Edwina is an infectious diseases physician and clinical researcher at the Alfred Hospital and the Burnet Institute. With a strong interest in HIV-associated neurological disorders Edwina’s work in this area includes studies that address the pathogenesis of HIV infection of the brain and the benefits of different strategies to treat HIV brain infection.
Currently Edwina chairs a large, international clinical trial designed to determine the impact of early antiretroviral treatment strategies upon HIV-associated neurocognitive performance. With regional colleagues she has studied the epidemiology of neurological disorders in the Asia-Pacific region. She is Chair of the Asia-Pacific NeuroAIDS Consortium (APNAC) and co-Chair of the Australasian National NeuroAIDS Brain and Tissue Bank Project.
Edwina’s collaborators include:
- Professor Sunil K Ahuja, Director, Veteran’s Administration Center for AIDS and HIV Infection, University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas;
- Professor Bruce Brew, Director of Neurology, University of New South Wales, Australia;
- Professor Kevin Robertson, Director- AIDS Neurological Center, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, USA; and
- Dr John Milan, Clinical Specialist, Medical Society of Papua New Guinea.
Edwina boasts a strong commitment to collaborative research projects and initiatives, and is keen to mentor and supervise scientists and clinicians interested in clinical research.
- 2009-present: Adjunct Lecturer, Faculty of Medicine, Nursing & Health Sciences, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 1997-present: Haemophilia Treatment Centre- Consultant Physician, Alfred Hospital, Victoria, Australia
- 1996-present: Senior Consultant, Infectious Diseases, Alfred Hospital, Australia
- 2011: President, Australasian Society of HIV Medicine
- 2008-present: Treatment Policy Advisor- National Association of People Living With HIV/AIDS
- 2008-present: Co-Chair, INSIGHT Neurology Interest Group
- 2008-present: Chair, START Neurology Substudy
- 2002-present: Chair, Asia-Pacific NeuroAIDS Consortium
- 2001-present: Co-Director, Australian National NeuroAIDS Brain and Tissue Bank
- 2011: PhD, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 1994: FRACP (Infectious Diseases)
- 1986: MBBS, University of Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
- 2011: NHMRC Early Career Fellowship
- 2010: Research Award - Victorian AIDS Council (VAC) and Gay Men’s Health Centre.
- 2009: People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA)
- 2005: Roche Pharmaceuticals - Research Progress Award for the Australasian Brain and Tissue Bank Project
- 2004: Clinical Excellence Award, People Living with HIV/AIDS (PLWHA) FIND Award
- 2002: Monash University Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences Postgraduate Research Scholarship
- Factors associated with neurocognitive test performance at baseline: a substudy of the INSIGHT Strategic Timing of AntiRetroviral Treatment (START) trial.
Wright E, Grund B, Cysique, Robertson K, Brew B, Collins G, Shlay J, Winston A, Read T, Price R; International Network for Strategic Initiatives in Global HIV Trials (INSIGHT) START Study Group.
HIV Med. 2015 Apr; 16 Suppl S1:97-108
- Impact of antiretroviral therapy (ART) timing on chronic immune activation/inflammation and end-organ damage.
Rajasuriar R, Wright E, Lewin SR
Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2015 Jan; 10(1):35-42
- Influence of the Timing of Antiretroviral Therapy on the Potential for Normalization of Immune Status in Human Immunodeficiency Virus 1-Infected Individuals.
Okulicz JF, Le TD, Agan BK, Camargo JF, Landrum ML, Wright E, Dolan MJ, Ganesan A, Ferguson TM, Smith DM, Richman DD, Little SJ, Clark RA, He W, Ahuja SK.
JAMA Intern Med. 2015 Jan; 175(1):88-99
- Neuro OIs: developed and developing countries.
Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2014 Sep; 9(6):539-544
- Bringing new HIV infections to zero - opportunities and challenges offered by antiretroviral-based prevention in Asia, the Pacific and beyond: An overview of this special issue.
