Stanley is a trained medical doctor (University of Amsterdam) with extensive health experience in resource-constrained settings. He has a Masters in Public Health for Developing Countries (LSHTM, UK) and a PhD from Ghent University (Belgium) on opportunities for targeted HIV prevention among most-at-risk populations.
He holds honorary academic positions at the School of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University (Adjunct Associate Professor), University of the Witwatersrand, South Africa (Visiting Professor) and Ghent University, Belgium (Visiting Professor).
In early 2012 Stanley joined Burnet as Principal for Sexual and Reproductive Health and as Team Leader for the Women’s and Children’s Health working group in the Centre for International Health.
From 2004 until 2008, he was based in Mombasa, Kenya, employed by Ghent University, Belgium as the Kenya Country Director of the International Centre for Reproductive Health (ICRH; a locally-registered NGO with close links to Ghent University and a WHO collaborating centre for reproductive health). In this capacity, he was responsible for the overall management of the research NGO, including around 100 full-time personnel. This also meant leading the fundraising, proposal development, scientific planning and implementation of sexual and reproductive health research, training and services.
In 2008, he took the position as the Deputy Director at the ICRH headquarters at Ghent University supervising and coordinating the Belgium-based research teams as well as the field teams in Kenya and Mozambique.
Over the years, he has gained particular experience in implementation, conduct and supervision of research and program interventions on maternal and child health, sexually transmitted infections and HIV, family planning, alcohol use and sexual behaviour.
Since 2004, he has been the Project Supervisor on several large service-delivery type interventions and the Principal Investigator of more than 10 clinical, epidemiological, behavioural and operations research studies with the full-range of study designs.
Currently, he is (co-) author of more than 110 publications in peer-reviewed journals and was the technical writer of the 2010 guidelines on “Antiretroviral drugs for treating pregnant women and preventing HIV infection in infants: toward universal access”, published by the World Health Organization.
- 2012: Associate Professor, School of Epidemiology and Preventive Medicine, Monash University
- 2010: Visiting Professor, School of Public Health, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of the Witwatersrand, Johannesburg, South Africa
- 2010: Visiting Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynaecology, Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences, Ghent University,
- Belgium Epidemiologist and medical writer, International Centre for Reproductive Health (ICRH),
- Kenya Secretary of the NGO Board, International Centre for Reproductive Health (ICRH), Kenya ( a WHO collaborating centre in reproductive health)
- 2013-2017: Team Leader, Maternal and Child Health Working Group, Centre for International Health, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
- Till June 2013: Co-Head of the Centre for International Health, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
- 2012-present: Principal for Sexual and Reproductive Health, Burnet Institute
- 2012-2013: Manager Research and Technical Operations and Team Leader, Women’s and Children’s Health, Burnet Institute, Melbourne, Australia
- 2008-2010: Deputy Director, International Centre for Reproductive Health (ICRH), Ghent University, Belgium
- 2004-2008: Kenya Country Director and Chief Executive Officer, International Centre for Reproductive Health (ICRH), Mombasa, Kenya
- 2003-2004: Project Manager, International Antiviral Therapy Evaluation Center (IATEC), University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands and based in Nairobi, Kenya
- 2002-2003: Research Assistant for the Ghent-IAS Working Group on HIV in Women and Children, Centre for Paediatric Epidemiology and Biostatistics, Institute of Child Health, University College London, United Kingdom
- 2000-2002: Regional Program Manager, International Antiviral Therapy Evaluation Center (IATEC), University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands and based in Kigali, Rwanda
- 1998-1999: Laboratory Manager and supervisor of pharmaco-kinetic clinical trials with antiretroviral agents at Clinical Research Center, Somerset Hospital, Cape Town, South Africa
- 1996-1997: Assistant researcher of clinical trials with antiretroviral agents at HIVNAT, The HIV Netherlands Australian Thailand Research Collaborative, Bangkok, Thailand. A collaborative effort between the Thai Red Cross, the Australian NCHECR, and the Dutch NATEC.
- PhD, Ghent University (Belgium), 2008
- M.Sc. Public Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, University of London, (UK), 2003
- M.D., (University of Amsterdam), 2000
- Factors associated with social participation amongst elders in rural Sri Lanka: a cross-sectional mixed methods analysis.
Marsh C, Agius PA, Jayakody G, Shajehan R, Abeywickrema C, Durrant K, Luchters S, Holmes W
BMC Public Health. 2018 May; 18(1):636
- Expectant fathers' participation in antenatal care services in Papua New Guinea: a qualitative inquiry.
Davis J, Vaughan C, Nankinga J, Davidson L, Kigodi H, Alalo E, Comrie-Thomson L, Luchters S
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018 May; 18(1):138
- Human papilloma virus correlates of high grade cervical dysplasia in HIV-infected women in Mombasa, Kenya: a cross-sectional analysis.
Menon S, Luchters S, Rossi R, Callens S, Kishor M, Bogers J, Vanden Broeck D
Virol J. 2018 Mar; 15(1):54
- A tale of two countries: progress towards UNAIDS 90-90-90 targets in Botswana and Australia.
