An ARC Future Fellow, Associate Professor Fowkes is Deputy Program Director, Maternal and Child Health, at Burnet Institute.
She is involved primarily in examining the epidemiology of malaria and in particular immunology, host genetics and susceptibility to malaria and associated morbidities.
In 2002 she obtained an MSc in Epidemiology from the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, completing her doctorate in 2007 at the University of Oxford. Concurrently at the New York University School of Medicine Freya was appointed a member of faculty on the Masters of Global Public Health in 2005.
Arriving in Melbourne in 2007 as a post-doctoral researcher she specialised in analysing malaria immuno-epidemiological data from large population-based studies.
Freya is an honorary fellow of the School of Population Health at the University of Melbourne and teaches statistics and epidemiology for the Masters of Public Health.
- 2017: Deputy Program Director, Maternal and Child Health, Burnet Institute
- 2016 - Associate Professor, Centre for Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Melbourne School of Population and Global Health, University of Melbourne
- 2014 - present: ARC Future Fellow
- 2012- present: Adjunct Senior Research Fellow, Department of Infectious Diseases, Faculty of Medicine Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University
- 2012- present: Adjunct Senior Research Fellow, Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Nursing and Health Sciences, Monash University
- 2011: Head of Malaria and Infectious Disease Epidemiology, Burnet Institute, Victoria, Australia
- 2010 - 2013: NHMRC Public Health Training Fellow
- 2010-present: Honorary fellow, School of Population Health, University of Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
- 2007-2010: Postdoctoral Fellow, Infection and Immunity Division, The Walter and Eliza Hall Institute of Medical Research, Victoria, Australia
- 2007: Research Associate, Public Health Sciences Department, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- 2004-2007: Research Assistant, Malaria Epidemiology Group, Department of Medical Parasitology, New York University School of Medicine, USA
- 2002-2003: Research Assistant, Malaria Epidemiology Group, Peter Medawar Building for Pathogen Research, Department of Zoology, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- 2001: Research Assistant, Public Health Sciences Department, University of Edinburgh, United Kingdom
- 2007: DPhil, University of Oxford, United Kingdom
- 2002: MSc, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, United Kingdom
- 2001: BSc (Hons), University of Glasgow, United Kingdom
- 2016 Georgina Sweet Award for Women in Quantitative Biomedical Science.
- Accelerating ART initiation among Infants (AAMI Study)
This project will trial the POC VISITECT® CD4 test and POC LYNX HIV p24 early infant diagnostic test.
- ACORN Nutrition Project - PNG
A program to identify and address key determinants of child undernutrition in PNG.
- ANCP Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies
The sustainability and expansion phase of the ANCP Healthy Mothers, Health Babies project.
- Collaborative Community Checklists for Immunisation (CCCI)
Adapting the WHO Immunisation Checklist to increase the uptake of immunisation in Myanmar.
- Developing vaccines against malaria
This project aims to identify key antigens and specific epitopes that are targets of protective immunity.
- Development of a point-of-care test for neonatal sepsis
Aimed at enabling healthcare workers to provide initial diagnosis in resource-constrained settings.
- Discovering the mechanisms and targets of immunity against malaria
Identifying the key targets of protective immunity in people who live in malaria-endemic regions.
- Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies
A collaborative research program aimed at providing life-saving health care for women and children in PNG.
- HMHB - Health Services for Postnatal and Infancy Care
Focuses on services during postnatal period and through the first 12 months in East New Britain, PNG.
- HMHB: The impact of nutrition, malaria and STIs on pregnant women and infants
Determining the major preventable causes of poor maternal health and low birth weight of babies in PNG.
- Immunity to malaria during pregnancy
How are pregnant women affected by infectious diseases such as malaria?
- Immunity, drug efficacy and spread of antimalarial drug resistance
Identifying immune biomarkers to predict antimalarial efficacy is essential.
- Impact of microbiota metabolites on the cervicovaginal mucosa
This study aims to determine the action of lactic acid to treat and prevent vaginal inflammation.
- Improved point-of-care test to eliminate congenital syphilis
Optimising and validating an innovative test to enable immediate treatment at the point of care.
