Awarded her PhD at Monash University, she then received a NHMRC CJ Martin Fellowship to undertake postdoctoral studies at Columbia University in New York with Professor Stephen Goff on retroviral replication.
In 2002, Associate Professor Tachedjian was recruited to the Burnet Institute. She was awarded a NHMRC RD Wright Career Development Award in 2003 and a NHMRC Senior Research Fellowship in 2009.
A virologist with an interest in basic research and translational studies, her current research interests include elucidating the role of human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) reverse transcriptase (RT) and host cell factors in the replication of retroviruses, HIV drug resistance, identification of novel RT inhibitors, and development of topical microbicides to prevent the transmission of HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.
Major research findings include discovering mutations in the HIV RT that confer resistance to antiretroviral drugs which are incorporated in genotyping algorithms for predicting HIV drug resistance.
Associate Professor Tachedjian developed a yeast two-hybrid assay for studying the interaction between the two subunits of the RT enzyme which was patented. This led to the discovery that potent nonnucleoside RT inhbitors (NNRTIs) enhance RT subunit interaction and can unexpectedly affect the late stages of HIV replication. She discovered that mutations at the RT subunit interface destabilise the RT dimer and abrogate enzyme function and formation of the HIV virion.
Associate Professor Tachedjian has played a major role in the preclinical development of microbicides to prevent the sexual transmission of HIV and was involved in the completion of a phase I clinical study (SPL7013-003) to determine the retention of the dendrimer microbicide VivaGel after vaginal dosing in healthy women. She is also investigating the virucidal role of lactic acid found in the healthy vaginal tract.
- 2013: Principal for Sexual and Reproductive Health, Burnet Institute
- 2011: ASMR representative on the Premiers Award for Health and Medical Research judging panel.
- 2011: Academic Editor, PLoS ONE
- 2009: Principal Burnet Fellow, Burnet Institute
- 2009: Editorial Board, AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses
- 2008: Adjunct Associate Professor, Department of Microbiology, Monash University
- 2007: Editorial Board, The Open Microbiology Journal
- 2005: Editorial Board, Current HIV Research
- 2005: Honorary Senior Lecturer, Department of Microbiology, Monash University
- 2005-2007: Director, ASMR National Committee
- 2005-2010: ASMR Liaison to the Premiers Award for Health and Medical Research
- 2004-2005: Victorian State Convenor, ASMR Medical Research Week
- 2004: Member, National Centre for HIV Epidemiology and Clinical Research Antiretroviral Working Group.
- 2002: Committee Member ASMR MRW, Victorian Branch
- 2011: Head, Retroviral Biology and Antivirals Laboratory, Burnet Institute
- 2003-2010: Head, Molecular Interactions Group, Burnet Institute
- 1997-2001: CJ Martin Postdoctoral Fellow (Laboratory of Professor Stephen P Goff) Columbia University, Department of Biochemistry and Molecular Biophysics, Howard Hughes Medical Institute, New York, USA.
- 1997: PhD in Microbiology, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 1984: BSc (Hons), Monash University, Australia
- 2011: Fellow of the Australian Society for Microbiology (FASM)
- 2009: NHMRC Senior Research Fellowship
- 2008: Nick Crofts Publication Award for top rated publication from the Burnet Institute in 2007
- 2004: CASS Foundation Travel Grant
- 2003: NHMRC RD Wright Career Development Award
- 1997: NHMRC CJ Martin Postdoctoral Fellowship
- 1995: First Prize, Best Oral Presentation, 7th Annual Conference ASHM, Coolum, Australia
- Bats and Rodents Shape Mammalian Retroviral Phylogeny.
Cui J, Gilda Tachedjian G, Wang L-F
Sci Rep. 2015 Nov; 5:16561
- Why Do We Need New Drug Classes for HIV Treatment and Prevention?
Waheed AA, Tachedjian G
Curr Top Med Chem. 2015 Oct; 16(10):1-7
- Antimicrobial and immune modulatory effects of lactic acid and short chain fatty acids produced by vaginal microbiota associated with eubiosis and bacterial vaginosis.
Aldunate M, Srbinovski D, Hearps AC, Latham CF, Ramsland PA, Gugasyan R, Cone RA, Tachedjian G
Front Physiol. 2015 Jun; 6:164
- Identification of mechanistically distinct inhibitors of HIV-1 reverse transcriptase through fragment screening.
