After completing her BA (Hons)/BSc Rachel joined Burnet as a Research Assistant in 2008. Since then she has worked on a range of projects in sexual health and blood-borne virus epidemiology.
Rachel’s PhD combined epidemiology, phylogenetics, social network analysis and mathematical modelling to study hepatitis C transmission and natural history amongst people who inject drugs. In 2015 she will be commencing an Early Career Fellowship using mathematical modelling to study tuberculosis and other infectious diseases.
- Venue-Based Networks May Underpin HCV Transmissions amongst HIV-Infected Gay and Bisexual Men.
Bradshaw D, Raghwani J, Jacka B, Sacks-Davis R, Lamoury F, Down I, Prestage G, Applegate TL, Hellard M, Sasadeusz J, Dore GJ, Pybus OG, Matthews GV, Danta M
PLoS One. 2016 Sep; 11(9):e0162002
- Hepatitis C elimination by 2030 through treatment and prevention: think global, act in local networks.
Hellard M, Sacks-Davis R, Doyle J
J Epidemiol Commun Health. 2016 Jun; 70:1151-1154
- The role of living context in prescription opioid injection and the associated risk of hepatitis C infection.
Sacks-Davis R, Daniel M, Roy E, Kestens Y, Zang G, Ramos Y, Hellard M, Jutras Aswad D, Bruneau J
Addiction. 2016 May; 111(11):1985-1996
- Response to treatment following recently acquired hepatitis C virus infection in a multicentre collaborative cohort.
Doyle JS, Deterding K, Grebely J, Wedemeyer H, Sacks-Davis R, Spelman T, Matthews G, Rice TM, Morris MD, McGovern BH, Kim AY, Bruneau J, Lloyd AR, Page K, Manns MP, Hellard ME, Dore GJ and the InC3 Study Group.
J Viral Hepat. 2015 Jun; 22(12):1020-1023
- Hepatitis C transmission and treatment as prevention - The role of the injecting network.
Hellard M, McBryde E, Sacks Davis R, Rolls DA, Higgs P, Aitken C, Thompson A, Doyle J, Pattison P, Robins G
Int J Drug Policy. 2015 May; 26(10):958-962
- How "Hidden" Are Unobserved Networks Among People Who Inject Drugs?
Higgs P, Sacks-Davis R, Aitken C, Hellard M
Am J Public Health. 2015 Apr; 105(6):e3
- Hepatitis C virus reinfection and spontaneous clearance of reinfection - the InC3 study.
Sacks-Davis R, Grebely J, Dore GJ, Osburn W, Cox AL, Rice TM, Spelman T, Bruneau J, Prins M, Kim AY, McGovern BH, Shoukry NH, Schinkel J, Allen TM, Morris M, Hajarizadeh B, Maher L, Lloyd AR, Page K, Hellard M; InC3 study group
J Infect Dis. 2015 Apr; 212(9):1407-19
- Patterns of Hepatitis C Virus RNA Levels during Acute Infection: The InC3 Study.
Hajarizadeh B, Grady B, Page K, Kim AY, McGovern BH, Cox AL, Rice TM, Sacks-Davis R, Bruneau J, Morris M, Amin J, Schinkel J, Applegate T, Maher L, Hellard M, Lloyd AR, Prins M, Dore GJ, Grebely J; InC3 Study Group
PLoS One. 2015 Apr; 10(4):e0122232
- Many hepatitis C reinfections that spontaneously clear may be undetected: Markov-chain Monte Carlo analysis of observational study data.
Sacks-Davis R, McBryde E, Grebely J, Hellard M, Vickerman P
J R Soc Interface. 2015 Mar; 12(104)
- The use of social networking platforms for sexual health promotion: identifying key strategies for successful user engagement.
Veale HJ, Sacks-Davis R, Weaver ERN, Pedrana AE, Stoové MA, Hellard ME
BMC Public Health. 2015 Feb; 15(1):85
- Interferon lambda 3 genotype predicts hepatitis C virus RNA levels in early acute infection among people who inject drugs: The InC Study.
Hajarizadeh B, Grady B, Page K, Kim AY, McGovern BH, Cox AL, Rice TM, Sacks-Davis R, Bruneau J, Morris M, Amin J, Schinkel J, Applegate T, Maher L, Hellard M, Lloyd AR, Prins M, Geskus RB, Dore GJ, Grebely J; InC(3)Study Group.
J Clin Virol. 2014 Sep; 61(3):430-434
- The impact of injecting networks on hepatitis C transmission and treatment in people who inject drugs.
Hellard M, Rolls DA, Sacks-Davis R, Robins G, Pattison P, Higgs P, Aitken C, McBryde E
Hepatology. 2014 Aug; 60(6):1861-1870
- A systematic review of immediate HCV RNA testing following HCV Antibody compared with HCV RNA testing at time of assessment for HCV therapy.
Hall K, Sacks-Davis R, Doyle J, Aspinall E, Hutchinson S, Hellard M
Technical Report for the World Health Organisation, Global Hepatitis Programme, Geneva. 2014 Jul
- Young people's comfort receiving sexual health information via social media and other sources.