- Increasing demand and uptake of quality, facility-based services, Zimbabwe
Reducing maternal and neonatal deaths in Manicaland Province, Zimbabwe.
- Iron deficiency anaemia and adverse birth outcomes in a malaria-endemic region of Papua New Guinea
What is the prevalence of iron deficiency anaemia, how is it associated with adverse birth outcomes, and is the association modified by malaria?
- MNCH support in Myanmar's Northern Shan State
This project involves Namhsam, Namtu and Manton townships.
- Non-communicable diseases in adolescents in Indonesia
An investigation of the burden of these diseases amongst Indonesian 16-18 year-olds.
- Optima Malaria
Optima Malaria is a quantitative tool that assists with the allocation of budgets for malaria control programs.
- Promoting WASH-nutrition integration in Cambodia
A stakeholder consultation to identify barriers to the efforts to improve WASH and nutrition.
- The Last Taboo: Menstrual hygiene interventions in the Pacific
Research in Fiji, Solomon Islands and Papua New Guinea to understand the challenges around menstruation.
- The Mbereko + Men Model: Rural Zimbabwe
A community-based program to improve MNCH services, care and support in the home.
- Vaccines against Plasmodium vivax and P. falciparum malaria
This involves identifying and prioritising candidate antigens for vaccine development.
- WHISPER and SHOUT - mHealth interventions among Kenyan sex workers
Mobile phone-based health promotions sent to sex workers in Mombasa.
- Young People Matter formative study in Myanmar
The formative study provides evidence of current knowledge and attitudes among adolescents.
- Maximizing the impact of malaria funding through allocative efficiency: using the right interventions in the right locations.
Scott N, Hussain SA, Martin-Hughes R, Fowkes FJI, Kerr CC, Pearson R, Kedziora DJ, Killedar M, Stuart RM, Wilson DP
Malar J. 2017 Sep; 16(1):368
- Syndromic management of sexually transmissible infections in resource-poor settings: a systematic review with meta-analysis of the abnormal vaginal discharge flowchart for Neisseria gonorrhoea and Chlamydia trachomatis.
van Gemert C, Hellard M, Bradshaw CS, Fowkes FJI, Agius PA, Stoove M, Bennett CM
Sex Health. 2017 Aug; Epub ahead of print
- Patterns of protective associations differ for antibodies to P.falciparum-infected erythrocytes and merozoites in immunity against malaria in children.
Chan JA, Stanisic DI, Duffy MF, Robinson LJ, Lin E, Kazura JW, King CL, Siba PM, Fowkes FJ, Mueller I, Beeson JG
Eur J Immunol. 2017 Aug; Epub ahead of print
- Influence of the number and timing of malaria episodes during pregnancy on prematurity and small-for-gestational-age in an area of low transmission.
Moore KA, Simpson JA, Wiladphaingern J, Min AM, Pimanpanarak M, Paw MK, Raksuansak J, Pukrittayakamee S, Fowkes FJI, White NJ, Nosten F, McGready R
BMC Med. 2017 Jun; 15(1):117
- Mediation of the effect of malaria in pregnancy on stillbirth and neonatal death in an area of low transmission: observational data analysis.
Moore KA, Fowkes FJI, Wiladphaingern J, Wai NS, Paw MK, Pimanpanarak M, Carrara VI, Raksuansak J, Simpson JA, White NJ, Nosten F, McGready R
BMC Med. 2017 May; 15(1):98
- Immunity as a predictor of anti-malarial treatment failure: a systematic review.
O'Flaherty K, Maguire J, Simpson JA, Fowkes FJI
Malar J. 2017 Apr; 16(1):158
- Differing rates of antibody acquisition to merozoite antigens in malaria: implications for immunity and surveillance.
McCallum FJ, Persson KM, Fowkes FJ, Reiling L, Mugyenyi CK, Richards JS, Simpson JA, Williams TN, Gilson PR, Hodder AN, Sanders PR, Anders RF, Narum DL, Chitnis C, Crabb BS, Marsh K, Beeson JG.
J Leukoc Biol. 2017 Apr; 101(4):913-925
- Host immunity to Plasmodium falciparum and the assessment of emerging artemisinin resistance in a multinational cohort.
