Dr. Sara Canavati is a senior research scientist and infectious diseases epidemiologist. For the last ten years, she has been researching malaria in South East Asia. She has had a particular focus on drug-resistant malaria, high-risk groups like mobile and migrant populations, and conducting clinical trials.
- 2014-15: Research Scientist, Mahidol-Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit (MORU) Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Thailand/UK
- 2013: Senior Technical Officer, Malaria Consortium, Cambodia
- 2012-14: Study Coordinator, Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH, Cambodia
- 2011-13: Technical Officer, Malaria Consortium, Cambodia.
- 2010-11: Senior Research Assistant, Malaria Consortium, Cambodia.
- 2010: Surveillance Scientist, Shoklo Malaria Research Unit/ Mahidol-Oxford Research Unit, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Thailand
- 2008-10: Vaccination and Nutritional Surveillance Technical Manager, Shoklo Malaria Research Unit, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Thailand/UK
- 2006: Public Mental Health Project Technical Coordinator, Fundación Mèdiques and Rwanda MoH, Kigali Rwanda
- 2005-07: Public Health Technical Manager, Kachin Women Association of Thailand (KWAT), Kachin State, Myanmar.
- 2005-06: Educational Advisor, The Ministry of Education, Phayao Province, Thailand.
- 2015: Science of Malaria eradication, Harvard School of Public Health.
- 2013: Doctor of Philosophy, joint program with Faculty of Tropical Medicine (Mahidol University), Mahidol-Oxford Tropical Medicine Research Unit, The University of Queensland.
- 2009: Master of Science, Department of Public Health and Primary Health Care, University of Oxford.
- 2004: Bachelor of Science, Tecnológico de Monterrey, Monterrey.
- 2004: Bachelor of Arts, Trinity Western University, British Columbia.
- 2015: Social Media Awards: Malaria Heroes Asia Pacific, Asia Pacific Leaders Malaria Alliance (APLMA)
- 2015: Joint International Tropical Medicine Meeting (JITMM) Travel Award, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University
- 2015: Fellowship, Science of Eradication: Malaria, Harvard Business School, USA
- 2014: International Congress of Parasitology XIII Scholarship, International Congress of Parasitology (ICOPA), Mexico City
- 2014: Joint International Tropical Medicine Meeting (JITMM) Travel Award, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University
- 2014: Keystone Symposia Future of Science Fund Travel Award, The Science of Malaria Eradication, Malaria Eradication Scientific Alliance
- 2012: Prof. Sornchai Award (financial), Joint International Tropical Medicine Meeting, Thailand
- 2010: Tranakchit Harinasuta Award (financial) most outstanding student in the doctor of philosophy class of 2010, Faculty of Tropical Medicine, Mahidol University, Thailand
- 2006: 60th Anniversary Thai King Celebration Prize, Royal Project Foundation of Thailand
- The use of respondent-driven sampling to assess malaria knowledge, treatment-seeking behaviours and preventive practices among mobile and migrant populations in a setting of artemisinin resistance in Western Cambodia.
Ly P, Thwing J, McGinn C, Quintero CE, Top-Samphor N, Habib N, Richards JS, Canavati SE, Vinjamuri SB, Nguon C
Malar J. 2017 Sep; 16(1):378
- Maximizing research study effectiveness in malaria elimination settings: a mixed methods study to capture the experiences of field-based staff.
Canavati SE, Quintero CE, Haller B, Lek D, Yok S, Richards JS, Whittaker MA
Malar J. 2017 Sep; 16(1):362
- High mobility, low access thwarts interventions among seasonal workers in the Greater Mekong Sub-region: lessons from the malaria containment project.
Canavati SE, Quintero CE, Lawford HL, Yok S, Lek D, Richards JS, Whittaker MA
Malar J. 2016 Aug; 15(1):434
- World Malaria Day 2016 in the Kingdom of Cambodia: high-level governmental support embodies the WHO call for “political will to end malaria".
Canavati SE, Quintero CE, Bou T, Khieu V, Leang R, Lek D, Ly P, Muth S, Lim KS, Tuseo L, Yok S, Yung K, Richards JS, Rekol H
Malaria Journal. 2016 Jun; 15:303
- Village malaria worker performance key to the elimination of artemisinin-resistant malaria: a Western Cambodia health system assessment.
Canavati SE, Lawpoolsri S, Quintero CE, Nguon C, Ly P, Pukrittayakamee S, Sintasath D, Singhasivanon P, Peeters Grietens K, Whittaker MA
Malar J. 2016 May; 15(1):282
- Targeting populations at higher risk for malaria: a survey of national malaria elimination programmes in the Asia Pacific.
