Danielle is a Senior Research Officer in the Behaviours and Health Risks Program. Drawing on over 15 years of experience in epidemiology, social sciences and policy, Danielle conducts mixed-methods research addressing the social and structural determinants of health for migrant populations. Her current priority areas are examining the health impacts of deportation policy and practice and understanding and responding to substance use among migrant and refugee young people. Danielle has also conducted research into illicit drug use and related harms, COVID-19, HIV, sexual and reproductive health, and tuberculosis.
Danielle holds a Bachelor of Biomedical Science (Hons) and a PhD in Epidemiology, both from Monash University, and undertook post-doctoral research with the Division of Global Public Health, University of California San Diego. In 2018–19, Danielle was selected into the inaugural cohort of the Australian Science Policy Fellowship Program, through which she worked with the Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department on elder abuse and human rights policy.
- Adjunct Research Fellow, School of Public Health & Preventive Medicine, Monash University
- Member, Monash Migration and Inclusion Centre Next Generation Network
- 2021: Senior Research Officer (NHMRC Early Career Research Fellow), Burnet Institute
- 2015 – 2020: Research Officer (NHMRC Early Career Research Fellow), Burnet Institute
- 2018 – 2019: Australian Science Policy Fellow, Commonwealth Attorney-General’s Department
- 2015 – 2017: Postdoctoral Scholar, Division of Global Public Health, University of California San Diego
- 2014: Assistant Lecturer, School of Public Health & Preventive Medicine, Monash University
- 2011 – 2014: PhD Candidate, Centre for Population Health, Burnet Institute
- 2014: PhD, Monash University
- 2006: BBiomedSci (Hons), Monash University
- 2018: Ian Potter Foundation Travel Grant
- 2016: Early Career Investigator Travel Award, College of Problems on Drug Dependence
- 2015: Endeavour Research Fellowship
- 2014: PhD Thesis Excellence Award, Monash University School of Public Health & Preventive Medicine
- 2014: Monash University Postgraduate Publication Award
- 2013: Miller Foundation Public Health Travel Award
- 2012: Monash University Postgraduate Travel Award
Exploring alcohol and other drug use among migrant communities in Victoria
The Optimise Study: Optimising Isolation, Quarantine and Distancing for COVID-19
- Detecting Mycobacterium tuberculosis Infection in Children Migrating to Australia.
Laemmle-Ruff I, Graham SM, Williams B, Horyniak D, Majumdar SS, Paxton GA, Soares Caplice LV, Hellard ME, Trauer JM
Emerg Infect Dis. 2022 Sep; 28(9):1833-1841
- "You have to drink with a little bit of shame": Alcohol and other drug use among young people from migrant and ethnic minority backgrounds in Melbourne, Australia.
Douglass CH, Block K, Eghrari D, Horyniak D, Hellard ME, Lim MSC
J Ehn Subst Abuse. 2022 Jun; Epub ahead of print
- Exploring stigma associated with mental health conditions and alcohol and other drug use among people from migrant and ethnic minority backgrounds: a protocol for a systematic review of qualitative studies.
Douglass CH, Lim MSC, Block K, Onsando G, Hellard M, Higgs P, Livingstone C, Horyniak D
Syst Rev. 2022 Jan; 11(1):12
- Perceived physical health outcomes of direct-acting antiviral treatment for hepatitis C: a qualitative study.
Goutzamanis S, Horyniak D, Doyle JS, Hellard M, Higgs P; Treatment and Prevention Study group
Harm Reduct J. 2021 Jul; 18(1):73
- Addressing alcohol and other drug use among young people from migrant and ethnic minority backgrounds: Perspectives of service providers in Melbourne, Australia.
Douglass CH, Block K, Horyniak D, Hellard ME, Lim MSC
Health Soc Care Community. 2021 Apr; 29(6):e308-e317
- Tuberculosis in migrants to Australia: Outcomes of a national screening program.
Trauer JM, Williams B, Laemmie-Ruff I, Horyniak D, Soares Caplice LV, McBrtde ES, Majumdar SS, Graem SM, Hellard ME
Lancet Reg Health - West Pac. 2021 Mar; 10:100135
- The Optimise Study: Vaccine preparedness. (PUBLIC HEALTH REPORT)
Saich F, Heath K, Altermatt A, Merner B, Hill S, Pedrana A, Munari S, Horyniak D, Walker S, Wallace J, Block K, Gibbs L, Gibney K, Hellard M
Optimise Study. 2021 Mar; Report 4:1-8
- Peer to peer communication about hepatitis C treatment amongst people who inject drugs: A longitudinal qualitative study.
