Rosemary Ffrench is an experienced immunologist whose research interests include studying immunity to viral infections, vaccine development and immunomonitoring of human clinical trials.
She obtained her PhD in Viral Immunology at the University of Melbourne, followed by a post-doctoral fellowship at the National Institutes of Health (USA). She spent four years at Westmead Hospital working on immunity to HIV, followed by seven years as Senior Scientist at Sydney Children’s Hospital, where her research focused on human immunity to HIV and HCV, and in HIV vaccine development and testing.
In 2004 she moved to Burnet Institute in Melbourne, where she increased her involvement in clinical and translational research, particularly in vaccine development and testing. As an NHMRC Industry Fellow she worked with Select Vaccines in development of their VLP vaccine program. During this period she also established the Burnet ImmunoMonitoring Facility to perform immunological analyses of vaccine and immunotherapies in human clinical trials.
Rose is currently Principal Fellow & Head of Viral Immunology Laboratory at Burnet Institute and has an academic position in the Department of Immunology at Monash University.
- 2015-current: Chief Science Officer, Scientific Advisory Board, 360biolabs
- BSc (Hons), Melbourne University, Victoria, Australia
- PhD, Melbourne University, Australia
- A summary of the 20th International Symposium on Hepatitis C Virus and Related Viruses.
Beard MR, Ffrench R, Gowans EJ, Helbig KJ, Eyre NM, Douglas MMW, Grebely J, Ahlenstiel G, Locarnini S, George J, Shackel NA, White PA, Thompson AJ, Drummer H
Gastroenterology. 2014 May; 147(1):E1-E4
- Detection of HCV-Specific IFN-gamma Responses in HCV Antibody and HCV RNA Negative Injecting Drug Users.
Flynn JK, Sacks-Davis R, Higgs P, Aitken C, Moneer S, Suppiah V, Tracy L, Ffrench R, Bowden S, Drummer H, George J, Bharadwaj M, Hellard M
Hepat Mon. 2014 Jan; 14(1):e14678
- Early IL-10 predominant responses are associated with progression to chronic hepatitis C virus infection in injecting drug users.
Flynn JK, Dore GJ, Hellard M, Yeung B, Rawlinson WD, White PA, Kaldor JM, Lloyd AR, Ffrench RA
J Viral Hepat. 2011 Aug; 18(8):549-561
- Clearance of hepatitis C virus and T cell response in a child with anti-liver kidney microsomal-1 antibodies treated with steroids.
Kansal S, Goy K, Ffrench R, Hardikar W
J Paediatr Child Health. 2011 Jun; 47(6):389-391
- Protective immunity against hepatitis C virus infection.
Elliott LN, Lloyd AR, Ziegler JB, Ffrench RA
Immunol Cell Biol. 2006 Jun; 84(3):239-249
- Prolonged illness after infectious mononucleosis is associated with altered immunity but not with increased viral load.
Barbara Cameron, Mandvi Bharadwaj, Jacqueline Burrows, Chrysa Fazou, Denis Wakefield, Ian Hickie, Rosemary Ffrench, Rajiv Khanna, Andrew Lloyd
J Infect Dis. 2006 Mar; 193(5):664-671
- A randomized, placebo-controlled phase I trial of DNA prime, recombinant fowlpox virus boost prophylactic vaccine for HIV-1.
Anthony D Kelleher, Rebekah L Puls, Mark Bebbington, David Boyle, Rosemary Ffrench, Stephen J Kent, Sue Kippax, Damian F J Purcell, Scott Thomson, Handan Wand, David A Cooper, Sean Emery
AIDS. 2006 Jan; 20(2):294-297
- Development of a synthetic consensus sequence scrambled antigen HIV-1 vaccine designed for global use.
Thomson SA, Jaramillo AB, Shoobridge M, Dunstan KJ, Everett B, Ranasinghe C, Kent SJ, Gao K, Medveckzy J, Ffrench RA, Ramshaw IA
Vaccine. 2005 Sep; 23(38):4647-4657
- Intrahepatic and peripheral blood virus-specific cytotoxic T lymphocyte activity is associated with a response to combination IFN-alpha and ribavirin treatment among patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection.
A J Freeman, G Marinos, R A Ffrench, A R Lloyd
J Viral Hepat. 2005 Mar; 12(2):125-129
- Evaluation in macaques of HIV-1 DNA vaccines containing primate CpG motifs and fowlpoxvirus vaccines co-expressing IFNgamma or IL-12.
C Jane Dale, Robert De Rose, Kim M Wilson, Hayley A Croom, Scott Thomson, Barbara E H Coupar, Alistair Ramsay, Damian F J Purcell, Rosemary Ffrench, Matthew Law, Sean Emery, David A Cooper, Ian A Ramshaw, David B Boyle, Stephen J Kent
Vaccine. 2004 Nov; 23(2):188-197
- Prevalence of production of virus-specific interferon-gamma among seronegative hepatitis C-resistant subjects reporting injection drug use.
