Dr Anna Bowring is a public health researcher committed to informing impactful health programs serving vulnerable and marginalised populations in resource-limited settings. In particular, her work supports data use for program learning and impact with a focus on community-based interventions for HIV and blood-borne viruses among key populations.
During her postdoctoral fellowship she worked with partners from Johns Hopkins School of Public Health, CARE and community-based organisations to support the implementation of evidence-based HIV prevention, testing and treatment services for female sex workers and men who have sex with men in Cameroon.
Currently Anna supports Burnet Institute’s Optima group on HIV and TB modelling applications and research.
- 2016-present: Research Fellow, Burnet Institute
- 2017-2019 Postdoctoral Research Fellow and Program Impact Specialist, Department of Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins School of Public Health
- 2021-present: Research Officer, Optima
- 2020: Optimise Project Manager (Data Collection), Burnet Institute
- 2019-2020: Technical advisor, CT2 Study extension, Burnet Institute
- 2016: coEC Project Manager, Burnet Institute
- 2010-2011, 2015-2016: ACCESS Coordinator (Primary Health Care Network), Burnet Institute
- 2010-2011: “Sex, drugs and rock’n’roll” Study coordinator, Burnet Institute
- 2016: PhD, Monash University, Australia
- 2010: MPH, Monash University, Victoria, Australia
- 2007: BBiomedSci, Monash University, Australia
- 2017 – 2020 - Early Career Fellowship, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC)
- 2020, 2019, 2014 - Scholarship recipient to AIDS/IAS Conferences
- 2018 - Scholarship recipient to INTEREST Conference, Kigali, Rwanda
- 2016 - Ian Potter Foundation travel grant
- 2014 - Highly commended poster, 18th IUSTI Asia-Pacific Congress, Bangkok, Thailand
- 2012 – 2015 - Australian Postgraduate Award
- 2013 - Scholarship recipient to ICAAP Conference
- 2011, 2013 - Scholarship recipient to The Australasian Sexual Health Conference
- 2005 – 2009 - Partial scholarship: Monash Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences Scholarship
Assessing the feasibility of an integrated HIV cascade of care surveillance system in Myanmar (ACCESS Myanmar)
Decision science using Optima
Hepatitis C: Community Testing and Treatment (CT2)
Optima HIV Modelling
The elimination of hepatitis C as a global public health threat
The Optimise Study: Optimising Isolation, Quarantine and Distancing for COVID-19
Tools for the Integrated Management of Childhood Illness (Kenya, Myanmar and Senegal)
- HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis uptake and continuation among key populations in Cameroon: Lessons learned from the CHAMP program.
Ndenkeh JN, Bowring AL, Njindam IM, Folem RD, Hendji Fako GC, Ngueguim FG, Gayou OL, Lepawa K, Minka CM, Batoum CM, Georges S, Temgoua E, Nzima V, Kob DA, Akiy ZZ, Philbrick W, Levitt D, Curry D, Baral S
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2022 May; 91(1):39-46
- Feasibility of decentralised, task-shifted hepatitis C testing and treatment services in urban Myanmar: implications for scale-up.
Draper BL, Yee WL, Shilton S, Bowring A, Htay H, Nwe N, Markby J, Kyi KP, Easterbrook P, Naing W, Win TM, Aung KS, Howell J, Pedrana A, Hellard M
BMJ Open. 2022 May; 12(5):e059639
- Intent to Be Vaccinated against COVID-19 in Victoria, Australia.
Heath K, Altermatt A, Saich F, Pedrana A, Fletcher-Lartey S, Bowring AL, Stoové M, Danchin M, Kaufman J, Gibney KB, Hellard M
Vaccines (Basel). 2022 Jan; 10(2)
- Outcomes of the CT2 Study: A 'one-stop-shop' for community-based hepatitis C testing and treatment in Yangon, Myanmar.
Draper B, Htay H, Pedrana A, Yee WL, Howell J, Kyi KP, Naing W, Aung KS, Markby J, Easterbrook P, Bowring A, Aung W, Sein YY, Nwe N, Myint KT, Shilton S, Hellard M
Liver Int. 2021 Jun; 41(11):2578-2589
- Hepatitis C elimination in Myanmar: Modelling the impact, cost, cost-effectiveness and economic benefits.