Marukutira T, Stoové M, Lockman S, Mills LA, Gaolathe T, Lebelonyane R, Jarvis JN, Kelly SL, Wilson DP, Luchters S, Crowe SM, Hellard M
J Int AIDS Soc. 2018 Mar; 21(3):e25090
- Impact of vision impairment and self-reported barriers to vision care: The views of elders in Nuwara Eliya district, Sri Lanka.
Holmes W, Shajehan R, Kitnasamy S, Abeywickrama C, Arsath Y, Gnanaraj F, Inbaraj S, Jayakody G, Durrant K, Luchters S
Glob Public Health. 2018 Feb; 13(5):642-655
- Higher transplacental pathogen-specific antibody transfer among pregnant women randomized to triple antiretroviral treatment versus short course zidovudine.
Bosire R, Farquhar C, Nduati R, Broliden K, Luchters S, Van de Perre P, De Vincenzi I, Merkel M, Wachuka V, Mbori-Ngacha D, John-Stewart G, Lohman-Payne B, Reilly M
Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2018 Feb; 37(3):246-252
- Involving men to improve maternal and newborn health: A systematic review of the effectiveness of interventions.
Tokhi M, Comrie-Thomson L, Davis J, Portela A, Chersich M, Luchters S
PLoS One. 2018 Jan; 13(1):e0191620
- The potential of task shifting selected maternal interventions to auxiliary midwives in Myanmar: a mixed-method study.
Than KK, Tin KN, La T, Thant KS, Myint T, Beeson JG, Luchters S, Morgan A
BMC Public Health. 2018 Jan; 18(1):99
- Critical examination of evidence for the nutritional status of children in Papua New Guinea - a systematic review.
McGlynn PJ, Renzaho AΜ, Pham MD, Toole M, Fisher J, Luchters S
Asia Pac J Clin Nutr. 2018 Jan; 27(1):1-18
- Diagnosis and treatment of Listeria monocytogenes endophthalmitis: A systematic review.
Chersich MF, Takkinen J, Charlier C, Leclercq A, Adams PE, Godbole G, Altmeyer U, Friesema IH, Labbé Sandelin L, Jenkin L, Fontana L, Aldigeri R, Venter F, Luchters SM, Lecuit M, Cimino L
Ocul Immunol Inflamm. 2018 Jan; 26(4):508-517
- Women and substance use: a qualitative study on sexual and reproductive health of women who use drugs in Delhi, India.
Sharma V, Sarna A, Tun W, Saraswati LR, Thior I, Madan I, Luchters S
BMJ Open. 2017 Nov; 7(11):e018530
- Factors associated with HIV testing among young men who have sex with men in Myanmar: a cross-sectional study.
Pham MD, Aung PP, Paing AK, Pasricha N, Agius PA, Tun W, Bajracharya A, Luchters S
J Int AIDS Soc. 2017 Nov; 20(3):e25026
- WHISPER or SHOUT study: protocol of a cluster-randomised controlled trial assessing mHealth sexual reproductive health and nutrition interventions among female sex workers in Mombasa, Kenya.
Ampt FH, Mudogo C, Gichangi P, Lim MSC, Manguro G, Chersich M, Jaoko W, Temmerman M, Laini M, Comrie-Thomson L, Stoové M, Agius PA, Hellard M, L'Engle K, Luchters S
BMJ Open. 2017 Aug; 7(8):e017388
- Determinants of knowledge of critical danger signs, safe childbirth and immediate newborn care practices among auxiliary midwives: a cross sectional survey in Myanmar.
Than KK, Morgan A, Pham MD, Beeson JG, Luchters S
BMJ Open. 2017 Jul; 7(6):e017180
- At the heart of the problem: Health in Johannesburg's inner-city.
Rees H, Delany-Moretlwe S, Scorgie F, Luchters S, Chersich MF
BMC Public Health. 2017 Jul; 17(Suippl 3):554
- Prevention of postpartum haemorrhage by community-based auxiliary midwives in hard-to-reach areas of Myanmar: a qualitative inquiry into acceptability and feasibility of task shifting.
Than KK, Mohamed Y, Oliver V, Myint T, La T, Beeson JG, Luchters S
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2017 May; 17(1):146
- Early childhood development: impact of national human development, family poverty, parenting practices and access to early childhood education.
Tran TD, Luchters S, Fisher J
Child Care Health Dev. 2017 May; 43(3):415-426
- Effectiveness of an integrated community- and clinic-based intervention on HIV testing, HIV knowledge, and sexual risk behavior of young men who have sex with men in Myanmar.
Aung PP, Ryan C, Bajracharya A, Pasricha N, Thein ZW, Agius PA, Sein TT, Willenberg L, Soe EM, Zaw NT, Tun W, Yam E, Luchters S
J Adolesc Health. 2017 Feb; 60(2S2):S45-S53
- Feasibility of antiretroviral treatment monitoring in the era of decentralized HIV care: a systematic review.
Pham MD, Romero L, Parnell B, Anderson DA, Crowe SM, Luchters S
AIDS Res Ther19. 2017 Jan; 14(1):3
- Prevalence and correlates of sexual and gender-based violence against Chinese adolescent women who are involved in commercial sex: a cross-sectional study.
