Edwina is an infectious diseases physician and clinical researcher at the Alfred Hospital and the Burnet Institute. With a strong interest in HIV-associated neurological disorders Edwina's work in this area includes studies that address the pathogenesis of HIV infection of the brain and the benefits of different strategies to treat HIV brain infection.
Currently Edwina chairs a large, international clinical trial designed to determine the impact of early antiretroviral treatment strategies upon HIV-associated neurocognitive performance. With regional colleagues she has studied the epidemiology of neurological disorders in the Asia-Pacific region.
She is Chair of the Asia-Pacific NeuroAIDS Consortium (APNAC) and co-Chair of the Australasian National NeuroAIDS Brain and Tissue Bank Project.
Edwina's collaborators include:
- Professor Sunil K Ahuja, Director, Veteran's Administration Center for AIDS and HIV Infection, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas;
- Professor Bruce Brew, Director of Neurology, University of New South Wales, Australia;
- Professor Kevin Robertson, Director- AIDS Neurological Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA;
- and; Dr John Milan, Clinical Specialist, Medical Society of Papua New Guinea.
Edwina boasts a strong commitment to collaborative research projects and initiatives, and is keen to mentor and supervise scientists and clinicians interested in clinical research.
- 2011: PhD, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 1994: FRACP (Infectious Diseases)
- 1986: MBBS, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- 2009-present: Adjunct Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 1997-present: Haemophilia Treatment Centre- Consultant Physician, Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 1996-present: Senior Consultant, Infectious Diseases, Alfred Hospital, Australia
- 2011: NHMRC Early Career Fellowship
- 2010: Research Award - Victorian AIDS Council (VAC) and Gay Men’s Health Centre.
- 2009: People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA)
- 2005: Roche Pharmaceuticals - Research Progress Award for the Australasian Brain and Tissue Bank Project
- 2004: Clinical Excellence Award, People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) FIND Award
- 2002: Monash University Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences Postgraduate Research Scholarship
- 2011: President, Australasian Society of HIV Medicine
- 2008-present: Treatment Policy Advisor- National Association of People Living With HIV/AIDS
- 2008-present: Co-Chair, INSIGHT Neurology Interest Group
- 2008-present: Chair, START Neurology Substudy
- 2002-present: Chair, Asia-Pacific NeuroAIDS Consortium
- 2001-present: Co-Director, Australian National NeuroAIDS Brain and Tissue Bank