Scott N, Win TM, Tidhar T, Htay H, Draper B, Aung PTZ, Xiao Y, Bowring A, Kuschel C, Shilton S, Kyi KP, Naing W, Aung KS, Hellard M
Lancet Reg Health West Pac. 2021 May; 10:100129
- Quantifying the evolving contribution of HIV interventions and key populations to the HIV epidemic in Yaounde, Cameroon.
Silhol R, Baral S, Bowring AL, Mukandavire C, Njindam IM, Rao A, Schwartz S, Tamoufe U, Billong SC, Njoya O, Zoung-Kanyi Bissek AC, Garcia Calleja JM, Vickerman P, Mishra S, Boily MC
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2021 Apr; 86(4):396-405
- Micro-elimination of hepatitis C among people with HIV coinfection: declining incidence and prevalence accompanying a multi-center treatment scale-up trial.
Doyle JS, van Santen DK, Iser D, Sasadeusz J, O'Reilly M, Harney B, Traeger MW, Roney J, Cutts JC, Bowring AL, Winter R, Medland N, Fairley CK, Moore R, Tee B, Asselin J, El-Hayek C, Hoy JF, Matthews GV, Prins M, Stoové MA, Hellard ME
Clin Infect Dis. 2021 Jan; 73(7):e2164–e2172
- Unmet Need for Family Planning and Experience of Unintended Pregnancy Among Female Sex Workers in Urban Cameroon: Results From a National Cross-Sectional Study.
Bowring AL, Schwartz S, Lyons C, Rao A, Olawore O, Njindam IM, Nzau J, Fouda G, Fako GH, Turpin G, Levitt D, Georges S, Tamoufe U, Billong SC, Njoya O, Zoung-Kanyi AC, Baral S
Glob Health Sci Pract. 2020 Mar; 8(1):82-99
- HIV pre-exposure prophylaxis for female sex workers: ensuring women's family planning needs are not left behind.
Bowring AL, Ampt FH, Schwartz S, Stoové MA, Luchters S, Baral S, Hellard M
J Int AIDS Soc. 2020 Feb; 23(2):e25442
- Anorectal swabs as a marker of male-to-male sexual exposure in STI surveillance systems.
Ampt FH, El Hayek C, Agius PA, Bowring AL, Bartnik N, Van Gemert C, Fairley CK, Chow EPF, Bradshaw CS, Stephens N, Lim MSC, Hellard ME
Epidemiol Infect. 2017 Sep; 145(12):2530-2535
- "We Might Get Some Free Beers": Experience and Motivation for Transactional Sex Among Behaviorally Bisexual Men in Vientiane, Laos.
Bowring AL, Pasomsouk N, Hughes C, van Gemert C, Higgs P, Sychareun V, Hellard M, Power R
Arch Sex Behav. 2017 May; 46(4):1047-1059
- Factors Influencing Access to Sexual Health Care Among Behaviorally Bisexual Men in Vientiane, Laos: A Qualitative Exploration.
Bowring AL, Pasomsouk N, Higgs P, Sychareun V, Hellard M, Power R
Asia Pac J Public Health. 2015 Nov; 27(8):820-834
- It goes both ways: a cross-sectional study of buying and selling sex among young behaviourally bisexual men in Vientiane, Laos.
Bowring AL, van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Toole M, Hellard M.
Sex Health. 2015 Jul; 12(5):405-10
- Sexual identity, same-sex partners and risk behaviour among a community-based sample of young people in Australia.
Bowring AL, Vella AM, Degenhardt L, Hellard M, Lim MS
Int J Drug Policy. 2015 Feb; 26(2):153-161
- Young people's comparative recognition and recall of an Australian Government Sexual Health Campaign.
Lim MS, Gold J, Bowring AL, Pedrana AE, Hellard ME
Int J STD AIDS. 2015 Jan; 26(6):398-401
- Young risk takers: Alcohol, illicit drugs, and sexual practices among a sample of music festival attendees.
