victorian AIDS Council Gay Men’s Health Centre
- 2002 Research Progress Award, People Living with HIV/AIDS Victoria
- 2001 Australasian Society for HIV Medicine: Best Scientific Paper Prize
- 2000 - 2003 NH&MRC Post Graduate Research Scholarship
- 1999 The Alfred Hospital Whole Time Medical Specialists Private Practice Scheme Prize for Research Posters
- 1998 Australian Home and Outpatient Intravenous Therapy Association: Best Scientific Paper Prize
- 1998 Australasian Society for HIV Medicine: Best Clinical Paper Prize
- 1992 Austin Hospital Senior Medical Staff Prize (First placed final year student)
- 1992 Alfred Edward Rowden White Prize in Clinical Obstetrics (University of Melbourne)
- 1992 Hillier Prize in Medicine (Janet Clarke Hall)
- 1988 Sunderland Prize in Neuroscience (University of Melbourne)
- Polymorphism rs1385129 Within Glut1 Gene SLC2A1 Is Linked to Poor CD4+ T Cell Recovery in Antiretroviral-Treated HIV+ Individuals.
Masson JJR, Cherry CL, Murphy NM, Sada-Ovalle I, Hussain T, Palchaudhuri R, Martinson J, Landay AL, Billah B, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
Front Immunol. 2018 May; 9:900
- Ex vivo expression of chemokine receptors on cells surrounding cutaneous nerves in patients with HIV-associated sensory neuropathy.
Mountford J, Octaviana F, Estiasari R, Setiawan DD, Ariyanto I, Lee S, Gaff J, Chew C, Jackaman C, Kamerman P, Cherry C, Price P
AIDS. 2018 Feb; 32(4):431-441
- Psychological factors associated with painful versus non-painful HIV-associated sensory neuropathy.
Pillay P, Wadley AL, Cherry CL, Karstaedt AS, Kamerman PR
AIDS Behav. 2018 Jan; 22(5):1584-1595
- Immunometabolic and lipidomic markers associated with the frailtyindex and quality of life in aging HIV+ men on antiretroviral therapy.
Yeoh HL, Cheng AC, Cherry CL, Weir JM, Meikle PJ, Hoy JF, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
EBioMedicine. 2017 Aug; 22:112-21
- Outcomes of treatment for hepatitis C virus infection in the prison setting.
Mbenda HGN, Wadley A, Lombard Z, Cherry C, Price P, Kammerman P
J Neuorvirol. 2017 Aug; 23(4):511-519
- Post-treatment control in an adult with perinatally acquired HIV following cessation of antiretroviral therapy.
McMahon JH, Chang J, Tennakoon S, Dantanarayana A, Solomon A, Cherry C, Doherty R, Cameron P, Lewin SR
AIDS. 2017 Jun; 31(9):1344-1346
- Genetics of HIV-associated sensory neuropathy and related pain in Africans.
Ngassa Mbenda HG, Wadley A, Lombard Z, Cherry C, Price P, Kamerman P
J Neurovirol. 2017 May; 23(4):511-519
- A haplotype spanning P2X7R, P2X4R and CAMKK2 may mark susceptibility to pulmonary non-tuberculous mycobacterial disease.
Halstrom S, Cherry CL, Black M, Thomson R, Goullee H, Baltic S, Allcock R, Temple SE, Price P
Immunogenetics. 2017 Feb; 69(5):287-293
- Emerging Role and Characterization of Immunometabolism: Relevance to HIV Pathogenesis, Serious Non-AIDS Events, and a Cure.
Palmer CS, Henstridge DC, Yu D, Singh A, Balderson B, Duette G, Cherry CL, Anzinger JJ, Ostrowski M, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 2016 Jun; 196(11):4437-4444
- Diagnosing and treating HIV-associated sensory neuropathy: a global perspective.
Cherry CL, Wadley AL, Kamerman PR
Pain Manag. 2016 Mar; 6(2):191-199
- Glucose metabolism in T cells and monocytes: New perspectives in HIV pathogenesis.
Palmer CS, Cherry CL, Sada-Ovalle I, Singh A, Crowe SM
EbioMed. 2016 Feb; 6:31-41
- Polymorphisms in CAMKK2 may predict sensory neuropathy in African HIV patients.