Ataide R, Ashley EA, Powell R, Chan JA, Malloy MJ, O'Flaherty K, Takashima E, Langer C, Tsuboi T, Dondorp AM, Day NP, Dhorda M, Fairhurst RM, Lim P, Amaratunga C, Pukrittayakamee S, Hien TT, Htut Y, Mayxay M, Faiz MA, Beeson JG, Nosten F, Simpson JA, White NJ, Fowkes FJ
PNAS. 2017 Mar; 114(13):3515-3520
- Antibody responses to Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax and prospective risk of Plasmodium spp. infection postpartum.
McLean ARD, Boel M, McGready R, Ataide R, Drew D, Tsuboi T, James G. Beeson JG, Francois Nosten, Julie A. Simpson and Freya J. I. Fowkes
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017 Mar; 96(5):1197-1204
- Peripheral artery disease: epidemiology and global perspectives.
Fowkes FG, Aboyans V, Fowkes FJ, McDermott MM, Sampson UK, Criqui MH
Nature Reviews Cardiology. 2017 Mar; 14(3):156-170
- Inhibition of placental mTOR signaling provides a link between placental malaria and reduced birthweight.
Dimasuay KG, Aitken EH, Rosario F, Njie M, Glazier J, Rogerson SJ, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG, Powell T, Jansson T, Boeuf P
BMC Med. 2017 Jan; 15(1):1
- Recent insights into humoral immunity targeting Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax malaria.
Boyle MJ, Reiling L, Osier FH, Fowkes FJ
Int J Parasitol. 2017 Jan; 47(2-3):99-104
- Achieving development goals for HIV, tuberculosis and malaria in sub-Saharan Africa through integrated antenatal care: barriers and challenges.
Fowkes FJ, Draper BL, Hellard M, Stoové M
BMC Med. 2016 Dec; 14(1):202
- Association between malaria immunity and pregnancy outcomes among Malawian pregnant women receiving nutrient supplementation.
Chandrasiri UP, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG, Richards JS, Kamiza S, Maleta K, Ashorn P, Rogerson SJ
Malar J. 2016 Nov; 15(1):547
- The association between naturally acquired IgG subclass specific antibodies to the PfRH5 invasion complex and protection from Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
Weaver R, Reiling L, Feng G, Drew DR, Mueller I, Siba PM, Tsuboi T, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG
Sci Rep. 2016 Sep; 6:33094
- Antibody responses to Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax blood-stage and sporozoite antigens in the postpartum period.
McLean AR, Boel ME, McGready R, Ataide R, Drew D, Tsuboi T, Beeson JG, Nosten F, Simpson JA, Fowkes FJ
Sci Rep. 2016 Aug; 6:32159
- A malaria vaccine in children with HIV.
Beeson JG, Fowkes FJI
Lancet Infect Dis. 2016 Jul; 16(10):1087-1089
- Water, Sanitation, and Hygiene Facilities and Hygiene Practices Associated with Diarrhea and Vomiting in Monastic Schools, Myanmar.
Weaver ER, Agius PA, Veale H, Dorning K, Hlang TT, Aung PP, Fowkes FJ, Hellard ME
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2016 Jun; 95(2):278-287
- A single point in protein trafficking by Plasmodium falciparum determines the expression of major antigens on the surface of infected erythrocytes targeted by human antibodies.
Chan JA, Howell KB, Langer C, Maier AG, Hasang W, Rogerson SJ, Petter M, Chesson J, Stanisic DI, Duffy MF, Cooke BM, Siba PM, Mueller I, Bull PC, Marsh K, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG
Cell Mol Life Sci. 2016 May; 73(21):4141-4158
- Differences in PfEMP1s recognized by antibodies from patients with uncomplicated or severe malaria.
Duffy MF, Noviyanti R, Tsuboi T, Feng ZP, Trianty L, Sebayang BF, Takashima E, Sumardy F, Lampah DA, Turner L, Lavstsen T, Fowkes FJ, Siba P, Rogerson SJ, Theander TG, Marfurt J, Price RN, Anstey NM, Brown GV, Papenfuss AT
Malar J. 2016 May; 15(1):258
- Maternal-foetal transfer of Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax antibodies in a low transmission setting.
