COVID-19 represents an unprecedented health, social and economic challenge in Australia and around the world. Support Burnet’s COVID-19 emergency response today.
December, 2016 (5)
- Achieving development goals for HIV, tuberculosis and malaria in sub-Saharan Africa through integrated antenatal care: barriers and challenges.
Fowkes FJ, Draper BL, Hellard M, Stoové M
BMC Med. 2016 Dec; 14(1):202
- A longitudinal cohort study of HIV 'treatment as prevention' in gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men: the Treatment with Antiretrovirals and their Impact on Positive And Negative men (TAIPAN) study protocol.
Callander D, Stoové M, Carr A, Hoy JF, Petoumenos K, Hellard M, Elliot J, Templeton DJ, Liaw S, Wilson DP, Grulich A, Cooper DA, Pedrana A, Donovan B, McMahon J, Prestage G, Holt M, Fairley CK, McKellar-Stewart N, Ruth S, Asselin J, Keen P, Cooper C, Allan B, Kaldor JM, Guy R
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Dec; 16(1):752
- Quantifying adaptive and innate immune responses in HIV-infected participants using a novel high throughput assay.
Yong MK, Cameron PU, Spelman T, Elliott JH, Fairley CK, Boyle J, Miyamasu M, Lewin SR
PLoS One. 2016 Dec; 11(12):e0166549
- GBD 2015 and HIV estimates from the Optima model.
Kelly SL, Wilson DP
Lancet HIV. 2016 Dec; 3(12):e558
- Eliminating HIV & AIDS in India: A roadmap to zero new HIV infections, zero discrimination & zero AIDS-related deaths.
Palchaudhuri R, Niggl M, Palmer CS
Indian J Med Res. 2016 Dec; 144(6):789-792
November, 2016 (3)
- Immunometabolism may provide new insights into novel mechanisms of HIV reservoir persistence.
Palmer CS, Crowe SM
AIDS. 2016 Nov; 30(18):2895-6
- Allocative and implementation efficiency in HIV prevention and treatment for people who inject drugs.
Benedikt C, Kelly SL, Wilson D, Wilson DP and the Optima Consortium
Int J Drug Policy. 2016 Nov; 38:73-80
- Frequency and Env determinants of HIV-1 subtype C strains from antiretroviral therapy-naive subjects that display incomplete inhibition by maraviroc.
Borm K, Jakobsen MR, Cashin K, Flynn JK, Ellenberg P, Ostergaard L, Lee B, Churchill MJ, Roche M, Gorry PR
Retrovirology. 2016 Nov; 13(1):74
October, 2016 (3)
- A nurse-led intervention improved blood-borne virus testing and vaccination in Victorian prisons.
Winter RJ, White B, Kinner SA, Stoové M, Guy R, Hellard ME
Aust N Z J Public Health. 2016 Oct; 40(6):592-594
- Performance of point-of-care CD4 testing technologies in resource-constrained settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Pham MD, Agius PA, Romero L, McGlynn P, Anderson D, Crowe SM, Luchters S
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Oct; 16(1):592
- Epidemiology of HPV Genotypes among HIV Positive Women in Kenya: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
Menon S, Wusiman A, Boily MC, Kariisa M, Mabeya H, Luchters S, Forland F, Rossi R, Callens S, Vanden Broeck D
PLoS One. 2016 Oct; 11(10):e0163965
September, 2016 (4)
- Increasing Prevalence of Synonymous Mutations K65K and K66K in HIV-1 subtype B reverse transcriptase.
Telwatte S, Brumme CJ, Hearps AC, Latham CF, Hayward JA, Sonza S, Sluis-Cremer N, Harrigan PR, Tachedjian G
AIDS. 2016 Sep; 30(18):2787-2793
- Venue-Based Networks May Underpin HCV Transmissions amongst HIV-Infected Gay and Bisexual Men.
