Dr. George Mbogo successfully completed his PhD from La Trobe University.
He is passionate about global health, underpinned by his prior experiences with the HIV epidemic and other tropical diseases.
He initially trained as a Medical Laboratory Practitioner, before embarking on advanced translational research focusing mainly; drug discovery (Heart failure & HIV), diagnostics (sleeping sickness), population studies (malaria) and vaccinology (Newcastle disease).
George has evolved a multidisciplinary profile spanning industry, academia and public health, leveraging from mentorship and collaborations from global leaders based in US (UCSF & CDC), Africa (Makerere University), Europe (LSTMH & WHO/TDR) and Australia (WEHI).
His current projects; small molecule drug discovery for HIV, Heart Failure and Stroke; retroviral biology studies; and disease interaction studies.
He is a pioneer of the first cGMP certified Vaccine Biotech Company in sub-Saharan Africa; a recipient of the prestigious Fogarty International Fellowship and International postgraduate scholarships (La Trobe and Melbourne Universities).
- 2017 to date: mHIVE Committee Member
- 2016 to date: Member of The Royal Society of Victoria, Australia.
- 2014 to date: Member Golden Key International, La Trobe University Chapter
- 2014 to date: Member of the Victorian Infection and Immunity Network 2014
- 2017 to date: Postdoctoral Research Officer Retroviral Biology and Antiviral Lab, Burnet Institute, Melbourne Australia.
- 2014 to 2017: Doctoral Scholar La Trobe Institute of Molecular Sciences, La Trobe University, Melbourne Australia.
- 2016: Postgraduate Demonstrator Masters of Molecular Biology and Bioinformatics, Department of Biochemistry and Genetics La Trobe University.
- 2010 -2013: Fogarty Fellow- Makerere University-University of California Research Collaboration.
- 2010 – 2011: Vaccine production Associate at Uganda Industrial Research Institute under BRENTEC Vaccines International
- 2010: Part-time Laboratory Scientist at Department of Medical Biochemistry Makerere University Medical School Kampala.
- 2009 – 2010: Research Consultant: BIOERN project at Makerere University Agricultural Research Institute, Tissue culture Laboratory.
- 2008 – 2009: Research Assistant WHO/TDR project for innovative diagnostics for Human African Trypanosomiasis Makerere University Kampala.
- 2017: PhD, La Trobe University Australia
- 2013: MSc, Makerere University Kampala (MUK), Uganda
- 2012: PGD in Project Planning and Management at Uganda Management Institute
- 2010: BSc Makerere University Kampala (MUK), Uganda
- Nominated for Nancy Millis Medal for outstanding thesis by La Trobe University 2017.
- Poster prize winner, Young Scientist Forum on Cell death and Survival symposium at the Walter and Eliza Hall Institute, Melbourne, on 9th/09/2016.
- La Trobe University International Postgraduate Research Scholarship from 2014-2017
- La Trobe University International Postgraduate Research Tuition Fees Scholarship for 2014-2017.
- University of Melbourne International Postgraduate Research Scholarship from 2014-2017 (Declined)
- University of Melbourne International Postgraduate Research Tuition Fees Scholarship for 2014-2017 (Declined).
- Travel award to the 6th Multilateral Initiative on Malaria Pan-African Malaria Conference in Durban South Africa 2013
- Fogarty International Centre Postgraduate training fellowship 2010 to 2013 for Masters of Molecular Biology and research in under Prof. Philip J. Rosenthal UCSF.
- Government of Uganda sponsorship to Makerere University for undergraduate training after excellent performance at advanced level 2006-2009