Charnaud SC, McGready R, Herten-Crabb A, Powell R, Guy A, Langer C, Richards JS, Gilson PR, Chotivanich K, Tsuboi T, Narum DL, Pimanpanarak M, Simpson JA, Beeson JG, Nosten F, Fowkes FJ
Sci Rep. 2016 Feb; 6:20859
- Safety of artemisinins in first trimester of prospectively followed pregnancies: an observational study.
Moore KA, Simpson JA, Paw MK, Pimanpanarak M, Wiladphaingern J, Rijken MJ, Jittamala P, White NJ, Fowkes FJ, Nosten F, McGready R
Lancet Infect Dis. 2016 Feb; 16(5): 576-583
- Parasite Strain, Host Immunity, and Circulating Blood Cells with Dead Parasites: Why Predicting Malaria Parasite Clearance Is Not a Simple Task.
Simpson JA, McCaw J, Fowkes FJ
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016 Feb; 60(2):1172
- Merozoite surface proteins in red blood cell invasion, immunity and vaccines against malaria.
Beeson JG, Drew DR, Boyle MJ, Feng G, Fowkes FJ, Richards JS
FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2016 Jan; 40(3):343-372
- Immunity to malaria in an era of declining malaria transmission.
Fowkes FJ, Boeuf P, Beeson JG
Parasitology. 2016 Jan; 143(2):139-153
- Malaria eradication and elimination: views on how to translate a vision into reality.
Tanner M, Greenwood B, Whitty CJ, Ansah EK, Price RN, Dondorp AM, von Seidlein L, Baird JK, Beeson JG, Fowkes FJ, Hemingway J, Marsh K, Osier F
BMC Med. 2015 Jul; 13:167
- Presenting parasitological data: the good, the bad and the error bar.
Zaloumis SG, Fowkes FJ, de Livera A, Simpson JA
Parasitology. 2015 Jun; 142(11):1351-1363
- Estimating Gestational Age in Late Presenters to Antenatal Care in a Resource-Limited Setting on the Thai-Myanmar Border.
Moore KA, Simpson JA, Thomas KH, Rijken MJ, White LJ, Lu Moo Dwell S, Paw MK, Wiladphaingern J, Pukrittayakamee S, Nosten F, Fowkes FJ, McGready R
PLoS One. 2015 Jun; 10(6):e0131025
- The impact of lipid-based nutrient supplementation on anti-malarial antibodies in pregnant women in a randomized controlled trial.
Chandrasiri UP, Fowkes FJ, Richards JS, Langer C7, Fan YM, Taylor SM, Beeson JG, Dewey KG, Maleta K, Ashorn P, Rogerson SJ
Malar J. 2015 May; 14(1):193
- Maximizing antimalarial efficacy and the importance of dosing strategies.
Beeson JG, Boeuf P, Fowkes FJ
BMC Med. 2015 May; 13(1):110
- Plasmodium vivax malaria: challenges in diagnosis, treatment, and elimination.
Beeson JG, Chu C, Richards JS, Nosten F, Fowkes FJ
Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2015 Mar; 34(5):529-531
- Risk factors for malaria and adverse birth outcomes in a prospective cohort of pregnant women resident in a high malaria transmission area of Papua New Guinea.
Stanisic DI, Moore KA, Baiwog F, Ura A, Clapham C, King CL, Siba PM, Beeson JG, Mueller I, Fowkes FJ, Rogerson SJ
Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2015 Mar; 109(5):313-324
- Malaria and immunity during pregnancy and postpartum: a tale of two species.
McLean ARD, Ataide R, Simpson JA, Beeson JG, Fowkes FJ
Parasitology. 2015 Mar; 142(8):999-1015
- Revealing the Sequence and Resulting Cellular Morphology of Receptor-Ligand Interactions during Plasmodium falciparum Invasion of Erythrocytes.
