Steph works as a Research Officer in the Health Security Program and International Development Discipline, with a specific focus on tuberculosis. Primarily she works on the RID-TB project, a FIND clinical trial in Port Moresby assessing the diagnostic capacity of a new TB diagnostic tool, innovative TB elimination projects in Indonesia and Operational Research and Australia Awards training programs.
Steph completed a Bachelor of Science at the University of Western Australia, her honours in Science through The University of Melbourne at the Burnet Institute and her Master of Public Health at Deakin. Her honours thesis examined anti-malarial immunity to a severe antigen of P. falciparum and how the changing landscape of malaria control is affecting the acquisition of immunity in PNG children.
She has a particular interest in the health of vulnerable populations, health systems strengthening, and infectious diseases. Steph has previously volunteered for a number of organisations, namely the WA AIDS council, working in the needle exchange program.
Steph also has a strong interest in health communications.
In Perth she started a not-for-profit media platform to give young people a voice on local and inter/national issues. The organisation supported Perth’s creative community and created awareness and knowledge around issues that affect young Australians.
- 2017 – current, Research Officer
- 2016 – Burnet Institute Honours Student
- 2017 Master of Public Health, Deakin University
- 2016 Bachelor of Science (Hons), The University of Melbourne
- 2014 Bachelor of Science, The University of Western Australia
- 2016 1st Class Honours (University of Melbourne)
Building a Centre of Excellence for Research and Training for DR-TB in Daru, Papua New Guinea
Diagnostic accuracy of Molbio Truenat for diagnosis of TB and rifampicin resistance
Major advances in understanding malaria immunity and biology
RID-TB: Reducing the Impact of Drug-Resistant TB in Western Province, PNG
Zero TB initiative Yogyakarta
- Successful implementation of bedaquiline for multidrug-resistant TB treatment in remote Papua New Guinea.
Taune M, Ustero P, Hiashiri S, Huang K, Aia P, Morris L, Main S, Chan G, du Cros P, Majumdar SS
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S73-S79
- The effects of decentralisation of tuberculosis services in the East New Britain Province, Papua New Guinea.
Maha A, Majumdar SS, Main S, Phillip W, Witari K, Schulz J, du Cros P
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S43-S49
- A retrospective study of tuberculosis outcomes in Gulf Province, Papua New Guinea.
Moses I, Main S, Commons RJ, Robertson B, Mek A, Gale M
Pub Health Act. 2019 Sep; 9(Supplement 1):S38-S42
- Training for Tuberculosis Elimination in Indonesia: Achievements, Reflections, and Potential for Impact.
Main S, Lestari T, Triasih R, Chan G, Davidson L, Majumdar S, Santoso D, Phung S, Laukkala J, Graham S, du Cros P, Ralph A
Trop Med Infect Dis. 2019 Jul; 4(3):E107
News Articles (9)