La J, Latham CF, Tinetti RN, Johnson A, Tyssen D, Huber KD, Sluis-Cremer N, Simpson JS, Headey SJ, Chalmers DK, Tachedjian G
PNAS. 2015 May; 112(22):6979-6984
- Silent mutations at codons 65 and 66 in reverse transcriptase alleviate indel formation and restore fitness in subtype B HIV-1 containing D67N and K70R drug resistance mutations.
Telwatte S, Hearps AC, Johnson A, Latham CF, Moore K, Agius P, Tachedjian M, Sonza S, Sluis-Cremer N, Harrigan PR, Tachedjian G
Nucleic Acids Res. 2015 Mar; Epub ahead of print
- HIV-1 Infection of T Cells and Macrophages Are Differentially Modulated by Virion-Associated Hck: A Nef-Dependent Phenomenon.
Cornall A, Mak J, Greenway A, Tachedjian G
Viruses. 2013 Sep; 5(9):2235-2252
- Sensitive assessment of the virologic outcomes of stopping and restarting non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor-based antiretroviral therapy.
Geretti AM, Fox Z, Johnson JA, Booth C, Lipscomb J, Stuyver LJ, Tachedjian G, Baxter J, Touloumi G, Lehmann C, Owen A, Phillips A; INSIGHT Strategies for Management of Antiretroviral Therapy (SMART) Study Group.
PLoS One. 2013 Jul; 8(7):e69266
- The seventh (and last?) International Microbicides Conference: from discovery to delivery.
McGregor S, Tachedjian G, Haire BG, Kaldor JM
Sex Health. 2013 May; 10(3):240-245
- Vaginal concentrations of lactic acid potently inactivate HIV.
Aldunate M, Tyssen D, Johnson A, Zakir T, Sonza S, Moench T, Cone R, Tachedjian G
J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013 May; 68(9):2015-25
- The NRTIs Lamivudine, Stavudine and Zidovudine Have Reduced HIV-1 Inhibitory Activity in Astrocytes.
Gray LR, Tachedjian G, Ellett AM, Roche MJ, Cheng WJ, Guillemin GJ, Brew BJ, Turville SG, Wesselingh SL, Gorry PR, Churchill MJ
PLoS One. 2013 Apr; 8(4):e62196
- Identification of diverse full-length endogenous betaretroviruses in megabats and microbats.
Hayward JA, Tachedjian M, Cui J, Field H, Holmes EC, Wang LF, Tachedjian G
Retrovirology. 2013 Mar; 10(1):35
- No association between XMRV or related gammaretroviruses in Australian prostate cancer patients.
Rezaei SD, Hearps AC, Mills J, Pedersen J, Tachedjian G
Virol J. 2013 Jan; 10(1):20
- Host-pathogen interactions of retroviruses.
Waheed AA, Brass AL, Gummuluru S, Tachedjian G
Mol Biol Int. 2012 Oct; 2012:648512
- Biology of Mucosally Transmitted Sexual Infection - Translating the Basic Science Into Novel HIV intervention: A Workshop Summary.
Purcell D, Cunningham A, Turville S, Tachedjian G, Landay A
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2012 Sep; ;28(11):1389-1396
- Phosphatidylethanolamine-binding is a conserved feature of cyclotide-membrane interactions.
Henriques ST, Huang YH, Castanho MA, Bagatolli LA, Sonza S, Tachedjian G, Daly NL, Craik DJ
J Biol Chem. 2012 Aug; 287(40):33629-33643
- N348I in HIV-1 Reverse Transcriptase Counteracts the Synergy Between Zidovudine and Nevirapine.
Yap SH, Herman BD, Radzio J, Sluis-Cremer N, Tachedjian G
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2012 Jun; 61(12):153-157
- Identification of diverse groups of endogenous gammaretroviruses in mega and microbats.
Cui J, Tachedjian G, Tachedjian M, Holmes EC, Zhang S, Wang LF
J Gen Virol. 2012 Jun; 93(Pt 9):2037-2045
- Discovery of retroviral homologs in bats: implications for the origin of mammalian gammaretroviruses.
Cui J, Tachedjian M, Wang L, Tachedjian G, Wang LF, Zhang S
J Virol. 2012 Apr; 86(8):4288-4293
- Identification of residues involved in NS2 homodimerization and elucidation of their impact on the HCV life cycle.
Gorzin AA, Ramsland PA, Tachedjian G, Gowans EJ
J Viral Hepat. 2012 Mar; 19(3):189-198
- SPL7013 Gel (VivaGel®) retains potent HIV-1 and HSV-2 inhibitory activity following vaginal administration in humans.