Weiss GE, Gilson PR, Taechalertpaisarn T, Tham WH, de Jong NW, Harvey KL, Fowkes FJ, Barlow PN, Rayner JC, Wright GJ, Cowman AF, Crabb BS
PLoS Pathog. 2015 Feb; 11(2):e1004670
- Acquisition of antibodies against Plasmodium falciparum merozoites and malaria immunity in young children: influence of age, force of infection, and magnitude of response.
Stanisic DI, Fowkes FJ, Koinari M, Javati S, Lin E, Kiniboro B, Richards JS, Robinson LJ, Schofield L, Kazura JW, King CL, Zimmerman P, Felger I, Siba PM, Mueller I, Beeson JG
Infect Immun. 2015 Feb; 83(2):646-660
- Trying to remember: immunological B cell memory to malaria.
Hviid L, Barfod L, Fowkes FJ
Trends Parasitol. 2015 Jan; 31(3):89-94
- Research priorities for the development and implementation of serological tools for malaria surveillance
Elliott SR, Fowkes FJI, Richards JS, Reiling L, Drew DR, Beeson JG
F1000Prime Reports. 2014 Nov; 6:100
- Immunodampening to overcome diversity in the malarial vaccine candidate apical membrane antigen 1.
Harris KS, Adda CG, Khore M, Drew DR, Valentini-Gatt A, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG, Dutta S, Anders RF, Foley M
Infect Immun. 2014 Aug; 82(11):4707-4711
- Immunological markers of P. vivax exposure and immunity: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis
Cutts J, Powell R, Agius PA, Beeson JG, Simpson JA, Fowkes FJI
BMC Medicine. 2014 Aug; 12(1):150
- Surface antigens of Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes as immune targets and malaria vaccine candidates.
Chan JA, Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG
Cell Mol Life Sci. 2014 Apr; 71(19):3633-3657
- Correlates of protection for Plasmodium falciparum malaria vaccine development: current knowledge and future research (Book Chapter)
Beeson JG, Fowkes FJI, Reiling L, Osier FH, Drew DR, Brown GV
Malaria Vaccine Development: Over 40 Years of Trials and Tribulations. 2014 Apr; Chapter 6:81-104
- γδ T cells and CD14+ monocytes are predominant cellular sources of cytokines and chemokines associated with severe malaria.
Stanisic DI, Cutts J, Eriksson E, Fowkes FJ, Rosanas-Urgell A, Siba P, Laman M, Davis TM, Manning L, Mueller I, Schofield L
J Infect Dis. 2014 Feb; 210(2):295-305
- Implications of the licensure of a partially efficacious malaria vaccine on evaluating second-generation vaccines.
Fowkes FJ, Simpson JA, Beeson JG
BMC Med. 2013 Oct; 11:232
- Epistatic interactions between Apolipoprotein E and Hemoglobin S genes in regulation of malaria parasitemia.
Rougeron V, Woods CM, Tiedje KE, Bodeau-Livinec F, Migot-Nabias F, Deloron P, Luty AJ, Fowkes FJ, Day KP
PLoS One. 2013 Oct; 8(10):e76924
- Identification and prioritization of merozoite antigens as targets of protective human immunity to Plasmodium falciparum malaria for vaccine and biomarker development.
Richards JS, Arumugam TU, Reiling L, Healer J, Hodder AN, Fowkes FJ, Cross N, Langer C, Takeo S, Uboldi AD, Thompson JK, Gilson PR, Coppel RL, Siba PM, King CL, Torii M, Chitnis CE, Narum DL, Mueller I, Crabb BS, Cowman AF, Tsuboi T, Beeson JG
J Immunol. 2013 Jun; 191(2):795-809
- Erythrocyte-Binding Antigens of Plasmodium falciparum Are Targets of Human Inhibitory Antibodies and Function To Evade Naturally Acquired Immunity.
Persson KE, Fowkes FJ, McCallum FJ, Gicheru N, Reiling L, Richards JS, Wilson DW, Lopaticki S, Cowman AF, Marsh K, Beeson JG
J Immunol. 2013 Jun; 191(2):785-794
- T-Helper Cell 2-Driven Immunity in Pregnancy as a Determinant of Antiplasmodial Antibody Half-life Through Regulation of Fc-Receptor-Mediated Clearance - Reply
Fowkes FJ, Beeson JG
J Infect Dis. 2013 May; 208(4):705-706
- Antibody boosting and longevity following tetanus immunization during pregnancy.