Zhang XD, Myers S, Yang HJ, Li Y, Li JH, Luo W, Luchters S
BMJ Open. 2016 Dec; 6(12):e013409
- Safeguarding maternal and child health in South Africa by starting the Child Support Grant before birth: Design lessons from pregnancy support programmes in 27 countries.
Chersich MF, Luchters S, Blaauw D, Scorgie F, Kern E, Van den Heever A, Rees H, Peach E, Kharadi S, Fonn S
S Afr Med J. 2016 Dec; 106(12):1192-1210
- Performance of point-of-care CD4 testing technologies in resource-constrained settings: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Pham MD, Agius PA, Romero L, McGlynn P, Anderson D, Crowe SM, Luchters S
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Oct; 16(1):592
- Epidemiology of HPV Genotypes among HIV Positive Women in Kenya: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis.
Menon S, Wusiman A, Boily MC, Kariisa M, Mabeya H, Luchters S, Forland F, Rossi R, Callens S, Vanden Broeck D
PLoS One. 2016 Oct; 11(10):e0163965
- "A Baby Was an Added Burden": Predictors and Consequences of Unintended Pregnancies for Female Sex Workers in Mombasa, Kenya: A Mixed-Methods Study.
Luchters S, Bosire W, Feng A, Richter ML, King'ola N, Ampt F, Temmerman M, Chersich MF
PLoS One. 2016 Sep; 11(9):e0162871
- Mapping of research on maternal health interventions in low- and middle-income countries: a review of 2292 publications between 2000 and 2012.
Chersich M, Blaauw D, Dumbaugh M, Penn-Kekana L, Thwala S, Bijlmakers L, Vargas E, Kern E, Kavanagh J, Dhana A, Becerra-Posada F, Mlotshwa L, Becerril-Montekio V, Mannava P, Luchters S, Pham MD, Portela AG, Rees H
Global Health. 2016 Sep; 12(1):52
- Acceptability and feasibility of point-of-care CD4 testing on HIV continuum of care in low and middle income countries: a systematic review.
Pham MD, Agius PA, Romero L, McGlynn P, Anderson D, Crowe SM, Luchters S
BMC Health Serv Res. 2016 Aug; 16(1):343
- Male involvement in reproductive, maternal and child health: a qualitative study of policymaker and practitioner perspectives in the Pacific.
Davis J, Vyankandondera J, Luchters S, Simon D, Holmes W
Reprod Health. 2016 Jul; 13(1):81
- Sexual and Reproductive Health of Unmarried Young People in Asia and the Pacific: A review of knowledge, behaviours and outcomes. (Burnet Institute Report)
Kennedy E, Willenberg L, Mohamed Y, Luchters S
Report prepared for UNFPA Asia Pacific Regional Office, UNESCO, WHO. 2016 Jul
- A novel point-of-care testing strategy for sexually transmitted infections among pregnant women in high-burden settings: results of a feasibility study in Papua New Guinea.
Badman SG, Vallely LM, Toliman P, Kariwiga G, Lote B, Pomat W, Holmer C, Guy R, Luchters S, Morgan C, Garland SM, Tabrizi S, Whiley D, Rogerson SJ, Mola G, Wand H, Donovan B, Causer L, Kaldor J, Vallely A
BMC Infect Dis. 2016 Jun; 16(1):250
- Sexual and reproductive health risks amongst female adolescents who use amphetamine-type stimulants and sell sex: a qualitative inquiry in Yunnan, China.
Zhang XD, Kelly-Hanku A, Chai JJ, Luo J, Temmerman M, Luchters S
Harm Reduct J. 2015 Oct; 12(1):34
- A qualitative exploration of the emotional wellbeing and support needs of new mothers from Afghanistan living in Melbourne, Australia.
Russo A, Lewis B, Joyce A, Crockett B, Luchters S
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015 Aug; 15(1):197
- Attitudes and behaviours of maternal health care providers in interactions with clients: a systematic review.
Mannava P, Durrant K, Fisher J, Chersich M, Luchters S
Global Health. 2015 Aug; 11(1):36
- Challenging gender inequity through male involvement in maternal and newborn health: critical assessment of an emerging evidence base.
Comrie-Thomson L, Tokhi M, Ampt F, Portela A, Chersich M, Khanna R, Luchters S
Cult Health Sex. 2015 Jul; 17(Suppl 2):S177-S189
- Men Matter: Engaging Men in MNCH Outcomes.
Comrie-Thomson L, Mavhu W, Makungu C, Nahar Q, Khan R, Davis J, Hamdani S, Stillo E, Luchters S
Report prepared for Plan Canada. 2015 Jul
- Sexual and Reproductive Health of Young People in Asia and the Pacific: A review of issues, policies and programmes. (Burnet Institue Report)
Kennedy E, Willenberg L, Mohamed Y, Luchters S
UNFPA Asia Pacific Regional Office, UNESCO, WHO. 2015 Jul
- Correlates of male involvement in maternal and newborn health: a cross-sectional study of men in a peri-urban region of Myanmar.