Zablotska IB, Whittaker B, de Wit J, Kamarulzaman A, Ananworanich J, Wright E, Poynten IM, Mayer K
Sex Health. 2014 Jul; 11(2):97-100
- Symptoms of depression and rates of neurocognitive impairment in HIV positive patients in Beijing, China.
Dwyer R, Wenhui L, Cysique L, Brew BJ, Lal L, Bain P, Wesselingh S, Wright EJ
J Affect Disord. 2014 Jun; 162:89-95
- Australian prescribers' perspectives on ART initiation in the era of "treatment as prevention".
Mao L, de Wit J, Adam P, Post JJ, Crooks L, Kidd MR, Slavin S, Kippax S, Wright E
AIDS Care. 2013 Nov; 25(11):1375-1379
- Improved neurocognitive test performance in both arms of the SMART study: impact of practice effect.
Grund B, Wright EJ, Brew BJ, Price RW, Roediger MP, Bain MP, Hoy JF, Shlay JC, Vjecha MJ, Robertson KR; for the INSIGHT SMART Study Group
J Neurovirol. 2013 Aug; 19(4):383-392
- Enhanced CD4+ T-Cell Recovery with Earlier HIV-1 Antiretroviral Therapy
Le T, Wright EJ, Smith DM, He W, Catano G, Okulicz JF, Young JA, Clark RA, Richman DD, Little SJ, Ahuja SK
NEJM. 2013 Jan; 368(3):218-230
- Non-occupational post-exposure prophylaxis in Victoria, Australia: responding to high rates of re-presentation and low rates of follow-up.
Armishaw J, Hoy JF, Watson KM, Wright EJ, Price BG, Pierce AB
Int J STD AIDS. 2011 Dec; 22(12):714-718
- Does use of antiretroviral therapy regimens with high central nervous system penetration improve survival in HIV-infected adults?
McManus H, Li P, Nolan D, Bloch M, Kiertiburanakul S, Choi J, Mulhall B, Petoumenos K, Zhou J, Law M, Brew B, Wright E
HIV Med. 2011 Aug; 12(10):610-619
- Neurocognitive impairment and neuroCART.
Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2011 Jul; 6(4):303-308
- Thymic plasmacytoid dendritic cells are susceptible to productive HIV-1 infection and efficiently transfer R5 HIV-1 to thymocytes in vitro.
Evans VA, Lal L, Akkina R, Solomon A, Wright E, Lewin SR, Cameron PU
Retrovirology. 2011 Jun; 8:43
- HIV seroconversions among male non-occupational post-exposure prophylaxis service users: a data linkage study.
Pierce AB, Yohannes K, Guy R, Watson KM, Armishaw J, Price B, Hoy JF, Wright EJ, StoovÃ© MA
Sex Health. 2011 Jun; 8(2):179-183
- Duffy-null-associated low neutrophil counts influence HIV-1 susceptibility in high-risk South African black women.
Ramsuran V, Kulkarni H, He W, Mlisana K, Wright EJ, Werner L, Castiblanco J, Dhanda R, Le T, Dolan MJ, Guan W, Weiss RA, Clark RA, Abdool Karim SS, Ahuja SK, Ndung'u T
Clin Infect Dis. 2011 May; 52(10):1248-1256
- HIV and age do not substantially interact in HIV-associated neurocognitive impairment.
Lucette A Cysique, Paul Maruff, Margaret P Bain, Edwina Wright, Bruce J Brew
J Neuropsychiatry Clin Neurosci. 2011 Jan; 23(1):83-89
- The Duffy-null state is associated with a survival advantage in leukopenic HIV-infected persons of African ancestry.
Kulkarni H, Marconi VC, He W, Landrum ML, Okulicz JF, Delmar J, Kazandjian D, Castiblanco J, Ahuja SS, Wright EJ, Weiss RA, Clark RA, Dolan MJ, Ahuja SK.
