I am currently in my final year of advanced training with the Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine. At the end of 2015 I completed my PhD entitled “Obesity, diabetes and disability –predicting risk, pathways and projections”. During the course of my PhD, I developed skills particularly in epidemiology, statistical methods and systematic reviews. My interest is in public health research and translating research into practice.
- Since 2014: Royal College of Physicians trainee
- Since 2012: Member of Public Health Association of Australia
- Since 2011: Member of Australia and New Zealand Obesity Society
- 2016: Clinical Epidemiologist, Medibank Private
- 2015-2016: Research Officer, Baker IDI Heart and Diabetes Institute & Deakin University
- 2014-2015: Research Fellow, University of Melbourne
- 2014-current: Advanced Trainee, Australasian Faculty of Public Health Medicine
- 2015 PhD, Monash University
- 2010 MPH, Monash University
- 1997 MBBS(Hons), Monash University
- Royal Australasian College of Physician Foundation Research Establishment Fellowship
- Baker IDI Bright Sparks Travel Award (2014)
- Monash University Postgraduate Travel Award 2014
- Public Health Association of Australia (Victorian branch) conference scholarship 2013
- Baker IDI Bright Sparks Top-up Award since 2012
- Department of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine Travel Award 2012
- Australian and New Zealand Obesity Society Travel Award 2011
- Australian Postgraduate Award since 2010
- Diabetes and compression of disability in the USA.
Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016 Aug; 4(8):637-638
- Burden of diabetes in Australia: life expectancy and disability-free life expectancy in adults with diabetes.
Huo L, Shaw JE, Wong E, Harding JL, Peeters A, Magliano DJ
Diabetologia. 2016 Jul; 59(7):1437-1445
- Trends in child and adolescent obesity prevalence in economically advanced countries according to socioeconomic position: a systematic review.
Chung A, Backholer K, Wong E, Palermo C, Keating C, Peeters A
Obes Rev. 2016 Mar; 17(3):276-295
- Socioeconomic and health factors associated with kindergarten retention in Australian children.
Wong E, Steele E, Johnson S, Proimos J, Batterham A, Nolan T, Waters E
J Paediatr Child Health. 2016 Mar; 52(3):296-302
- Prevalence of disability in Australian elderly: Impact of trends in obesity and diabetes.
Wong E, Woodward M, Stevenson C, Backholer K, Sarink D, Peeters A
Prev Med. 2016 Jan; 82:105-110
- The Influence of Social Disadvantage on Children's Emotional and Behavioral Difficulties at Age 4-7 Years.
Steele E, Wong E, Karahalios A, Johnson S, Weston K, Kremer P, de Silva A, Davis E, Nolan T, Waters E
J Pediatr. 2015 Aug; 167(2):442-448
- Duration of obesity and incident hypertension in adults from the Framingham Heart Study.
Stephanie K Tanamas, Evelyn Wong, Kathryn Backholer, Asnawi Abdullah, Rory Wolfe, Jan Barendregt, Anna Peeters
J Hypertens. 2015 Mar; 33(3):542-545
- The role of obesity duration on the association between obesity and risk of physical disability.
Evelyn Wong, Stephanie K Tanamas, Rory Wolfe, Kathryn Backholer, Christopher Stevenson, Asnawi Abdullah, Anna Peeters
Obesity. 2015 Feb; 23(2):443-447
- Predicting the risk of physical disability in old age using modifiable mid-life risk factors.
Evelyn Wong, Christopher Stevenson, Kathryn Backholer, Mark Woodward, Jonathan E Shaw, Anna Peeters
J Epidemiol Community Health. 2015 Jan; 69(1):70-76
- A systematic review and meta-analysis of diabetes and risk of physical disability and functional impairment - protocol.
Evelyn Wong, Kathryn Backholer, Jessica Harding, Emma Gearon, Christopher Stevenson, Rosanne Freak-Poli, Anna Peeters
Syst Rev. 2012 Oct; 1:47
- Adiposity measures as predictors of long-term physical disability.
Evelyn Wong, Christopher Stevenson, Kathryn Backholer, Haider Mannan, Kumar Pasupathi, Allison Hodge, Rosanne Freak-Poli, Anna Peeters
Ann Epidemiol. 2012 Oct; 22(10):710-716
- The relationship between body mass index prior to old age and disability in old age.
K Backholer, K Pasupathi, E Wong, A Hodge, C Stevenson, A Peeters
Int J Obes (Lond). 2012 Sep; 36(9):1180-1186
- Increasing body weight and risk of limitations in activities of daily living: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
K Backholer, E Wong, R Freak-Poli, H L Walls, A Peeters
Obes Rev. 2012 May; 13(5):456-468