Ampt F, Mon MM, Than KK, Khin MM, Agius PA, Morgan C, Davis J, Luchters S
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2015 May; 15(1):122
- 'Women at risk': the health and social vulnerabilities of the regular female partners of men who inject drugs in Delhi, India.
Sharma V, Sarna A, Luchters S, Sebastian M, Degomme O, Saraswati LR, Madan I, Thior I, Tun W
Cult Health Sex. 2015 Apr; 17(5):623-637
- Sexual and Reproductive Health Knowledge, Contraception Uptake, and Factors Associated with Unmet Need for Modern Contraception among Adolescent Female Sex Workers in China.
Lim MS, Zhang XD, Kennedy E, Li Y, Yang Y, Li L, Li YX, Temmerman M, Luchters S
PLoS One. 2015 Jan; 10(1):e0115435
- Morbidity in relation to feeding mode in African HIV-exposed, uninfected infants during the first 6 mo of life: the Kesho Bora study.
Kirsten A Bork, Amandine Cournil, Jennifer S Read, Marie-Louise Newell, Cecile Cames, Nicolas Meda, Stanley Luchters, Grace Mbatia, Kevindra Naidu, Philippe Gaillard, Isabelle de Vincenzi
Am J Clin Nutr. 2014 Dec; 100(6):1559-1568
- High rates of abortion and low levels of contraceptive use among adolescent female sex workers in Kunming, China: A cross-sectional analysis.
Zhang XD, Kennedy E, Temmerman M, Li Y, Zhang WH, Luchters S
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2014 Jul; 19(5):368-378
- 'There are a lot of new people in town: but they are here for soccer, not for business' a qualitative inquiry into the impact of the 2010 soccer world cup on sex work in South Africa.
Richter ML, Scorgie F, Chersich MF, Luchters S
Global Health. 2014 Jun; 10:45
- Systematic review of facility-based sexual and reproductive health services for female sex workers in Africa.
Dhana A, Luchters S, Moore L, Lafort Y, Roy A, Scorgie F, Chersich M
Global Health. 2014 Jun; 10(1):46
- Effects of hazardous and harmful alcohol use on HIV incidence and sexual behaviour: a cohort study of Kenyan female sex workers.
Chersich MF, Bosire W, King Ola N, Temmerman M, Luchters S
Global Health. 2014 Apr; 10(1):22
- Translation, cultural adaptation and field-testing of the Thinking Healthy Program for Vietnam.
Fisher J, Nguyen H, Mannava P, Tran H, Dam T, Tran H, Tran T, Durrant K, Rahman A, Luchters S
Global Health. 2014 Mar; 10(1):37
- Postpartum weight change among HIV-infected mothers by antiretroviral prophylaxis and infant feeding modality in a research setting.
Cames C, Cournil A, de Vincenzi I, Gaillard P, Meda N, Luchters S, Nduati R, Naidu K, Newell ML, Read JS, Bork K; Kesho Bora Study Group.
AIDS. 2014 Jan; 28(1):85-94
- Migration Status, Work Conditions and Health Utilization of Female Sex Workers in Three South African Cities.
Richter M, Chersich MF, Vearey J, Sartorius B, Temmerman M, Luchters S
J Immigr Minor Health. 2014 Jan; 16(1):7-17
- Maternal anaemia and duration of zidovudine in antiretroviral regimens for preventing mother-to-child transmission: a randomized trial in three African countries.
Sartorius BK, Chersich MF, Mwaura M, Meda N, Temmerman M, Newell ML, Farley TM, Luchters S
BMC Infect Dis. 2013 Nov; 13(1):522
- The contribution of emotional partners to sexual risk taking and violence among female sex workers in Mombasa, Kenya: a cohort study.
Luchters S, Richter M, Bosire W, Nelson G, King’ola N, Xudong Z, Temmerman M, Chersich M
PLoS One. 2013 Jul; 8(8):e68855
- HIV-1 Autologous Neutralization Activity Associated with Mother to Child Transmission in utero.
Baan E, de Ronde A, Stax M, Sanders R, Luchters S, Vyankandondera J, Lange JMA, Pollakis G, Paxton W
PLoS One. 2013 Jul; 8(7):e69274
- Interventions for common perinatal mental disorders in women in low- and middle-income countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis.
Rahman A, Fisher J, Bower P, Luchters S, Tran T, Yasamy T, Saxena S, Waheed W
Bull WHO. 2013 Jul; 91(8):593-601
- The case for investing in family planning in the pacific: costs and benefits of reducing unmet need for contraception in Vanuatu and the Solomon Islands.
Kennedy EC, Mackesy-Buckley S, Subramaniam S, Demmke A, Latu R, Robertson AS, Tiban K, Tokon A, Luchters S
Reprod Health. 2013 Jun; 10(1):30
- Family Planning Knowledge, Attitude and Practice among Married Couples in Jimma Zone, Ethiopia.
Tilahun T, Coene G, Luchters S, Kassahun W, Leye E, Temmerman M, Degomme O
PLoS One. 2013 Apr; 8(4):e61335
- Characteristics, sexual behaviour and risk factors of female, male and transgender sex workers in South Africa.
