George is currently working in the Western Province, Papua New Guinea as a TB Specialist – Care and Treatment.
He has a background in infectious diseases and public health, working within both the Australian public hospital system, and at the Victorian Department of Health.
George has clinical and research interests in global health, medical ethics, tuberculosis, and COVID-19.
- 2021 – current European Society of Clinical Microbiology and Infectious Diseases
- 2021 – current Australasian Society for Infectious Diseases
- 2021 – current Australian Bat Health Focus Group
- 2016 – current Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 2021: Infectious Diseases Registrar – Austin Health
- 2021: Public Health Registrar, Victorian Department of Health
- 2020: COVID Clinical and Research Fellow, Austin Health
- 2020: Teaching Associate/Tutor, Master of Public Health – Monash University
- 2020: ICU registrar, Epworth Hospital Geelong
- 2018-2019: Medical Registrar, Basic Physician Trainee, Royal Melbourne Hospital
- 2016-2017: Resident Medical Officer, Royal Darwin Hospital
- 2015: Intern, Royal Melbourne Hospital
- 2020-ongoing Master of Health and Medical Law, University of Melbourne
- 2020-ongoing Graduate Certificate in Healthcare in Remote and Extreme Environments, University of Tasmania
- 2016-2019 Basic Physicians Training (BPT), Royal Australasian College of Physicians
- 2017 Diploma of Royal Australian New Zealand College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists (DRANZCOG), Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
- 2016 – 2017 Graduate Certificate in Yolngu Studies, Charles Darwin University, Darwin NT
- 2014 – 2016, Master of Public Health and Tropical Medicine (MPHTM), James Cook University, Townsville QLD
- 2009 – 2014 Bachelor of Medicine / Bachelor of Surgery (With Honours) (MBBS), Monash University, Clayton VIC
- 2012 Honours Degree of Bachelor of Medical Science (With Honours) (BMedSc), Monash University, Clayton VIC
- Clinical and Laboratory Research undertaken at the Department of Psychiatry, Charité Universitätsmedizin, Berlin, Germany
- 2009 – 2014 Diploma of Languages, German (DipLang), Monash University, Clayton VIC
- Infection Control & Antimicrobial Stewardship Award, Australasian Society Infectious Diseases 2021
- Finalist, Young Investigator Award, Austin Medical Research Foundation 2021
- COSA Travel Grant, Clinical Oncological Society of Australia 2017
- Australasian Faculty of Occupational and Environmental Medicine Essay Prize, RACP 2014
- John Flynn Placement Program Scholarship – Northern Territory ACRRM 2009 – 2013
- Finalist, Early Career Investigator Award. Monash Research Week, MMC 2013
- Deans Letter for Academic Excellence in MBBS. Monash University, Clayton 2011, 2013
- Winner: Best Presentation in Psychiatry/Psychology. European Students Conference, Berlin 2012
- The Monash Prize. Monash University, Clayton 2006
- The use of procalcitonin as an antimicrobial stewardship tool and a predictor of disease severity in coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19).
George P Drewett, Olivia C Smibert, Natasha E Holmes, Jason A Trubiano
Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2022 Apr; 43(4):542-543
- Anaphylaxis in Victoria: presentations to emergency departments, with a focus on drug- and antimicrobial-related cases.
George P Drewett, Jess Encena, Joy Gregory, Lucinda Franklin, Jason A Trubiano
Med J Aust. 2022 Mar
- Junior doctors voice strong desire for clinical ethics teaching.
Jesse A Schnall, George Drewett, Sarah Heynemann, Rosalind McDougall, Danielle Ko
Intern Med J. 2022 Jan; 52(1):160-161
- The safety and efficacy of direct oral challenge in trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole antibiotic allergy.
Morgan Rose, Sara Vogrin, Kyra Y L Chua, George Drewett, Abby Douglas, Monica Slavin, Natasha E Holmes, Jason Trubiano
J Allergy Clin Immunol Pract. 2021 Oct; 9(10):3847-3849
- Defective Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2 Immune Responses in an Immunocompromised Individual With Prolonged Viral Replication.
