Michelle completed her PhD with Professor James Beeson in 2012 with a focus on developing methods to study Plasmodium falciparum malaria parasite invasion of red blood cells. These studies included investigating mechanisms and inhibitors of invasion with a focus on progress towards vaccine and drug development. Michelle received a Victorian Premier’s Award for Health and Medical Research Commendee Award for these studies in 2013.
Following her PhD, Michelle was awarded an NHMRC Early Career Development, CJ Martin Award, and completed a two-year post-doctoral position at University of California, San Francisco under the mentorship of Associate Professor Maggie Feeney. With a focus on cellular immune responses in naturally exposed populations, her work identified a number of age- and malaria exposure- dependent changes to T cells that contribute to naturally acquired immunity. In 2015, she received the Australian National Associations of Research Fellows - Postdoctoral Investigator Award.
Michelle is an Honorary Fellow at the Menzies School of Health Research in Darwin, as well as a Research Officer at Burnet Institute. She is working on collaborative projects between the two institutes to identify mechanisms contributing to the acquisition of immunity against multiple malaria species in the South East Asia region.
- 2015: National Association of Research Fellows Postdoctoral Investigator Award
- 2013: Victorian Premier’s Award for Health and Medical Research
- 2012: OzEMalaR Travel Award
- 2011: Harold Mitchell Foundation Postgraduate Travel Fellowship
- 2011: Miller Foundation Biomedical Research Travel Award
- Identification of heparin modifications and polysaccharide inhibitors of Plasmodium falciparum merozoite invasion that have potential for novel drug development.
Boyle MJ, Skidmore M, Dickerman B, Cooper L, Devlin A, Yates E, Horrocks P, Freeman C, Chai W, Beeson JG
Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2017 Oct; 61(11): e00709-17
- The development of Plasmodium falciparum-specific IL10 CD4 T cells and protection from malaria in children in an area of high malaria transmission.
Boyle MJ, Jagannathan P, Bowen K, McIntyre TI, Vance HM, Farrington LA, Schwartz A, Nankya F, Naluwu K, Wamala S, Sikyomu E, Rek J, Greenhouse B, Arinaitwe E, Dorsey G, Kamya MR, Feeney ME
Front Immunol. 2017 Oct; 8:1329
- Vδ2+ T cell response to malaria correlates with protection from infection but is attenuated with repeated exposure.
Jagannathan P, Lutwama F, Boyle MJ, Nankya F, Farrington LA, McIntyre TI, Bowen K, Naluwu K, Nalubega M, Musinguzi K, Sikyomu E, Budker R, Katureebe A, Rek J, Greenhouse B, Dorsey G, Kamya MR, Feeney ME
Sci Rep. 2017 Sep; 7(1):11487
- Dichotomous miR expression and immune responses following primary blood-stage malaria.
Burel JG, Apte SH, Groves PL, Boyle MJ, Langer C, Beeson JG, McCarthy JS, Doolan DL
JCI Insight. 2017 Aug; 2(15)::e93434
- Effects of aging on parasite biomass, inflammation, endothelial activation, microvascular dysfunction and disease severity in Plasmodium knowlesi and Plasmodium falciparum malaria.
Barber BE, Grigg MJ, William T, Piera KA, Boyle MJ, Yeo TW, Anstey, NM
J Infect Dis. 2017 Jun; 215:1908-1917
- Recent insights into humoral immunity targeting Plasmodium falciparum and Plasmodium vivax malaria.
Boyle MJ, Reiling L, Osier FH, Fowkes FJ
Int J Parasitol. 2017 Jan; 47(2-3):99-104
- Evaluating complement-mediated humoral immunity to P. falciparum blood stages.
Boyle MJ, Reiling L, Beeson JG
eBiomedicine. 2016 Dec; 14:9-10
- A Novel Model of Asymptomatic Plasmodium Parasitemia That Recapitulates Elements of the Human Immune Response to Chronic Infection.