Goullee H, Wadley AL, Cherry CL, Allcock RJ, Black M, Kamerman PR, Price P
J Neurovirol. 2016 Jan; 22(4):508-517
- Choice of valve type and poor ventricular catheter placement: Modifiable factors associated with ventriculoperitoneal shunt failure.
Jeremiah KJ, Cherry CL, Wan KR, Toy JA, Wolfe R, Danks RA
J Clin Neurosci. 2016 Jan; 27:95-98
- TNF Block Gene Variants Associated with Pain Intensity in Black Southern Africans with HIV-associated Sensory Neuropathy.
Hendry LM, Wadley AL, Cherry CL, Price P, Lombard Z, Kamerman PR
Clin J Pain. 2016 Jan; 32(1):45-50
- Pharmacological treatment of painful HIV-associated sensory neuropathy.
Pillay P, Wadley AL, Cherry CL, Karstaedt AS, Kamerman PR
S Afr Med J. 2015 Sep; 105(9):769-772
- Role of TNF block genetic variants in HIV-associated sensory neuropathy in black Southern Africans.
Wadley AL, Hendry LM, Kamerman PR, Chew CS, Price P, Cherry CL, Lombard Z
Eur J Hum Genet. 2015 Mar; 23(3):363-368
- Testicular loss following bacterial epididymo-orchitis: Case report and literature review.
Fehily SR, Trubiano JA, McLean C, Teoh BW, Grummet JP, Cherry CL, Vujovic O
Can Urol Assoc J. 2015 Mar; 9(3-4):E148-E151
- The relationship between body composition and knee structure in patients with human immunodeficiency virus.
Fillipas S, Tanamas S, Davies-Tuck M, Wluka A, Wang Y, Holland A, Cherry C, Cicuttini F
Int J STD AIDS. 2015 Feb; 26(2):133-138
- WHO must remain a strong global health leader post Ebola.
Kamradt-Scottemail A, Harman S, Nunes J, Roemer-Mahler A, Wenham C, on behalf of 95 signatories (including Michael Toole and Kate Cherry)
Lancet. 2015 Jan; 385(9963):111
- A polymorphism in IL4 may associate with sensory neuropathy in African HIV patients.
Wadley AL, Kamerman PR, Chew CS, Lombard Z, Cherry CL, Price P
Mol Immunol. 2013 Oct; 55(3-4):197-199
- Advances in measuring apoptosis: a robust, highly sensitive and specific qPCR-based protocol for absolute quantification of apoptotic DNA.
Hooker DL, Mobarok M, Anderson J, Gray L, Gorry PR, Cherry CL
Protocol Exchange (Nature Group. 2013 Sep; doi 10.1038/protex.2013.07
- Physical activity participation and cardiovascular fitness in people living with Human Immunodeficiency Virus: a one-year longitudinal study.
Flillipas S, Cicuttini FM, Holland AE, Cherry CL
J AIDS Clin Res. 2013 Apr
- Polymorphisms in uncoupling protein genes UCP2 and UCP3 are not associated with HIV-associated sensory neuropathy in African individuals.
Wadley AL, Lombard Z, Cherry CL, Price P, Kamerman PR
J Peripher Nerv Syst. 2013 Mar; 18(1):94-96
- First molecular epidemiology study of Mycobacterium tuberculosis in Kiribati.
Aleksic E, Merker M, Cox H, Reiher B, Sekawi Z, Hearps AC, Ryan CE, Lee AV, Goursaud R, Malau C, O'Connor J, Cherry CL, Niemann S, Crowe SM
PLoS One. 2013 Jan; 8(1):e55423
- Painful HIV-associated sensory neuropathy.
Cherry CL, Wadley AL, Kamerman P
Pain Management. 2012 Nov; 2(6):543-552
- HIV-associated sensory neuropathy: still a problem in the post-stavudine era?
Cherry Cl, Kamerman PR, Bennett DLH, Rice ASC
Fut Virol. 2012 Sep; 7(9):849-854
- Plasma levels of JC virus are sensitive and specific for detecting and predicting progressive multifocal leukoencephalopathy in HIV patients
Bayliss J, Cherry CL, McLean CA
Future Virol. 2012 Aug; 7(8):833-839
- HIV-Associated Sensory Neuropathy: Risk Factors and Genetics.