Bradshaw D, Raghwani J, Jacka B, Sacks-Davis R, Lamoury F, Down I, Prestage G, Applegate TL, Hellard M, Sasadeusz J, Dore GJ, Pybus OG, Matthews GV, Danta M
PLoS One. 2016 Sep; 11(9):e0162002
- Dotting the Three I's for collaborative TB-HIV activities: evaluation of a pilot programme in Kathmandu, Nepal.
Sah SK, Sahu SK, Lamichhane B, Bhatta GK, Bhandari KB, Owiti P, Majumdar SS
Public Health Action. 2016 Sep; 6(3):169-175
- A 'test and treat' prevention strategy in Australia requires innovative HIV testing models: a cohort study of repeat testing among 'high-risk' men who have sex with men.
Wilkinson AL, El-Hayek C, Spelman T, Fairley CK, Leslie D, McBryde ES, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Transm Infect. 2016 Sep; 92(6):464-466
August, 2016 (3)
- Characteristics of gay, bisexual and other men who have sex with men testing and retesting at Australia’s first shop-front rapid point-of-care HIV testing service.
Ryan KE, Wilkinson AL, Leitinger D, El-Hayek C, Ryan C, Pedrana A, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Health. 2016 Aug; 13(6):560-567
- Acceptability and feasibility of point-of-care CD4 testing on HIV continuum of care in low and middle income countries: a systematic review.
Pham MD, Agius PA, Romero L, McGlynn P, Anderson D, Crowe SM, Luchters S
BMC Health Serv Res. 2016 Aug; 16(1):343
- Genetic polymorphisms in the CD14 gene are associated with monocyte activation and carotid intima-media thickness in HIV-infected patients on antiretroviral therapy.
Yong YK, Shankar EM, Westhorpe CL, Maisa A, Spelman T, Kamarulzaman A, Crowe SM, Lewin SR
Medicine (Baltimore). 2016 Aug; 95(31):e4477
July, 2016 (5)
- HIV integration and the establishment of latency in CCL19-treated resting CD4(+) T cells require activation of NF-kappaB.
Saleh S, Lu HK, Evans V, Harisson D, Zhou J, Jaworowski A, Sallmann G, Cheong KY, Mota TM, Tennakoon S, Angelovich TA, Anderson J, Harman A, Cunningham A, Gray L, Churchill M, Mak J, Drummer H, Vatakis DN, Lewin SR, Cameron PU
Retrovirology. 2016 Jul; 13(1):49
- Global burden of HIV, viral hepatitis, and tuberculosis in prisoners and detainees.
Dolan K, Wirtz AL, Moazen B, Ndeffo-Mbah M, Galvani A, Kinner SA, Courtney R, McKee M, Amon JJ, Maher L, Hellard M, Beyrer C, Altice FL
Lancet. 2016 Jul; 388(10049):1089-1102
- Risk factors for unstructured treatment interruptions and association with survival in low to middle income countries.
McMahon JH, Spelman T, Ford N, Greig J, Mesic A, Ssonko C, Casas EC, O'Brien DP
AIDS Res Ther. 2016 Jul; 13(4):25
- A malaria vaccine in children with HIV.
Beeson JG, Fowkes FJI
Lancet Infect Dis. 2016 Jul; 16(10):1087-1089
- Approach to neurological symptoms. (Book Chapter)
Brew BJ, Wright EJ, Chan P, Post JJ
in "HIV Management in Australasia." Australasian Society for HIV Medicine, Sydney, Australia. 2016 Jul
June, 2016 (7)
- A HIV-Tat/C4-binding protein chimera encoded by a DNA vaccine is highly immunogenic and contains acute EcoHIV infection in mice.
Tomusange K, Wijesundara D, Gummow J, Garrod T, Li Y, Gray L, Churchill M, Grubor-Bauk B, Gowans EJ
Sci Rep. 2016 Jun; 6:29131
- Persistence of integrated HIV DNA in CXCR3 + CCR6 + memory CD4+ T cells in HIV-infected individuals on antiretroviral therapy.
