Wijnand earned his bachelor’s degree at Leiden University in 2006. In 2008 he received his master’s degree in Cognitive Neuroscience and commenced his PhD at the Department of Infectious Diseases Research and Prevention at the Public Health Service of Amsterdam in 2009. His PhD research focus was the diversity in sexual-risk motivations and related HIV risk-reduction strategies among men who have sex with men in the Netherlands.
From 2013 to 2019, Wijnand worked as a public health researcher at the Department of Epidemiology, Health Promotion and Care Innovation (EGZ) at the Public Health Service of Amsterdam. He was responsible for monitoring the health of the general Amsterdam population using results from the 4 yearly Amsterdam Health Monitoring Study (AGM). He also investigated daily functioning among vulnerable populations in Amsterdam using the Dutch version of the ‘Self-Sufficiency Matrix’ (SSM-D), a tool to measure self-sufficiency.
Key projects at Burnet:
- Review of the Medically Supervised Injecting Room, a safe and hygienic place where people can inject drugs in a supervised health setting located in North Richmond, using data from the SuperMix cohort in Melbourne.
- Enhancing Hepatitis C treatment in primary care settings through targeted education in Tasmania.
- A randomised controlled trial of active case management to link hepatitis C notifications to hepatitis C treatment in Tasmania.
2019 – ongoing: Research Officer, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
- 2018: PhD in Social Psychology and Epidemiology, University of Amsterdam, Amsterdam, Netherlands
- 2008: Master in Cognitive Neuroscience, cum laude, Leiden University, Leiden, Netherlands
- 2006: Bachelor in Cognitive Psychology, Leiden University, Leiden, Netherlands
- The Melbourne safe injecting room attracted people most in need of its service.
Van Den Boom W, Del Mar Quiroga M, Fetene DM, Agius PA, Higgs PG, Maher L, Hickman M, Stoové MA, Dietze PM
Am J Prev Me. 2021 May; Epub ahead of print
- Homelessness, unstable housing, and risk of HIV and hepatitis C virus acquisition among people who inject drugs: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Arum C, Fraser H, Artenie AA, Bivegete S, Trickey A, Alary M, Astemborski J, Iversen J, Lim AG, MacGregor L, Morris M, Ong JJ, Platt L, Sack-Davis R, van Santen DK, Solomon SS, Sypsa V, Valencia J, Van Den Boom W, Walker JG, Ward Z, Stone J, Vickerman P; Homelessness, HIV, and HCV Review Collaborative Group.
Lancet Public Health. 2021 Mar; 6(5):E309-E323
- Psychometric properties of the Self-Sufficiency Matrix (SSM) and
the SSM-Supplement Parenthood. [Psychometrische kenmerken
van de Zelfredzaamheid-Matrix (ZRM) en het ZRM-Supplement
Van Den Boom W, Klaufus L, Fassaert T, Lauriks S, de Wit M.
Kind & Adolescent. 2016 May; 37(2):105–119
- Is Group Sex a Higher-Risk Setting for HIV and Other Sexually Transmitted Infections Compared With Dyadic Sex Among Men Who Have Sex With Men?
Wijnand van den Boom, Udi Davidovich, Jose Heuker, Femke Lambers, Maria Prins, Theo Sandfort, Ineke G Stolte
Sex Transm Dis. 2016 Feb; 43(2):99-104