Anthony J Freeman, Rosemary A Ffrench, Jeffrey J Post, Charles E Harvey, Stuart J Gilmour, Peter A White, George Marinos, Ingrid van Beek, William D Rawlinson, Andrew R Lloyd
J Infect Dis. 2004 Sep; 190(6):1093-1097
- Polymorphism report: identification of two common single nucleotide polymorphisms in the human toll-like receptor 5 (TLR5) gene.
Y L Kao, R A Ffrench, G Williams
Mol Cell Probes. 2004 Jun; 18(3):205
- Clearance of hepatitis C viremia associated with cellular immunity in the absence of seroconversion in the hepatitis C incidence and transmission in prisons study cohort.
Jeffrey J Post, Yong Pan, Anthony J Freeman, Charles E Harvey, Peter A White, Patricia Palladinetti, Paul S Haber, George Marinos, Michael H Levy, John M Kaldor, Kate A Dolan, Rosemary A Ffrench, Andrew R Lloyd, William D Rawlinson
J Infect Dis. 2004 May; 189(10):1846-1855
- Effector HIV-specific cytotoxic T-lymphocyte activity in long-term nonprogressors: associations with viral replication and progression.
Elizabeth Keoshkerian, Lesley J Ashton, Danielle G Smith, John B Ziegler, John M Kaldor, David A Cooper, Graeme J Stewart, Rosemary A Ffrench
J Med Virol. 2003 Dec; 71(4):483-491
- Altered lymphocyte heat shock protein 70 expression in patients with HIV disease.
Linda L Agnew, Mark Kelly, Jonathan Howard, Sarangapany Jeganathan, Marijka Batterham, Rosemary A Ffrench, Julian Gold, Kenneth Watson
AIDS. 2003 Sep; 17(13):1985-1988
- Expression of the chemokine IP-10 (CXCL10) by hepatocytes in chronic hepatitis C virus infection correlates with histological severity and lobular inflammation.
Charles E Harvey, Jeffrey J Post, Patricia Palladinetti, Anthony J Freeman, Rosemary A Ffrench, Rakesh K Kumar, George Marinos, Andrew R Lloyd
J Leukoc Biol. 2003 Sep; 74(3):360-369
- Transmembrane T-cell receptor peptides inhibit B- and natural killer-cell function.
Nghi T Huynh, Rosemary A Ffrench, Ross A Boadle, Nicholas Manolios
Immunology. 2003 Apr; 108(4):458-464
- The presence of an intrahepatic cytotoxic T lymphocyte response is associated with low viral load in patients with chronic hepatitis C virus infection.
Anthony J Freeman, Yong Pan, Charles E Harvey, Jeffrey J Post, Matthew G Law, Peter A White, William D Rawlinson, Andrew R Lloyd, George Marinos, Rosemary A Ffrench
J Hepatol. 2003 Mar; 38(3):349-356
- Quantification of hepatitis C virus in human liver and serum samples by using LightCycler reverse transcriptase PCR.
Peter A White, Yong Pan, Anthony J Freeman, George Marinos, Rosemary A Ffrench, Andrew R Lloyd, William D Rawlinson
J Clin Microbiol. 2002 Nov; 40(11):4346-4348
- Immunity against hepatitis C virus infection.
Jeffrey J Post, Anthony J Freeman, Charles E Harvey, Rosemary A Ffrench, Andrew R Lloyd
Lancet. 2002 Sep; 360(9338):1020; author reply 1020-1020; author reply 1021
- Immunopathogenesis of hepatitis C virus infection.
A J Freeman, G Marinos, R A Ffrench, A R Lloyd
Immunol Cell Biol. 2001 Dec; 79(6):515-536
- Reduced memory B-cell populations in boys with B-cell dysfunction after bone marrow transplantation for X-linked severe combined immunodeficiency.
S S Ting, S G Tangye, J Wood, R A Ffrench, J B Ziegler
Br J Haematol. 2001 Mar; 112(4):1004-1011
- In vitro HIV-specific CTL activity from HIV-seropositive individuals is augmented by interleukin-12 (IL-12).
J M Young, R A Ffrench, J D Clarkson, G J Stewart, T Liang, R L Tideman, D Packham, D A Fulcher, E M Benson
AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2001 Feb; 17(3):233-242
- Immunogenicity of a human immunodeficiency virus (HIV) polytope vaccine containing multiple HLA A2 HIV CD8(+) cytotoxic T-cell epitopes.
T Woodberry, J Gardner, L Mateo, D Eisen, J Medveczky, I A Ramshaw, S A Thomson, R A Ffrench, S L Elliott, H Firat, F A Lemonnier, A Suhrbier
J Virol. 1999 Jul; 73(7):5320-5325
- Increased frequency of CCR-5 delta 32 heterozygotes among long-term non-progressors with HIV-1 infection. The Australian Long-Term Non-Progressor Study Group.
G J Stewart, L J Ashton, R A Biti, R A Ffrench, B H Bennetts, N R Newcombe, E M Benson, A Carr, D A Cooper, J M Kaldor
AIDS. 1997 Dec; 11(15):1833-1838
- HIV-1 infection in an individual homozygous for the CCR5 deletion allele.
R Biti, R Ffrench, J Young, B Bennetts, G Stewart, T Liang
Nat Med. 1997 Mar; 3(3):252-253
News Articles (5)