Goutzamanis S, Doyle JS, Horyniak D, Higgs P, Hellard M; TAP study group
Int J Drug Policy. 2021 Jan; 87:102983
- The Importance of Immediate Linkage to Health and Social Support Services for Deported Migrants.
Pantano B, Higgs P, Horyniak D
Med Care. 2021 Jan; 59(1):91
- Psychometric properties of measures of substance use: a systematic review and meta-analysis of reliability, validity and diagnostic test accuracy.
Santos GM, Strathdee SA, El-Bassel N, Patel P, Subramanian D, Horyniak D, Cook RR, McCullagh C, Marotta P, Choksi F, Kang B, Allen I, Shoptaw S
BMC Med Res Methodol. 2020 May; 20(1):106
- Trends in late and advanced HIV diagnoses among migrants in Australia; implications for progress on Fast-Track targets: A retrospective observational study.
Marukutira T, Gunaratnam P, Douglass C, Jamil MS, McGregor S, Guy R, Gray RT, Spelman T, Horyniak D, Higgins N, Giele C, Crowe SM, Stoové M, Hellard M
Medicine. 2020 Feb; 99(8):e19289
- Commentary on Arunogiri et al. (2019): Findings from surveillance of patterns of drug use and related harms need careful interpretation, promotion and response.
Dietze P, Horyniak D
Addiction. 2020 Jan; 115(3):480-481
- Safe sex in chick lit: a ‘novel’ analysis of sexual health
references in popular women’s fiction.
Lim MSC, Hellard ME, Horyniak
Sex Health. 2018 Jul; 15(5):468-472
- Predictors of injecting cessation among a cohort of people who inject drugs in Tijuana, Mexico.
Horyniak D, Strathdee SA, West BS, Meacham M, Rangel G, Gaines TL
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2018 Feb; 185:298-304
- Injection Drug Use Trajectories Among Migrant Populations: A Narrative Review.
Melo JS, Mittal ML, Horyniak D, Strathdee SA, Werb D
Subst Use Misuse. 2018 Jan; 53(9):1558-1570
- Deportation of non-citizen military veterans: A critical analysis of implications for the right to health.
Horyniak D, Bojorquez I, Armenta RF, Davidson PJ
Glob Public Health. 2018 Jan; 13(10):1369-1381
- The experience of initiating injection drug use and its social context: A qualitative systematic review and thematic synthesis.
Guise A, Horyniak D, Melo J, McNeill R, Werb D
Addiction. 2017 Jul; 112(12):2098-2111
- Cross-border injection drug use and HIV and hepatitis C virus seropositivity among people who inject drugs in San Diego, California.
Horyniak D, Wagner KD, Armenta RF, Cuevas-Mota J, Hendrickson E, Garfein RS
J Int AIDS Soc. 2017 Jul; 47:9-17
- Trends in reports of driving following illicit drug consumption among regular drug users in Australia, 2007-2013: Has random roadside drug testing had a deterrent effect?
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Lenton S, Alati R, Bruno R, Matthews A, Breen C, Burns L
Accid Anal Prev. 2017 May; 104:146-155
- The role of respect in interactions with police among substance-using African refugee young people in Melbourne, Australia
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P
J Ethn Crim Just. 2017 Feb; 15(2):185-204
- Relationships Between Integration and Drug Use Among Deported Migrants in Tijuana, Mexico.
Horyniak D, Pinedo M, Burgos JL, Ojeda VD.
J Immigr Minor Health. 2017 Jan; 19(5):1196-1206
- Exploring attitudes towards sexting of young people: a cross-sectional study.
Lim MS, Vella AM, Horyniak DR, Hellard ME
Sexual Health. 2016 Oct; 13(6):530-535
- Epidemiology of Substance Use among Forced Migrants: A Global Systematic Review.
Horyniak D, Melo JS, Farrell RM, Ojeda VD, Strathdee SA
PLoS One. 2016 Jul; 11(7):e0159134
- Heavy alcohol consumption among marginalised African refugee young people in Melbourne, Australia: motivations for drinking, experiences of alcohol-related problems and strategies for managing drinking.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T
Ethn Health. 2016 Mar; 21(3):284-299
- Age-related differences in patterns of criminal activity among a large sample of polydrug injectors in Australia.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Degenhardt. L, Agius P, Higgs P, Bruno R, Alati R, Burns L
J Subst Abuse. 2016 Jan; 22(1):48-56
- From initiating injecting drug use to regular injecting: Retrospective survival analysis of injecting progression within a sample of people who inject drugs regularly.