Lim MS, Vella A, Sacks-Davis R, Hellard ME
Int J STD AIDS. 2014 Mar; 25(14):1003-1008
- Eradication of hepatitis C infection: The importance of targeting people who inject drugs.
Hellard M, Doyle JS, Sacks-Davis R, Thompson AJ, McBryde E
Hepatology. 2014 Jan; 59(2):366-369
- Does informing people who inject drugs of their hepatitis C status influence their injecting behaviour? Analysis of the Networks II study.
Aspinall EJ, Weir A, Sacks-Davis R, Spelman T, Grebely J, Higgs P, Hutchinson SJ, Hellard ME
Int J Drug Policy. 2014 Jan; 25(1):179-182
- Detection of HCV-Specific IFN-gamma Responses in HCV Antibody and HCV RNA Negative Injecting Drug Users.
Flynn JK, Sacks-Davis R, Higgs P, Aitken C, Moneer S, Suppiah V, Tracy L, Ffrench R, Bowden S, Drummer H, George J, Bharadwaj M, Hellard M
Hepat Mon. 2014 Jan; 14(1):e14678
- The effects of female sex, viral genotype, and IL28B genotype on spontaneous clearance of acute hepatitis C Virus infection.
Grebely J, Page K, Sacks-Davis R, Schim van der Loeff M, Rice TM, Bruneau J, Morris MD, Hajarizadeh B, Amin J, Cox AL, Kim AY, McGovern BH, Schinkel J, George J, Shoukry NH, Lauer GM, Maher L, Lloyd AR, Hellard M, Dore GJ, Prins M; the InC3 Study Group
Hepatology. 2014 Jan; 59(1):109-20
- High rates of hepatitis C virus reinfection and spontaneous clearance of reinfection in people who inject drugs: a prospective cohort study.
Sacks-Davis R, Aitken CK, Higgs P, Spelman T, Pedrana AE, Bowden S, Bharadwaj M, Nivarthi UK, Suppiah V, George J, Grebely J, Drummer HE, Hellard M
PLoS One. 2013 Nov; 8(11):e80216
- Hepatitis C transmission and treatment in contact networks of people who inject drugs.
Rolls DA, Sacks-Davis R, Jenkinson R, McBryde E, Pattison P, Robins G, Hellard M
PLoS One. 2013 Nov; 8(11):e78286
- Modelling a disease-relevant contact network of people who inject drugs
Rolls DA, Wang P, Jenkinson R, Pattison PE, Robins GL, Sacks-Davis R, Daraganova G, Hellard M, McBryde E
Soc Net. 2013 Apr; 35(4):699-710
- Hepatitis C virus phylogenetic clustering is associated with the social-injecting network in a cohort of people who inject drugs.
Sacks-Davis R, Daraganova G, Aitken C, Higgs P, Tracy L, Bowden S, Jenkinson R, Rolls D, Pattison P, Robins G, Grebely J, Barry A, Hellard M
PLoS One. 2012 Oct; 7(10):e47335
- Modelling antiviral treatment to prevent hepatitis C infection among people who inject drugs in Victoria, Australia.
Hellard ME, Jenkinson R, Higgs P, Stoové MA, Sacks-Davis R, Gold J, Hickman M, Vickerman P, Martin NK
Med J Aust. 2012 Jun; 196(10):638-641
- Identifying newly acquired cases of hepatitis C using surveillance: a literature review.
Sacks-Davis R, Van Gemert C, Bergeri I, Stoové M, Hellard M
Epidemiol Infect. 2012 Jun; 140(11):1925-1934
- Behavioural interventions for preventing hepatitis C infection in people who inject drugs: A global systematic review.
Sacks-Davis R, Horyniak D, Grebely J, Hellard M
Int J Drug Policy. 2012 May; 23(3):176-184
- The more you look, the more you find: effects of hepatitis C virus testing interval on reinfection incidence and clearance and implications for future vaccine study design.
Vickerman P, Grebely J, Dore GJ, Sacks-Davis R., Page K, Thomas DL, Osburn WO, Cox AL, Aitken CK, Hickman M, Hellard M
J Infect Dis. 2012 May; 205(9):1342-1350
- Modelling hepatitis C transmission over a social network of injecting drug users.
Rolls DA, Daraganova G, Sacks-Davis R, Hellard M, Jenkinson R, McBryde E, Pattison PE, Robins GL
J Theor Biol. 2012 Mar; 297:73-87
- A systematic examination of the use of Online social networking sites for sexual health promotion.
Gold J, Pedrana AE, Sacks-Davis R, Hellard ME, Chang S, Howard S, Keogh L, Hocking JS, Stoové MA
BMC Public Health. 2011 Jul; 11:583
- Barriers to receiving hepatitis C treatment for people who inject drugs: Myths and evidence.
Higgs P, Sacks-Davis R, Gold J, Hellard M
Hepat Mon. 2011 Jul; 11(7):513-518
- The Australian national binge drinking campaign: campaign recognition among young people at a music festival who report risky drinking.
van Gemert C, Dietze P, Gold J, Sacks-Davis R, StoovÃ© M, Vally H, Hellard M
BMC Public Health. 2011 Jun; 11:482