Contents: (370 pages)
Introduction to the First Edition
Introduction to the Second Edition
Section 1 - Background and Rationale p9
Chapter One - Drug Use and HIV Vulnerability p11
• The history of the drug trade in Asia • Emerging trends: drug use • Explosive epidemics • HIV among IDUs in Asia and the West.
Chapter Two - Rationale for Harm Reduction p 33
• A practical approach • Harm reduction: common elements • Education • Needle and syringe programs • Drug treatment and substitution programs • Peer education • Sales and purchasing of injecting equipment • Primary health care • Counselling and testing • Removing barriers • Special groups and circumstances.
Chapter Three - Balancing and Integrating the Approach of Supply Reduction, Demand Reduction and Harm Reduction p43
• Supply reduction; cultivation, processing, transport, distribution, finance • Demand reduction; education about drugs, treatment for drug abuse, community development • Harm reduction • Summary of the three approaches.
• Briefing Paper One 59
– Injecting Drug Use and AIDS: An Explosive Combination
• Briefing Paper Two
– Mapping Drug use in Asia in the Context of HIV/AIDS
• Briefing Paper Three
– A Review of Amphetamine Type Substances
• Briefing Paper Four
– Care and Support of Injecting Drug Users
with HIV and AIDS