Kamerman PR, Wadley AL, Cherry CL
Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2012 Jun; 16(3):226-236
- A new way of measuring apoptosis by absolute quantitation of inter-nucleosomally fragmented genomic DNA.
Hooker DJ, Mobarok M, Anderson JL, Rajasuriar R, Gray LR, Ellett AM, Lewin SR, Gorry PR, Cherry CL
Nucleic Acids Res. 2012 Apr; 40(15):e113
- A randomized, double-blind, controlled study of NGX-4010, a capsaicin 8% dermal patch, for the treatment of painful HIV-associated distal sensory polyneuropathy.
David B Clifford, David M Simpson, Stephen Brown, Graeme Moyle, Bruce J Brew, Brian Conway, Jeffrey K Tobias, Geertrui F Vanhove
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012 Feb; 59(2):126-133
- Analysis of a previously identified 'pain protective' haplotype and individual polymorphisms in the GCH1 gene in Africans with HIV-associated sensory neuropathy: a genetic association study.
Wadley AL, Lombard Z, Cherry CL, Price P, Kamerman PR
JAIDS. 2012 Jan; 60(1):20-23
- Brain cell reservoirs of latent virus in presymptomatic HIV-infected individuals.
Thompson KA, Cherry CL, Bell JE, McLean CA
Am J Pathol. 2011 Oct; 179(4):1623-1629
- HIV neuropathy risk factors and symptom characterization in stavudine-exposed South Africans.
Wadley AL, Cherry CL, Price P, Kamerman PR
J Pain Symptom Manage. 2011 Apr; 41(4):700-706
- Neurobehavioral effects in HIV-positive individuals receiving highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in Gaborone, Botswana.
Lawler K, Jeremiah K, Mosepele M, Ratcliffe SJ, Cherry C, Seloilwe E, Steenhoff AP
PLoS One. 2011 Feb; 6(2):e17233
- Tumour necrosis factor haplotypes associated with sensory neuropathy in Asian and Caucasian human immunodeficiency virus patients.
Chew CS, Cherry CL, Imran D, Yunihastuti E, Kamarulzaman A, Varna S, Ismail R, Phipps M, Aghafar Z, Gut I, Price P
Tissue Antigens. 2011 Feb; 77(2):126-130
- A longitudinal study of the effects of ART on plasma chemokine levels in Malaysian HIV patients.
Chew CS, Cherry CL, Kamarulzaman A, Yien TH, Aghafar Z, Price P
Dis Markers. 2011 Jan; 31(5):303-309
- Pharmacological treatment of painful HIV-associated sensory neuropathy: a systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials.
Phillips TJ, Cherry CL, Cox S, Marshall SJ, Rice AS
PLoS One. 2010 Dec; 5(12):e14433
- The effects of exercise training on metabolic and morphological outcomes for people living with HIV: a systematic review of randomised controlled trials.
Fillipas S, Cherry CL, Cicuttini F, Smirneos L, Holland AE
HIV Clin Trials. 2010 Sep; 11(5):270-282
- Mitochondrial dysfunction in CD4+ lymphocytes from stavudine-treated HIV patients.
Einsiedel L, Cherry CL, Sheeran FL, Friedhuber A, Wesselingh SL, Pepe S
Mitochondrion. 2010 Aug; 10(5):534-539
- Hepatitis C seropositivity is not a risk factor for sensory neuropathy among patients with HIV.
Cherry CL, Affandi JS, Brew BJ, Creighton J, Djauzi S, Hooker DJ, Imran D, Kamarulzaman A, Kamerman P, McArthur JC, Moore RD, Price P, Smyth K, Tan IL, Vanar S, Wadley A, Wesselingh SL, Yunihastuti E
Neurology. 2010 May; 74(19):1538-1542
- Ubisol-Aqua: coenzyme Q10 prevents antiretroviral toxic neuropathy in an in vitro model.