Fowkes FJ, McGready R, Johnstone-Robertson S, Nosten F, Beeson JG
Clin Infect Dis. 2013 Mar; 56(5):749-750
- PfEMP1 as a target of human immunity and a vaccine candidate against malaria.
Beeson JG, Chan JA, Fowkes FJ
Expert Rev Vaccines. 2013 Feb; 12(2):105-108
- The Plasmodium falciparum erythrocyte invasion ligand Pfrh4 as a target of functional and protective human antibodies against malaria.
Reiling L, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Wilson DW, Chokejindachai W, Barry AE, Tham WH, Stubbs J, Langer C, Donelson J, Michon P, Tavul L, Crabb BS, Siba PM, Cowman AF, Mueller I, Beeson JG
PLoS One. 2012 Sep; 7(9):e45253
- New insights into acquisition, boosting and longevity of immunity to malaria in pregnant women.
Fowkes FJ, McGready R, Cross NJ, Hommel M, Simpson JA, Elliott SR, Richards JS, Lackovic K, Viladpai-Nguen J, Narum D, Tsuboi T, Anders RF, Nosten F, Beeson JG
J Infect Dis. 2012 Sep; 206(10):1612-1621
- Targets of antibodies against Plasmodium falciparum-infected erythrocytes in malaria immunity.
Chan JA, Howell KB, Reiling L, Ataide R, Mackintosh CL, Fowkes FJ, Petter M, Chesson JM, Langer C, Warimwe GM, Duffy MF, Rogerson SJ, Bull PC, Cowman AF, Marsh K, Beeson JG
J Clin Invest. 2012 Sep; 122(9):3227-3238
- Bacterial vaginosis (BV) candidate bacteria: associations with BV and behavioural practices in sexually-experienced and inexperienced women.
Fethers K, Twin J, Fairley CK, Fowkes FJ, Garland SM, Fehler G, Morton AM, Hocking JS, Tabrizi SN, Bradshaw CS
PLoS One. 2012 Feb; 7(2):e30633
- Quantifying the importance of MSP1-19 as a target of growth-inhibitory and protective antibodies against Plasmodium falciparum in humans.
Wilson DW, Fowkes FJ, Gilson PR, Elliott SR, Tavul L, Michon P, Dabod E, Siba PM, Mueller I, Crabb BS, Beeson JG
PLoS One. 2011 Nov; 6(11):e27705
- A phase 1 trial of MSP2-C1, a blood-stage malaria vaccine containing 2 isoforms of MSP2 formulated with Montanide(R) ISA 720.
McCarthy JS, Marjason J, Elliott S, Fahey P, Bang G, Malkin E, Tierney E, Aked-Hurditch H, Adda C, Cross N, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Boyle MJ, Long C, Druilhe P, Beeson JG, Anders RF
PLoS One. 2011 Sep; 6(9):e24413
- Microbiology. Quantifying malaria dynamics within the host.
Day KP, Fowkes FJI
Science. 2011 Aug; 333(6045):943-944
- The stability and complexity of antibody responses to the major surface antigen of Plasmodium falciparum are associated with age in a malaria endemic area.
Barry AE, Trieu A, Fowkes FJ, Pablo J, Kalantari-Dehaghi M, Jasinskas A, Tan X, Kayala MA, Tavul L, Siba PM, Day KP, Baldi P, Felgner PL, Doolan DL
Mol Cell Proteomics. 2011 Aug; 10(11):M111.008326
- Intermittent preventive treatment to reduce the burden of malaria in children: new evidence on integration and delivery.
Beeson JG, Rogerson SJ, Mueller I, Richards JS, Fowkes FJI
PLoS Med. 2011 Feb; 8(2):e1000410
- Evidence that the erythrocyte invasion ligand PfRh2 is a target of protective immunity against Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
Reiling L, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Barry AE, Triglia T, Chokejindachai W, Michon P, Tavul L, Siba PM, Cowman AF, Mueller I, Beeson JG
J Immunol. 2010 Nov; 185(10):6157-6167
- Association between naturally acquired antibodies to erythrocyte-binding antigens of Plasmodium falciparum and protection from malaria and high-density parasitemia.