Fontana MF, Baccarella A, Craft JF, Boyle MJ, McIntyre TI, Wood MD, Thorn KS, Anidi C, Bayat A, Chung MR, Hamburger R, Kim CY, Pearman E, Pham J, Tang JJ, Boon L, Kamya MR, Dorsey G, Feeney ME, Kim CC
PLoS One. 2016 Sep; 11(9):e0162132
- Quantifying heterogeneous malaria exposure and clinical protection in a cohort of Ugandan children.
Rodriguez-Barraquer I, Arinaitwe E, Jagannathan P, Boyle MJ, Tappero J, Muhindo M, Kamya MR, Dorsey G, Drakeley C, Ssewanyana I, Smith DL, Greenhouse B
J Infect Dis. 2016 Aug; 214(7):1072-1080
- Effective antimalarial chemoprevention in childhood enhances CD4+ T cell quality and limits CD4 production of immunoregulatory IL-10.
Jagannathan P, Bowen K, Nankya F, McIntyre T, Auma A, Wamala S, Sikyomu E, Naluwu K, Nalubega M, Boyle MJ, Farrington L, Bigira V, Kapisi J, Aweeka F, Greenhouse B, Kamya M, Dorsey G, Feeney ME
J Infect Dis. 2016 Apr; 214(2):329-338
- Merozoite surface proteins in red blood cell invasion, immunity and vaccines against malaria.
Beeson JG, Drew DR, Boyle MJ, Feng G, Fowkes FJ, Richards JS
FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2016 Jan; 40(3):343-372
- Frequent malaria drives progressive Vdelta2 T cell loss, dysfunction, and CD16 upregulation during early childhood.
Farrington LA, Jagannathan P, McIntyre TI, Vance HM, Bowen K, Boyle MJ, Nankya F, Wamala S, Auma A, Nalubega M, Sikyomu E, Naluwu K, Bigira V, Kapisi J, Dorsey G, Kamya MR, Feeney ME
J Infect Dis. 2016 Jan; 213(9):1483-1490
- Decline of FoxP3+ Regulatory CD4 T Cells in Peripheral Blood of Children Heavily Exposed to Malaria.
Boyle MJ, Jagannathan P, Farrington LA, Eccles-James I, Wamala S, McIntyre TI, Vance HM, Bowen K, Nankya F, Auma A, Nalubega M, Sikyomu E, Naluwu K, Rek J, Katureebe A, Bigira V, Kapisi J, Tappero J, Muhindo MK, Greenhouse B, Arinaitwe E, Dorsey G, Kamya MR, Feeney ME
PLoS Pathog. 2015 Jul; 11(7):e1005041
- FCRL5 Delineates Functionally Impaired Memory B Cells Associated with Plasmodium falciparum Exposure.
Sullivan RT, Kim CC, Fontana MF, Feeney ME, Jagannathan P, Boyle MJ, Drakeley CJ, Ssewanyana I, Nankya F, Mayanja-Kizza H, Dorsey G, Greenhouse B
PLoS Pathog. 2015 May; 11(5):e1004894
- Human antibodies fix complement to inhibit Plasmodium falciparum invasion of erythrocytes and are associated with protection against malaria.
Boyle MJ, Reiling L, Feng GQ, Langer C, Osier FH, Aspeling-Jones H, Cheng YS, Stubbs J, Tetteh KKA, Conway DJ, McCarthy JS, Muller I, Marsh K, Anders RF, Beeson JG
Immunity. 2015 Mar; 42(3):580-590
- The effector phenotype of P. falciparum-specific CD4 T cells is influenced by both age and transmission intensity in naturally exposed populations.