Cherry CL, Mobarok M, Wesselingh SL, Fain R, Weinstock S, Tachedjian G, Srivastava S, Tyssen DP, Glass JD, Hooker DJ
Curr HIV Res. 2010 Apr; 8(3):232-239
- The international physical activity questionnaire overestimates moderate and vigorous physical activity in HIV-infected individuals compared with accelerometry.
Fillipas S, Cicuttini F, Holland AE, Cherry CL
J Assoc Nurses AIDS Care. 2010 Mar; 21(2):173-181
- Apoptosis: a clinically useful measure of antiretroviral drug toxicity?
Hooker DJ, Cherry CL.
Expert Opin Drug Metab Toxicol. 2009 Dec; 5(12):1543-1553
- Evaluation of the Cavidi ExaVir Load assay (version 3) for plasma human immunodeficiency virus type 1 load monitoring.
Greengrass VL, Plate MM, Steele PM, Denholm JT, Cherry C, Morris LM, Hearps A, Crowe SM
J Clin Microbiol. 2009 Sep; 47(9):3011-3013
- Age and height predict neuropathy risk in patients with HIV prescribed stavudine.
Cherry CL, Affandi JS, Imran D, Yunihastuti E, Smyth K, Vanar S, Kamarulzaman A, Price P
Neurology. 2009 Jul; 73(4):315-320
- Measuring and monitoring apoptosis and drug toxicity in HIV patients by ligation-mediated polymerase chain reaction.
Hooker DJ, Gorry PR, Ellett AM, Wesselingh SL, Cherry CL
J Cell Mol Med. 2009 May; 13(5):948-958
- Can we predict neuropathy risk before stavudine prescription in a resource-limited setting?
Affandi JS, Price P, Imran D, Yunihastuti E, Djauzi S, Cherry CL
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2008 Oct; 24(10):1281-1284
- Physical activity uptake in patients with HIV: who does how much?
Fillipas S, Bowtell-Harris CA, Oldmeadow LB, Cicuttini F, Holland AE, Cherry CL
Int J STD AIDS. 2008 Aug; 19(8):514-518
- A report on the effect of commencing enfuvirtide on peripheral neuropathy.
Cherry CL, Duncan AJ, Mackie KF, Wesselingh SL, Brew BJ
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2008 Aug; 24(8):1027-1030
- Neurologic disorders are prevalent in HIV-positive outpatients in the Asia-Pacific region.
Wright E, Brew B, Arayawichanont A, Robertson K, Samintharapanya K, Kongsaengdao S, Lim M, Vonthanak S, Lal L, Sarim C, Huffam S, Li P, Imran D, Lewis J, Lun WH, Kamarulzaman A, Tau G, Ali ST, Kishore K, Bain MP, Dwyer R, McCormack G, Hellard M, Cherry C, McArthur J, Wesselingh S
Neurology. 2008 Jul; 71(1):50-56
- Phase 1 single dose studies to optimize the pharmacokinetics of DG17, a novel HIV-protease inhibitor pro-drug, using sodium bicarbonate and ritonavir.
Cherry CL, Hoy JF, Rowe JS, Krum H, Mills J, Lewin SR
Curr HIV Res. 2008 May; 6(3):272-275
- Cytokine genotype suggests a role for inflammation in nucleoside analog-associated sensory neuropathy (NRTI-SN) and predicts an individual's NRTI-SN risk.
Cherry CL, Rosenow A, Affandi JS, McArthur JC, Wesselingh SL, Price P
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2008 Feb; 24(2):117-123
- Replication-dependent pathogenicity of attenuated nef-deleted HIV-1 in vivo.
Gorry PR, Churchill M, Learmont J, Cherry C, Dyer WB, Wesselingh SL, Sullivan JS
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2007 Dec; 46(4):390-394
- Prevalence of and risk factors for HIV-associated neuropathy in Melbourne, Australia 1993-2006.
Smyth K, Affandi J, McArthur J, Bowtell-Harris C, Mijch A, Watson K, Costello K, Woolley I, Price P, Wesselingh S, Cherry C
HIV Med. 2007 Sep; 8(6):367-373
- Tissue-specific associations between mitochondrial DNA levels and current treatment status in HIV-infected individuals.