Price CF, Tyssen D, Sonza S, Davie A, Evans S, Lewis GR, Xia S, Spelman T, Hodsman P, Moench TR, Humberstone A, Paull JR, Tachedjian G
PLoS One. 2011 Sep; 6(9):e24095
- Decoding the membrane activity of the cyclotide kalata B1: the importance of phosphatidylethanolamine phospholipids and lipid organization on hemolytic and anti-HIV activities.
Henriques ST, Huang YH, Rosengren KJ, Franquelim HG, Carvalho FA, Johnson A, Sonza S, Tachedjian G, Castanho MA, Daly NL, Craik DJ
J Biol Chem. 2011 Jul; 286(27):24231-24241
- Virucidal activity of the dendrimer microbicide SPL7013 against HIV-1.
Telwatte S, Moore K, Johnson A, Tyssen D, Sterjovski J, Aldunate M, Gorry PR, Ramsland PA, Lewis GR, Paull JR, Sonza S, Tachedjian G
Antiviral Res. 2011 Jun; 90(3):195-199
- Structure activity relationship of dendrimer microbicides with dual action antiviral activity.
Tyssen D, Henderson SA, Johnson A, Sterjovski J, Moore K, La J, Zanin M, Sonza S, Karellas P, Giannis MP, Krippner G, Wesselingh S, McCarthy T, Gorry PR, Ramsland PA, Cone R, Paull JR, Lewis GR, Tachedjian G
PLoS One. 2010 Aug; 5(8):e12309
- Ubisol-Aqua: coenzyme Q10 prevents antiretroviral toxic neuropathy in an in vitro model.
Cherry CL, Mobarok M, Wesselingh SL, Fain R, Weinstock S, Tachedjian G, Srivastava S, Tyssen DP, Glass JD, Hooker DJ
Curr HIV Res. 2010 Apr; 8(3):232-239
- N348I in reverse transcriptase provides a genetic pathway for HIV-1 to select thymidine analogue mutations and mutations antagonistic to thymidine analogue mutations.
Radzio J, Yap SH, Tachedjian G, Sluis-Cremer N
AIDS. 2010 Mar; 24(5):659-667
- N348I in HIV-1 reverse transcriptase decreases susceptibility to tenofovir and etravirine in combination with other resistance mutations.
Sluis-Cremer N, Moore K, Radzio J, Sonza S, Tachedjian G
AIDS. 2010 Jan; 24(2):317-319
- Effect of reverse transcriptase inhibitors and mutations on the low-cost Cavidi reverse transcriptase viral load assay.
van Rooijen LB, Greengrass V, Morris LM, Plate MM, Gouillou M, Tachedjian G, Sluis-Cremer N, Hearps AC, Crowe SM
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2009 Dec; 52(4):527-529
- Maturation of the HIV reverse transcription complex: putting the jigsaw together.
Warrilow D, Tachedjian G, Harrich D
Rev Med Virol. 2009 Nov; 19(6):324-337
- Enhancement of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 replication is not intrinsic to all polyanion-based microbicides.
Sonza S, Johnson A, Tyssen D, Spelman T, Lewis GR, Paull JR, Tachedjian G
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2009 Aug; 53(8):3565-3568
- The human immunodeficiency virus type 1 nonnucleoside reverse transcriptase inhibitor resistance mutation I132M confers hypersensitivity to nucleoside analogs.
Ambrose Z, Herman BD, Sheen CW, Zelina S, Moore KL, Tachedjian G, Nissley DV, Sluis-Cremer N
J Virol. 2009 Apr; 83(8):3826-3833
- 4th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis, Treatment and Prevention.
Maher L, Tachedjian G, Hoy JF, Millwood I, Guy RJ, Walsh NM, Zaunders JJ, Jaworowski A, Kaldor JM
Med J Aust. 2007 Dec; 187(11-12):610-612
- N348I in the connection domain of HIV-1 reverse transcriptase confers zidovudine and nevirapine resistance.
Yap SH, Sheen CW, Fahey J, Zanin M, Tyssen D, Lima VD, Wynhoven B, Kuiper M, Sluis-Cremer N, Harrigan PR, Tachedjian G
PLoS Med. 2007 Dec; 4(12):e335
- Targeting human immunodeficiency virus type 1 assembly, maturation and budding.
Wapling J, Srivastava S, Shehu-Xhilaga M, Tachedjian G
Drug Target Insights. 2007 Jul; 2:159-182
- Characterization of novel non-nucleoside reverse transcriptase (RT) inhibitor resistance mutations at residues 132 and 135 in the 51 kDa subunit of HIV-1 RT.
