Young people experience high levels of substance use disorders, risky sex with consequent sexually transmitted infections (STIs), blood-borne viruses (BBVs), unintentional injuries and interpersonal violence.
Burnet has a strong track record of using innovative methods to understand the key issues affecting young people and implement programs to reduce risk events.
Research and Public Health Focus
- ICT spreading health message to young people
- Leading the way using SMS for sexual health promotion
- Smart phone apps and alcohol
- A study to improve the health and rights of Myanmar men who have sex with men
This research evaluated the effectiveness of ‘Link Up’ services, in men who have sex with men.
- Adolescent reproductive health in Myanmar
A study into reproductive health education through the Monastic Education System in Magway.
- Alcohol advertising on social media
Exploring young people’s opinions to inform future advertising policies and health promotion.
- Altered States: An evaluation of VAC drug and alcohol services
An evaluation of drug and alcohol services at the Victorian AIDS Council targeting GLBTI individuals.
- Assessing adolescent friendly health services in Nepal
Young people in Nepal have poor access to quality, non-discriminatory health services.
- Compass: Women's and Children's Health Knowledge Hub
To increase the effectiveness of aid for women’s and children’s health in Asia and the Pacific
- Defining sexual transmission of hepatitis C among gay men
Defining risk and mechanisms of transmission for acute HCV infection within high-risk populations.
- e-TEST: Enhancing STI/HIV testing in high-risk gay men
eTEST is an intervention and surveillance system that aims to increase STI/HIV testing.
- Friendly HIV services for young key populations in Bandung, Indonesia
A pilot project to increase testing and decrease new HIV infections in Bandung.
- HIV services for young key populations in the Philippines
The Philippines is considering changing laws that require adolescents to seek parental consent for HIV testing. This project will explore options and contribute to better understanding of how new laws might result in improved practices.
- Lancet Commission on Adolescent Health and Wellbeing
The Commission will consider the next steps needed to implement the available evidence in global adolescent health.
- Ma Ma Oo - Maternal and Child Health Radio Series Myanmar
Establishing a health radio program for effective community messaging regarding maternal and child health.
- Menstrual hygiene management in Indonesia
Understanding the impact that menstrual hygiene practices can have on females in developing countries.
- Opportunities to improve the health of behaviourally bisexual men in Vientiane, Laos
Men with bisexual behaviour in Laos engage in high-risk behaviours with low access to sexual health care.
- POINTED Study
POINTED will investigate some of the factors and correlates associated with alcohol-related violence in licensed venues and night0time entertainment precincts across five Australian cities.
- Review of clinical and health promotion services for sex workers within Western Australia
A review of programs, including sexual health promotion programs and clinical services, aimed at the prevention and control of HIV, STIs and blood borne viruses among sex workers in WA.
- SEXT ME UR (.)(.) An investigation of the prevalence and practice of sexting among young Australians
‘Sexting’ is the sending of sexual content via phone or online. This project will examine how common sexting is among young Australians.
- SMS for Health: An acceptability trial of SMS to deliver adolescent sexual and reproductive health and anti-smoking messages to young people in Indonesia
The trial is investigating whether communication technologies can be used to improve sexual and reproductive health knowledge and awareness, access and utilisation of services, and improve awareness of harms related to smoking, in Indonesia.
- Social networking sites for sexual health promotion: a review
Identifying strategies for the use of social networking websites in sexual health promotion.
- Strengthening Monastic School Education in Myanmar
Building capacity and improving quality of the monastic school system via community involvement.
- Substance use and related harms among young people in the Solomon Islands
Quantitative and qualitative research into youth substance use in the Solomon Islands.
- WASH: Interventions for monastic schools in Myanmar
Evaluating the impact of a water, sanitation and hygiene program across three states of Myanmar.