Cherry CL, Nolan D, James IR, McKinnon EJ, Mallal SA, Gahan ME, Lal L, McArthur JC, Wesselingh SL
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006 Aug; 42(4):435-440
- Adverse effects of antiretroviral drugs on HIV-1-infected and uninfected human monocyte-derived macrophages.
Azzam R, Lal L, Goh SL, Kedzierska K, Jaworowski A, Naim E, Cherry CL, Wesselingh SL, Mills J, Crowe SM
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2006 May; 42(1):19-28
- Antiretroviral use and other risks for HIV-associated neuropathies in an international cohort.
Cherry CL, Skolasky RL, Lal L, Creighton J, Hauer P, Raman SP, Moore R, Carter K, Thomas D, Ebenezer GJ, Wesselingh SL, McArthur JCur
Neurology. 2006 Mar; 66(6):867-873
- A six-month, supervised, aerobic and resistance exercise program improves self-efficacy in people with human immunodeficiency virus: a randomised controlled trial.
Filipas S, Bailey MJ, Oldmeadow LB, Cherry CL
Aust J Physiotherapy. 2006 Jan; 52(3):185-190
- Evaluation of a clinical screening tool for HIV-associated sensory neuropathies.
Cherry CL, Wesselingh SL, Lal L, McArthur JC
Neurology. 2005 Dec; 65(11):1778-1781
- Increased adipocyte apoptosis in lipoatrophy improves within 48 weeks of switching patient therapy from Stavudine to Abacavir or Zidovudine.
Cherry CL, Lal L, Thompson KA, McLean CA, Ross LL, Hernandez J, Wesselingh SL, McComsey G
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2005 Mar; 38(3):263-267
- Improvements in Lipoatrophy, Mitochondrial DNA Content amd Adipose Tissue Apoptosis Levels after Replacement of Stavudine with Abacavir or Zidovudine.
McComsey GA, Paulsen DM, Lonergan JT, Hessenthaler SM, Hoppel CL, Williams VC, Fisher RL, Cherry CL, White-Owen C, Thompson KA, Ross ST, Hernandez JE, Ross LL
AIDS. 2005 Jan; 19(1):15-23
- Mitochondrial toxicity of nucleoside analogues: mechanism, monitoring and management.
Cherry CL, Lala L, Wesselingh SL
Sex Health. 2005 Jan; 2(1):1-11
- Assessment of precision and concordance of quantitative mitochondrial DNA assays: a collaborative international quality assurance study.
Emma L Hammond, David Sayer, David Nolan, Ulrich A Walker, Anthony de Ronde, Julio S G Montaner, Helene C F Cote, Michelle E Gahan, Catherine L Cherry, Steven L Wesselingh, Peter Reiss, Simon Mallal
J Clin Virol. 2003 May; 27(1):97-110
- Biological weapons preparedness: the role of physicians.
C L Cherry, M A Kainer, T A Ruff
Intern Med J. 2003 May; 33(5-6):242-253
- Nucleoside analogues and HIV: the combined cost to mitochondria.
Cherry CL, Wesselingh SL
J Antimicrob Chemother. 2003 May; 51(5):1091-1093
- Nucleoside analogues and neuropathy in the era of HAART.
Catherine L Cherry, Justin C McArthur, Jennifer F Hoy, Steven L Wesselingh
J Clin Virol. 2003 Feb; 26(2):195-207
- Quantification of mitochondrial DNA in peripheral blood mononuclear cells and subcutaneous fat using real-time polymerase chain reaction.
M E Gahan, F Miller, S R Lewin, C L Cherry, J F Hoy, A Mijch, F Rosenfeldt, S L Wesselingh
J Clin Virol. 2001 Oct; 22(3):241-247
- "Floss and (nearly) die": dental floss and endocarditis.
A W Jenney, C L Cherry, B Davis, S L Wesselingh
Med J Aust. 2001 Jan; 174(2):107-108
- Non-tropical thoraco-abdominal pyomyositis caused by group A streptococcus in an immunocompetent adult.
C Cherry, K Wiggins, A Mijch, L Ostergaard
Scand J Infect Dis. 2001 Jan; 33(11):854-856
News Articles (1)