Richter ML, Chersich M, Temmerman M, Luchters S
S Afr Med J. 2013 Apr; 103(4):246-251
- Priority interventions to reduce HIV transmission in sex work settings in sub-Saharan Africa and delivery of these services.
Chersich MF, Luchters S, Ntaganira I, Gerbase A, Lo YR, Scorgie F, Steen R
J Int AIDS Soc. 2013 Mar; 16(1):17980
- Effectiveness of a community-based positive prevention intervention for people living with HIV who are not receiving antiretroviral treatment: a prospective cohort study.
Sarna A, Luchters S, Musenge E, Okal J, Chersich M, Tun W, Mall S, Kingola N, Kalibala S
Global Health: Science and Practice. 2013 Feb; 1(1):52-67
- Male Sex Workers Who Sell Sex to Men Also Engage in Anal Intercourse with Women: Evidence from Mombasa, Kenya
Mannava P, Geibel S, King'ola N, Temmerman M, Luchters S
PLoS One. 2013 Jan; 8(1):e52547
- Vulnerabilities, health needs and predictors of high-risk sexual behaviour among female adolescent sex workers in Kunming, China.
Zhang XD, Temmerman M, Li Y, Luo W, Luchters S
Sex Transm Infect. 2013 Jan; 89(3):237-44
- Relationship between mortality and feeding modality among children born to HIV-infected mothers in a research setting: The Kesho Bora Study.
Cournil A, De Vincenzi I, Gaillard P, Cames C, Fao P, Luchters S, Rollins N, Newell ML, Bork K, Read JS; for the Kesho Bora Study Group.
AIDS. 2013 Jan; 27(10):1621-1630
- Female sex work and international sport events - no major changes in demand or supply of paid sex during the 2010 Soccer World Cup: a cross-sectional study.
Richter M, Luchters S, Ndlovu D, Temmerman M, Chersich MF
BMC Public Health. 2012 Sep; 12(1):763
- Maternal HIV-1 disease progression 18-24 months postdelivery according to antiretroviral prophylaxis regimen (triple-antiretroviral prophylaxis during pregnancy and breastfeeding vs zidovudine/single-dose nevirapine prophylaxis): The Kesho Bora randomized
Kesho Bora Study Group (including Professor Stanley Luchters)
Clin Infect Dis. 2012 Aug; 55(3):449-460
- Predictors of recurrence of prolapse after procedure for prolapse and haemorrhoids.
Festen, S., Molthof, H., van Geloven, A., Luchters, S., Gerhards, M.
Colorectal Dis. 2012 Aug; 14(8):989-996
- Trends and pattern of antimicrobial resistance among blood culture isolates of selected bacterial pathogens in South Africa, 2005-2009.
Nyasulu P, Perovic O, Murray J, Luchters S, Chasela C, Koornhof H
Int J Infect Diseases. 2012 Jul; 16:e428
- HIV Type 1 Mother-to-Child Transmission Facilitated by Distinctive Glycosylation Sites in the gp120 Envelope Glycoprotein.
Baan E, de Ronde A, Luchters S, Vyankandondera J, Lange JM, Pollakis G, Paxton WA
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2012 Jul; 28(7):715-724
- Sexual behavior of HIV-positive adults not accessing HIV treatment in Mombasa, Kenya: Defining their prevention needs.
Sarna A, Luchters S, Pickett M, Chersich M, Okal J, Geibel S, Kingola N, Temmerman M
AIDS Res Ther. 2012 Mar; 9:9
- Changes in sexual behaviour among HIV-infected women in West and East Africa in the first 24 months after delivery.
Irungu E, Chersich MF, Sanon C, Chege R, Gaillard P, Temmerman M, Read JS, Luchters S for the Kesho Bora Study Group
AIDS. 2012 Feb; 26(8):997-1007
- The impact of peer outreach on HIV knowledge and prevention behaviours of male sex workers in Mombasa, Kenya.
Geibel S, King'ola N, Temmerman M, Luchters S
Sex Transm Infect. 2012 Feb; 88(5):357-362
- Terminations of pregnancy in the European Union.
M Gissler, I Fronteira, A Jahn, H Karro, C Moreau, M Oliveira da Silva, J Olsen, C Savona-Ventura, M Temmerman, E Hemminki and REPROSTAT group (including AProf. Stanley Luchters)
BJOG. 2012 Feb; 119(3):324-332
- HIV testing in Europe: mapping policies.
Deblonde J, Meulemans H, Callens S, Luchters S, Temmerman M, Hamers FF
Health Policy. 2011 Dec; 103(2-3):101-110
- The risk factor profile of women with secondary infertility: an unmatched case-control study in Kigali, Rwanda.
Nathalie Dhont, Stanley Luchters, Claude Muvunyi, Joseph Vyankandondera, Ludwig De Naeyer, Marleen Temmerman, Janneke van de Wijgert
BMC Womens Health. 2011 Jun; 11:32
- Anal intercourse among female sex workers in East Africa is associated with other high-risk behaviours for HIV.
Nienke J Veldhuijzen, Chantal Ingabire, Stanley Luchters, Wilkister Bosire, Sarah Braunstein, Matthew Chersich, Janneke van de Wijgert
Sex Health. 2011 Jun; 8(2):251-254
- Contraceptive needs of female sex workers in Kenya - a cross-sectional study.
