Paul Gilson is a molecular biologist primarily interested in how malaria parasites invade and thrive in human red blood cells and avoid host immunity.
Improving our understanding of these basic cellular processes will greatly accelerate our efforts to develop new drugs and vaccines to combat this devastating disease.
- 2019: Fenner Award, Burnet Institute. Awarded for outstanding contribution towards the Institute’s mission
- 2012: Gust-McKenzie medallist, Burnet Institute
- Co-lab head of the Gilson/Crabb laboratory
- Co-head, Malaria Virulence and Drug Discovery Group
- Head of Burnet’s Cell Imaging Facility.