Dr Clovis Palmer is a laboratory head with a special interest and expertise in HIV Immuno-metabolism. He is a recipient of the inaugural 2010 Creative and Novel Ideas in HIV Research grant funded by the NIH and CFAR and administered by the International Aids Society.
He initiated this area of research to understand the metabolic defects of immune cells in patients who are infected with HIV. Nutrient uptake and utilisation by immune cells is important because these cells require energy to fight against HIV infection.
Additionally some cells harbour the virus and remain in the body for decades. These cells are called HIV reservoirs and we are studying ways to starve them as a potential strategy to eradicate HIV from the body.
Dr Palmer and his team have developed new methods to evaluate metabolic changes in immune cells and have several international collaborators in Argentina, Australia, Greece, Jamaica and USA.
2014 Guest Editor for Journal of Immunology Research (Pathogenic Inflammation in Infectious Diseases).
Journal Reviewer for the following journals: AIDS Research and Human Retroviruses, Preparative Biochemistry and Biotechnology, Antioxidants and Redox Signalling, Hepatology, AIDS.
Adjunct Senior Lecturer, Monash University, Department of Infectious Diseases
Professional Membership and Societies
- 2004: Member of The Australian Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- 2005: Member of The Genetics Society of Australasia
- 2006: Member of The Australian Society for HIV Medicine
- 2007: Member of Gastroenterological Society of Australia
- 2009: Member of The International AIDS Society
- 2009: Member of The New South Wales miRNA users group
- 2010: Member of The Biochemical Society - European
- 2011: Burnet Institute
- NIH and IAS Fellow and Group Leader: HIV Immuno-metabolism group
- 2006-2012: University of New South Wales, School of Medical Sciences, Sydney
- Post Doctoral Fellow: HCV pathogenesis and obesity
2006: PhD, University of Sydney, Australia
2013: Nation Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID) Scholarship Recipient to attend Keystone “Immune Activation in HIV Infection: Basic Mechanisms and Clinical Implications”, Breckenridge, Colorado, USA
2011-12: International Aids Society-CNHIR Travel Awards to Rome and Washington DC to attend IAS and AIDS conference
2010: Creative and Novel Ideas in HIV Research Grant (CNIHR) from the NIH-funded, Centers for AIDS Research and International Aids Society Program - Novel approaches to study T cell metabolic dysfunction and immune response during HIV infection.
2010: International Aids Society Travel Scholarship to the XVIII International AIDS Conference (Vienna, Austria) and the International AIDS Society Workshop “Towards a Cure”: HIV Reservoirs and Strategies to Control Them.
2009: Gilead Young Investigator Research Gold Medal for Hepatitis C Research. Presented at the Australian Centre for HIV and Hepatitis Virology Research, 5th Annual Workshop, Terrigal, NSW.
2009: The AstraZeneca Junior Travel Award presented by the The Gastroenterology Society of Australia, for travel to the Annual Meeting of the American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases in Boston.
- Glycolysis Is required for LPS-induced activation and adhesion of human CD14+CD16− monocytes.
Lee MKS, Al-Sharea A, Shihata WA, Bertuzzo Veiga C, Cooney OD, Fleetwood AJ, Flynn MC, Claeson E, Palmer CS, Lancaster GI, Henstridge DC, Hamilton JA and Murphy AJ
Front Immulo. 2019 Sep; Epub ahead of print
- Inflammatory and immunometabolic consequences of gut dysfunction in HIV: Parallels with IBD and implications for reservoir persistence and non-AIDS comorbidities.
Alzahrani J, Hussain T, Simar D, Palchaudhuri R, Abdel-Mohsen M, Crowe SM, Mbogo GW, Palmer CS
EBioMedicine. 2019 Jul; 46:522-531
- Obesity and Fat Metabolism in HIV-infected Individuals: Immunopathogenic Mechanisms and Clinical Implications.
Godfrey C, Bremer A, Alba D, Apovian C, Koethe JR, Koliwad S, Lewis D, Lo J, McComsey GA, Eckard A, Srinivasa S, Trevillyan J, Palmer C, Grinspoon S
J Infect Dis. 2019 Mar; 220(3):420-431
- Integrative biomarkers of biologic aging in HIV.
Rajasuriar R, Palmer C, Abdel-Mohsen M, Kamaruzzaman SB
AIDS. 2019 Feb; 33(2):345-347
- A Bioelectronic System to Measure the Glycolytic Metabolism of Activated CD4+ T Cells.
Crowe SM, Kintzios S, Kaltsas G, Palmer CS
Biosensors. 2019 Jan; 9(1):e10
- Induction of HIF-1alpha by HIV-1 Infection in CD4(+) T Cells Promotes Viral Replication and Drives Extracellular Vesicle-Mediated Inflammation.