Wen S, Harvard KE, Gueye CS, Canavati SE, Chancellor A, Ahmed BN, Leaburi J, Lek D, Namgay R, Surya A, Thakur GD, Whittaker MA, Gosling RD
Malar J. 2016 May; 15(1):271
- Evaluation of intensified behaviour change communication strategies in an artemisinin resistance setting.
Canavati SE, de Beyl CZ, Ly P, Shafique M, Boukheng T, Rang C, Whittaker MA, Roca-Feltrer A, Sintasath D
Malar J. 2016 Apr; 15(1):249
- Reactive case-detection of malaria in Pailin Province, Western Cambodia: lessons from a year-long evaluation in a pre-elimination setting.
John Hustedt, Sara E Canavati, Chandary Rang, Ruth A Ashton, Nimol Khim, Laura Berne, Saorin Kim, Siv Sovannaroth, Po Ly, Didier Menard, Jonathan Cox, Sylvia Meek, Arantxa Roca-Feltrer
Malar J. 2016 Mar; 15(1):132
- Efficacy and safety of pyronaridine-artesunate for the treatment of uncomplicated Plasmodium falciparum malaria in western Cambodia.
Rithea Leang, Sara E Canavati, Nimol Khim, Lasse S Vestergaard, Isabelle Borghini Fuhrer, Saorin Kim, Mey Bouth Denis, Pisal Heng, Bunkea Tol, Rekol Huy, Stephan Duparc, Arjen M Dondorp, Didier Menard, Pascal Ringwald
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2016 Feb; Epub ahead of print
- Establishing research priorities for malaria elimination in the context of the emergency response to artemisinin resistance framework-the Cambodian approach.
Sara E Canavati, Harriet L S Lawford, Bayo S Fatunmbi, Dysoley Lek, Narann Top-Samphor, Rithea Leang, Arjen M Dondorp, Rekol Huy, Walter M Kazadi
Malar J. 2016 Feb; 15(1):120
- The Cambodia Research Consortium: expediting research for malaria elimination with the emergency response to artemisinin resistance framework.
Sara E Canavati, Harriet L S Lawford, Bayo S Fatunmbi, Dysoley Lek, Rithea Leang, Narann Top Samphor, Arjen M Dondorp, Rekol Huy, Walter M Kazadi
Malar J. 2016 Jan; 15(1):5
- Novel Cross-Border Approaches to Optimise Identification of Asymptomatic and Artemisinin-Resistant Plasmodium Infection in Mobile Populations Crossing Cambodian Borders.
Hannah M Edwards, Sara E Canavati, Chandary Rang, Po Ly, Siv Sovannaroth, Lydie Canier, Nimol Khim, Didier Menard, Ruth A Ashton, Sylvia R Meek, Arantxa Roca-Feltrer
PLoS One. 2015 Sep; 10(9):e0124300
- Malaria and the mobile and migrant population in Cambodia: a population movement framework to inform strategies for malaria control and elimination.
Philippe Guyant, Sara E Canavati, Nguon Chea, Po Ly, Maxine Anne Whittaker, Arantxa Roca-Feltrer, Shunmay Yeung
Malar J. 2015 Jun; 14:252
- Establishment of the Ivermectin Research for Malaria Elimination Network: updating the research agenda.
Carlos J Chaccour, N Regina Rabinovich, Hannah Slater, Sara E Canavati, Teun Bousema, Marcus Lacerda, Feiko Ter Kuile, Chris Drakeley, Quique Bassat, Brian D Foy, Kevin Kobylinski
Malar J. 2015 Jun; 14:243
- Spatial and temporal epidemiology of clinical malaria in Cambodia 2004-2013.
Richard J Maude, Chea Nguon, Po Ly, Tol Bunkea, Pengby Ngor, Sara E Canavati de la Torre, Nicholas J White, Arjen M Dondorp, Nicholas P J Day, Lisa J White, Char Meng Chuor
Malar J. 2014 Sep; 13:385
- Focal screening and treatment around passively detected malaria cases in Pailin Province, Cambodia: a feasible and effective tool to target asymptomatic infections?
John Hustedt, Sara Canavati, Chandary Rang, Sophal Uth, Po Ly, Siv Sovannaroth, Ruth Ashton, Sylvia Meek, Arantxa Roca Felter
Malaria Journal. 2014 Sep; 13(Suppl 1):P45
News Articles (1)