Boyle MJ, Jagannathan P, Bowen K, McIntyre TI, Vance HM, Farrington LA, Greenhouse B, Nankya F, Rek J, Katureebe A, Arinaitwe E, Dorsey G, Kamya MR, Feeney ME
J Infect Dis. 2015 Feb; 212(3):416-425
- Opsonic phagocytosis of Plasmodium falciparum merozoites: mechanism in human immunity and a correlate of protection against malaria.
Osier FH, Feng G, Boyle MJ, Langer C, Zhou J, Richards JS, McCallum FJ, Reiling L, Jaworowski A, Anders RF, Marsh K, Beeson JG
BMC Med. 2014 Jul; 12(1):108
- Sequential processing of merozoite surface proteins during and after erythrocyte invasion by Plasmodium falciparum.
Boyle MJ, Langer C, Chan JA, Hodder AN, Coppel RL, Anders RF, Beeson JG
Infect Immun. 2014 Jan; 82(3):924-936
- Antigenic Characterisation of an Intrinsically Unstructured Protein: Plasmodium falciparum Merozoite Surface Protein 2.
Adda CG, Macraild CA, Reiling L, Wycherley K, Boyle MJ, Kienzle V, Masendycz P, Foley M, Beeson JG, Norton RS, Anders RF
Infect Immun. 2012 Sep; 80(12):4177-4185
- A phase 1 trial of MSP2-C1, a blood-stage malaria vaccine containing 2 isoforms of MSP2 formulated with Montanide(R) ISA 720.
McCarthy JS, Marjason J, Elliott S, Fahey P, Bang G, Malkin E, Tierney E, Aked-Hurditch H, Adda C, Cross N, Richards JS, Fowkes FJ, Boyle MJ, Long C, Druilhe P, Beeson JG, Anders RF
PLoS One. 2011 Sep; 6(9):e24413
- Super-resolution dissection of coordinated events during malaria parasite invasion of the human erythrocyte.
Riglar DT, Richard D, Wilson DW, Boyle MJ, Dekiwadia C, Turnbull L, Angrisano F, Marapana DS, Rogers KL, Whitchurch CB, Beeson JG, Cowman AF, Ralph SA, Baum J
Cell Host Microbe. 2011 Jan; 9(1):9-20
- Isolation of viable Plasmodium falciparum merozoites to define erythrocyte invasion events and advance vaccine and drug development.
Michelle J Boyle, Danny W Wilson, Jack S Richards, David T Riglar, Kevin K A Tetteh, David J Conway, Stuart A Ralph, Jake Baum, James G Beeson
Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2010 Aug; 107(32):14378-14383
- Interactions with heparin-like molecules during erythrocyte invasion by Plasmodium falciparum merozoites.
Boyle MJ, Richards JS, Gilson PR, Chai W, Beeson JG
Blood. 2010 Jun; 115(22):4559-4568
- Novel Bcl-2 homology-3 domain-like sequences identified from screening randomized peptide libraries for inhibitors of the pro-survival Bcl-2 proteins.
Lee EF, Fedorova A, Zobel K, Boyle MJ, Yang H, Perugini MA, Colman PM, Huang DC, Deshayes K, Fairlie WD
J Biol Chem. 2009 Nov; 284(45):31315-31326
- Reticulocyte-binding protein homologue 5 - an essential adhesin involved in invasion of human erythrocytes by Plasmodium falciparum.
Jake Baum, Lin Chen, Julie Healer, Sash Lopaticki, Michelle Boyle, Tony Triglia, Florian Ehlgen, Stuart A Ralph, James G Beeson, Alan F Cowman
Int J Parasitol. 2009 Feb; 39(3):371-380
- A novel BH3 ligand that selectively targets Mcl-1 reveals that apoptosis can proceed without Mcl-1 degradation.
Lee EF, Czabotar PE, van Delft MF, Michalak EM, Boyle MJ, Willis SN, Puthalakath H, Bouillet P, Colman PM, Huang DC, Fairlie WD
J Cell Biol. 2008 Jan; 180(2):341-355
News Articles (11)