Elizabeth G Sutherland, Jane Alaii, Sharon Tsui, Stanley Luchters, Jerry Okal, Nzioke King'ola, Marleen Temmerman, Barbara Janowitz
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2011 Jun; 16(3):173-182
- Use of AUDIT, and measures of drinking frequency and patterns to detect associations between alcohol and sexual behaviour in male sex workers in Kenya.
Stanley Luchters, Scott Geibel, Masila Syengo, Daniel Lango, Nzioki King'ola, Marleen Temmerman, Matthew F Chersich
BMC Public Health. 2011 May; 11:384
- Sexual and physical violence against female sex workers in Kenya: a qualitative enquiry.
Jerry Okal, Matthew F Chersich, Sharon Tsui, Elizabeth Sutherland, Marleen Temmerman, Stanley Luchters
AIDS Care. 2011 May; 23(5):612-618
- Triple antiretroviral compared with zidovudine and single-dose nevirapine prophylaxis during pregnancy and breastfeeding for prevention of mother-to-child transmission of HIV-1 (Kesho Bora study): a randomised controlled trial.
Isabelle de Vincenzi
Lancet Infect Dis. 2011 Mar; 11(3):171-180
- Determinants of unmet need for contraception among Chinese migrants: a worksite-based survey.
Peter Decat, Wei-Hong Zhang, Eileen Moyer, Yimin Cheng, Zhi-Jin Wang, Ci-Yong Lu, Shi-Zhong Wu, Ruta Jolanta Nadisauskiene, Stanley Luchters, Myriam Deveugele, Marleen Temmerman
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2011 Feb; 16(1):26-35
- HIV infection and sexual behaviour in primary and secondary infertile relationships: a case--control study in Kigali, Rwanda.
Nathalie Dhont, Claude Muvunyi, Stanley Luchters, Joseph Vyankandondera, Ludwig De Naeyer, Marleen Temmerman, Janneke van de Wijgert
Sex Transm Infect. 2011 Feb; 87(1):28-34
- Dried blood spot HIV-1 RNA quantification using open real-time systems in South Africa and Burkina Faso.
Johannes Viljoen, Sandrine Gampini, Sivapragashini Danaviah, Diane Valea, Sureshnee Pillay, Dramane Kania, Nicolas Meda, Marie-Louise Newell, Philippe Van de Perre, Francois Rouet
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2010 Nov; 55(3):290-298
- Sexual violence, HSV-2 and HIV are important predictors for infertility in Rwanda.
N Dhont, J van de Wijgert, S Luchters, C Muvunyi, J Vyankandondera, M Temmerman
Hum Reprod. 2010 Oct; 25(10):2507-2515
- Concurrency and the limited effectiveness of behavioural interventions on sexual risk behaviour of youth in sub-Saharan Africa.
Kristien Michielsen, Matthew Chersich, Stanley Luchters, Ronan Van Rossem, Marleen Temmerman
AIDS. 2010 Aug; 24(13):2140-2142
- Perceived stigma among patients receiving antiretroviral treatment: a prospective randomised trial comparing an m-DOT strategy with standard-of-care in Kenya.
Susan Kaai, Sandra Bullock, Avina Sarna, Matthew Chersich, Stanley Luchters, Scott Geibel, Paul Munyao, Kishorchandra Mandaliya, Marleen Temmerman, Naomi Rutenburg
SAHARA J. 2010 Aug; 7(2):62-70
- Barriers to HIV testing in Europe: a systematic review.
Jessika Deblonde, Petra De Koker, Francoise F Hamers, Johann Fontaine, Stanley Luchters, Marleen Temmerman
Eur J Public Health. 2010 Aug; 20(4):422-432
- Gender differences and factors associated with treatment-seeking behaviour for infertility in Rwanda.
N Dhont, S Luchters, W Ombelet, J Vyankandondera, A Gasarabwe, J van de Wijgert, M Temmerman
Hum Reprod. 2010 Aug; 25(8):2024-2030
- Reproductive health services for populations at high risk of HIV: Performance of a night clinic in Tete province, Mozambique.
Yves Lafort, Diederike Geelhoed, Luisa Cumba, Carla das Dores Mosse Lazaro, Wim Delva, Stanley Luchters, Marleen Temmerman
BMC Health Serv Res. 2010 May; 10:144
- Effectiveness of HIV prevention for youth in sub-Saharan Africa: systematic review and meta-analysis of randomized and nonrandomized trials.
Kristien Michielsen, Matthew F Chersich, Stanley Luchters, Petra De Koker, Ronan Van Rossem, Marleen Temmerman
AIDS. 2010 May; 24(8):1193-1202
- A Safe Motherhood project in Kenya: assessment of antenatal attendance, service provision and implications for PMTCT.
W Delva, E Yard, S Luchters, M F Chersich, E Muigai, V Oyier, M Temmerman
Trop Med Int Health. 2010 May; 15(5):584-591
- Sex work and the 2010 FIFA World Cup: time for public health imperatives to prevail.