Khoury G, Anderson JL, Fromentin R, Hartogenesis W, Smith MZ, Bacchetti P, Hecht FM, Chomont N, Cameron PU, Deeks SG, Lewin SR
AIDS. 2016 Jun; 30(10):1511-1520
- Repeated Vaccination of Cows with HIV Env gp140 during Subsequent Pregnancies Elicits and Sustains an Enduring Strong Env-Binding and Neutralising Antibody Response.
Heydarchi B, Center RJ, Gonelli C, Muller B, Mackenzie C, Khoury G, Lichtfuss M, Rawlin G. Purcell DF
PLoS One. 2016 Jun; 11(6):e0157353
- Polymorphisms in the CD14 and TLR4 genes independently predict CD4+ T-cell recovery in HIV-infected individuals on antiretroviral therapy.
Yong YK, Shankar EM, Solomon A, Spelman T, Fairley CK, Elliott J, Hoy J, Cameron P, Kamarulzaman A, Lewin SR
AIDS. 2016 Jun; 30(14):2159-2168
- Local responses to local epidemics for national impact need advanced spatially explicit tools.
Grantham KL, Kerr CC, Wilson DP
AIDS. 2016 Jun; 30(9):1481-1482
- HIV infection is associated with higher levels of monocyte chemoattractant protein-1 and eotaxin among people with recent hepatitis C virus infection.
Lamoury FM, Hajarizadeh B, Keoshkerian E, Feld JJ, Amin J, Teutsch S, Matthews GV, Hellard M, Dore GJ, Lloyd AR, Applegate TL, Grebely J and the ATAHC Study Group.
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Jun; 16(1):241
- Emerging Role and Characterization of Immunometabolism: Relevance to HIV Pathogenesis, Serious Non-AIDS Events, and a Cure.
Palmer CS, Henstridge DC, Yu D, Singh A, Balderson B, Duette G, Cherry CL, Anzinger JJ, Ostrowski M, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 2016 Jun; 196(11):4437-4444
May, 2016 (1)
- Why Do We Need New Drug Classes for HIV Treatment and Prevention?
Waheed AA, Tachedjian G
Curr Top Med Chem. 2016 May; 16(12):1343-1349
April, 2016 (5)
- Genotypic prediction of co-receptor tropism of HIV-1 subtypes A and C.
Riemenschneider M, Cashin KY, Budeus B, Sierra S, Shirvani-Dastgerdi E, Bayanolhagh S, Kaiser R, Gorry PR, Heider D
Sci Rep. 2016 Apr; 6:24883
- HIV-1 Mutation and Recombination Rates Are Different in Macrophages and T-cells.
Cromer D, Schlub TE, Smyth RP, Grimm AJ, Chopra A, Mallal S, Davenport MP, Mak J
Viruses. 2016 Apr; 8(4):118
- A no-brainer for ending AIDS: the case for a harm reduction decade.
Cook C, Lines R, Wilson DP
J Int AIDS Soc. 2016 Apr; 19(1):21129
- Editorial: Current and Emerging Drug Targets for Human Immunodeficiency Virus.
Waheed AA, Tachedjian G
Curr Top Med Chem. 2016 Apr; 16(10):1072-1073
- I-bodies: human single domain antibodies that antagonize chemokine receptor CXCR4.
Griffiths K, Dolezal O, Cao B, Nilsson SK, See HB, Pfleger KD, Roche M, Gorry PR, Pow A, Viduka K, Lim K, Lu BG, Chang DH, Murray-Rust TA, Kvansakul M, Perugini MA, Dogovski C, Doerflinger M, Zhang Y, Parisi K, Casey JL, Nuttall SD, Foley M
J Biol Chem. 2016 Apr; 291(24):12641-12657
March, 2016 (4)
- Diagnosing and treating HIV-associated sensory neuropathy: a global perspective.
Cherry CL, Wadley AL, Kamerman PR
Pain Manag. 2016 Mar; 6(2):191-199
- Strategies to target HIV-1 in the central nervous system.