Duette G, Pereyra Gerber P, Rubione J, Perez PS, Landay AL, Crowe SM, Liao Z, Witwer KW, Holgado MP, Salido J, Geffner J, Sued O, Palmer CS, Ostrowski M
MBio. 2018 Sep; 9(5)
- Suppression of monocyte inflammatory and coagulopathy responses in HIV infection.
Rajasuriar R, Hearps AC, Crowe SM, Anzinger JJ, Palmer CS
Ann Transl Med. 2018 Jul; 6(13):277
- Polymorphism rs1385129 Within Glut1 Gene SLC2A1 Is Linked to Poor CD4+ T Cell Recovery in Antiretroviral-Treated HIV+ Individuals.
Masson JJR, Cherry CL, Murphy NM, Sada-Ovalle I, Hussain T, Palchaudhuri R, Martinson J, Landay AL, Billah B, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
Front Immunol. 2018 May; 9:900
- Glut1 expression level on inflammatory monocytes is associated with markers of cardiovascular disease risk in HIV-infected individuals.
Anzinger JJ, Butterfield TR, Gouillou M, McCune JM, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2018 Feb; 77(2):e28-e30
- Exploiting immune cell metabolic machinery for functional HIV cure and the prevention of inflammaging.
Palmer CS, Palchaudhuri R, Albargy H, Abdel-Mohsen M, Crowe SM
F1000Res. 2018 Jan; 7:125
- Frailty in men living with HIV: a cross-sectional comparison of three frailty instruments.
Yeoh HL, Cheng A, Palmer C, Crowe SM, Hoy JF
Antivir Ther. 2018 Jan; 23(2):117-127
- Sugar or fat?—Metabolic requirements for immunity to viral infections
Shehata HM, Murphy AJ, Lee MKS, Gardiner CM, Crowe SM, Sanjabi S, Finlay DK, Palmer CS
Front Immunol. 2017 Oct; 8:1311
- Metabolically active CD4+ T cells expressing Glut1 and OX40 preferentially harbor HIV during in vitro infection.
Palmer CS, Duette GA, Wagner MCE, Henstridge DC, Saleh S, Pereira C, Zhou J, Simar D, Lewin SR, Ostrowski M, McCune JM, Crowe SM
FEBS Lett. 2017 Sep; 591(20):3319-3332
- Assessment of metabolic and mitochondrial dynamics in CD4+ and CD8+ T cells in virologically suppressed HIV-positive individuals on combination antiretroviral therapy.
Masson JJR, Murphy AJ, Lee MKS, Ostrowski M, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
PLoS One. 2017 Aug; 12(8):e0183931
- Metabolic reprogramming during hepatitis B disease progression offers novel diagnostic and therapeutic opportunities.
Masson JJ, Billings HW, Palmer CS
Antivir Chem Chemother. 2017 Aug; 25(2):53-57
- Immunometabolic and lipidomic markers associated with the frailtyindex and quality of life in aging HIV+ men on antiretroviral therapy.
Yeoh HL, Cheng AC, Cherry CL, Weir JM, Meikle PJ, Hoy JF, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
EBioMedicine. 2017 Aug; 22:112-21
- Measurement of aortic cell fluid-phase pinocytosis in vivo by flow cytometry.
Anzinger JJ, Jin X, Palmer CS, Dagur P, Barthwal MK, Kruth HS
J Vasc Res. 2017 Apr; 54(4):195-199
- Increased glucose transporter-1 EXPRESSION on intermediate monocytes from HIV-infected women with subclinical cardiovascular disease.
Butterfield TR, Hanna DB, Kaplan RC, Kizer JR, Durkin HG, Young MA, Nowicki MJ, Tien PC, Golub ET, Floris-Moore MA, Titanji K, Fischl MA, Heath SL, Martinson J, Crowe SM, Palmer CS, Landay AL, Anzinger JJ
AIDS. 2017 Jan; 31(2):199-205
- Eliminating HIV & AIDS in India: A roadmap to zero new HIV infections, zero discrimination & zero AIDS-related deaths.
Palchaudhuri R, Niggl M, Palmer CS
Indian J Med Res. 2016 Dec; 144(6):789-792
- Immunometabolism may provide new insights into novel mechanisms of HIV reservoir persistence.
Palmer CS, Crowe SM
AIDS. 2016 Nov; 30(18):2895-6
- Emerging Role and Characterization of Immunometabolism: Relevance to HIV Pathogenesis, Serious Non-AIDS Events, and a Cure.
Palmer CS, Henstridge DC, Yu D, Singh A, Balderson B, Duette G, Cherry CL, Anzinger JJ, Ostrowski M, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 2016 Jun; 196(11):4437-4444
- A simple flow cytometric method to measure glucose uptake and glucose
transporter expression for monocyte subpopulations in whole blood.