Marlise L Richter, Matthew F Chersich, Fiona Scorgie, Stanley Luchters, Marleen Temmerman, Richard Steen
Global Health. 2010 Feb; 6(1):1
- Implementation of clinic-based modified-directly observed therapy (m-DOT) for ART; experiences in Mombasa, Kenya.
Paul Munyao, Stanley Luchters, Matthew F Chersich, Susan Kaai, Scott Geibel, Kishorchandra N Mandaliya, Marleen Temmerman, Naomi Rutenberg, Avina Sarna
AIDS Care. 2010 Feb; 22(2):187-194
- Comparison of the Generic HIV Viral Load assay with the Amplicor HIV-1 monitor v1.5 and Nuclisens HIV-1 EasyQ v1.2 techniques for plasma HIV-1 RNA quantitation of non-B subtypes: the Kesho Bora preparatory study.
Francois Rouet, Vincent Foulongne, Johannes Viljoen, Kim Steegen, Pierre Becquart, Diane Valea, Sivapragashini Danaviah, Michel Segondy, Chris Verhofstede, Philippe Van de Perre
J Virol Methods. 2010 Feb; 163(2):253-257
- Association of HIV infection with distribution and viral load of HPV types in Kenya: a survey with 820 female sex workers.
Stanley M F Luchters, Davy Vanden Broeck, Matthew F Chersich, Annalene Nel, Wim Delva, Kishor Mandaliya, Christophe E Depuydt, Patricia Claeys, John-Paul Bogers, Marleen Temmerman
BMC Infect Dis. 2010 Jan; 10:18
- WHO: Antiretroviral drugs for treating pregnant women and preventing HIV infections in infants - Recommendations for a public health approach, 2010 version
WHO authors including Stanley Luchters (International Centre for Reproductive Health, Ghent University, Ghent, Belgium).
World Health Organization. 2010 Jan
- Maternal morbidity in the first year after childbirth in Mombasa Kenya; a needs assessment.
Matthew F Chersich, Nicole Kley, Stanley M F Luchters, Carol Njeru, Elodie Yard, Mary J Othigo, Marleen Temmerman
BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2009 Nov; 9:51
- Changes in sexual risk taking with antiretroviral treatment: influence of context and gender norms in Mombasa, Kenya.
Avina Sarna, Matthew Chersich, Jerry Okal, Stanley M F Luchters, Kishorchandra N Mandaliya, Naomi Rutenberg, Marleen Temmerman
Cult Health Sex. 2009 Nov; 11(8):783-797
- Social context, sexual risk perceptions and stigma: HIV vulnerability among male sex workers in Mombasa, Kenya.
Jerry Okal, Stanley Luchters, Scott Geibel, Matthew F Chersich, Daniel Lango, Marleen Temmerman
Cult Health Sex. 2009 Nov; 11(8):811-826
- Effectiveness of antiretroviral therapy and development of drug resistance in HIV-1 infected patients in Mombasa, Kenya.
Kim Steegen, Stanley Luchters, Kenny Dauwe, Jacqueline Reynaerts, Kishor Mandaliya, Walter Jaoko, Jean Plum, Marleen Temmerman, Chris Verhofstede
AIDS Res Ther. 2009 Jun; 6:12
- WHO: RAPID ADVICE - Use of antiretroviral drugs for treating pregnant women and preventing HIV infection in infants, 2009
WHO commissioned. Including Stanley Luchters
World Health Organization. 2009 Jan
- Short- and long-term efficacy of modified directly observed antiretroviral treatment in Mombasa, Kenya: a randomized trial.
Avina Sarna, Stanley Luchters, Scott Geibel, Matthew F Chersich, Paul Munyao, Susan Kaai, Kishorchandra N Mandaliya, Khadija S Shikely, Marleen Temmerman, Naomi Rutenberg
J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2008 Aug; 48(5):611-619
- Factors associated with self-reported unprotected anal sex among male sex workers in Mombasa, Kenya.
Scott Geibel, Stanley Luchters, Nzioki King'Ola, Eka Esu-Williams, Agnes Rinyiru, Waimar Tun
Sex Transm Dis. 2008 Aug; 35(8):746-752
- Safer sexual behaviors after 12 months of antiretroviral treatment in Mombasa, Kenya: a prospective cohort.
Stanley Luchters, Avina Sarna, Scott Geibel, Matthew F Chersich, Paul Munyao, Susan Kaai, Kishorchandra N Mandaliya, Khadija S Shikely, Naomi Rutenberg, Marleen Temmerman
AIDS Patient Care STDS. 2008 Jul; 22(7):587-594
- Impact of five years of peer-mediated interventions on sexual behavior and sexually transmitted infections among female sex workers in Mombasa, Kenya.
Stanley Luchters, Matthew F Chersich, Agnes Rinyiru, Mary-Stella Barasa, Nzioki King'ola, Kishorchandra Mandaliya, Wilkister Bosire, Sam Wambugu, Peter Mwarogo, Marleen Temmerman
BMC Public Health. 2008 Apr; 8:143
- Sexual risk behaviour and HAART: a comparative study of HIV-infected persons on HAART and on preventive therapy in Kenya.