Claire L Gordon, Olivia C Smibert, Natasha E Holmes, Kyra Y L Chua, Morgan Rose, George Drewett, Fiona James, Effie Mouhtouris, Thi H O Nguyen, Wuji Zhang, Lukasz Kedzierski, Louise C Rowntree, Brendon Y Chua, Leon Caly, Mike G Catton, Julian Druce, Michelle Sait, Torsten Seemann, Norelle L Sherry, Benjamin P Howden, Katherine Kedzierska, Jason C Kwong, Jason A Trubiano
Open Forum Infect Dis. 2021 Sep; 8(9):ofab359
- Practical ethical challenges and moral distress among staff in a hospital COVID-19 screening service.
George P Drewett, Grace Gibney, Danielle Ko
Intern Med J. 2021 Sep; 51(9):1513-1516
- Immune responses in COVID-19 respiratory tract and blood reveal mechanisms of disease severity.
Wuji Zhang, Brendon Chua, Kevin Selva, Lukasz Kedzierski, Thomas Ashhurst, Ebene Haycroft, Suzanne Shoffner, Luca Hensen, David Boyd, Fiona James, Effie Mouhtouris, Jason Kwong, Kyra Chua, George Drewett, Ana Copaescu, Julie Dobson, Louise Rowntree, Jennifer Habel, Lilith Allen, Hui-Fern Koay, Jessica Neil, Matthew Gartner, Christina Lee, Patiyan Andersson, Torsten Seemann, Norelle Sherry, Fatima Amanat, Florian Krammer, Sarah Londrigan, Linda Wakim, Nicholas King, Dale Godfrey, Laura Mackay, Paul Thomas, Suellen Nicholson, Kelly Arnold, Amy Chung, Natasha Holmes, Olivia Smibert, Jason Trubiano, Claire Gordon, Thi Nguyen, Katherine Kedzierska
Res Sq. 2021 Aug; Preprint
- Evolution of the Human Cytokine Response from Acute Illness to Disease Resolution in SARS-Cov-2 Infection-Implications for Therapeutic Monitoring and Therapeutic Targets.
George P Drewett, Ana Copaescu, Effie Mouhtouris, Natalie Hannan, Fiona James, Olivia Smibert, Natasha E Holmes, Jason A Trubiano
J Clin Immunol. 2021 Aug; 41(6):1162-1164
- Asystolic cardiac arrest following liposomal amphotericin B infusion: anaphylaxis or compliment activation-related pseudoallergy?
George P Drewett, Ana Copaescu, Joseph DeLuca, Natasha E Holmes, Jason A Trubiano
Allergy Asthma Clin Immunol. 2021 Jul; 17(1):80
- Risk factors for readmission following inpatient management of COVID-19 in a low-prevalence setting.
George P Drewett, R Kimberley Chan, Nicholas Jones, Hari Wimaleswaran, Mark E Howard, Christine F McDonald, Jason Kwong, Olivia Smibert, Natasha E Holmes, Jason A Trubiano
Intern Med J. 2021 May; 51(5):821-823
- Multi-site assessment of rapid, point-of-care antigen testing for the diagnosis of SARS-CoV-2 infection in a low-prevalence setting: A validation and implementation study.
Stephen Muhi, Nick Tayler, Tuyet Hoang, Susan A Ballard, Maryza Graham, Amanda Rojek, Jason C Kwong, Jason A Trubiano, Olivia Smibert, George Drewett, Fiona James, Emma Gardiner, Socheata Chea, Nicole Isles, Michelle Sait, Shivani Pasricha, George Taiaroa, Julie McAuley, Eloise Williams, Katherine B Gibney, Timothy P Stinear, Katherine Bond, Sharon R Lewin, Mark Putland, Benjamin P Howden, Deborah A Williamson
Lancet Reg Health West Pac. 2021 Apr; 9:100115
- The Role of Immunological and Clinical Biomarkers to Predict Clinical COVID-19 Severity and Response to Therapy-A Prospective Longitudinal Study.
Ana Copaescu, Fiona James, Effie Mouhtouris, Sara Vogrin, Olivia C Smibert, Claire L Gordon, George Drewett, Natasha E Holmes, Jason A Trubiano
Front Immunol. 2021 Mar; 12:646095
- COVID-Care - a safe and successful digital self-assessment tool for outpatients with proven and suspected coronavirus-2019.
George P Drewett, Natasha E Holmes, Jason A Trubiano, Sara Vogrin, Jeff Feldman, Morgan Rose
Digit Health. 2021 Jan; 7:20552076211047382