Blood. 2009 Sep; 114(13):2783-2792
- Neurological disease: the effects of HIV and antiretroviral therapy and the implications for early antiretroviral therapy initiation.
Edwina J Wright
Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2009 Sep; 4(5):447-452
- Development and management of systemic lupus erythematosus in an HIV-infected man with hepatitis C and B co-infection following interferon therapy: a case report.
Abbott IJ, Chang CC, Skinner MJ, Street A, Perry G, McLean C, Wright EJ, Cameron PU
J Med Case Rep. 2009 Jun; 3:7289
- HCV treatment with pegylated interferon and ribavirin in patients with haemophilia and HIV/HCV co-infection.
J T Denholm, E J Wright, A Street, J J Sasadeusz
Haemophilia. 2009 Mar; 15(2):538-543
- NeuroAIDS in the Asia Pacific Region.
Wright EJ, Nunn M, Joseph J, Robertson K, Lal L, Brew BJ
J Neurovirol. 2008 Nov; 14(6):465-473
- Pathogenesis and diagnosis of viral infections of the nervous system.
Wright EJ, Brew BJ, Wesselingh SL
Neurol Clin. 2008 Aug; 26(3):617-33
- Neurologic disorders are prevalent in HIV-positive outpatients in the Asia-Pacific region.
Wright E, Brew B, Arayawichanont A, Robertson K, Samintharapanya K, Kongsaengdao S, Lim M, Vonthanak S, Lal L, Sarim C, Huffam S, Li P, Imran D, Lewis J, Lun WH, Kamarulzaman A, Tau G, Ali ST, Kishore K, Bain MP, Dwyer R, McCormack G, Hellard M, Cherry C, McArthur J, Wesselingh S
Neurology. 2008 Jul; 71(1):50-56
- Immune reconstitution disease of the central nervous system.
Torok ME, Kambugu A, Wright E
Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2008 Jul; 3(4):438-445
- Response to Birbeck et al. Lack of appropriate treatment for people with comorbid HIV/AIDS and epilepsy in sub-Saharan Africa. [Epilepsia. 2007]
Wright E, Brew BJ, Lal L, Ali ST, Arayawichanont A, Imran D, Kamarulzaman A, Kongsaengdao S, Kruy L, Merati TP, Samintharapanya K, Sarim C, Tau G, Thangsing C, Vin-Samnang C, Wesselingh SL
Epilepsia. 2008 Mar; 49(3):541-543
- The safety and efficacy of enfuvirtide therapy for HIV infection in patients with hemophilia: a case series.
Mark N Polizzotto, Alison M Street, Edwina Wright
Clin Infect Dis. 2007 Aug; 45(4):e39-e41
- Hepatitis C in psychiatry inpatients: testing rates, prevalence and risk behaviours.
Cameron Lacey, Steve Ellen, Harriet Devlin, Edwina Wright, Anne Mijch
Australas Psychiatry. 2007 Aug; 15(4):315-319
- Human immunodeficiency virus-associated progressive multifocal leucoencephalopathy: epidemiology and predictive factors for prolonged survival.
A K Drake, C T Loy, B J Brew, T C C Chen, K Petoumenos, P C K Li, E J Wright
Eur J Neurol. 2007 Apr; 14(4):418-423
- AIDS-related plasmablastic lymphoma of the oral cavity associated with an IGH/MYC translocation--treatment with autologous stem-cell transplantation in a patient with severe haemophilia-A.
Mark A Dawson, Anthony P Schwarer, Catriona McLean, Paul Oei, Lynda J Campbell, Edwina Wright, Jake Shortt, Alison M Street
Haematologica. 2007 Jan; 92(1):e11-e12
- Fertility and reproductive choice in women with HIV-1 infection.
S V Thackway, V Furner, A Mijch, D A Cooper, D Holland, P Martinez, D Shaw, I van Beek, E Wright, K Clezy, J M Kaldor
AIDS. 1997 Apr; 11(5):663-667