Nissley DV, Radzio J, Ambrose Z, Sheen CW, Hamamouch N, Moore KL, Tachedjian G, Sluis-Cremer N
Biochem J. 2007 May; 404(1):151-157
- Alteration of the proline at position 7 of the HIV-1 spacer peptide p1 suppresses viral infectivity in a strain dependent manner.
Hill MK, Bellamy-McIntyre A, Vella LJ, Campbell SM, Marshall JA, Tachedjian G, Mak J
Curr HIV Res. 2007 Jan; 5(1):69-78
- Mutations that abrogate human immunodeficiency virus type 1 reverse transcriptase dimerization affect maturation of the reverse transcriptase heterodimer.
Wapling J, Moore KL, Sonza S, Mak J, Tachedjian G
J Virol. 2005 Aug; 79(16):10247-10257
- Relationship between enzyme activity and dimeric structure of recombinant HIV-1 reverse transcriptase.
Tachedjian G, Radzio J, Sluis-Cremer N
Proteins. 2005 Jul; 60(1):5-13
- Analysis of the contribution of reverse transcriptase and integrase proteins to retroviral RNA dimer conformation.
Buxton P, Tachedjian G, Mak J
J Virol. 2005 May; 79(10):6338-6348
- Evaluation of a low cost reverse transcriptase assay for plasma HIV-1 viral load monitoring.
Greengrass VL, Turnbulll SP, Hocking J, Dunne AL, Tachedjian G, Corrigan GE, Crowe SM
Curr HIV Res. 2005 Apr; 3(2):183-190
- Efavirenz enhances the proteolytic processing of an HIV-1 pol polyprotein precursor and reverse transcriptase homodimer formation.
Tachedjian G, Moore KL, Goff SP, Sluis-Cremer N
FEBS Lett. 2005 Jan; 579(2):379-384
- The packaging and maturation of the HIV-1 Pol proteins.
Hill M, Tachedjian G, Mak J
Curr HIV Res. 2005 Jan; 3(1):73-85
- Antiretroviral compounds: mechanisms underlying failure of HAART to eradicate HIV-1.
Shehu-Xhilaga M, Tachedjian G, Crowe SM, Kedzierska K
Curr Med Chem. 2005 Jan; 12(15):1705-1719
- An in vivo mutation from leucine to tryptophan at position 210 in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 reverse transcriptase contributes to high-level resistance to 3'-azido-3'-deoxythymidine.
Hooker DJ, Tachedjian G, Solomon AE, Gurusinghe AD, Land S, Birch C, Anderson JL, Roy BM, Arnold E, Deacon NJ
J Virol. 1996 Nov; 70(11):8010-8018
- Zidovudine resistance is suppressed by mutations conferring resistance of human immunodeficiency virus type 1 to foscarnet.
Tachedjian G, Mellors J, Bazmi H, Birch C, Mills J
J Virol. 1996 Oct; 70(10):7171-7181
- Characterisation of foscarnet-resistant strains of human immunodeficiency virus type 1.
Tachedjian G, Hooker DJ, Gurusinghe AD, Bazmi H, Deacon NJ, Mellors J, Birch C, Mills J
Virology. 1995 Sep; 212(1):58-68
- Reverse transcriptase mutations in sequential HIV-1 isolates in a patient with AIDS.
Gurusinghe AD, Land SA, Birch C, McGavin C, Hooker DJ, Tachedjian G, Doherty R, Deacon NJ
J Med Virol. 1995 Jul; 46(3):238-243
- Altered sensitivity to antiviral drugs of herpes simplex virus isolates from a patient with the acquired immunodeficiency syndrome.
Birch CJ, Tachedjian G, Doherty RR, Hayes K, Gust ID
J Infect Dis. 1990 Sep; 162(3):731-734
- Investigation of topoisomerase inhibitors for activity
against human immunodeficiency virus: inhibition by
Tachedjian G, Tyssen D, Locarnini S, Gust I, Birch C
Antivir Chem Chemother. 1990 Jul; 12:131-138
- Antiviral strategies in chronic hepatitis B virus infection: II. Inhibition of duck hepatitis B virus in vitro using conventional antiviral agents and supercoiled-DNA active compounds.
Civitico G, Wang YY, Luscombe C, Bishop N, Tachedjian G, Gust I, Locarnini S
J Med Virol. 1990 Jun; 31(2):90-97