Gray LR, Brew BJ, Churchill MJ
Curr Opin HIV AIDS. 2016 Mar; 11(4):371-375
- Fragment Based Strategies for Discovery of Novel HIV-1 Reverse Transcriptase and Integrase Inhibitors.
Latham CF, La J, Tinetti RN, Chalmers DK, Tachedjian G
Curr Top Med Chem. 2016 Mar; 16(10):1135-1153
- Lipidomic dataset of plasma from patients infected with wild type and nef-deficient HIV-1 strain.
Meikle P, Low H, Churchill MJ, Bukrinsky M, Sviridov D
Data Brief. 2016 Mar; 6:168-175
February, 2016 (7)
- In the interests of time: improving HIV allocative efficiency modelling via optimal time-varying allocations.
Shattock AJ, Kerr CC, Stuart RM, Masaki E, Fraser N, Benedikt C, Gorgens M, Wilson DP, Gray RT
J Int AIDS Soc. 2016 Feb; 19(1):20627
- Does immunometabolism provide new targets to treat HIV-mediated inflammatory diseases?
Billings H, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
Future Virol. 2016 Feb; 11(3):159-162
- The Positive Outlook Study: A Randomised Controlled Trial Evaluating Online Self-Management for HIV Positive Gay Men.
Millard T, Agius PA, McDonald K, Slavin S, Girdler S, Elliott JH
AIDS Behav. 2016 Feb; 20(9):1907-1918
- High fidelity simian immunodeficiency virus reverse transcriptase mutants have impaired replication in vitro and in vivo.
Lloyd SB, Lichtfuss M, Amarasena TH, Alcantara S, De Rose R, Tachedjian G, Alinejad-Rokny H, Venturi V, Davenport MP, Winnall WR, Kent SJ
Virology. 2016 Feb; 492:1-10
- Glucose metabolism in T cells and monocytes: New perspectives in HIV pathogenesis.
Palmer CS, Cherry CL, Sada-Ovalle I, Singh A, Crowe SM
EbioMed. 2016 Feb; 6:31-41
- CNS-specific regulatory elements in brain-derived HIV-1 strains affect responses to latency-reversing agents with implications for cure strategies.
Gray LR, Cowley D, Welsh C, Lu HK, Brew BJ, Lewin SR, Wesselingh SL, Gorry PR, Churchill MJ
Mol Psychiatry. 2016 Feb; 21(4):574-584
- Functional advantage of educated KIR2DL1 natural killer cells for anti-HIV-1 antibody-dependent activation.
Gooneratne SL, Center RJ, Kent SJ, Parsons MS
Clin Exp Immunol. 2016 Feb; 184(1):101-109
January, 2016 (13)
- Polymorphisms in CAMKK2 may predict sensory neuropathy in African HIV patients.
Goullee H, Wadley AL, Cherry CL, Allcock RJ, Black M, Kamerman PR, Price P
J Neurovirol. 2016 Jan; 22(4):508-517
- HIV and Sexual Risk Among Men Who Have Sex With Men and Women in Asia: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
Bowring AL, Veronese V, Doyle JS, Stoové M, Hellard M
AIDS Behav. 2016 Jan; 20(10):2243-2265
- Risk factors for mortality during antiretroviral therapy in older populations in resource-limited settings.
O'Brien D, Spelman T, Greig J, McMahon J, Ssonko C, Casas E, Mesic A, Du Cros P, Ford N
J Int AIDS Soc. 2016 Jan; 19(1):20665
- Toxicity and in vitro activity of HIV-1 latency-reversing agents in primary CNS cells.
Gray LR, On H, Roberts E, Lu HK, Moso MA, Raison JA, Papaioannou C, Cheng WJ, Ellett AM, Jacobson JC, Purcell DF, Wesselingh SL, Gorry PR, Lewin SR, Churchill MJ
J Neurovirol. 2016 Jan; 22(4):455-463
- HIV reservoirs: what, where and how to target them.
