Associate Professor Anderson was trained in Microbiology and Molecular Virology at the University of Melbourne and Fairfield Hospital/BurnetInstitute under Professor Ian Gust and Stephen Locarnini. He received his PhD in 1989.
Since that time his work has focused on understanding the structure and assembly of hepatitis viruses, and the use of this information to design better diagnostics, vaccines and antiviral therapies for control of major viral infections in humans.
Associate Professor Anderson has published more than 60 original research papers and invited chapters. He has presented on original research work at numerous national and international scientific meetings.
He has been active in translation of research into practical outcomes through commercial ventures and academic collaborations and is an inventor on 10 patent families.
- NHMRC Senior Research Fellow (Level B)
- Associate Professor, Dept Microbiology and Immunology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- Associate Senior Lecturer, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- Honorary Burnet Institute Fellow
- 2017-2022: Deputy Director (Partnerships), Burnet Institute
- Deputy Director, Burnet Institute
- 2009: Visiting Associate Professor, Rush University Medical Centre, Chicago, Illinois, USA
- 2003-2008: Chief Scientific Officer, Select Vaccines Ltd
- 2001-2006: Senior Research Fellow (Level A), NHMRC
- 1996: Visiting Associate Research Professor, Department of Medicine, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, USA
- 1995-1999: Principal Investigator, Hepatitis E and B R&D syndicate, Macfarlane Burnet Centre for Medical Research, Victoria, Australia
- 1994-2004: Associate Senior Lecturer, Department of Microbiology, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 1991-1993: Associate Lecturer, Department of Microbiology, University of Melbourne, Australia
- 1991-2002: Head, Hepatitis Research Unit, Macfarlane Burnet Centre for Medical Research, Australia
- 1990-1991: Senior Research Offi cer, Hepatitis Research Unit, Macfarlane Burnet Centre for Medical Research, Australia
- 1988-1989: Research Offi cer, Hepatitis Research Unit, Macfarlane Burnet Centre for Medical Research, Fairfi eld Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- B.Sc(Hons), University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- PhD, University of Melbourne, Australia
- Validation of a novel point-of-care test for alanine aminotransferase measurement: A pilot cohort study.
Howell J, Van H, Pham MD, Sawhney R, Li F, Bhat P, Lubel J, Kemp W, Bloom S, Majumdar A, McCaughan GW, Hall S, Spelman T, Doyle JS, Hellard M, Visvanathan K, Thompson A, Drummer HE, Anderson D
Liver Int. 2023 Jan; Epub ahead of print