O'Keefe D, Horyniak D, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2016 Jan; 158:177-180
- Patterns of, and Factors Associated With, Illicit Pharmaceutical Opioid Analgesic Use in a Prospective Cohort of People Who Inject Drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Agius PA, Degenhardt L, Reddel S, Higgs P, Aitken C, Stoové M, Dietze P
Subst Use Misuse. 2015 Nov; 50(13):1650-1659
- How do drug market changes affect characteristics of injecting initiation and subsequent patterns of drug use? Findings from a cohort of regular heroin and methamphetamine injectors in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Stoové M, Degenhardt L, Aitken C, Kerr T, Dietze P
Int J Drug Policy. 2015 Jan; 26(1):43-50
- Effect of Intubation for Gamma-hydroxybutyric Acid Overdose on Emergency Department Length of Stay and Hospital Admission.
Dietze P, Horyniak D, Agius P, Munir V, Smit DV, Johnston J, Fry CL, Degenhardt L
Acad Emerg Med. 2014 Nov; 21(11):1226-1231
- Experiences of and Attitudes Toward Injecting Drug Use Among Marginalized African Migrant and Refugee Youth in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Cogger S, Dietze P, Bofu T, Seid G
J Ethn Subst Abuse. 2014 Oct; 13(4):405-429
- Prevalence, correlates, and attitudes towards sexting among young people in Melbourne, Australia
Yeung T, Horyniak D, Vella A, Hellard M, Lim M
Sex Healtrh. 2014 Jul; 11(4):332-339
- Pattern and characteristics of ecstasy and related drug (ERD) presentations at two hospital emergency departments, Melbourne, Australia, 2008-2010.
Horyniak D, Degenhardt L, Smit DV, Munir V, Johnston J, Fry C, Dietze P
Emerg Med J. 2014 Jan; 31(4):317-322
- Establishing the Melbourne injecting drug user cohort study (MIX): rationale, methods, and baseline and twelve-month follow-up results.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Jenkinson R, Degenhardt L, Stoové M, Kerr T, Hickman M, Aitken C, Dietze P
Harm Reduct J. 2013 Jun; 10(1):11
- The relationship between age and risky injecting behaviours among a sample of Australian people who inject drugs.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Degenhardt L, Higgs P, McIlwraith F, Alati R, Bruno R, Lenton S, Burns L
Drug Alcohol Depend. 2013 May; 132(3):541-6
- “Let’s Get Wasted!” and Other Apps: Characteristics, Acceptability, and Use of Alcohol-Related Smartphone Applications
Weaver ER, Horyniak DR Jenkinson R, Dietze P, Lim MSC
JMIR Mhealth Uhealth. 2013 Feb; 1(1):E9
- Injecting drug use and related health behaviours in a small case series of East African migrants in Melbourne.
Horyniak D, Higgs P, Degenhardt L, Cogger S, Power R, Dietze P
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2012 Dec; 36(6):586-587
- The use of alprazolam by people who inject drugs in Melbourne, Australia.
Horyniak D, Reddel S, Quinn B, Dietze P
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2012 Jun; 31(4):585-590
- Behavioural interventions for preventing hepatitis C infection in people who inject drugs: A global systematic review.
Sacks-Davis R, Horyniak D, Grebely J, Hellard M
Int J Drug Policy. 2012 May; 23(3):176-184
- Post-marketing surveillance of buprenorphine-naloxone in Australia: diversion, injection and adherence with supervised dosing.
Larance B, Degenhardt L, Lintzeris N, Bell J, Winstock A, Dietze P, Mattick R, Ali R, Horyniak D
Drug Alcohol Dependence:. 2011 Nov; 118(2-3):265-273
- Global epidemiology of hepatitis B and hepatitis C in people who inject drugs: results of systematic reviews.
Nelson PK, Mathers BM, Cowie B, Hagan H, Des Jarlais D, Horyniak D, Degenhardt L
Lancet. 2011 Aug; 378(9791):571-583
- The prevalence and correlates of buprenorphine inhalation amongst opioid substitution treatment (OST) clients in Australia.
Horyniak D, Dietze P, Larance B, Winstock A, Degenhardt L
Int J Drug Policy. 2011 Mar; 22(2):167-171
News Articles (5)