Jenkinson R, Bowring A, Dietze P, Hellard M, Lim MSC
J Sex Trans Dis. 2014 Dec; 2014:e357239
- Setting the scene: locations for meeting sex partners among behaviorally bisexual men in vientiane, laos, and opportunities for health promotion.
Bowring AL, van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Agius PA, Toole M, Hellard M
AIDS Educ Prev. 2014 Dec; 26(6):538-553
- Early age at first sex: associations with sexual health and sociodemographic factors among a sample of young music festival attendees in Melbourne.
Vella AM, Agius PA, Bowring AL, Hellard ME, Lim MS
Sex Health. 2014 Aug; 11(4):359-365
- Reattendance and chlamydia retesting rates at 12 months among young people attending Australian general practice clinics 2007-10: a longitudinal study.
Weaver ER, Bowring AL, Guy R, van Gemert C, Hocking JS, Boyle DI, Merritt T, Heal C, Lau PM, Donovan B, Hellard ME
Sex Health. 2014 Jul; 11(4):366-369
- Chlamydia among Australian Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander people attending sexual health services, general practices and Aboriginal community controlled health services.
Ward J, Goller J, Ali H, Bowring A, Couzos S, Saunders M, Yau P, Kaldor JM, Hellard M, Guy RJ, Donovan B
BMC Health Serv Res. 2014 Jul; 14(1):285
- Identifying risk: a comparison of risk between heterosexual-identifying bisexual men and other bisexual men in vientiane, laos.
Bowring A, van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Toole M, Hellard M
AIDS Educ Prev. 2014 Apr; 26(2):109-121
- Characteristics of a Sexual Network of Behaviorally Bisexual Men in Vientiane, Lao PDR, 2010.
van Gemert C, Vongsaiya K, Hughes C, Jenkinson R, Bowring AL, Sihavong A, Phimphachanh C, Chanlivong N, Toole M, Hellard M
AIDS Educ Prev. 2013 Jun; 25(3):232-243
- Comparing short versions of the AUDIT in a community-based survey of young people.
Bowring AL, Gouillou M, Hellard M, Dietze P
BMC Public Health. 2013 Apr; 13(1):301
- Chlamydia testing and retesting patterns at family planning clinics in Australia.
Bowring AL, Goller JL, Gouillou M, Harvey C, Bateson D, McNamee K, Read C, Boyle D, Jordan L, Wardle R, Stephens A, Donovan B, Guy R, Hellard M
Sex Health. 2013 Jan; 10(1):74-81
- An urgent need to scale-up injecting drug harm reduction services in Tanzania: Prevalence of blood-borne viruses among drug users in Temeke District, Dar-es-Salaam, 2011.
Bowring AL, Luhmann N, Pont S, Debaulieu C, Derozier S, Asouab F, Toufik A, van Gemert C, Dietze P, Stoové M
Int J Drug Policy. 2013 Jan; 24(1):78-81
- Measuring the accuracy of self-reported height and weight in a community-based sample of young people.
Bowring AL, Peeters A, Freak-Poli R, Lim MS, Gouillou M, Hellard M
BMC Med Res Methodol. 2012 Nov; 12(1):175
- Trends in sexual behavior, testing, and knowledge in young people; 2006-2011.
Lim MS, Bowring AL, Gold J, Aitken CK, Hellard ME
Sex Transm Dis. 2012 Nov; 39(11):831-834
- Missed opportunities--low levels of chlamydia retesting at Australian general practices, 2008-2009.
Bowring AL, Gouillou M, Guy R, Kong FY, Hocking J, Pirotta M, Heal C, Brett T, Donovan B, Hellard M; on behalf of the ACCESS Collaboration.
Sex Transm Infect. 2012 Mar; 88(5):330-334
- Know your limits: Awareness of the 2009 Australian alcohol guidelines among young people.
Bowring AL, Gold J, Dietze P, Gouillou M, Van Gemert C, Hellard ME
Drug Alcohol Rev. 2012 Mar; 31(2):213-223
News Articles (8)