Churchill MJ, Deeks SG, Margolis DM, Siliciano RF, Swanstrom R
Nat Rev Microbiol. 2016 Jan; 14(1):55-60
- Brief Report: Seminal Plasma Anti-HIV Antibodies Trigger Antibody-dependent Cellular Cytotoxicity: Implications for HIV Transmission.
Parsons MS, Madhavi V, Ana-Sosa-Batiz F, Center RJ, Wilson KM, Bunupuradah T, Ruxrungtham K, Kent SJ
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2016 Jan; 71(1):17-23
- Chronic Disease Self-Management by People With HIV.
McDonald K, Slavin S, Pitts MK, Elliott JH and the HealthMap Project Team
Qual Health Res. 2016 Jan; 26(6):863-870
- Regulators of glucose metabolism in CD4 and CD8 T cells.
Palmer CS, Hussain T, Duette G, Weller TJ, Ostrowski M, Sada-Ovalle I, Crowe SM
Int Rev Immunol. 2016 Jan; 35(6):477-488
- Lipid metabolism in patients infected with Nef-deficient HIV-1 strain.
Low H, Cheng L, Di Yacovo MS, Churchill MJ, Meikle P, Bukrinsky M, Hill AF, Sviridov D
Atherosclerosis. 2016 Jan; 244:22-28
- Molecular Gymnastics: Mechanisms of HIV-1 Resistance to CCR5 Antagonists and Impact on Virus Phenotypes.
Roche M, Borm K, Flynn JK, Lewin SR, Churchill MJ, Gorry PR
Curr Top Med Chem. 2016 Jan; 16(10):1091-1106
- The Impact of a Social Marketing Campaign on HIV and Sexually Transmissible Infection Testing Among Men Who Have Sex With Men in Australia.
Wilkinson AL, Pedrana AE, El-Hayek C, Vella AM, Asselin J, Batrouney C, Fairley CK, Read TR, Hellard M, Stoové M
Sex Transm Dis. 2016 Jan; 43(1):49-56
- TNF Block Gene Variants Associated with Pain Intensity in Black Southern Africans with HIV-associated Sensory Neuropathy.
Hendry LM, Wadley AL, Cherry CL, Price P, Lombard Z, Kamerman PR
Clin J Pain. 2016 Jan; 32(1):45-50
- Mechanisms of HIV transmission in Depo-Provera users: The likely role of
Hickey M, Marino JL, Tachedjian G
JAIDS. 2016 Jan; 71(1):1-7
- Executive (0)
- Healthy Mothers, Healthy Babies (HMHB) (3)
- Eliminate HIV (28)
- Strategic Funding & Partnerships Executive Team (0)
- Disease Elimination (8)
- Maternal, Child and Adolescent Health (3)
- Philanthropy and Supporter Engagement (0)
- Eliminate Viral Hepatitis (22)
- Behaviours and Health Risks (7)
- Eliminate Malaria (0)
- Finance (0)
- Health Security (4)
- Eliminate Tuberculosis (TB) (1)
- Human Resources (0)
- Healthy Ageing (3)
- Research Support and Facilities (0)
- Information Technology (0)
- Laboratory Services (0)
- Education & Training (0)
- Support Services Group (1)
- Project Management and Quality Assurance Office (0)
- Previous Research and Public Health Projects (0)
- Marketing and Communications (0)
- International Operations (0)
- HIV and AIDS (60)
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) (9)
- Maternal and Child Health (14)
- Malaria (47)
- Immune Disease and Cancer (18)
- Hepatitis B (5)
- Hepatitis C (25)
- Global infectious disease threats (4)
- Injecting Drug Use (26)
- Alcohol and Other Drugs (25)
- Tuberculosis (TB) (10)
- Young People's Health (7)
- Justice Health (3)
- Sexual and Reproductive Health (7)
- Zika Virus (1)
- Influenza (2)