Richards JS, Stanisic DI, Fowkes FJ, Tavul L, Dabod E, Thompson JK, Kumar S, Chitnis CE, Narum DL, Michon P, Siba PM, Cowman AF, Mueller I, Beeson JG
Clin Infect Dis. 2010 Oct; 51(8):e50-e60
- Antibodies to chondroitin sulfate A-binding infected erythrocytes: dynamics and protection during pregnancy in women receiving intermittent preventive treatment.
Elizabeth H Aitken, Bernard Mbewe, Mari Luntamo, Ken Maleta, Teija Kulmala, Marc-James Friso, Freya J I Fowkes, James G Beeson, Per Ashorn, Stephen J Rogerson
J Infect Dis. 2010 May; 201(9):1316-1325
- Evaluation of the antigenic diversity of placenta-binding Plasmodium falciparum variants and the antibody repertoire among pregnant women.
Mirja Hommel, Salenna R Elliott, Viju Soma, Greg Kelly, Freya J I Fowkes, Joanne M Chesson, Michael F Duffy, Joseph Bockhorst, Marion Avril, Ivo Mueller, Andrew Raiko, Danielle I Stanisic, Stephen J Rogerson, Joseph D Smith, James G Beeson
Infect Immun. 2010 May; 78(5):1963-1978
- The relationship between anti-merozoite antibodies and incidence of Plasmodium falciparum malaria: A systematic review and meta-analysis.
Freya J I Fowkes, Jack S Richards, Julie A Simpson, James G Beeson
PLoS Med. 2010 Jan; 7(1):e1000218
- Scottish smoke-free legislation and trends in smoking cessation.
Freya J I Fowkes, Marlene C W Stewart, F Gerald R Fowkes, Amanda Amos, Jackie F Price
Addiction. 2008 Nov; 103(11):1888-1895
- Acquisition of growth-inhibitory antibodies against blood-stage Plasmodium falciparum.
Fiona J McCallum, Kristina E M Persson, Cleopatra K Mugyenyi, Freya J I Fowkes, Julie A Simpson, Jack S Richards, Thomas N Williams, Kevin Marsh, James G Beeson
PLoS One. 2008 Oct; 3(10):e3571
- Thalassaemia and malaria in Melanesia: Epidemiological Perspectives.
Freya J I Fowkes, Karen P Day
P N G Med J. 2008 Sep; 51(3-4):131-137
- Bypass surgery for chronic lower limb ischaemia.
F Fowkes, G C Leng
Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2008 Apr
- Increased microerythrocyte count in homozygous alpha(+)-thalassaemia contributes to protection against severe malarial anaemia.
Freya J I Fowkes, Stephen J Allen, Angela Allen, Michael P Alpers, David J Weatherall, Karen P Day
PLoS Med. 2008 Mar; 5(3):e56
- Host erythrocyte polymorphisms and exposure to Plasmodium falciparum in Papua New Guinea.
Freya J I Fowkes, Pascal Michon, Lynn Pilling, Ruth M Ripley, Livingstone Tavul, Heather J Imrie, Caira M Woods, Charles S Mgone, Adrian J F Luty, Karen P Day
Malar J. 2008 Jan; 7:1
- Haptoglobin levels are associated with haptoglobin genotype and alpha+ -Thalassemia in a malaria-endemic area.
Heather Imrie, Freya J I Fowkes, Pascal Michon, Livingstone Tavul, Jennifer C C Hume, Karen P Piper, John C Reeder, Karen P Day
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006 Jun; 74(6):965-971
- Association of haptoglobin levels with age, parasite density, and haptoglobin genotype in a malaria-endemic area of Gabon.
Freya J I Fowkes, Heather Imrie, Florence Migot-Nabias, Pascal Michon, Anita Justice, Phillipe Deloron, Adrian J F Luty, Karen P Day
Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006 Jan; 74(1):26-30
News Articles (34)