A Sarna, S M F Luchters, S Geibel, S Kaai, P Munyao, K S Shikely, K Mandaliya, J van Dam, M Temmerman
Int J STD AIDS. 2008 Feb; 19(2):85-89
- Secrecy, disclosure and accidental discovery: perspectives of diaphragm users in Mombasa, Kenya.
Jerry Okal, Jonathan Stadler, Wilkister Ombidi, Irene Jao, Stanley Luchters, Marleen Temmerman, Matthew F Chersich
Cult Health Sex. 2008 Jan; 10(1):13-26
- HIV testing and counselling for women attending child health clinics: an opportunity for entry to prevent mother-to-child transmission and HIV treatment.
M F Chersich, S M F Luchters, M J Othigo, E Yard, K Mandaliya, M Temmerman
Int J STD AIDS. 2008 Jan; 19(1):42-46
- Morbidity in the first year postpartum among HIV-infected women in Kenya.
M F Chersich, S M Luchters, E Yard, J M Othigo, N Kley, M Temmerman
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2008 Jan; 100(1):45-51
- Acceptability of the diaphragm in Mombasa Kenya: a 6-month prospective study.
Stanley Luchters, Matthew F Chersich, Irene Jao, Anouk Schroth, Swaleh Chidagaya, Kishor Mandaliya, Marleen Temmerman
Eur J Contracept Reprod Health Care. 2007 Dec; 12(4):345-353
- Evaluation of two commercially available alternatives for HIV-1 viral load testing in resource-limited settings.
Kim Steegen, Stanley Luchters, Nancy De Cabooter, Jacqueline Reynaerts, Kishor Mandaliya, Jean Plum, Walter Jaoko, Chris Verhofstede, Marleen Temmerman
J Virol Methods. 2007 Dec; 146(1-2):178-187
- Heavy episodic drinking among Kenyan female sex workers is associated with unsafe sex, sexual violence and sexually transmitted infections.
M F Chersich, S M F Luchters, I M Malonza, P Mwarogo, N King'ola, M Temmerman
Int J STD AIDS. 2007 Nov; 18(11):764-769
- Feasibility of detecting human immunodeficiency virus type 1 drug resistance in DNA extracted from whole blood or dried blood spots.
Kim Steegen, Stanley Luchters, Els Demecheleer, Kenny Dauwe, Kishor Mandaliya, Walter Jaoko, Jean Plum, Marleen Temmerman, Chris Verhofstede
J Clin Microbiol. 2007 Oct; 45(10):3342-3351
- The Pap smear for detection of bacterial vaginosis.
A Karani, H De Vuyst, S Luchters, J Othigo, K Mandaliya, M F Chersich, M Temmerman
Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 2007 Jul; 98(1):20-23
- Are you on the market?: a capture-recapture enumeration of men who sell sex to men in and around Mombasa, Kenya.
Scott Geibel, Elisabeth M van der Elst, Nzioki King'ola, Stanley Luchters, Alun Davies, Esther M Getambu, Norbert Peshu, Susan M Graham, R Scott McClelland, Eduard J Sanders
AIDS. 2007 Jun; 21(10):1349-1354
- Increasing the scope and intensity of interventions to prevent HIV infection in infants: best interests of women and children
Chersich MF, Luchters SMF and Temmerman M
SA J HIV Med. 2007 Mar; March:15-18
- Use of self home-made diaphragm for protection against pregnancy and sexually-transmitted infections: case report.
A Schroth, S Luchters, M F Chersich, I Jao, M Temmerman
East Afr Med J. 2007 Jan; 84(1):35-37
- Validity of self-reported 'safe sex' among female sex workers in Mombasa, Kenya--PSA analysis.
M F Gallo, F M Behets, M J Steiner, S C Thomsen, W Ombidi, S Luchters, C Toroitich-Ruto, M M Hobbs
Int J STD AIDS. 2007 Jan; 18(1):33-38
- A prospective study assessing the effects of introducing the female condom in a sex worker population in Mombasa, Kenya.
S C Thomsen, W Ombidi, C Toroitich-Ruto, E L Wong, H O Tucker, R Homan, N Kingola, S Luchters
Sex Transm Infect. 2006 Oct; 82(5):397-402
- Efavirenz use during pregnancy and for women of child-bearing potential.
Matthew F Chersich, Michael F Urban, Francois W D Venter, Tina Wessels, Amanda Krause, Glenda E Gray, Stanley Luchters, Dennis L Viljoen
AIDS Res Ther. 2006 Apr; 3:11
- WHO: Sexual and reproductive health of women living with HIV/AIDS - 2006
Guidelines on care, treatment and support for women living with HIV/AIDS and their children in resource-constrained settings
Those participating in the writing committee or in peer-reviewing the drafts (or both) include: Marge Berer, Ward Cates, Anindya Chatterjee, Lynn Collins, Vincent Fauveau, Catherine Hankins, Isabelle Heard, Philippe Lepage, Stanley Luchters, Elizabeth Lule, Chewe Luo, James MacIntyre, Mary- Louise Newell, Elizabeth Preble, Nathan Shaffer, Marleen Temmerman, Eric Van Praag, Beatrice Were.
World Health Organization. 2006 Jan
News Articles (12)