Palmer CS, Anzinger JJ, Butterfield TR, McCune JM, Crowe SM
JOVE. 2016 May; May: e54255
- Does immunometabolism provide new targets to treat HIV-mediated inflammatory diseases?
Billings H, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
Future Virol. 2016 Feb; 11(3):159-162
- Glucose metabolism in T cells and monocytes: New perspectives in HIV pathogenesis.
Palmer CS, Cherry CL, Sada-Ovalle I, Singh A, Crowe SM
EbioMed. 2016 Feb; 6:31-41
- Regulators of glucose metabolism in CD4 and CD8 T cells.
Palmer CS, Hussain T, Duette G, Weller TJ, Ostrowski M, Sada-Ovalle I, Crowe SM
Int Rev Immunol. 2016 Jan; 35(6):477-488
- Monocytes from HIV+ individuals show impaired cholesterol efflux and increased foam cell formation after transendothelial migration.
Maisa A, Hearps AC, Angelovich TA, Pereira CF, Zhou J, Shi MDY, Palmer CS, Muller WA, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
AIDS. 2015 Jun; 29(12):1445-1457
- PrEP is a key HIV prevention strategy, but how do we chart its success?
HIV Australia. 2015 Jun; 13(2):16-19
- Viremic and virologically suppressed HIV infection increases age-related changes to monocyte activation equivalent to 12 and 4 years of ageing respectively.
Angelovich TA, Hearps AC, Maisa A, Martin GE, Lichtfuss GF, Cheng WJ, Palmer CS, Landay AL, Crowe SM, Jaworowski A
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Feb; 69(1):11-17
- Glucose metabolism regulates T cell activation, differentiation, and functions.
Palmer CS, Ostrowski M, Balderson B, Christian N, Crowe SM
Front Immunol. 2015 Jan; 6:1
- Glucose Transporter 1-Expressing Proinflammatory Monocytes Are Elevated in Combination Antiretroviral Therapy-Treated and Untreated HIV+ Subjects.
Palmer CS, Anzinger JJ, Zhou J, Gouillou M, Landay A, Jaworowski A, McCune JM, Crowe SM
J Immunol. 2014 Nov; 193(11):5595-5603
- Panobinostat clinical trial highlights the challenges towards an HIV cure.
Palmer CS, Crowe SM
The Lancet HIV. 2014 Jul; 1(2):e103
- Regulation of T cell recruitment and inflammation in the human immunodeficiency virus/hepatitis C virus coinfected liver.
Nguyen N, Hampartzoumian T, Cameron BA, Palmer CS, O’Toole S, Post JJ, Zekry A, Lloyd AR
J Gastroent Hepatol. 2014 Jul; 29(7):1535-1543
- Monocytes as Regulators of Inflammation and HIV-Related Comorbidities during cART.
Anzinger JJ, Butterfield TR, Angelovich TA, Crowe SM, Palmer CS
J Immunol Res. 2014 Jun; 2014:569819
- How Does Monocyte Metabolism Impact Inflammation and Aging During Chronic HIV Infection?
Palmer CS, Crowe SM
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2014 Apr; 30(4):335-336
- Exendin-4 is effective against metabolic disorders induced by intrauterine and postnatal overnutrition in rodents.
Chen H, Simar D, Pegg K, Saad S, Palmer C, Morris MJ
Diabetologia. 2014 Mar; 57(3):614-622
- Characterization of the cytokine milieu associated with the upregulation of IL-6 and suppressor of cytokine 3 in chronic hepatitis C treatment non-responders.
Martinez D, Palmer C, Simar D, Cameron B, Nguyen N, Aggarwal V, Lloyd A, Zekry A
Liver Int. 2014 Jan; Epub ahead of print
- Increased glucose metabolic activity is associated with CD4+ T-cell activation and depletion during chronic HIV infection.
Palmer CS, Ostrowski M, Gouillou M, Tsai L, Yu D, Zhou J, Henstridge DC, Maisa A, Hearps AC, Lewin SR, Landay A, Jaworowski A, McCune JM, Crowe SM
AIDS. 2014 Jan; 28(3):297-309
- Age-Associated Changes in Monocyte and Innate Immune Activation Markers Occur More Rapidly in HIV Infected Women.
Martin GE, Gouillou M, Hearps AC, Angelovich TA, Cheng AC, Lynch F, Cheng WJ, Paukovics G, Palmer CS, Novak RM, Jaworowski A, Landay AL, Crowe SM
PLoS One. 2013 Jan; 8(1):e55279
- The effect of obesity on intrahepatic cytokine and chemokine expression in chronic hepatitis C infection.
Clovis Palmer, Theresa Corpuz, Marianne Guirguis, Sandra O'Toole, Kenneth Yan, Yagmin Bu, John Jorgenson, Michael Talbot, Kenneth Loi, Andrew Lloyd, Amany Zekry
Gut. 2010 Mar; 59(3):397-404
News Articles (18)